When Will We Feel Safe to Cruise Again

mcrcruiser

4 hours ago, Shaver John said:

I guess my question is If it is so easy for the Normal, everyday person to get all the medical care that is needed to treat Covid 19, then why are 1000 of us dying a day. Seems strange, must be so other reason I guess. Oh, we will not be traveling on a cruise ship until 2022 to answer the question of when do we plan to cruise.

imo  those deaths could be caused by severe underlying  medical conditions ,ala heart disease ,kidney disease  ,diabetes ,  Asthma   ie .you can then see how it is possible .Another possibility is that people wait too long to get treated & the covid virus has spread too far  .If I knew I had this virus after testing I would want those new  antibody  drugs in my system asap

• Like 1

Just now, mcrcruiser said:

imo  those deaths could be caused by severe underlying  medical conditions ,ala heart disease ,kidney disease  ,diabetes ,  Asthma   ie .you can then see how it is possible .Another possibility is that people wait too long to get treated & the covid virus has spread too far  .If I knew I had this virus after testing I would want those new  antibody  drugs in my system asap

Those new antibody drugs are not available to normal folks like use. It is still in trials and not even available for emergency rules. The president went around all the rules to get it

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Those new antibody drugs are not available to normal folks like use. It is still in trials and not even available for emergency rules. The president went around all the rules to get it

That is not what we understand .We understand that it was passed into law that experimental drugs /medicines are available upon request as a last hope  cure 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

That is not what we understand .We understand that it was passed into law that experimental drugs /medicines are available upon request as a last hope  cure 

That is for drugs that the FDA has given an emergency use authorization for.  The antibody drug given Trump does not have the EUA

I guess then if that is the case that anyone can get these drugs when why are 1000+or- folks dying every day in hospitals all over the US if they work so well and are so available. I understand about pre conditions, but so did the person who received these drugs have pre conditions, age, weight, family history, etc. Not sure why we are allowing so many folks to die if it is just this easy.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, mcrcruiser said:

True .They need to get this virus under control & how that is done is with a vaccine that does not have outrageous side effects  for any one getting the vaccination.

While that is a laudable goal, I think that with any vaccine there are going to be some small percentage of people who do not tolerate it very well. I'm sure the CDC/FDA have a % criteria (hopefully a number with some 0 to the right of the decimal) of adverse reactions that would still allow one to gain approval. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The ultimate cure is the acceptance & adminstration of the  covid 19 vaccines  to not only here in the USA but through out the entire world 

The previous post was clearly a reference to the President.  Are we reading the same thread?

BTW, most Americans are NOT going to take the initial vaccine, and a substantial number will never take it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/09/04/covid-19-two-thirds-us-wont-take-vaccine-right-away-poll-shows/5696982002/

"Forty-one percent of those surveyed would not get the coronavirus vaccine if the federal government required it versus 50% of those who said they would."  <<--That part concerns me;

Edited by WAMarathoner

13 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

(1) Any patient with covid 19 is fully funded by the US government  is our understanding  .There are zero out of pocket costs . (2) These  anti body cocktails are now available  to a covid 19 patient  even though the FDA has not formally  approved of them .

Sorry. (1) This is true in California but not every state. (2) on a case by case basis as a treatment of last resort if your insurance will authorize the $10,000 per dose bill

One of the side effects of a 2 dose vaccine currently in phase 3 is horrific fevers and shakes so bad that some have broken teeth. Nope ---- not doing it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/10/01/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-participants-exhaustion-fever-headaches.html

Edited by Ombud

6 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

The previous post was clearly a reference to the President.  Are we reading the same thread?

BTW, most Americans are NOT going to take the initial vaccine, and a substantial number will never take it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/09/04/covid-19-two-thirds-us-wont-take-vaccine-right-away-poll-shows/5696982002/

"Forty-one percent of those surveyed would not get the coronavirus vaccine if the federal government required it versus 50% of those who said they would."  <<--That part concerns me;

We wonder that if a person's own doctor recommended the vaccination  would people still turn it down ,even if their doctor told them it was safe for them to get vaccinated . Imo leave it up to the science  not politicians nor newspaper articles ;because both sources can be slanted , for their own purposes 

This covid 19 is not going away with people just wearing masks & social distancing ,the reason is as long as  there are people who  are infected they can spread the  disease quickly & infect many thousands to millions  .Imo ,most people will ultimately realize to have a pre covid 19  normal type life they will need to be vaccinated

As long as our doctor who is quite conservative would tell us it is safe for us to receive the vaccine ,we would do it  . 

