Where have The " regulars" Gone....DaiB....Selbourne....Andy...etc.

janny444

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You are one of those rare people who have heard of Aveley!

Back in the 70s there was still a good community feel - when I worked there I felt part of it 

I played football at Aveley, they had a fairly decent team. 

I think they may have merged with Purfleet? 

Andy 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I played football at Aveley, they had a fairly decent team. 

I think they may have merged with Purfleet? 

Andy 

I don't know, Andy.

My non league football interest was Grays Athletic. My parents house overlooked the ground, and a lot of my childhood involved climbing over the fence on matchdays, and collecting the bottles at half time to return for pennies. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never once had school meals used to walk home, about a mile and get my own lunch and then walk back to school. Spam fritters mmmmm love them.

I had lunch at home too. Still make spam fritters, but very, very rarely. Have to look after the health better now Tom😉

Avril

Stew, goulash, roast sliced ox heart - omg there were some baddies

Then there were potato shortages & your gravy with unidentified fatty meat pieces would be accompanied by a piece of white sliced bread 😳 (only)

Therecwere a very few nice meals.  Puds were best.  Traybake cake with pink icing with hundreds & thousands & pink custard.  Rice pudding with apricot gloop

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

No.

Semolina was disgusting though.

Brown Stew was a regular at our schools. And milk pudding. Both covered a multitude of sins.

One enterprising lad in our class ran a book on what was coming up ( very short odds for those two). Came unstuck once we realised all it took was a quick word with a dinner lady.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

No rich kids in our school, but school dinners I remember them well..........spam fritters followed by chocolate hard cake with pink custard mmmmmm 😋

14 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Stew, goulash, roast sliced ox heart - omg there were some baddies

Then there were potato shortages & your gravy with unidentified fatty meat pieces would be accompanied by a piece of white sliced bread 😳 (only)

Therecwere a very few nice meals.  Puds were best.  Traybake cake with pink icing with hundreds & thousands & pink custard.  Rice pudding with apricot gloop

Pink Custard!!! I still have nightmares about the stuff!!  Following a pink custard incident at junior school, it put me off any colour of custard for nearly 30 years.  Still not keen on the stuff, although oddly enough on the occasions I've dared to eat it I quite liked it.  Bizarre.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don't know, Andy.

My non league football interest was Grays Athletic. My parents house overlooked the ground, and a lot of my childhood involved climbing over the fence on matchdays, and collecting the bottles at half time to return for pennies. 

Played there as well.. 

Went for a half time drink, somebody had nicked the bottles... 😊

Andy 

• Like 2

No rich kids in our school, but school dinners I remember them well..........spam fritters followed by chocolate hard cake with pink custard mmmmmm 😋

Thought about you earlier Rupert, there is a thread about missing posters... 

Welcome back. 

Andy 

• Like 2

Was it shooters?

Mine was 

Hard (very hard) chocolate cake (shooters) and pink custard

Finally got my spoon into the shooters but used too much force and the piece of cake plus pink custard flew across the table into the lap of the head, who had joined our table for lunch that day ... 😳

Wonder how it got the name Shooters??? 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Did you go to the same school as me --- remember it well!

As for grammar schools - they all went comprehensive around here before I started middle school - so I am feeling very young (cough)

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Also remember rice pudding with the skin on because it had gone cold ............ yuk

Lumpy custard of any colour

Lumpy gravy too

Gave up after 2 weeks and used to walk home at lunchtime for dinner - not a mile though, only about a quarter of a mile 🙂

52 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Did you go to the same school as me --- remember it well!

As for grammar schools - they all went comprehensive around here before I started middle school - so I am feeling very young (cough)

Went to the one that is no longer there just across the fields from where I think you are now. Mr Powell was our Head and Mr Bradbury was deputy.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Played there as well.. 

Went for a half time drink, somebody had nicked the bottles... 😊

Andy 

My parents house was in the road behind the goal. Not the road with the gate into the ground, the one at the other end. I could watch matches from the back bedroom window 

• Like 1

Went to the one that is no longer there just across the fields from where I think you are now. Mr Powell was our Head and Mr Bradbury was deputy.

Mmmmm Mr Farum HT and Mr Brunt DHT retired when we left. I may be older than you !

Is your school now a care home?

Thank you Andy. I have still been around, just not had much to say.

Nice to have you back 🙂

Looking at the news we may all have more time to be in touch over the coming months 😞

• Like 1