Bit of a Bait and Switch

RLK33853

We had our Sea of Cortez cruise cancelled for the end of October and were informed that Princess was not only returning our FCC of $100 each, but giving us each another $100 to be used when we rebooked another cruise.  So this week we rebooked this same cruise for February of 2022.  After it was booked using the $100 FCC that had been returned, and using the extra $100 they gave us which reduced the the total price, I checked for our onboard credit that comes with using a FCC.  It wasn't there so we contacted our travel agent to see why. 

Our travel agent contacted Princess and was told that while our returned $100 FCC was now being utilized as our deposit, it was no longer a FCC and we wouldn't get any OBC.  So essentially they gave us our original $200 back, added another $200 to be used against the cost of our new cruise, but we no longer get our $100 OBC.  All in all we are still ahead/net $100 but it still seems to be a bit of bait and switch.  Can't really complain, but just thought I would throw it out there for others in case the same happens to you.

• Like 1

Likely you were using an FCD rather than an FCC.  They really had no business converting your FCD to anything else. It should have been returned to your account for use on another booking (unless it was ready to expire).

I would raise "heck" with your TA and get it all explained to your satisfaction.

• Like 2

No, not a bit of a bait and switch. You need to read AND understand what Princess offered in conjunction with your cancelled cruise.

My understanding was you needed to request a 'refund' if you used a Princess FCD(Future Cruise Deposit) that awarded you some OBC from Princess depending on the cabin category and length of your cruise and wanted it returned to be used on a future sailing as long as it has not expired. In the last pauses, refunds did not get any bonus FCC(Future Cruise Credit). 

Sounds like you received double the deposit compensation for not requesting a refund in the form of a $100 refundable FCC and a bonus $100 non refundable FCC that will reduce the cruisefare when applied to a future booking. Yes, with the later pauses, Princess is now allowing you to use these FCC'c towards the deposit required for a future booking. In the first pauses you needed to supply either a unused FCD in your account if you had spares or $$ to cover the deposit and then Princess would apply any FCC to reduce cruisefare.

I have read in another thread a passenger said Princess moved the OBC earned by using a FCD from cancelled booking to new booking but it has not been 100% as others have reported, your bonus FCC is your compensation.

Ask your travel agent to call Princess to see if they are willing to move/transfer your 'lost' OBC.

Your $100 FCC is not a FCD so it is not entitled to earn any OBC.

while typing this, I see someone else has possibly replied with similar answer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Your gross was $200 so what's the problem? You got full value.

In the ideal situation, the OP would have an unused 'spare' FCD in thier Princess account they could use for this future booking along with the newly earned $200 FCC. 

OP was somehow misled the FCC awarded would act like a FCD. Princess has always been clear FCD's are normally returned when you request 'refund' if they have not expired. Op did not request refund so they got bonus FCC.

I know with the first pauses, in the FAQ's, it used to say contact customer relations regarding this 'lost' OBC as you will receive FCC not a FCD that earns OBC when applied. The wording has now been changed to say something like your FCD should be returned promptly for you to use on a future sailing. Well the only way to get a returned FCD is asking for a refund,  so out of luck if you want any extra FCC for Princess cancelling your cruise. Princess may have changed thier position on making some passengers 'whole' as many Passengers probably do not keep spare FCD's in thier accounts. 

I did see a thread where person reported Princess was amicable and moved OBC earned from using a FCD on a cancelled cruise to thier new cruise as they did not have any spare FCD's.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Your gross was $200 so what's the problem? You got full value.

Don't really have a problem Cruizsnoose - read the end of my original message:

Can't really complain, but just thought I would throw it out there for others in case the same happens to you.  

The intent was to let others know in case it happens to them................do you feel better now?

• Like 1

When we cancelled 3 cruises I specifically asked for our FCD to be returned to our accounts as FCD. I don't trust Princess and their FCC. As it turns out we have already re-booked and used the FCD on other cruise that may or may not happen. My reasoning was that, if we end up not actually cruising, the FCD are fully refundable while the FCC are not. I'd rather have my guaranteed refundable $100 FCD than a "maybe I'll get it" FCC.

