Key question about boarding times

jean87510

IF my enchantment cruise goes forth in November, I have a question about boarding. This cruise leaves out of San Juan. I purchased the Key. When I filled out all of the check in information, I reached the section where you choose your online boarding time.  The earliest was 230pm. I was surprised because I thought the key lunch was from 1130 to 130pm. I am assuming that perhaps the new boarding times to give cabins time to be cleaned/sanitized were moved. In precovid days has anyone seen such late times for check-in for the Key? San Juan cruises usually leave at 830pm and there were a lot of selections every 30 minutes starting at 230 and ending at 6pm.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

IF my enchantment cruise goes forth in November, I have a question about boarding. This cruise leaves out of San Juan. I purchased the Key. When I filled out all of the check in information, I reached the section where you choose your online boarding time.  The earliest was 230pm. I was surprised because I thought the key lunch was from 1130 to 130pm. I am assuming that perhaps the new boarding times to give cabins time to be cleaned/sanitized were moved. In precovid days has anyone seen such late times for check-in for the Key? San Juan cruises usually leave at 830pm and there were a lot of selections every 30 minutes starting at 230 and ending at 6pm.
Wow good questions. With the key you should not have to board that late in the day.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Only reason I got it was it was $12.99.  We always get internet and like Chops. I may try that trampoline contraption they have with special key times. Otherwise I could care less when I get on.

When we purchased the key last year in April we got a 12:30 boarding time.  Ignore your assigned boarding time, your Key boarding time supersedes whatever you are told at checkin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

When we purchased the key last year in April we got a 12:30 boarding time.  Ignore your assigned boarding time, your Key boarding time supersedes whatever you are told at checkin. 

Will they give me another time? 

17 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Others that have been checking in for November cruises have also reported no boarding times before 2:30 now. This is similar to what happens after a Noro cruise and the cleaning they perform.

Ok. Makes sense. The cleaner the ship, the better. 

Just now, jean87510 said:

Ok. Makes sense. The cleaner the ship, the better. 

lol its funny how people complain about the waiting time especially when the ship really needs to be cleaned and be ready before sailing. The crews are doing enormous job to make sure we, the passangers, feel safe and comfortable while on board. People, please be patient

Just now, Roger88 said:

lol its funny how people complain about the waiting time especially when the ship really needs to be cleaned and be ready before sailing. The crews are doing enormous job to make sure we, the passangers, feel safe and comfortable while on board. People, please be patient

Lol, if you even read my initial post, I absolutely did not complain. I asked a question. 🙄

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Will they give me another time? 

No you will simply board at whatever is the earliest time boarding is available.  This is all based on what we assume will be the post-covid embarkation procedures.  In the past anyone could ignore their boarding time and show up early.  You would then board by loyalty status.  In the new world most are expecting boarding appointment times to be rigorously enforced to minimize crowding in the terminal.  That being said, The Key would board with pinnacles right after Suites, whatever time that is. Assumably as close to lunch as possible. I would expect this to continue.  A significant perk with The Key is embarkation lunch in Chops.  They have to get The Key passengers on in time for lunch.  Keeping them to their originally assigned boarding times would defeat that purpose.  Expect that Royal will release boarding procedures closer to your sailing and those procedures will include those who have purchased or earned boarding perks.

Edited by Tree_skier

23 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

No you will simply board at whatever is the earliest time boarding is available.  This is all based on what we assume will be the post-covid embarkation procedures.  In the past anyone could ignore their boarding time and show up early.  You would then board by loyalty status.  In the new world most are expecting boarding appointment times to be rigorously enforced to minimize crowding in the terminal.  That being said, The Key would board with pinnacles right after Suites, whatever time that is. Assumably as close to lunch as possible. I would expect this to continue.  A significant perk with The Key is embarkation lunch in Chops.  They have to get The Key passengers on in time for lunch.  Keeping them to their originally assigned boarding times would defeat that purpose.  Expect that Royal will release boarding procedures closer to your sailing and those procedures will include those who have purchased or earned boarding perks.

That makes sense. You'll have to forgive all my questions as its been a while since I have cruised!

44 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I don’t think that key lunch is going to supersede potential new boarding procedures. 

If check in and boarding is pushed back, I suspect they will make some concession regarding the specialty lunch. Perhaps it will be offered to key passengers on another day.  

