The Daily for Sunday Aug 30, 2020

richwmn

today is National Beach Day, Frankenstein Day, and Toasted Marshmallow Day 

Year, n.:  A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.
        -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Meal suggestion for today - Lime-Rosemary Shrimp Skewers

Wine of the day - Penner-Ash Pinot Noir Yamhill-Carlton District Shea Vineyard vintage 2016

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Sint Eustatius eta 9/15
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Fortaleza Brazil eta 9/7
Volendam destination Gibraltar eta 9/8
Westerdam destination Gibraltar eta 9/9

At Sea Indian
Noordam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8
Zuiderdam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8

Balboa Anchorage
Oosterdam

Piraeus
Maasdam

Katakolo
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Koningsdam

Rotterdam
Amsterdam - at Rotterdam Botlek

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Rotterdam
Zaandam

0830World.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily.

Frankenstein Day!  No thanks.  But a trip to the beach might be nice.

Shrimp for dinner sounds good too.  I'll check into the wine.

It's cooler here, and we had a bit of rain last night.  I think I will make Gerry's Butter Tart Slice this afternoon, looking forward to it.🙂

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Stay safe.

• Like 7

Thank you for the daily Rich.  I prefer to take a more optimistic view.  One thing about this year with a lot of disappointments is that it helped bring this community together.  No thanks on Frankenstein today for me either, I usually burn my marshmellows, and the beach is something I don't do very often any more.  I think our beach season ends in just 8 days.

Today’s care list:

Family and friends of Summer slope's neighbor

Mrs Vmax

Fatcat04's Mom and MIL

Mrs Sailingdutchy (Martha) dealing with back issues

Those dealing with wildfires

Rain and relief for Phoenix and much of the southwest

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

The Bird in Hand fire chief and son Jason

Good weather for outdoor services

RIP Chadwick Boseman

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Welcome to the Daily, RubyCam

Front line health workers

Improvement for Pat

Cruising-along’s countdown for a road trip

travelingbums power back

Safe return of MDTF-1 (Maryland Task Force), Urban Search and Rescue team deployed for relief from Laura.  2 of the members are firefighters from my county

Return of Cuban Bars.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

No beach day here with the rain (which are grateful for).  I didn’t even know that Frankenstein had a day - wonder why?

year n:  does sound a bit like 2020, doesn’t it?

4B440391-3B9E-4380-A113-6D38AC35E1CB.jpeg.62b373829fbf1b0ee21e292249b1bd12.jpeg

The meal suggestion sounds delicious.  I’ll wait for @cat shepard to describe the wine 😉 

AFCD29B0-B1C6-40B4-9F9D-45B20B7C675F.thumb.jpeg.c0d2da37d96728df88a9d9da7e01a2a0.jpeg

I’ve pretty much decided that...

E73FEBEF-F198-4730-BB4B-E856FB00CDE4.jpeg.7bd4decbe56b210e5ec295abede41de7.jpeg

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.  Prayers to everyone on Roy’s care list and a big shout out to those on that list and a welcome to our new posters.

Stay safe everyone and don’t forget your mask!

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy, once again thank you for keeping our Care & Celebration lists. @kazu love your tribute to 2020!

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Denise, did not see you yesterday - hope you & David were having fun.  Joy, hope you and Allen kept cool in those temps of yours.

Well National Beach Day might be the easiest for me to celebrate today. I agree with you Roy, the quote is a bit too pessimistic. Meal sounds great. 

Prayers to those who need our support.

Cheers to everyone celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

**************h

Today’s wine may be unavailable. Price is a bit over the top of my budget at $64, but later vintages are as highly rated. They might be a bit cheaper.

I included a picture of the beautiful ceramic bottle that one of the  wines du jour from 10? or so days ago came in. This is an amazing red blend. With or without food. Wine.com has it on sale for $16.99. And they have a “club” you can join for $49/year that gives you free shipping - at least for the continental USA. 

#76 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Aromas of strawberry jam and hibiscus tea. The palate delights with the warm richness of a sweet berry reduction, combined with more savory notes of vanilla, tobacco and earth. Acidity and tannins are beautifully integrated for a soft and silky finish.

WS94
Wine Spectator
Elegant yet dynamic, with violet, raspberry and spiced cinnamon flavors that build richness and structure toward refined tannins. Drink now through 2026.

24C4BE9E-790F-464A-B5F0-0C4EC3C558AD.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 8

image.jpeg.bc7710928fa54cb6fe0567834413fafa.jpeg

Good morning Rich, fellow Daily-ites, My sisters Denise and Ann, and Roy, and kazu. I think Denise said she and David were driving up for a ride and would be off the Daily for a day or so.