I know with the last couple of pauses, Princess gave base/deposit FCC which is refundable and the bonus was non refundable.

So most people planning on sailing with Princess again in the not too distant future and had some spare FCD's in their account, make out a bit better than just asking for FCD to be returned without getting bonus FCC.

Even if you did not have any spare FCD's many people do not book a qualifying cruise which would have earned them $100 OBC for using a FCD.

Thrak, I believe you mentioned you usually do in another thread.

7 minutes ago, wallyj said:

I know with the last couple of pauses, Princess gave base/deposit FCC which is refundable and the bonus was non refundable.

So most people planning on sailing with Princess again in the not too distant future and had some spare FCD's in their account, make out a bit better than just asking for FCD to be returned without getting bonus FCC.

Even if you did not have any spare FCD's many people do not book a qualifying cruise which would have earned them $100 OBC for using a FCD.

Thrak, I believe you mentioned you usually do in another thread.

Yes, we keep multiple on hand.  I buy FCD's on every cruise and then can let old ones expire or cancel them if not going to use.  

So, I would book a new cruise with a FCD and then use the FCC as extra down payment.  However, from the "buyer beware" dept, Princess' booking system will auto-apply a FCC against the cruise fare when booking a cruise with your CC member number.  It happens automagically and not sure how to stop it unless TA gets Princess agent to override. 

I had our FCC (the May 1, 2022 one) applied as extra down payment on a existing booking, knowing if we or they cancel the booking, the FCC will return to our CC account. 

This way, when I might make a new booking, it is "clean" and the FCD can go in as deposit, earning OBC, and no messing with FCC popping in unannounced.

My FCD was returned as a FCC in my March 7/20 cancellation. Not  expiring until March 2021, but Princess would not return it as a FCD. Lost use of it as a deposit, lost OBC it came with. Everyone is not treated the same by Princess. 

If I understand your original deposit was a $100/pp future cruise deposit (FCD) which when used comes with OBC or either $25 or $50/pp for a 10 day cruise. When the cruise was cancelled you selected to receive the deposit as a future cruise credit (FCC) and accept some of the bonus credit that was offered. Once the original deposit is converted to a credit the OBC is no longer there.

Your result is now the $200 deposit + $200 credit toward payment = $400.

If you would have selected to return your FCD's to your account your result would have been $200 + a max of $100 depending on your cabin selection = $300.

Summary - You are ahead, no bait and switch. Princess delivered as they said they would. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wallyj said:

No, not a bit of a bait and switch. You need to read AND understand what Princess offered in conjunction with your cancelled cruise.

My understanding was you needed to request a 'refund' if you used a Princess FCD(Future Cruise Deposit) that awarded you some OBC from Princess depending on the cabin category and length of your cruise and wanted it returned to be used on a future sailing as long as it has not expired. In the last pauses, refunds did not get any bonus FCC(Future Cruise Credit). 

Sounds like you received double the deposit compensation for not requesting a refund in the form of a $100 refundable FCC and a bonus $100 non refundable FCC that will reduce the cruisefare when applied to a future booking. Yes, with the later pauses, Princess is now allowing you to use these FCC'c towards the deposit required for a future booking. In the first pauses you needed to supply either a unused FCD in your account if you had spares or $$ to cover the deposit and then Princess would apply any FCC to reduce cruisefare.

I have read in another thread a passenger said Princess moved the OBC earned by using a FCD from cancelled booking to new booking but it has not been 100% as others have reported, your bonus FCC is your compensation.

Ask your travel agent to call Princess to see if they are willing to move/transfer your 'lost' OBC.

Your $100 FCC is not a FCD so it is not entitled to earn any OBC.

while typing this, I see someone else has possibly replied with similar answer

This is accurate information!  It is not a bait and switch .... people need to do a bit of homework (not much, just a little) and realize what the difference is between an FCC and a FCD.  I was booked on a short little cruise on which I put down our FCDs as our deposit.  I then added a couple of bonus gift cards to that deposit.  When I called, they said my FCD as well as my bonus gift card deposit would be doubled if I just left it as is.  Since my FCD was only going to generate $15 pp in OBC and the bonus gift cards were going to expire, I was able to double both ... so, I was ahead.  Because I already had an active FCD in my account, it was a no brainer.  It wasn't a game I was playing, as I full well expected to see cruises back up and running by then.  The agent I spoke to made no secret that the FCD would be turned into an FCC.  I already suspected this as I've poured over these boards a lot recently.  