There is so many if ands & buts out there right now ;but ,we feel that in time people will realize  that a normal life is  to get vaccinated   . 

In reality cruising is just a  fond hope at this moment in time . imo ,there is no way the majority of seniors will board cruise ships until it is as safe as pre covid 19  .Just too dangerous  . Thus ,in conclusion  ,cruise lines currently have gotten a big part  of their revenues from us older senior set ;because ,we have both the extra time & resources, at our disposal 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

Sorry. (1) This is true in California but not every state. (2) on a case by case basis as a treatment of last resort if your insurance will authorize the $10,000 per dose bill

One of the side effects of a 2 dose vaccine currently in phase 3 is horrific fevers and shakes so bad that some have broken teeth. Nope ---- not doing it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/10/01/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-participants-exhaustion-fever-headaches.html

what is ones life worth  would be the deciding factor .I know for both myself & my wife ,that if we were at that juncture in life or death decision ,We would gladly pay  that $10000  per dose  . you can't take it with you 

21 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Stop that, don't you know you're only allowed to post negative stats? No positive spin allowed, LOL.

Oh man, my bad.  Do you mean I should buy into the media hype and sensationalizing?

More food for thought.  The death rate is already slowing in the US as better therapeutics and treatments become available.  Covid-19 will be with us forever, just as remnants of the Russian Flu and the Spanish Flu are.  They have just mutated into less virulent strains and are now classified in the influenza spectrum. The vaccine will only be around 50-60% effective when available and so far only about 50% of the population will bother to get it.  The vaccine, Covid-19 mutation, and some herd immunity will eventually knock the hype and hysteria off the front page.

The vaccines under development are receiving full testing and scrutiny by the scientific community - it's just that the usual government bureaucracy has been streamlined. I'll take it as soon as it's available, just like I do the seasonal flu shot every year.

I do hope that the extra sanitization of every surface will continue from a general health standpoint but it is mostly for show since there is little evidence that the virus jumps off of surfaces to become airborne.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

Did  you bother to read the article, especially the highlights?

Only five participants reported what they called 'discomforts' and "all five participants — three in Moderna’s study and two in Pfizer’s late-stage trials — said they think the discomfort is worth it to protect themselves against the coronavirus. "

Also this: "While the symptoms were uncomfortable, and at times intense, they often went away after a day, sometimes less."

One wonders how these 'discomforts' compare to the 'discomforts' of the virus?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Oh man, my bad.  Do you mean I should buy into the media hype and sensationalizing?

More food for thought.  The death rate is already slowing in the US as better therapeutics and treatments become available.  Covid-19 will be with us forever, just as remnants of the Russian Flu and the Spanish Flu are.  They have just mutated into less virulent strains and are now classified in the influenza spectrum. The vaccine will only be around 50-60% effective when available and so far only about 50% of the population will bother to get it.  The vaccine, Covid-19 mutation, and some herd immunity will eventually knock the hype and hysteria off the front page.

The vaccines under development are receiving full testing and scrutiny by the scientific community - it's just that the usual government bureaucracy has been streamlined. I'll take it as soon as it's available, just like I do the seasonal flu shot every year.

I do hope that the extra sanitization of every surface will continue from a general health standpoint but it is mostly for show since there is little evidence that the virus jumps off of surfaces to become airborne.

If our doctor approves of the vaccine we will take the shot as well . Where will the cruise prices soar to with all the added sanitation   ,social distancing ,elevator distancing ie  that the cruise lines will be mandated to incorporate by the authorities before they can sail a ship  ? We see prices in general are higher because of all the add on amenities .There is no such thing as free drinks ,free wifi & free ppd gratuities   Those are all calculated into the cruise prices 

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Only five participants reported what they called 'discomforts' and "all five participants — three in Moderna’s study and two in Pfizer’s late-stage trials — said they think the discomfort is worth it to protect themselves against the coronavirus. "

Also this: "While the symptoms were uncomfortable, and at times intense, they often went away after a day, sometimes less."