In fact, if normal check-in is not until 2:30 and boarding after that, it is conceivable that no lunch of any kind will be offered on boarding day. 

just a thought. 

m

True, but also included in The Key package is priority boarding so whatever time boarding begins it will begin with The Key.  Key purchasers won't be restricted to their allot'd boarding time.  The early boarding times go quickly at 90 day checkin.  If the earliest boarding time available is 2:30 I suspect that they will begin boarding at 2:00 with Suites, Pins and Key.  That'd still give them opportunity for a late Key lunch and fulfill the expectations of those that have purchased the key.

Again, this is all speculation at this point.  But it's fun speculation.  🙂 

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I know you prefaced your post by "IF",  but there zero chance that this cruise will go in September.  At this point you can't do anything but wait for them to cancel.  You time might be better spent trying to figure out what you would do "IF" they cancel.  Do you Lift and Shift until next year or do you take the 125% FCC and book something earlier next year or do you just take the refund.  Or maybe you find a land based vacation for November.  What are you thinking?

Edited by ipeeinthepool

22 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I know you prefaced your post by "IF",  but there zero chance that this cruise will go in September.  At this point you can't do anything but wait for them to cancel.  You time might be better spent trying to figure out what you would do "IF" they cancel.  Do you Lift and Shift until next year or do you take the 125% FCC and book something earlier next year or do you just take the refund.  Or maybe you find a land based vacation for November.  What are you thinking?

The cruise was a rebook from a revamped/changed vision TA September 2020 that I had booked January or February 2019. The Key was purchased November 2019. This was all pre covid. So what was I thinking?? Not that 4 months after I purchased the Key cruising would be cancelled. Dont forget that when cruises do resume, someone may have the same question.

This really doesn't pertain to my original question and I get it that people feel that they must continue to chastise people for booking cruises or thinking that they will cruise, but I already have had my plan B in place. I have for quite some time. If we are cancelled, we will take the 125 fcc. We will either get a rapid covid test pre flight for Puerto Rico if it is still a requirement and will spend a week in Puerto Rico. If it looks like a no go to fly, we will get the credit for our flights back to our Sapphire card and save it for another time.  No problem at all. We travel a lot with land and cruise vacations. We always find something to do.

Edited by jean87510

28 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

True, but also included in The Key package is priority boarding so whatever time boarding begins it will begin with The Key.  Key purchasers won't be restricted to their allot'd boarding time.  The early boarding times go quickly at 90 day checkin.  If the earliest boarding time available is 2:30 I suspect that they will begin boarding at 2:00 with Suites, Pins and Key.  That'd still give them opportunity for a late Key lunch and fulfill the expectations of those that have purchased the key.

Again, this is all speculation at this point.  But it's fun speculation.  🙂 

Agreed-if I can agree on speculation 😄

If key is offered, those who buy the program will be able to check in and board with the earliest group.   Apparently right now the earliest check-in available for any cruise that is allowing check in is 2:30 pm. 

When/if cruising resumes, it will be interesting to see any new procedures/rules etc. 

m

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

The cruise was a rebook from a revamped/changed vision TA September 2020 that I had booked January or February 2019. The Key was purchased November 2019. This was all pre covid. So what was I thinking?? Not that 4 months after I purchased the Key cruising would be cancelled. Dont forget that when cruises do resume, someone may have the same question.

This really doesn't pertain to my original question and I get it that people feel that they must continue to chastise people for booking cruises or thinking that they will cruise, but I already have had my plan B in place. I have for quite some time. If we are cancelled, we will take the 125 fcc. We will either get a rapid covid test pre flight for Puerto Rico if it is still a requirement and will spend a week in Puerto Rico. If it looks like a no go to fly, we will get the credit for our flights back to our Sapphire card and save it for another time.  No problem at all. We travel a lot with land and cruise vacations. We always find something to do.

Glad you have a plan.  Perhaps you mis-understood my last sentence.  I was asking what ARE your plans if the cruise is cancelled, not what WERE you thinking when you booked this cruise.  I hope you enjoy your November trip.

It will be interesting to see how the boarding process is modified from what was experienced in the past.  

In the past the order of Suites/Pins, Key, D+, D and so on on was predicated on those people being checked in and waiting in the terminal.  Waiting in the terminal might not be part of the CV-19 boarding ritual so boarding priority may be temporarily unavailable. 

