Is Platinum level worth booking 9 nights?

marybeealex

Hello all,

I'm not a huge cruiser, but we've been on three with RCL and were scheduled for a 30th anniversary cruise on Odyssey in April 2021, which was cancelled and refunded. I'm back to square one. We are 9 nights shy of the "Platinum" Crown and Anchor level.  As I think about rebooking for 2021 or even 2022, I would like some honest opinions on whether there are real benefits to obtaining platinum level with a 9 night cruise (or suite on a 5 night). I probably wouldn't cruise more than once every other year as I come closer to retirement - other places to see and go, and it's financial, as well. Royal is the only line we've ever been on but I'm curious about others.  We can't physically do some of the onboard activities on RCL (waterslides, rock climbing), but also enjoy a lively atmosphere. Thoughts?  

I thought about the same thing to get to Elite level on a probably cancelled cruise for next March.  I could change our cabin to a suite and the extra points would push me over.  However we also have cruised Princess, Celebrity, and Norwegian and our next cruise is Viking.  I suspect after that Royal may be more of a rarity for us.

Edited by zalusky

2 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I thought about the same thing to get to Elite level.  I could change our cabin to a suite and the extra points would push me over.  However we also have cruised Princess, Celebrity, and Norwegian and our next cruise is Viking.  I suspect after that Royal may be more of a rarity for us.

Diamond with RCI. And RCI beats at least Princess and Norwegian in this department for similar level (on Princess Elite is much more difficult to achieve too).

+/- on par with Celebrity Elite.

Edited by Tatka

Some tier comparisons in link below: 

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cas/secureViewAllBenefits.do 

If you strive to continue to attain status with RCI, and will cruise annually, the Diamond level is where you start to really see the benefits (Diamond Lounge, Happy Hour, Balcony/suite discounts, etc). If you wish to discover other lines, ships and itineraries and are not targeting or partial to status, then the ocean (Post C-19) is your buffet of options. Complete personal preference. While we are partial to RCI, we certainly have experienced other cruise lines- like Princess and Celebrity. Each had their own qualities and distinctions about them. 

• Like 1

Your level should be on the bottom of your list when choosing your cruise.   Decide by what's more important to you like the itinerary or the ship etc.

The Platinum status really isn't much anyway.  Don't spend extra money just to get a few more points.

Edited by fred30
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

With a cruise every other year chasing status on any particular line is not likely worth it.  Go for ship and itinerary.  If Royal happens to have the best or most appealing then so be it.   Otherwise spend your vacation dollars on what most interests you.  

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

With a cruise every other year chasing status on any particular line is not likely worth it.  Go for ship and itinerary.  If Royal happens to have the best or most appealing then so be it.   Otherwise spend your vacation dollars on what most interests you.  

@twangster hit the nail on the head here.  If you don’t foresee cruising a great deal, look for itineraries that interest you.  Then, ship and ship amenities.  

• Like 1

Platinum and Emerald are just levels with names basically.  As others have stated...it's not until you get to Diamond level that you will see any perks worth anything.  

Go for itinerary...ship...embarkation port...and price.  Don't even think about the level of C&A. 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, marybeealex said:

Hello all,

I'm not a huge cruiser, but we've been on three with RCL and were scheduled for a 30th anniversary cruise on Odyssey in April 2021, which was cancelled and refunded. I'm back to square one. We are 9 nights shy of the "Platinum" Crown and Anchor level.  As I think about rebooking for 2021 or even 2022, I would like some honest opinions on whether there are real benefits to obtaining platinum level with a 9 night cruise (or suite on a 5 night). I probably wouldn't cruise more than once every other year as I come closer to retirement - other places to see and go, and it's financial, as well. Royal is the only line we've ever been on but I'm curious about others.  We can't physically do some of the onboard activities on RCL (waterslides, rock climbing), but also enjoy a lively atmosphere. Thoughts?  

At platinum I think you get free wine? Or I did but it's been a while. Back then you had a bar at night you went to and could get red or white wine or champagne. It's usually been near diamond lounge which is free mixed drinks.

There was a dining room at platinum with better service and a couple of free coffees. I think one was mocha latte that I used to get.

So to me these were good as I like wine and the coffee at the dining room for platinum and up.

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

At platinum I think you get free wine? Or I did but it's been a while. Back then you had a bar at night you went to and could get red or white wine or champagne. It's usually been near diamond lounge which is free mixed drinks.

I don't think so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Don’t think free wine comes with Platinum.  Not now anyway

Ok it's been a while. I'm diamond now and havent kept up with changes. I've got enough booked to be diamond plus but nothing much for diamond plus. 

How about the breakfast? Is it still platinum and up in the side dining room?

Diamond comes with some extras, lounge, 24hours internet, balcony discount.  Diamond Plus has a few more like 48 hour internet, free bag laundry, free gift choice.  Check the Crown and Anchor site for lists of level perks.  Of course, we just turned D+ so who knows what it will be when we cruise again☹️

50 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

There was a dining room at platinum with better service and a couple of free coffees. I think one was mocha latte that I used to get.

So to me these were good as I like wine and the coffee at the dining room for platinum and up.

Are you talking about the top tier event?  I think once you hit Platinum you are invited, which usually includes a drink they are handing out (I think..have only been a couple times myself)

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Ok it's been a while. I'm diamond now and havent kept up with changes. I've got enough booked to be diamond plus but nothing much for diamond plus. 

How about the breakfast? Is it still platinum and up in the side dining room?

The whine starts at Diamond but it's light whine.  As you progress the whine gets stronger.    

They really need another level between D+ and P because there is clear distinction in the quality of whine in between.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 6
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Of course, we just turned D+ so who knows what it will be when we cruise again☹️

Congratulations!  Next goal... 350.

The meal with an officer is a favorite perk, even it's a somewhat low level officer.  We had a grand time with the guy in charge of the laundry.

3 hours ago, fred30 said:

Your level should be on the bottom of your list when choosing your cruise.   Decide by what's more important to you like the itinerary or the ship etc.

The Platinum status really isn't much anyway.  Don't spend extra money just to get a few more points.

this. It shouldnt be part of your decision. However, the closer you can get to diamond the better. that is when the percs matter. 

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

The whine starts at Diamond but it's light whine.  As you progress the whine gets stronger.    

They really need another level between D+ and P because there is clear distinction in the quality of whine in between.

You do also get cheese with your whine 😀

OP the best additional benefit at Platinum is a balcony discount when booking 

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:

$ 50 * for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200* for sailings of 10+ nights

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

I thought light whining started at D+ and didn't really progress and become stronger until Pinnacle status was reached. 

It's more of a bell curve.  You have DL overcrowding whine on the left, loss of CL access whine in the middle, then some very entertaining P whine on the right but there are only a handful of P that enjoy whine like that so the bell curve remains mostly intact, depending on ship & sail date.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, twangster said:

It's more of a bell curve.  You have DL overcrowding whine on the left, loss of CL access whine in the middle, then some very entertaining P whine on the right but there are only a handful of P that enjoy whine like that so the bell curve remains mostly intact, depending on ship & sail date.  

Let's be honest, P have nothing to whine about.  They have access to the best lounges, best exclusive dining venues, etc., etc..

• Like 1