Who is booked for MSC Caribbean November/December 2020 Cruises?

mamaneedsavacay

19 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I think he meant to  say that they will be able to sail after Christmas. If there is no sailing right now, I doubt there will be any until Christmas. My best guess would be the very New Year. A cruise without stops, just a sea view experience with some animation on board 

Donald said exactly what he meant.

The meeting with Pence starts in 15 minutes. Here's hoping to an announcement today!!

Edited by BermudaBound2014

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@sidari I'm just guessing, but I don't think anything is going to be watered down. If any changes are made, I think they might be more strict. That's my guess anyway 🙂

My main concern will be whether they will enforce the rules 100%.  Where masks are required, they are required, etc.  No exceptions.  We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

well, in light of the news today, I think it's time to revive this thread. I recognize there are so many conditions that must be met and this is in phases and blah blah blah. No disrespect intended for those trying to shed a little realism on this optimistic news.

But here we are as the first people paid in full for sail dates that could possibly happen. No doubt itineraries could be changed and etc. Please update as you hear from your travel agents or MSC.

My TA has no new information currently, but she's promised to keep in touch.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

well, in light of the news today, I think it's time to revive this thread. I recognize there are so many conditions that must be met and this is in phases and blah blah blah. No disrespect intended for those trying to shed a little realism on this optimistic news.

But here we are as the first people paid in full for sail dates that could possibly happen. No doubt itineraries could be changed and etc. Please update as you hear from your travel agents or MSC.

My TA has no new information currently, but she's promised to keep in touch.

It reminds me of the 737 Max situation.  The FAA is OK with the Boeing updates, they say the aircraft is safe, but they have yet to allow any to fly.  With the cruise ship guidelines there is no way to tell when (and if) cruises will resume from the USA.  The CDC has simply shifted the burden to the cruise lines to prove they can safely conduct operations.  What happens the first time there is a COVID case on a ship?  I have no clue.   But that is almost like a Sword of Damocles hanging over the heads of the cruise line.   The European cruises have shown us that it is nearly impossible to allow cruising without getting some cases of COVID.  When that happens....then what?

Hank

59 minutes ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

No disrespect intended for those trying to shed a little realism on this optimistic news.

I just want to say thank you. So often those of us who “shed a little realism” are labeled in a very negative way. 

As a “realist”’let me just say that I am 💯 Rooting for those if you w/December departures!! 

My unofficial legal opinion is that cruising cannot happen in 2020.  The basis of this opinion is the newly released CDC document and time periods required to resume passenger sailing.  I hoped my December 12th sailing would happen, but the 60 day phase 1 period is too long.

11 hours ago, Geobugs said:

My unofficial legal opinion is that cruising cannot happen in 2020.  The basis of this opinion is the newly released CDC document and time periods required to resume passenger sailing.  I hoped my December 12th sailing would happen, but the 60 day phase 1 period is too long.

I agree!  Anytime you have government involved in issuing rules on businesses they have no clue on how to run, you will have raised more questions than answers, so the start of cruises here will be delayed further. Hopefully, after the election in 3 days the economy will be able to resume it's vigor that we enjoyed before the China Virus hit! I probably won't book a cruise until I see more movement to normalcy! Planning a trip to visit friends for Thanksgiving out of state by air. 

Edited by IsanTom
Correct spelling

I'm coming to terms with the thought that my 12/27 cruise won't happen. Particularly since I'm sailing with kids, so we wouldn't qualify as "experimental." But I'd still like to hear from those posters who have/had Nov/Dec 2020 cruises in regards to how MSC has been (or starts to) handle your bookings. I'd love to lift my cruise to Thanksgiving 2021 on the Seashore because they have the same cabin categories as the Seaside and I'm really attached to trying the 2BR Grand Suite that I have currently booked. 

Would love to hear from those who were booked for November 2020 what has happened since the 9/30 cruise ban was extended and from December 2020 passengers as we start to hear about changes/cancelations. I haven't gotten any notice from MSC or TA as of yet. The MSC website still says that my cruise departs in 55 days with no changes to the itinerary. 

I feel like we can't expect many updates from MSC this week, as there are a lot of logistics to plan, but next week gets us close to the 20 day window for the early Dec cruises. Surely they won't let you start printing boarding passes!?

2 minutes ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

I feel like we can't expect many updates from MSC this week, as there are a lot of logistics to plan, but next week gets us close to the 20 day window for the early Dec cruises. Surely they won't let you start printing boarding passes!?

If History repeats itself, MSC will cancel within the next couple of days. Once one of the big three cancel, the dominoes quickly. 

