Cunard return to sailing October 2020 Guidelines

akmday10

23 minutes ago, ddgarner1 said:

No, it is not an unreasonable rule, but it is one, that now as a solo traveler, would render the experience valueless to me. 

Since my first cruise with family in the early 1980s, multiple European river cruises, and transatlantic crossing on the QM II, the most pleasurable experiences have been in meeting and getting to know people with whom I dined -- from concert pianist to long-haul bus driver from Glascow,
to owners of one of two stop light manufacturing companies in the USA, to a very, very senior person at the CIA.  The prospect of being confined to a solo cabin and then dining solo, well, I may as well stay home.  Cunard will offer me nothing of particular until things return to normal, otherwise, my cruise days are likely over.

I am sure a lot of solo travelers will feel the same.  

The only way round that I can see, would be to link up with someone before you travel so you can sit with them for meals. 

45 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

The only way round that I can see, would be to link up with someone before you travel so you can sit with them for meals. 

Well, if you can recommend a currently solo lady of wealth and intellect, I'm in...  I'd probably be a great disappointment to her, though.  LOL

17 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

If I knew and felt comfortable enough with somebody to "link up with" them before traveling I wouldn't need to travel solo.

Some of the rules, understandable though they are, do not appear to be conducive to  a pleasant voyage. Some of the concerns have been previously discussed so I won't repeat them.

The issue of insurance is of great concern to us. Although Canadians can get coverage for COVID-19 issues, despite the government adisory against "non essential" international travel, travel on cruise ships is specifically not available. The wording of the advisory against cruise ship travel is the issue with insurers.  The Cunard Care insurance may be available to Canadians, but the coverage for illness is limited to $20,000. Rumour has it that U.S. hospitals charge Canadians that much for an aspirin. (Yes, that is a joke going around.)

All being well, we should be on the QM2 between Halifax and New York a year from today. A lot can happen in a year. But with final fare due four months in advance we will have to make a decision by then.

22 hours ago, newjoisey said:

we re-scheduled our 2020 xmas carib cruise to 2021 .......oct of 2021 i will get involved and see if it is a go or no go 

Final payment is in ~August. I'll decide before then when I can still get my US deposit back (but I know what I'll do if things are as described in the latest guidance).

I just need to know the dress code for formal nights.  If its formal will one of those blue paper masks from China be allowed after 6pm?   Must your mask be color coordinated with your tux or gown?   What about masks that look like a skeleton or a dinosaur?

We definitely need to know! 😃

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DWhit said:

I just need to know the dress code for formal nights.  If its formal will one of those blue paper masks from China be allowed after 6pm?   Must your mask be color coordinated with your tux or gown?   What about masks that look like a skeleton or a dinosaur?

We definitely need to know! 😃

Depends whether there's a Masked Ball, perhaps?

On 10/14/2020 at 6:53 AM, ddgarner1 said:

No, it is not an unreasonable rule, but it is one, that now as a solo traveler, would render the experience valueless to me. 

Since my first cruise with family in the early 1980s, multiple European river cruises, and transatlantic crossing on the QM II, the most pleasurable experiences have been in meeting and getting to know people with whom I dined -- from concert pianist to long-haul bus driver from Glascow,
to owners of one of two stop light manufacturing companies in the USA, to a very, very senior person at the CIA.  The prospect of being confined to a solo cabin and then dining solo, well, I may as well stay home.  Cunard will offer me nothing of particular until things return to normal, otherwise, my cruise days are likely over.

Could not agree more. The whole point of cruising for me is meeting interesting people. Dinner is always a highlight, not just because of the great food in QG but because of the company. Basically, Cunard is saying as a solo passenger I must eat by myself or, as I suspect would be more the case, asked to eat in suite to make room for couples at the restaurant.

If that’s the rule for dinner it also stands to reason I’d be forced to sit alone in bars as well. What a boring holiday!

While I understand Cunard needs to take measures, they seem to be ignoring a sizeable chunk of their market. Plenty of solos on board each time I’ve been on and that’s a loss of business they might struggle to get back if they’re not careful. 

I won’t be returning to cruising until we are done with the COVID mess. Sadly, that’s a few years away at least (currently, we cannot leave the country until at least Nov 2021) but I know good things come to those who wait 🙂

One thing that did amuse me was the announcement of extra hand sanitising. So I guess now instead of 15 crew members lining the length of the ship along Kings Court on QM2 and dousing hands in liquid every five feet there’ll be 30. 

