Cunard return to sailing October 2020 Guidelines

akmday10

I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but I have just seen the new guidelines Cunard have announced, which can be found here: https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/experience/return-to-sailing/rts-pdfs/Cunard Return to Sailing Oct8 - UK.pdf

I understand where they are coming from, however my concern is if you do test positive in the days leading up to the cruise, will you be able to move your cruise or get credit? As I cannot afford to waste my money, and neither can my family. I am now thinking it may be best to move my holiday unless I know that I will not lose my money if I do test positive or have symptoms. 

I do not like the Cunard Excursions, however will do one on my cruise if one really jumps out to me, so this is not a major issue to me. 

Whats everyones thoughts on this?

13 minutes ago, akmday10 said:

... my concern is if you do test positive in the days leading up to the cruise, will you be able to move your cruise or get credit? As I cannot afford to waste my money, and neither can my family. I am now thinking it may be best to move my holiday unless I know that I will not lose my money if I do test positive or have symptoms. 

That's why Cunard insist you have travel insurance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, akmday10 said:

I am not surprised, just want to know what happens if you do test positive before boarding, can you then get credit for another cruise? 

Best speak with your Cunard PCS and post the definitive answer on CC for benefit of all

Thank you for posting!

For Cunard: I am out. 

I am glad bout many of the measures, I would be happy to wear masks, I would be happy to go on orgAnized tours, what I normally very rarely do, etc, but this is to much "You will only be permitted to dine with your travelling group or household"

When I last checked travel insurance (in the US anyway) currently does not cover cancellation in the event you have COVID. You can purchase cancel-for-any-reason coverage at additional cost but it only coves 75% of nonrefundable expenses.

There are other terms in the new policies which, while I appreciate that they're likely to be commonly applied to the cruising experience, would irreparably change the cruising experience for me and likely mean I would not cruise on any line imposing them. The prohibition on shared tables is chief among these as well as the loss of ability to explore ports on your own. There are other places I can spend my travel budget.

• Like 1

Although it's based on industry consultations and guidelines this is a Cunard document. So I'm intrigued by this item: You may be asked to pre-reserve a table at our restaurants.

And I don't see any mention of it but I'm guessing that social gatherings / cocktail parties are a thing of the past.

Our final payment date is 1 May, for a 12 September sailing.

Much can change between now and the final payment date - and if these regulations are still in placeI would be looking at cancelation [just loose the insurance premium if that could not be re-purposed for another sailing].

My Policy contains

• a covered Sickness or Injury involving an Insured, Traveling Companion or Business Partner, or Family Member of an Insured or Traveling Companion which necessitates Medical Treatment at the time of cancellation and results in medically imposed restrictions, as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician, which prevents an Insured’s participation in the Covered Trip;
  • an Insured or Traveling Companion being hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury (notice of jury duty must be received after the Effective Date) served with a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action in which an Insured or Traveling Companion is not a party (except law enforcement officers);

So I may be covered if turned away before boarding - I will need to clarify this with the carrier [TravelInsured]

5 hours ago, akmday10 said:

I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but I have just seen the new guidelines Cunard have announced, which can be found here: https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/experience/return-to-sailing/rts-pdfs/Cunard Return to Sailing Oct8 - UK.pdf

I understand where they are coming from, however my concern is if you do test positive in the days leading up to the cruise, will you be able to move your cruise or get credit? As I cannot afford to waste my money, and neither can my family. I am now thinking it may be best to move my holiday unless I know that I will not lose my money if I do test positive or have symptoms. 

I do not like the Cunard Excursions, however will do one on my cruise if one really jumps out to me, so this is not a major issue to me. 

Reading the Q&A section that it is up to you to get travel insurance so basically if you are refused boarding at the port or in the days before your cruise you will not get any refund of monies paid from Cunard and guess that FCC or moving cruise to another date would not be allowed as it states "standard cancellation policy" applies. Sorry but I think its a big NO from me for future cruises with Cunard as I would not be cruising with them with those instructions and certainly wouldnt do a Cunard excursion so be forced to stay onboard at every port of call. Not for me sorry. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

And I don't see any mention of it but I'm guessing that social gatherings / cocktail parties are a thing of the past.

Judging by the last three I attended on Queen Victoria they won't be a great loss.

Standards had really fallen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Judging by the last three I attended on Queen Victoria they won't be a great loss.

Standards had really fallen.

I wasn't just meaning ship sponsored events. If you can't dine with other people across a six foot table I don't see meeting up in the bars or lounges as an option.

No more CC get togethers (as Hattie says, hopefully only for the short/medium term).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carlmm said:

Thank you for posting!

For Cunard: I am out. 

I am glad bout many of the measures, I would be happy to wear masks, I would be happy to go on orgAnized tours, what I normally very rarely do, etc, but this is to much "You will only be permitted to dine with your travelling group or household"

You would rather take chance and dine with people you do not know? Seems like a reasonable rule. Get another couple to travel with you and then you can eat at their table. 

Hmmm.  So masks to be worn in public areas.  

We are scheduled for a TA next May, and I have been wondering what the effect of any sorts of these protocols would have on my experience.  I have to say that because it's a TA, and because it's Cunard, it's really about history.  Over their 180 years the company has already maintained services through wars and pandemics.  Granted the circumstances are different (aren't they always?) but this just another chapter.  Hard to believe in 2020 we are *still* talking about Cunard crossings and *still* talking about the impact of global events on their services.  But these types of things are baked into the Cunard DNA.  

I am not sure I would have the same reaction where I thinking of embarking on a Celebrity cruise around the Caribbean or even a Seaborne cruise around the Med.  

12 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

You would rather take chance and dine with people you do not know? Seems like a reasonable rule. Get another couple to travel with you and then you can eat at their table. 

To me it's a reasonable rule. Just not an experience for which I'd spend thousands.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Get another couple to travel with you and then you can eat at their table. 

Whow, some more clever advice for people who for what ever reason are forced or choose to travel solo?

Fortunately the vast majority of people I have met on Cunard are friendly and social.

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I wasn't just meaning ship sponsored events. If you can't dine with other people across a six foot table I don't see meeting up in the bars or lounges as an option.

No more CC get togethers (as Hattie says, hopefully only for the short/medium term).

A socially distanced get together at sail away might be possible, outdoors generally being safer than indoors.