If History repeats itself, MSC will cancel within the next couple of days. Once one of the big three cancel, the dominoes quickly. 

Ok my Bermudian friend, I’ve booked and rebooked three times now, twice on MSC and now my NCL Dec is gone (knew that was coming sadly, that pricing from FCC on Escape in the Haven was primo).  With the goal of sailing as soon as we possibly can, if you were to book SS or Mera from Jan1-Feb 28th what would you book? I’ve got Mera in April and another NCL in June in northern Europe.  I’m going to make one more run at this and roll the dice once more for Jan-Feb. What would be your wager?

• Like 1

Just now, BoundForSea said:

Ok my Bermudian friend, I’ve booked and rebooked three times now, twice on MSC and now my NCL Dec is gone (knew that was coming sadly, that pricing from FCC on Escape in the Haven was primo).  With the goal of sailing as soon as we possibly can, if you were to book SS or Mera from Jan1-Feb 28th what would you book? I’ve got Mera in April and another NCL in June in northern Europe.  I’m going to make one more run at this and roll the dice once more for Jan-Feb. What would be your wager?

I'm just guessing because you asked :). . In that timeframe, I'd recommend you book the last cruise in February and even then keep your fingers crossed. 

I wish I was more optimistic, but after reading (and re-reading) the CDC Framework for Conditional Sailing, I have less faith that cruises will resume in Q1 than I did when it was just the no-sail order. The document for conditional sailing is brutal in terms of what happens if covid is detected onboard (among other things). It was MUCH easier for MSC to restart in Europe. The CDC requirements give me great pause, but we really all need access to the unpublished  "Technical Sheet" to make a more educated guess.

I'd also recommend booking a 3 or 4 night cruise if you are re-booking for Quarter 1. The CDC says no more than 7 days, but the requirements listed under "Minimum Standards for Management of passengers and crew...." (pay attention to #5) give lots of reasons that cruise ships will want to keep sailings very short and sweet (IE, no time to detect covid onboard). Also note, when TUI first started (or maybe that was AIDA), you could not book any back to back cruises to extend the time onboard.

Of course, this goes without saying, I don't recommend giving the cruise lines cash money. If you are using FCC's to secure the booking I can understand. I do not believe all cruise lines are going to survive. I see mergers and acquisitions in our future which leave some FCC's useless. Interesting enough, MSC might be postured to gain, but since they aren't traded publicly I'm not convinced of their numbers either (and obviously, even companies who are traded publicly fib the books from time to time). 

I'm just guessing because you asked :). . In that timeframe, I'd recommend you book the last cruise in February and even then keep your fingers crossed. 

I wish I was more optimistic, but after reading (and re-reading) the CDC Framework for Conditional Sailing, I have less faith that cruises will resume in Q1 than I did when it was just the no-sail order. The document for conditional sailing is brutal in terms of what happens if covid is detected onboard (among other things). It was MUCH easier for MSC to restart in Europe. The CDC requirements give me great pause, but we really all need access to the unpublished  "Technical Sheet" to make a more educated guess.

I'd also recommend booking a 3 or 4 night cruise if you are re-booking for Quarter 1. The CDC says no more than 7 days, but the requirements listed under "Minimum Standards for Management of passengers and crew...." (pay attention to #5) give lots of reasons that cruise ships will want to keep sailings very short and sweet (IE, no time to detect covid onboard). Also note, when TUI first started (or maybe that was AIDA), you could not book any back to back cruises to extend the time onboard.

Of course, this goes without saying, I don't recommend giving the cruise lines cash money. If you are using FCC's to secure the booking I can understand. I do not believe all cruise lines are going to survive. I see mergers and acquisitions in our future which leave some FCC's useless. Interesting enough, MSC might be postured to gain, but since they aren't traded publicly I'm not convinced of their numbers either (and obviously, even companies who are traded publicly fib the books from time to time). 