The key here is what a persons doctor tells them before taking any vaccination  .Obviously  to mute this virus into a also ran ,the world will need wide spread vaccinations  .The only problem that we could possibly see is if after the vaccine the dam virus was to mutate itself .God forbid 

12 hours ago, Shaver John said:

I guess then if that is the case that anyone can get these drugs when why are 1000+or- folks dying every day in hospitals all over the US if they work so well and are so available. I understand about pre conditions, but so did the person who received these drugs have pre conditions, age, weight, family history, etc. Not sure why we are allowing so many folks to die if it is just this easy.

Exactly......and people are still ending up with big medical bills for being treated for Covid-19 not to mention the serious lingering effects of having had Covid-19.....there appears to be no miracle cure as of yet and the logistics of just trying to vaccinate the US population are staggering and extremely timely....not to mention over 40% of US population says they may not get Covid-19 vaccination....cruising is a long ways off through no fault of it's own it would appear.....

• Like 1

well if " over 40% of US population says they may not get Covid-19 vaccination....    Then  " the logistics of just trying to vaccinate the US population are staggering and extremely timely...."  I would think that the logistics with time would be significantly  less 

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yes I read it and 5 reported discomforts. I certainly hope others take it, that'll give me a layer of herd immunity.  I won't do it. I didn't read ANYWHERE where it was required to cruise

I'm not an anti- vaxer. I've had most of the vaccines (except shingles which my lab test stated wasn't warranted & flu .... I've never had a flu, I've been around plenty when others had it [22 yrs working in a hospital] but I've never had it)

Edited by Ombud

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

what is ones life worth  would be the deciding factor .I know for both myself & my wife ,that if we were at that juncture in life or death decision ,We would gladly pay  that $10000  per dose  . you can't take it with you 

if you and i can even get it once it completes it's clinical trials. I'm just a lowly ordinary person

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Yes I read it and 5 reported discomforts. I certainly hope others take it, that'll give me a layer of herd immunity.  I won't do it. I didn't read ANYWHERE where it was required to cruise

I'm not an anti- vaxer. I've had most of the vaccines (except shingles which my lab test stated wasn't warranted & flu .... I've never had a flu, I've been around plenty when others had it [22 yrs working in a hospital] but I've never had it)

There are many places where a vaccination is required to fly into and sail. When I cruised on the Amazon from Brazil we could not even get on a plane without showing proof of treatment for malaria 

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

There are many places where a vaccination is required to fly into and sail. When I cruised on the Amazon from Brazil we could not even get on a plane without showing proof of treatment for malaria 

Oops. Missed that vaccine when I was there & Sohnjay missed it when he was the guest symphony performer in the summer of 2019. Is it more recent then that? Maybe because we were not in the Amazon, just in Brazil / Uruguay / Argentina?

Edited by Ombud

The ways that the government can get people to get vaccinated are many .  All they do is pass laws such as can not  fly unless vaccinated ,Cannot cruise unless vaccinated . It is a simple process & does not take away peoples rights; because it is termed a highly contagious disease ,ala small pox  & they write the laws in such a way that it will  agree with the constitution 

Please do not argue with me I am only the messenger 😇

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The ways that the government can get people to get vaccinated are many .  All they do is pass laws such as can not  fly unless vaccinated ,Cannot cruise unless vaccinated . It is a simple process & does not take away peoples rights; because it is termed a highly contagious disease ,ala small pox  & they write the laws in such a way that it will  agree with the constitution 

Please do not argue with me I am only the messenger 😇

I am not sure the anti-vaxers are going to agree with you.

52 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I am not sure the anti-vaxers are going to agree with you.

If they choose to live outside the law if  a legal requirement to be vaccinated is required for travel then that is their problem. They can stay at home.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

Oops. Missed that vaccine when I was there & Sohnjay missed it when he was the guest symphony performer in the summer of 2019. Is it more recent then that? Maybe because we were not in the Amazon, just in Brazil / Uruguay / Argentina?

We needed to show proof of a yellow fever vaccine on our 2010 Amazon cruise because it was required by Brazil since our ship was stopping at Devil's Island, Guiana (an area with yellow fever) before entering Brazil.  Before the ship even entered the Amazon, Brazilian officials came on board to check passports and vaccination records.

The current CDC recommendations for the yellow fever vaccine if visiting South America are on a map at https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/maps/south_america.html

The CDC also warns that "It is important to remember that CDC’s vaccine recommendations are a different thing than country entry requirements. Proof of yellow fever vaccine may be required for entry into certain countries. Vaccination requirements for specific countries are available on the CDC Travelers’ Health page."  https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/vaccine/vaccine-recommendations.html

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1