ports open

StormySeas

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

And yet, on a per capita basis, the death rate in the U.S. is lower than eight of those countries. BTW, can anyone explain how a country with 10X the population of the U.S., and where the virus originated, can have a per capita death rate ranked #142 out of the150 countries that are reporting data.

I seriously doubt anyone can believe what comes from them. But I would add that most Asian countries have worn masks for decades. And I'm sure you saw the videos of people being ripped from the homes and tossed into quarantine. Entire provinces locked down including locking apartment buildings. Measures no other country would in act. Obviously you have 2 widely different approaches to controlling a pandemic. Sweden has an excellent healthcare system and it's citizens largely complied with mask wearing and social distancing and all the health related guidelines published by it's government. We cannot compare the US to Sweden.

3 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

I seriously doubt anyone can believe what comes from them. But I would add that most Asian countries have worn masks for decades. And I'm sure you saw the videos of people being ripped from the homes and tossed into quarantine. Entire provinces locked down including locking apartment buildings. Measures no other country would in act. Obviously you have 2 widely different approaches to controlling a pandemic. Sweden has an excellent healthcare system and it's citizens largely complied with mask wearing and social distancing and all the health related guidelines published by it's government. We cannot compare the US to Sweden.

I don't ever compare anything but hard verified data. Emotion is the mortal enemy of logic.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Zero is best but Florida except for Miami-Dade/Broward, has schools in session, High School Football, most restaurants open at 50%. Disney and Universal open, at reduced capacity. I’m very happy to see the reduction in cases. 

Miami-Dade has a soft school opening starting October 14.  Restaurants are now open indoors at 50 per cent capacity.  Some sports venues have opened.  Zoo Miami is open. Bowling alleys, arcades, entertainment venues, movie theaters are open.  The only places that remain closed are bars, and night clubs.  The mayor is getting a lot of pressure and protests from owners and he is now considered allowing some to open on a case by case basis. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Miami-Dade has a soft school opening starting October 14.  Restaurants are now open indoors at 50 per cent capacity.  Some sports venues have opened.  Zoo Miami is open. Bowling alleys, arcades, entertainment venues, movie theaters are open.  The only places that remain closed are bars, and night clubs.  The mayor is getting a lot of pressure and protests from owners and he is now considered allowing some to open on a case by case basis. 

Bars have been open for a while now up here in our area. Some had to serve food to open. People just need to be careful and not stupid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Bars have been open for a while now up here in our area. Some had to serve food to open. People just need to be careful and not stupid. 

Yes rightly so.  The problem here was a lot of young kids and party goers along with tourists from other areas going to South Beach bars and night clubs getting out-of-control until the wee hours, that spoiled it for the rest of the County. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

And yet, on a per capita basis, the death rate in the U.S. is lower than eight of those countries. BTW, can anyone explain how a country with 10X the population of the U.S., and where the virus originated, can have a per capita death rate ranked #142 out of the150 countries that are reporting data.

Here are the facts...

According to well respected Johns Hopkins, out of 169 countries, the United States is the 11th worst in per capita death rate.

We say we are number 1 in technology, research, etc., and yet we have the 11th worst death rate (out of 169) in the world!  Why?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I read that 30% to 40% of all US covid deaths were residents of nursing homes.  I think you have the answer. Maybe the US is equipped to keep people living long lives, but covid was too much for many of those people.

65% in our County. CV deaths in LTC facilities. A lot of these people are already under Hospice care. I’m sure they appreciate the 20% Medicare COVID19 bounce to the bottom line. 

M8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

Well said!  What does it say about us as a nation that we now have largely closed our eyes to this tragedy?  When some simply say, "It is what it is," that is a slap in the face to the families who have lost loved ones.

What was the average daily mortality rate prior to C19.  I know in many cases that death was inevitable, however recorded as C19 death.  And one is from a very personal experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, nelblu said:

What was the average daily mortality rate prior to C19.  I know in many cases that death was inevitable, however recorded as C19 death.  And one is from a very personal experience.

I have been trying to sort out the data with this info but can’t find anything that makes sense. Any coded CV case get a 20% bump. Even the uninsured are included if they have CV. 

M8

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I read that 30% to 40% of all US covid deaths were residents of nursing homes.  I think you have the answer. Maybe the US is equipped to keep people living long lives, but covid was too much for many of those people.

The latest number I read was 40%. What is also quite disturbing is the % that came within the prison system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I read that 30% to 40% of all US covid deaths were residents of nursing homes.  I think you have the answer. 

So deaths in nursing homes are less important than other lives?

Is that what you and others are saying?

11 minutes ago, yogimax said:

No.  What I am saying is that maybe the US has very good medical care for elderly people and we have a very large elderly population. The issue isn't that the US is such a horrible place that we let people die left and right.  The issue could be that either the nursing homes weren't kept as protected as they should have been or the number of very elderly people the US might be a reason for the high death count.  We know covid kills the elderly at a MUCH higher death rate than younger people. It's not that the US is doing such a horrible job with the virus, there are other things in play.  We have 330 million people in the US.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

65% in our County. CV deaths in LTC facilities. A lot of these people are already under Hospice care. I’m sure they appreciate the 20% Medicare COVID19 bounce to the bottom line. 

M8

I work for a Hospice System with one of the largest market shares in the country... The highlighted information above couldn't be further from the truth. FYI

10 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Who said that?  Every life is important but none of us live forever. We are familiar with a couple of hard hit LTC facilities. Many of the inpatients are already under Hospice care. I think it’s important to know how CV affected their death?  Typically, under Hospice care, only palliative care is provided. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I work for a Hospice System with one of the largest market shares in the country... The highlighted information above couldn't be further from the truth. FYI

And you know this for a FACT here? Hospice is different by County/City. 
I’ve seen the tracing/tracking data for CV in our County and related 3 hospitals. 

M8

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

In our county in No VA, it was almost 70% of deaths.  All the 80+ year olds were in LTC and a couple in the 70-79 age group.    These individuals were at high risk from any disease they might catch.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And you know this for a FACT here? Hospice is different by County/City. 
I’ve seen the tracing/tracking data for CV in our County and related 3 hospitals. 

M8

Up here hospice and plaintive care are hand in hand equal. Long Term Care is not the same as those two, and then there are retirement homes over and above. 

With LTC some areas of Canada were hit hard by Covid, but more specifically select homes than entire counties. Unfortunately the homes hit hard were earlier in the pandemic. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Up here hospice and plaintive care are hand in hand the same thing. Long Term Care is not the same as those two and then there are retirement homes over and above. 

With LTC some areas of Canada were hit hard by Covid, but more specifically select homes than entire counties. 

One of the LTC facilities here with the highest deaths, are also in addition to LTC, a Hospice facility. This one facility had more deaths than all the others combined. 

M8

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

One of the LTC facilities here with the highest deaths, are also in addition to LTC, a Hospice facility. This one facility had more deaths than all the others combined. 

M8

Sadly, that was a one-two punch for that facility.💔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is sad is that the first real nursing home impact occurred in the state of Washington early in the pandemic stage.  Yet, the nursing homes in the tri-state area were forced to take C19 patient which led to a large majority of deaths.

Does anyone know if the CDC traced the Adam or Eve of the US pandemic.  I was watching a program, can't recall if it was the History Channel or related, that supposedly identified a young Kansas farmer who joined the Army during WW1 who's the "Adam" of the Spanish Flu.  

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1