With a 2:30pm check in now being a common "early" time observed by many I suspect the plan might be to have no terminal wait at all, check in and board, much like Sydney in Australia has done recently. 

In Sydney this year pre-CV19 they turned away folks who showed up early and C&A status meant nothing.  You'll get in when the time on your setsail says so and you'll never stop or pause in the terminal waiting for boarding to commence, it was a nonstop, keep moving process once you were allowed in the terminal.  Only Star Class had any sort of priority and separate entry point to the terminal.

Sydney may be the model going forward until we are closer to normal way down the road.  I'm okay with that, just start cruising again.  

Only time will tell. 

Edited by twangster

My personal opinion is that boarding times will be strictly adhered to when cruising resumes. If you are in that line of vehicles to get to the port, the clock says 1:27PM, your boarding time is 1:30PM, they are not going to let you enter port, make you turn out of the port, and go get to the back of the line and enter the port at the time you are given. Ports are going to need to manage crowd control and make people adhere to it.

I would believe that the Diamond/Diamond +/Suite/Key would all be given the earliest boarding, say 1PM. Then start everyone else at 2:30PM. 

14 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

My personal opinion is that boarding times will be strictly adhered to when cruising resumes. If you are in that line of vehicles to get to the port, the clock says 1:27PM, your boarding time is 1:30PM, they are not going to let you enter port, make you turn out of the port, and go get to the back of the line and enter the port at the time you are given. Ports are going to need to manage crowd control and make people adhere to it.

I would believe that the Diamond/Diamond +/Suite/Key would all be given the earliest boarding, say 1PM. Then start everyone else at 2:30PM. 

2:30 is the earliest  CHECK-IN  these days and boarding will be AFTER THAT .    I am in the highest  C&A category and was given 4:30 PM check in for one cruise.  The check in site allows for changes and I  was able to get 2:30, the earliest.   Then for the next cruise ( I am B2B  ) I  was given 3:30.  Again I was able to change it to 2:30. 

The BOARDING order will likely be the same when  boarding begins.  Something like, B2B,  Full Suite,  Pinnacle, Key, D +, D and so on down. 

At this point we know nothing about any boarding times, just check in times.  I suspect the old boarding opportunity at 10:30 will be a thing of the past....at least  for a while. 

If all boarding is delayed and Key passengers cannot enjoy a  boarding day lunch, I suspect a lunch will be offered on   a different day,. 

my 2 cents

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

As long as I can drop luggage off whenever.  Most hotels require you check out by 11am.  They need to clean and sanitize too.  

So what does someone who isn't local do for 3 or 4 hours carrying all their luggage around with them?

I would think that those new boarding times don't really mean anything.  Most everyone is picking 2:30 so how is that going to work?  Hundreds or even a thousand people all checking in at that time.  It must be a work in progress at this point

1 minute ago, twangster said:

As long as I can drop luggage off whenever.  Most hotels require you check out by 11am.  They need to clean and sanitize too.  

So what does someone who isn't local do for 3 or 4 hours carrying all their luggage around with them?

I guess we'll have to wait in the  hotel lobby till it is time to go over to the port.   Many  may not even have a car. 

I'll be anxious to see the first  few cruises ( whenever that will be) to get a feeling for the potential new process.  I'll gladly wait an extra few hours to board if it means a smooth boarding process and a clean ship. 

M

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I would think that those new boarding times don't really mean anything.  Most everyone is picking 2:30 so how is that going to work?  Hundreds or even a thousand people all checking in at that time.  It must be a work in progress at this point

I assumed the times are capacity controlled, only so many for each slot.  

13 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I guess we'll have to wait in the  hotel lobby till it is time to go over to the port.   Many  may not even have a car. 

I'll be anxious to see the first  few cruises ( whenever that will be) to get a feeling for the potential new process.  I'll gladly wait an extra few hours to board if it means a smooth boarding process and a clean ship. 

M

I'm probably going to sit out the first cruises of the restart so I'll have time to see how it goes. 

Best case scenario is a timely transfer from home or hotel to the ship to minimize opportunity for exposure.  Forcing people to wait in public places like hotel lobbies, airport baggage areas or shopping malls increases the opportunity for exposure and infection.  

• Like 1