AMEX offer

Virgo61

2 hours ago, Virgo61 said:

I noticed today that my American Express Everyday Visa is offering $125 back on a $500 or more Celebrity purchase. I believe there was one for Norwegian as well.

Thanks for this!

I see a Celebrity offer for 12,500 bonus Membership Points on my AMEX Platinum for spending $500+ by December 31. I value the points at 1.5 cents each, so that'd be $187.50 in value. And it's pretty easy to redeem for 1 cent each which would put the value at $125, just like your offer.

I think I'll use this as an opportunity to put down more money on my Fall 2021 Canada/New England cruise (which I hope happens).

No cruise offers, Celebrity or otherwise. on my other AMEX cards (Hilton Aspire, Delta Gold, Blue Cash Everyday).

Edited by EvoUSA

26 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Does this Amex offer also apply to RCCL sailings or just X only?

My offer was specifically for X only.

From T&C:

Excludes international transactions, all onboard transactions, corporate sales and corporate sales gift cards, physical gift cards purchased online, e-gift cards, art auctions, Canyon Ranch Spa, and affiliate brands: Royal Caribbean, Silverseas, and Azamara.

Offer was on our blur card it not on the platinum. Called ta and applied it to an October(Reflection) cruise. Don’t apply it to a cruise that Celebrity might cancel,and as a refund will go back to the card and you will lose the benefit.

Hal

1 hour ago, drsel said:
8 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:
I checked and it's on my Blue Cash Everyday card as well.   It says it's US cardholders only.

Amex offers come regularly, but it's always for US card holders ONLY, correct?

There are some Amex Offers for Canadian card holders, I'm not sure about other countries. 

52 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Offer was on our blur card it not on the platinum. Called ta and applied it to an October(Reflection) cruise. Don’t apply it to a cruise that Celebrity might cancel,and as a refund will go back to the card and you will lose the benefit.

Hal

I had heard this, but I have used the offers at various times, and had two or three on cruises cancelled this year.  None of them took back the cash or the points.  I checked and have the AMEX points offer on the green card, and the cash back offer on my Optima Platinum.  I activated both, though I don't see booking any cruises by the end of Dec.  EM

I got it on my Everyday card.

I had used one of these last year on a cruise that cancelled for Sept of this year. I had paid the deposit on it with my RCCL card and $500 on the amex to get the offer. The deposit was NRF and minus the $200 penalty I got an FCC for it. The additional $500 was credited back to my RCCL instead of the Amex, so I don't know if they would have taken it back or not. At the very least I recouped $125 of the $200 cancellation penalty. We had cancelled before Celebrity did. It was a mistake on my part as they cancelled before final payment. 

At any rate I activated the offer, but unless Celebrity is cruising by 12/31/20 I won't be using it. I'm booking nothing until cruising restarts. 

Thanks.  Offer appeared on the IOS app (generic plat).  Managed to get $100 and $150 off cruise offers last year on cruises that hadn't hit their final payment dates.

If you don't see the offer on your mobile device, it's always worth checking on AMEX's web site.  You won't see all the offers on mobile (50 vs. 100, I think).

Edited by mk-ultra

3 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I haven't seen any such offer on my AmEx Platinum card.  Maybe I should just quit paying a premium for that and get the freebie green one!

it should be its on the centurion card

Annnnnd... as usual with anything to do with RCG's IT department, Celebrity's web site said my AMEX transaction was denied.  It wasn't.  On the AMEX side I have a pending $501 transaction that went through.

*sigh*

Edited by mk-ultra

50 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I haven't seen any such offer on my AmEx Platinum card.  Maybe I should just quit paying a premium for that and get the freebie green one!

It's on my husband's.

From my AMEX Plat; T&Cs summary: "ELIGIBLE PURCHASES: Offer valid only for qualifying reservations booked directly online at celebrity.com/amex, via the US reservation phone line 1-844-530-3783, through the merchant mobile app, or a Travel Professional between 10/16/2020 and 12/31/2020."

image.thumb.png.75928872681df1aea288056c50658125.png

As a slight perk,  you can score some additional points based on spending alone.  Could use the "Centurion spending trick" here where you buy traveler checks with your current AMEX then pay off your AMEX balance with the checks where you hope to trigger the spending requirement to qualify for the Centurion invitation. 

image.thumb.png.e229759614d741b2005c8a2a3aef2c3d.png

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Lots of "tricks" to offset $550 annual fee but it's not everyone.

1) $200 Uber credit, you simply have to ulitize the uber credit, if you don't, it's difficult to justify keeping this card.

2) $50/6 month Saks credit, assuming you don't shop there, every six months you buy a $50 physical gift card at a physical location.  You can then sell them on gift card resellers, usually in the range of $35-$40 per $50 GC.

3) $200 incidental credit, each airline is different and can have different credit triggers; often the a trigger is paying for airfare with the AMEX Plat for under $100 and paying the rest with another credit card.

4) TEMP $20/mo cell phone and $20/mo steaming service credit, should help offset the airfare credit for those who don't credit

5) Offers, often can save money on AMEX offers; with that being said, perhaps you can receive the same offers on another AMEX with a lower annual fee

6) Bonus 1, there's value to all the perks you receive including AMEX, Delta, priority priority pass, (etc) lounge access.  Status at hilton, bonvoy, Hertz and Uber VIP; should be noted that many hotel chains will match to hilton/bonvoy status yet if they do often it's an one time offer

In summary, the AMEX can certainly pay for itself with minimal effort yet I hold both the CSR and the AMEX Plat.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The green one isn't free...It has been $55/yr since I first got it in 1974.  This year saw the first increase, to $125.  EM

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The green one isn't free...It has been $55/yr since I first got it in 1974.  This year saw the first increase, to $125.  EM

Interesting.  I haven't had the plain old green one for many, many years.  Once upon a time it was free.  I do also have the Hilton one which is free.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Interesting.  I haven't had the plain old green one for many, many years.  Once upon a time it was free.  I do also have the Hilton one which is free.

Amex green annual fee is now $150.  You get $100/year statement credit for clear, 3% on restaurants, travel & transit which includes public transportation, tolls, ferries, etc.  Can work out for some 

18 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

From my AMEX Plat; T&Cs summary: "ELIGIBLE PURCHASES: Offer valid only for qualifying reservations booked directly online at celebrity.com/amex, via the US reservation phone line 1-844-530-3783, through the merchant mobile app, or a Travel Professional between 10/16/2020 and 12/31/2020."

image.thumb.png.75928872681df1aea288056c50658125.png

As a slight perk,  you can score some additional points based on spending alone.  Could use the "Centurion spending trick" here where you buy traveler checks with your current AMEX then pay off your AMEX balance with the checks where you hope to trigger the spending requirement to qualify for the Centurion invitation. 

image.thumb.png.e229759614d741b2005c8a2a3aef2c3d.png

thats alot of travelers checks - the spend is something like 200-300 K for a 12 month period

2 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

thats alot of travelers checks - the spend is something like 200-300 K for a 12 month period

If you’re starting from scratch, yes; however there are some who are able to spend 50%-75% of the spending requirement and can supplement the rest with travelers checks