All great info and like minded as to what I was thinking. So I grabbed a 4 day and a 3 day SS B2B mid Feb. I didnt want to book a 7 day for reasons you explained (I think those are all going to get split up into 3/4s in Bahamas, and that week will work for us. If they dont allow the b2b then we will scrub the 3 day, however they will need to make up their minds by Jan on that one. This is my final answer. It lets us take advantage of the Health Care Discount max savings as well. Ill deposit it until later this month, then make the decision whether we out cash on it or not. Im more comfortable putting cash on MSC than NCL. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

well that was quick- lol 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/#google_vignette

so far virgin wins in the early cancellation dept. they have been first to cancel the last three extensions. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

48 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

well that was quick- lol 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/#google_vignette

Very disappointed to see that we have been canceled for the New Years cruise on Seaside (it is still showing on the website). It appears the people in power at the CDC are determined to destroy the cruise industry. No other travel industry has been given the scrutiny and over-regulation that the cruise lines have been subjected to. The airlines, bus, train, taxi, etc. where employees and passengers are much more closely packed together have not had to jump through so many hoops to get back into business. It's like they have ignored all the work the cruise lines have already put into preparing to restart. This is our 7th cruise, so far, to be canceled (some were rebookings in hopes by now the worst of this would be over) so my frustration level is high. I think I'm going to ask for a refund of the money we paid for the 2 cabins we booked on this cruise since we don't know when we can get the same family group together again (yes, I know it will take a long time to get the money back). We've been disappointed so many times and can't rely that they will be begin cruising again anytime soon. We aren't booked again until the end of May 2021 on Carnival so hope they survive long enough for us to go on that one. IF the cruises are running in the Spring we will look into what's available then. 

• Like 2

There's a positive here for MSC friends... NCL for example, moved all of the Breakaway Class (high capacity) vessels to Asia, Europe, etc.  MSC kept SS and Mera literally off shore of Miami and O'Cay this entire time, SS is berthed in Miami as I write this.  The CDC Order, requires vessels that have been out of the adjacent waters of the US mainland to apply 28 days PRIOR to approving a plan and allowing the simulated runs to begin.  So plainly, this gives us here in MSC world a 28 day head start over those other carriers.  So if MSC were on their game, they would be putting the crews on the ships, getting their 14 day quarantines done (should have been doing this three weeks ago in reality, and submitting the plan for SS and Mera in the next two weeks, get the plans approved and pieces in place by T-Giving and launch the simulated voyages by December 1st, get them over with and begin revenue operations beginning of January, 2021 on SS and Mera out of PC and POM on 3/4 ni runs to O'Cay and Nassau.  

So this is if everything goes perfectly.  I personally believe, this is all meant to be an "I told you so" set up to the cruise lines, set them up for failure given the expectations set, and then say, We told you it wouldn't work, now you are shut down until April.  That's personally, where I think this is going.  SOMEONE is going to test positive on these employee and volunteer tests, several will, it's statistically inevitable, despite testing.  I HOPE I'M WRONG!!!! I REALLY DO!! I have lots of mooola in MSC and NCLs hands right now as I write this.  

Still, watch tomorrow night's election closely.  It's going to have an impact on all this one way or another.  

Me, man I just want my darn VENCHI Chocolate Martini #2!!!!!! It's killing me!!! 😉

1 hour ago, 40yearcruiser said:

It appears the people in power at the CDC are determined to destroy the cruise industry. No other travel industry has been given the scrutiny and over-regulation that the cruise lines have been subjected to. The airlines, bus, train, taxi, etc. where employees and passengers are much more closely packed together have not had to jump through so many hoops to get back into business. It's like they have ignored all the work the cruise lines have already put into preparing to restart.

Agree completely, we are in similar situation, bookings and cancellations and rebookings, working between MSC and Carnival. We continue to remain hopeful and have several cruises booked in 2021, like to anticipate, but like you feel frustration, our last booking in 2020 was this month (actually were boarding today) and realized that cancellation a few weeks ago, very disappointing now for those of you who were booked in December, who would have thought! So we wait and hope.

3 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Agree completely, we are in similar situation, bookings and cancellations and rebookings, working between MSC and Carnival. We continue to remain hopeful and have several cruises booked in 2021, like to anticipate, but like you feel frustration, our last booking in 2020 was this month (actually were boarding today) and realized that cancellation a few weeks ago, very disappointing now for those of you who were booked in December, who would have thought! So we wait and hope.

I do believe there is something there with the CDC and the cruise lines.  There is some sort of back history there we aren't aware of.  Some say the reason is that the cruise industry is the only entity that CDC can control completely and that's why it appears this way, only because THEY CAN.  Regardless, it's not right.  I wish there was a way to cast my vote tomorrow for my opinion on how CDC has handled the Cruise Industry, man I would be first in line with my ballot.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

SOMEONE is going to test positive on these employee and volunteer tests, several will, it's statistically inevitable, despite testing.  

Thank you for your summary, very interesting.

Yes someone will eventually test positive - look at a town of 4,000 or 5,000 people, there are going to be positive tests - I do not understand why when someone tests positive life cannot go on on a cruise ship.