Rich thank you for the Daily. Sad to see our ships going off your map. I agree with @cat shepard we should do a farewell toast to the Maasdam and Veendam tonight.

The wine doesn't sound interesting this morning but the bottle looks pretty. I have about 6 shrimp left, perhaps I will make a little appetizer of rosemary and lime for tonight's Happy Hour.

@kazu and Ann, nothing showed up on the deer cam. I think I'll still bring the feeders in for a few more nights. Our birds were yakking it up at 6 wanting their breakfast..  

I felt so bad for the victims of hurricane Laura. What a miserable mess. We have them in our prayers along with Roy's prayer list.

Blessings to all today. Take care, be safe, don't give up the ship. Love ya'll.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@kazu and Ann, nothing showed up on the deer cam. I think I'll still bring the feeders in for a few more nights. Our birds were yakking it up at 6 wanting their breakfast

I wonder if you will have to leave the bird feeders out (or at least one) to lure the invader to get caught on the deer cam?  At least that way you will know if it was a one time thing or who the invader is 😉 

• Like 3

Just now, kazu said:

I wonder if you will have to leave the bird feeders out (or at least one) to lure the invader to get caught on the deer cam?  At least that way you will know if it was a one time thing or who the invader is 😉 

Great idea Jacqui! I will ask our neighbor to put it up tonight. Those little critters out there can out smart us!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its a wonderful cool and sunny day, perfect for our outdoor church service.

I will pass on the dinner suggestion, having steak on the grill. 
I had beach day last Sunday, but hope I can get there again. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Have a great day.

• Like 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Who wouldn't love to be celebrating National Beach Day on one of the most beautiful beaches: Half Moon Cay?  I'm pretty sure 2020 could be described as a Frankenstein year.

It's looking like a beautiful day on the "frozen tundra", but we've been told that the cooler weather is going to start any time.  Until it does, we will enjoy our yard and the pleasure of being outdoors unencumbered by sweaters or coats.  I've got some shrimp in the freezer that I could put on skewers to grill with lime juice and rosemary, for a nice light appetizer tonight.  And wine. 

Looking ahead, we read that the Old Farmer's Almanac has predicted a "snow train" for our area from December through March; that means we keep our high top winter boots on standby, as the shorties aren't going to cut it this year. 

Prayers for all who need them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasts and cheers to celebrations today.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The wine doesn't sound interesting this morning but the bottle looks pretty.

Sorry Joy, in my rush, I left a very confusing wine mess. The description & ratings are of today‘s Pinot Noir.  

The picture of the bottle is from the amazing red blend that was celebrated about 10 days ago. It is a bit more intense than a Pinot Noir, but less dry. Gorgeous color, and great sipping. Really good price, too. 

• Like 4

Good morning.   Sad to see the Maasdam off the map, but I am wondering if someday while cruising in the Eastern Med we might see her again.  Yes, celebrating beach day on Half Moon Key would be wonderful right now.   It will be light eating today after yesterday’s family party.  I certainly enjoy checking in on this thread every day and it's nice that more and more CC members are finding their way here.  I love the variety of information that is being shared.  So, another shout out to Rich for his daily updates and to Roy for reminding us if those beautiful sunrises that seem to be even more beautiful when you are at sea!  Have a great Sunday everyone stay safe - and hopeful!

• Like 8

image.jpeg.bc7710928fa54cb6fe0567834413fafa.jpeg

@kazu and Ann, nothing showed up on the deer cam. I think I'll still bring the feeders in for a few more nights. Our birds were yakking it up at 6 wanting their breakfast..  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a very loud "dawn chorus" outside my window starting about 5. We don't have bird feeders up due to the bears.... it is just a lot of very mouthy birds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I missed yesterday. I will need to go back today and read all five pages. Thanks for the daily Rich and the caring and photos Roy. As far as the wine goes I think if someone offered me a wine that tastes like tobacco and forest floors I would decline sampling. Strawberry wine sounds nice though and it would make a song get stuck in my head. 

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, Rotterdam two years ago was a sea day on the St Lawrence.  It was also mariner lunch day.

AAFC568B-7B8A-47E0-8DCA-ED3364748207.jpeg

5CAF75EE-372E-46F5-93CC-DCB15DE6646E.jpeg

That was then and this is now.  It is quite a change indeed and most of us are somewhat less than happy./

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1