The gauntlet has increased in intensity...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2020 at 2:39 AM, exlondoner said:

It's the organised tours that put me off. I can't bear being talked at by guides on coach tours, often in poorly accented English. I'm hoping for lots of semi-guided strolls.

The tours are terrible by and large. I complained on my last cruise. One guide kept pointing out things that looked really interesting and I was hoping we’d go and explore various historical sites which were advertised but instead we were basically driven around, given brief gimpses of places and then shuffled into a mediocre restaurant and then more aimless wandering. It was marketed very differently to what we got. The final straw for me was “everyone stop and see! Over there is the shopping area and you can see an M&S.” Not sure what was worse: that he thought it was worthy of our time or that some in the group took photos 😂

My motto now is always do own sightseeing unless it’s gaining entry to something where the tour will help you beat the lines. The Vatican is one such example. 

I wouldn't say the tours are all terrible. I have been on several enjoyable visits to vineyards, and a trip to the Fabergé Museum in St. Petersburg two years ago was excellent. But it is me, I just hate being talked at. If there's something I want to know, I will already have discovered it by reading a guidebook. I wear earplugs but have never succeeded in blotting out the commentary.

6 hours ago, Austcruiser84 said:

The tours are terrible by and large. I complained on my last cruise. One guide kept pointing out things that looked really interesting and I was hoping we’d go and explore various historical sites which were advertised but instead we were basically driven around, given brief gimpses of places and then shuffled into a mediocre restaurant and then more aimless wandering. It was marketed very differently to what we got. The final straw for me was “everyone stop and see! Over there is the shopping area and you can see an M&S.” Not sure what was worse: that he thought it was worthy of our time or that some in the group took photos 😂

My motto now is always do own sightseeing unless it’s gaining entry to something where the tour will help you beat the lines. The Vatican is one such example. 

As a loyal Marks & Sparks I feel very attacked right now!!! 😅

We’ve taken many lovely ships tours.   They have also booked private excursions for us where they book the car and the driver.   Don’t know if that will be available during COVID.   We are booked to travel on the QM2 and I am not concerned with getting off the ship at any port.    Would rather not have to dine alone with my husband as I do that every night at home but I will make that concession if they let us sail!

16 hours ago, Austcruiser84 said:

....Basically, Cunard is saying as a solo passenger I must eat by myself or, as I suspect would be more the case, asked to eat in suite to make room for couples at the restaurant.....If that’s the rule for dinner it also stands to reason I’d be forced to sit alone in bars as well. What a boring holiday!...

One thing that did amuse me was the announcement of extra hand sanitising...

Good point on how solos would be handled.  Being required to dine in my cabin would be an even more isolating situation that dining at a table alone.

On hand sanitizing, I'd like to see passengers actually use the hand wash stations that were retrofitted into QM2 at Kings Count and the Carinthia Lounge.

• Like 1

No use having more hand sanitizing stations around the ship if there use is not enforced. Seen far too many enter buffet and MDR for lunch and dinner without blatantly not using it or coming out with all sorts of excuses not to use and only ever seen it really enforced at breakfast in MDR.

Will be getting the best cover possible, I think I will also be self-isolating for two weeks before my cruise as well!

Unfortunately with UK travel insurance companies unless your insurance was taken out BEFORE End of March 2020 they will not cover any Covid related clains

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I doubt anyone will be required to dine in their cabins unless they are sick or have been exposed to sick passengers.    I ate in my cabin once when I felt like I was coming down with a cold.   We were at a table for eight and I didn’t want to spread anything.    I can certainly recommend the chicken soup on the QM2.   I had that for dinner and in the morning I was feeling completely healthy!

9 hours ago, fizzy1 said:

Unfortunately with UK travel insurance companies unless your insurance was taken out BEFORE End of March 2020 they will not cover any Covid related claims. .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Things have moved on and many UK companies will insure Covid travel. The trick is to see exactly what they cover. and read very carefully exclusions and caveats.

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 9:28 PM, Lanky Lad said:

I think there is an aspect of this board for that kind of thing. It will also likely require Cunard to push this board or something like it as I don't think all cruisers necessarily know about it.  Although they have the solo meetup on board but table assignments are done before that happens.

On 10/13/2020 at 4:39 PM, exlondoner said:

It's the organised tours that put me off. I can't bear being talked at by guides on coach tours, often in poorly accented English. I'm hoping for lots of semi-guided strolls.

They certainly seem to work for Viking, both Ocean and River cruises, so I wouldn't write them off until we have more feedback of exactly what is on offer.