Old Style Crow's Nest

Relaxing1

My last cruise was on the Zaandam, which had the "old" Crows Nest, and we loved it!  However, I think she has since been in dry dock, so it was changed, though as she is to be the new World Cruise ship, I can't imagine the regular world cruisers would like the new concept.

11 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

My last cruise was on the Zaandam, which had the "old" Crows Nest, and we loved it!  However, I think she has since been in dry dock, so it was changed, though as she is to be the new World Cruise ship, I can't imagine the regular world cruisers would like the new concept.

We were on the Zaandam in January and I asked about the library and crows nest.  I remember them saying that the library would remain but I don't remember anything about the crows nest.  Where did you hear that it would be changed?

• Like 1

My experience is that the Prinsendam (sold) and S & R ships kept the old Crow’s Nest format.  Most of the S & R ships are sold along with the Prinsendam.  Only ones left are the Volendam and Zaandam, I believe.

The Vista, Signature and Pinnacle Class all have the new concept Crow’s Nests to the best of my knowledge.

I believe the Zaandam will be the only one left, unless they changed the dance floor into carpet in drydock, which they did on the Volendam, there they killed the Crow's nest, no more band, music etc. and it closes at 8:00pm, no more service.

Volendam and Zaandam have the old Crow's Nest as designed when they first joined in 1999 and 2000. They will remain that way until both leave the company. They both also still have the full libraries as part of their Exploration Cafes on Deck 5/UP. What has changed (Volendam) and is changing as we speak (Zaandam) is that the Mix-concept also on Deck 5 has been replaced by a smaller version (compared to the Vistas and up) of Billboard Onboard 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Volendam and Zaandam have the old Crow's Nest as designed when they first joined in 1999 and 2000. They will remain that way until both leave the company. They both also still have the full libraries as part of their Exploration Cafes on Deck 5/UP. What has changed (Volendam) and is changing as we speak (Zaandam) is that the Mix-concept also on Deck 5 has been replaced by a smaller version (compared to the Vistas and up) of Billboard Onboard 

The Volendam has lost the dance floor and bandstand, it's all carpet and closed at 8:00pm.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Has the Noordam's CN been changed over to the new style?  Last year it was beautifully old-style and so comfortable!

Noordam still has the old style Crow's Nest with Captain's Corner on the starboard side. She also, as the only Vista, still has her Explorations Cafe on Deck 3/Prom Deck starboard side

• Like 1

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Noordam still has the old style Crow's Nest with Captain's Corner on the starboard side. She also, as the only Vista, still has her Explorations Cafe on Deck 3/Prom Deck starboard side

Thank you.  I hope there is no dry dock scheduled to make changes any time soon. Would like to spend a couple of weeks in Alaska this coming season on this ship.

10 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thank you.  I hope there is no dry dock scheduled to make changes any time soon. Would like to spend a couple of weeks in Alaska this coming season on this ship.

She actually had another dry-dock scheduled from 23 Nov until 06 Dec this year at the Sembawang yard in Singapore but that was pre-pandemic...................time will tell; keep your fingers crossed

• Like 1

I have said this before on CC, but I will say it again.  The refreshed Crow's Nest on those ships that have them are still just as enjoyable as the original Crow's Nest ever was.  Yes, the bar is smaller and a coffee bar may be in place.  Yes, the Captain's Corner has been altered to, what I think, is an even more underused space.  Yes, the Shore Excursion office, etc., now occupies a small amount of space.  Does such intrude on the enjoyment of the venue?  Not in my experience.  When the refreshed Crow's Nest appeared, there were many empty shelves.  I was very pleased to see that we cruisers are helping to fill those shelves with books that we are leaving behind.  

When the ship is sailing in a scenic area, the windows are still there.  Folding chairs are erected to provide more seating.  The appropriate "goodies" for the area being visited--  Panama Buns, Clam Chowder, etc.--were still being served.  The PA carried the narration from the EXC Tour Guide or other guides aboard the ship.  

The demise of the Crow's Nest has been overwrought for some time, in my experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I disagree with the last post. I have fond memories of my first couple HAL cruises where they had live entertainment at night in the CN. It was a lively atmosphere with a well attended bar and plenty of servers walking around. It was a great venue for toned-down live music. Even in the early evening, I remember a solo guitarist during the happy hours. 

