Where have The " regulars" Gone....DaiB....Selbourne....Andy...etc.

janny444

9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I thought 'her with the sound of the posts. Very eccentric with weird and wonderful ideas. Loved reading the outlandish opinions. My favouties were cabin stewards touching her nightwear and lemons delivered to the cabin. Fascinating

Avril

I hope these missing posters will return when cruising starts again and that they are all OK. 

I am not missing the few who appeared quite aggressively when the refund debacle was in full swing. 

We were all angry/worried and this wasn't a fun place to be, so maybe that put a lot of posters off. 

Andy 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

I recall reading a review of Arcadia on this site a few years back. The overall tone was very snobbish but one comment just made me roar with laughter. They described the food in the main dining room as being "like school dinners". I went to a fairly posh state Grammar School and school dinners there were certainly nothing like any food I've had on P&O. I would have loved to have known what school they went to 🤣

When I played rugby at school, every season we played against the nearest fancy school - Brentwood School. Not your Eton or Harrow, but the nearest thing Essex had to those places.

Oranges at half-time and after the match, there was always tea, sandwiches & cakes in the dining room.  Well posh for us comp oiks.

Mind you, those posh kids were the only teams I played against where players were sent off for racism and tripping.  No one on our team I might add.

• Like 1

My goodness....Fanged Rose....I barely remember that name....you do wonder where they " disappear" to but of course life's circumstances change and I would think that some of the " longer time regulars" aren't used to ....and don't want to put up with....aggressive personal comments....Us owd folk are used to   "gentler" times 😁

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

When I played rugby at school, every season we played against the nearest fancy school - Brentwood School. Not your Eton or Harrow, but the nearest thing Essex had to those places.

Oranges at half-time and after the match, there was always tea, sandwiches & cakes in the dining room.  Well posh for us comp oiks.

Mind you, those posh kids were the only teams I played against where players were sent off for racism and tripping.  No one on our team I might add.

A rugby only playing school that managed to produce Frank Lampard.. 

His Dad was a footballer, never understood why he sent him there.. 

Robin Day and Griff Rhys-Jones also attended.

Andy 

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Keith Allen was expelled from there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I hope these missing posters will return when cruising starts again and that they are all OK. 

I am not missing the few who appeared quite aggressively when the refund debacle was in full swing. 

We were all angry/worried and this wasn't a fun place to be, so maybe that put a lot of posters off. 

Andy 

Fanged Rose disappeared well before before covid reared it's ugly head. I wasn't a member of  the forum when she stopped posting. I saw a couple of posts on another forum, then nothing. As you say, there are some that aren't missed. I have a little trick I use to stop getting wound up about those  posters, but don't tell anyone🤫 I imagine Elmer Fudd hiding under the stairs stuttering and and tapping away on his little keyboard. Works a treat😉

Avril

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Fanged Rose disappeared well before before covid reared it's ugly head. I wasn't a member of  the forum when she stopped posting. I saw a couple of posts on another forum, then nothing. As you say, there are some that aren't missed. I have a little trick I use to stop getting wound up about those  posters, but don't tell anyone🤫 I imagine Elmer Fudd hiding under the stairs stuttering and and tapping away on his little keyboard. Works a treat😉

Avril

I think one of them must be the new CEO of Carnival or something as I believe he issued a winding up/possession order over a booking in the Limelight? 😊

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Frank Lampard senior had an account at the bank I worked in the 70s. But he never came into the branch 

19 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ooh, are you from my old Manor? 

He lived in Gidea Park, Romford. 

Andy 

I’m originally from Grays, and I was working at a tiny branch of Barclays, at Aveley. If I recall correctly, the account was for his transport business, based at Upminster 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m originally from Grays, and I was working at a tiny branch of Barclays, at Aveley. If I recall correctly, the account was for his transport business, based at Upminster 

I had some dealings with his property company in the 80s and 90s, but he was a terrible payer... 

Andy 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Ooh Aveley..dear old Aveley.   Memories flooding back.  I had a boyfriend in Fortin Way.  Many happy teenage memories.

I used to travel from Dulwich after work on a Saturday, on the buses.  Took ages!

You are one of those rare people who have heard of Aveley!

Back in the 70s there was still a good community feel - when I worked there I felt part of it 

13 hours ago, Britboys said:

I recall reading a review of Arcadia on this site a few years back. The overall tone was very snobbish but one comment just made me roar with laughter. They described the food in the main dining room as being "like school dinners". I went to a fairly posh state Grammar School and school dinners there were certainly nothing like any food I've had on P&O. I would have loved to have known what school they went to 🤣

School dinners I remember when us poor kids used to look through the windows of the local grammar school seeing what the rich kids consumed.

3 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

School dinners I remember when us poor kids used to look through the windows of the local grammar school seeing what the rich kids consumed.

Not in the grammar schools I went to!  And there was no sign of any rich kids - that's not the way it worked.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

You are a valued friend of this forum Janny, you don't have to post every day to be remembered. 

Andy 

I agree.

It is only with Covid19 that some of us worry posters we know are safe and well when they haven't posted for a while.

Graham.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not in the grammar schools I went to!  And there was no sign of any rich kids - that's not the way it worked.

There was a mix of poor and rich kids at my grammar school.

I always had school meals.

My mam was a cook supervisor at another school so got school meals for tea too.

30 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I know that but alas the closest private school to us we burnt it down hahahahaha

49 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You are one of those rare people who have heard of Aveley!

Back in the 70s there was still a good community feel - when I worked there I felt part of it 

My mum was a teacher in Grays and had to spend a day a week teaching in Aveley.  I think Fatima Whitbread was on the staff there at the time.

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

I was a grammar school kid and believe me you wouldn't want to eat the stuff that was served up to us.  My husband went to a nearby mixed comprehensive and he tells me that their dinners were delivered by van from our school because there was no kitchen at their school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

We were a mixed bunch in terms of wealth at my grammar school, a few were poor enough to have free school dinners but I would say the majority were like my family, not rich but had hard working parents who made sure that all our needs were met, I can only recall one "rich" girl in our year .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We were a mixed bunch in terms of wealth at my grammar school, a few were poor enough to have free school dinners but I would say the majority were like my family, not rich but had hard working parents who made sure that all our needs were met, I can only recall one "rich" girl in our year .

That’s the way it was in most grammar schools, and I went to three in different parts of the country.  Very, very mixed.

My wife came from one of the roughest estates in town, but she was bright enough to pass the 11+ (only one in the school, and beaten up for it).  Life changing, though I have to say that that system did not serve those who didn’t pass well.  Good comprehensives do a far fairer job.

• Like 3