For the OP, I understand from these boards that if you feel as though you would like your FCD back, this can probably be reversed.  They will place your FCD back into your account and take the FCCs away.  It might take a bit of time but, they are faster than before on the refunds / compensation.  It all depends on if you are wanting to take a longer cruise and what cabin type you'd normally book to see which one is a better value for you. 

10 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I already suspected this as I've poured over these boards a lot recently.  

might make an interesting new thread ??

what is the best thing you have ever learned on these Princess / Cruise Critic threads over the years

I'll start if it goes ... I learned what a "Move OVER" offer was and that it was extremely important to respond to the email

received immediately if you were even considering taking it ... It worked out very well for us, when we received one

( sorry if this is a thread hijack, and mods feel free to remove )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

might make an interesting new thread ??

what is the best thing you have ever learned on these Princess / Cruise Critic threads over the years

I'll start if it goes ... I learned what a "Move OVER" offer was and that it was extremely important to respond to the email

received immediately if you were even considering taking it ... It worked out very well for us, when we received one

( sorry if this is a thread hijack, and mods feel free to remove )

My goodness, YES!!  Those move over offers are amazing and since we live within ear shot of a cruise port and have a flexible schedule, we are usually always willing to take one.  Same with the upsell or even down grade offers, although, they don't have quite the same value.  

Of note, I book through travel agents but also like to keep one future booking with Princess.  It just seems to have worked out in my benefit with these offers and I also am not sure but, it seems like my refunds / compensation came back to me quicker on those sailings that were booked directly with them.  

• Like 1

On our last cruise that got cancelled (Golden) we only had a FCD on it. That was eventually returned to our account

in full value as a FCD. Nothing changed.

Now it sounds like on this last cruise (Sun) that got cancelled by them and we used an FCD only, that I will have 

to call them and have them reinstate the monies as FCD. I do not see why I should. Its so simple.

22 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

On our last cruise that got cancelled (Golden) we only had a FCD on it. That was eventually returned to our account

in full value as a FCD. Nothing changed.

Now it sounds like on this last cruise (Sun) that got cancelled by them and we used an FCD only, that I will have 

to call them and have them reinstate the monies as FCD. I do not see why I should. Its so simple.

I think from an accounting point of view, since an FCD can be refunded, it has to be treated separately. Versus an FCC which is money in the bank for Princess. Princess could have said they would reinstate FCD if you did not ask for FCC, not sure it makes a lot of difference either way FCC + Bonus FCC versus FCD + OBC and since Princess would prefer to get the FCD off the books they chose that option.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I think from an accounting point of view, since an FCD can be refunded, it has to be treated separately. Versus an FCC which is money in the bank for Princess. Princess could have said they would reinstate FCD if you did not ask for FCC, not sure it makes a lot of difference either way FCC + Bonus FCC versus FCD + OBC and since Princess would prefer to get the FCD off the books they chose that option.

If turned into an FCC + bonus FCC, the FCC is refundable if not used within a year while the bonus FCC is not refundable.

Theoretically the bonus FCC could be spent towards a cruise fare and you could still get the FCC refunded after a year.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

If turned into an FCC + bonus FCC, the FCC is refundable if not used within a year while the bonus FCC is not refundable.

Theoretically the bonus FCC could be spent towards a cruise fare and you could still get the FCC refunded after a year.

Theoretically ... but ... on our cruise booked for 4/2021 - the 'refundable credit' was applied first to the cruise, then the remainder of the bonus ( double deposit ) was applied up to cruise fare ... so we each now have $ 75 of FCC ( NON-refundable ) to be used on a different cruise by 5/2022

we are in a deluxe balcony on Caribe - so the next bump would be to a mini, and that doesn't interest us