Now it’s a ghost town at night. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There has not been live entertainment in the Crows Nest at night for many years on any vessels (except for the brief experiment on Rotterdam VI with  converting it to BB Kings at night).  So if Zaandam retains the bandstand area and dance floor expect them to either not be used, or only for a DJ w/ pre-recorded music playing to a nearly empty room.  Judging by my experience on the Amsterdam last summer where even the Ocean Bar and Piano Bar were virtual ghost towns each and every evening, even when live music is available the HAL clientele were not patronizing the lounges.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

There has not been live entertainment in the Crows Nest at night for many years on any vessels (except for the brief experiment on Rotterdam VI with  converting it to BB Kings at night).  So if Zaandam retains the bandstand area and dance floor expect them to either not be used, or only for a DJ w/ pre-recorded music playing to a nearly empty room.  Judging by my experience on the Amsterdam last summer where even the Ocean Bar and Piano Bar were virtual ghost towns each and every evening, even when live music is available the HAL clientele were not patronizing the lounges.

Zuiderdam 2014 was the last time I saw entertainment in the CN.  My experiences were far different from yours though.  It was always well attended.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Zuiderdam 2014 was the last time I saw entertainment in the CN.  My experiences were far different from yours though.  It was always well attended.  

Just to be clear - the ONLY live music on the Amsterdam was in either the Ocean Bar (jazz combo with limited evening sets ending by 1045pm), Piano Bar (limited evening sets ending by 11pm) and the sleepytime duo in Explorers lounge before/after early seating dinner.  That was it.  Nothing in Crows Nest (not even a DJ late at night), nothing to rotate in between the other acts, nothing by the pool.  It was a VERY sedate evening experience unless one went to the Mainstage shows at 8 or 10pm.  In an otherwise near perfect cruise experience the evening entertainment was the glaring hole.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I disagree with the last post. I have fond memories of my first couple HAL cruises where they had live entertainment at night in the CN. It was a lively atmosphere with a well attended bar and plenty of servers walking around. It was a great venue for toned-down live music. Even in the early evening, I remember a solo guitarist during the happy hours. 

I do remember the live band with vocalist (in particular a Romanian group who had CDs for sale) on the "S" and "R" ships at night; yes, it's been a while (except for Amsterdam on her Grand Voyages), but they drew dancers out to the floor. I also remember the solo guitar player in the CN. Good times but all things from the past

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Aquahound said:

We are not in as much disagreement as what you might think.  I experienced what you have experienced.  Even when the venue was used as a BB King's Club, it was great and one could have found me on the dance floor from time to time.  I remember celebrating New Year's Eve with 3 good friends in the Crow's Nest on the Nieuw Amsterdam not so long ago.  There was a small combo and a party atmosphere with dancing prevailed.  (However:  one could only get one "free" glass of sparkling whatever.  Officially, of course.)  This is what the Crow's Nest ought to be used during the evenings. 

The "suits" in Seattle thought otherwise.  "Have to try something different."  (Have to try to "justify" my job is what I think much of what has taken place regarding programming for the Crow's Nest has been.)  

My "concern" is about the so very many negative comments about the functionality and guest enjoyment about the Crow's Nest that have been posted on this Message Board.  In my opinion, these comments lead to negative impressions that are unwarranted.

The view from the Crow's Nest remains.  The furniture is different, yet I always found a comfortable place to sit.  If one wants a coffee of some type, it's available.  If one wants another drink, it's available.  There has always been at least one Steward(ess) present in addition to the coffee bar attendant; more are present on major sightseeing days.  

Is the re-imagined Crow's Nest different from what it once was?  Yes.  I am "different" from what I once was as well.  Is the Crow's Nest an unpleasant place for a guest to spend some time?  No.  Am I unpleasant because I am now "different" from what I once was?  I hope not.    

Edited by rkacruiser

2019 on the Prinsendam,  we had a piano bar in the Crow's Nest. He was only ok, and the place would be about half full. And 2018, we had Stevie in the Crow's Nest. That was packed most every night. We still miss the Prinsendam.  Both times it was a cruise around the British Isles.