The Daily for Sunday Oct 18, 2020

richwmn

today is National Meatloaf Appreciation Day, No Beard Day, and World Toy Camera Day

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

--Walt Disney

Meal suggestion for today - Baked Spaghetti

Drink of the Day - Vesper

Wine of the day - Château Gloria St.-Julien vintage 2015

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Oosterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Torquay GB
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

1018World.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks for the update. 
Today is also Seward’s Day in Alaska. October 18,1867 is the day of purchase from Russia. I’d say we got a bargain. 
     I’m having roast beef from a fire company Ox roast yesterday. They sold out in 4 hours.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 13

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I've never had a beard so I guess that fits me.  I'm not a fan of meatloaf and don't think I've ever had a toy camera.  That quote is so true.  Baked spaghetti sounds interesting but I don't think I'll have it.  My alternate menu suggestion is Fruit Palette, Veal Cutlet, and Pineapple Crisp, as served on the Amsterdam October 18, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

StLouisCruisers MIL in pain

California and Colorado Wildfires

Debbie’s nephew and his girlfriend

Family and friends of Denise’s friend who died of cancer October 13

Sharon’s book club member

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

StLouisCruisers successful visit with her mother

Fall colors

Seasick Sailor’s coming birthday

A getaway for Cruising-Along

TiogaCruiser’s new gelato machine’

and Kazu’s sister covid-free

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update. 
Today is also Seward’s Day in Alaska. October 18,1867 is the day of purchase from Russia. I’d say we got a bargain. 
     I’m having roast beef from a fire company Ox roast yesterday. They sold out in 4 hours.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

4 hours.  That's awesome!

Roy

• Like 4

Good morning everyone. Happy Sunday.

Thanks for the Daily.

I like meatloaf, but it's not on today's menu.  My dear husband has had a beard for years, I don't think I'd recognize him if he shaved it off.😉

Love the quote.

Thanks for the meal suggestion.  Looking forward to reading about the wine and the Drink of the Day.  It's wonderful that so many contribute to this thread.

Thanks to rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.

It's breezy and cool here today, with a chance of rain.  The leaves are turning colour and (unfortunately) falling.

Sending prayers to those that need them.  Cheers to everyone with something to celebrate.

Have a great day.  Stay safe.

• Like 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Denise hope you are all doing ok.🌺 Joy, it is another red wine day - sorry! BUT stop the presses! It is also Happy Birthday to Joy, Day!

D6A67BF5-D781-402C-A986-FFAE178330DC.jpeg

I would like to meet the person who declared today is meatloaf appreciation day. 😷
I have never heard of today’s drink, so looking forward to Summer’s post.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

This Bordeaux red blend has great ratings for all released vintages. Prices in The States start at $49.99. This is at the top of my budget, but might be a good celebration wine! Just watch out for the “brambly grip”.

#63 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018 

A deep red - violet color. A jammy nose of red fruits. Notes of licorice and vanilla. On entering the mouth it is silky with an exceptional melting quality. Highly precise tannins with exceptional elegance and length.

WS93 Wine Spectator
Well-steeped plum, fig and boysenberry fruit is richly layered, supported by embedded brambly grip and backed by waves of ganache and sweet tobacco on the finish. Best from 2023 through 2038.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16

Without typing the whole thing, here's a good take on meatloaf:

To the "usual" meatloaf, add carmelized onions, small cubes of cheddar cheese, and BBQ sauce.  Form in small individual loaves, put some BBQ sauce on top of each.  Bake on a foil covered cookie sheet for easy clean up.    It's going to be 40 degrees and raining today, good day for an oven dinner 🙂

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning.  Beautiful sunrise this morning and bright sunshine.  Can't help but feel refreshed with all that sun.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication to our lists.  And to Cat for her wine reviews.

SIL grows a beard in the winter, he is ski patrol in NH.  Never had a toy camera and Meatloaf is one of my favorites.  I think we have a baked spagetti in the freezer.

Vesper:

Ingredients: 1/2 oz Vodka, 1/4 oz Lillet Blonde, 2 oz Gin
Preparation: Shake over ice until well chilled, then strain into a deep goblet and garnish with a thin slice of lemon peel.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Lemon Peel

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask please.  We all want sail-aways again.  Happy Birthday Joy!
Edited by summer slope
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

4 hours.  That's awesome!

Roy

Roy , the dinner started at 11 and we were in the lineup of cars at 10:40, we reached the pickup window at 11:30. 
    Also, one of the other companies in the area held their Turkey dinner as a drive thru for the first time. They started at 1pm and sold out in 2 hours.

• Like 7

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. Ever faithful.

Jeez. Red wine on my birthday. 🙄

Thank you Ann, Roy, and summer. Good morning to you and our special sister Denise. I miss hearing from her.

Yesterday after Farmer's Market we went to lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant, so our dinner tonight is back to chicken, pasta, veggies, cake and wine.

My sister was supposed to zoom call with me wearing our silly shirts. She ordered a bundt cake from Nothing Bundt Cake and we were supposed to celebrate. Well, the times were wrong. She said 6 and I thought that was my time to logon, but she meant 6 her time and we were already celebrating next door at neighbors. So pictures will have to do..

So Ann, I understand you're not a meatloaf lover? Maybe this cartoon is for you🥰

Gack, Musician Jokes!

Everyone have a beautiful day. God's blessings for all on Roy's prayer list and celebrations to all.

• Like 15

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting mix of days but I’m not a meatloaf nor a beard fan 😉 

Love the quote by Walt Disney.  That’s ever so true.  

Sadly, I’ll also pass on the meal suggestion for today.  I like pasta but not spaghetti.  Perhaps I’ll substitute it with a penne tonight 😉 

It’s a cold, crispy morning today but the sun is shining and it will warm up a bit later, thankfully.  The cold is good for the foliage though 😉 

3D6C049E-55F2-413E-85AF-EE852FE5B015.jpeg.b55a15ae5dc615371019914cff8242c1.jpeg

99916E4E-6E51-4BDA-A4C6-BC5EA8B9C1BC.thumb.jpeg.1fb155428bd1349bb38884e80d32bcb7.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list and for those who need them, and a toast to those we are celebrating.

And a big happy birthday to Joy

630320C3-BC56-490F-B480-8FB2C2230EB7.gif.66d97534587db7540cb55817f780fbb0.gif

Have a great Sunday, everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.😷 

• Like 20

Good morning all.  I don’t think we will see the sun for most of the week unfortunately.  Today’s quote is oh so true.  We could definitely celebrate meatloaf day as DH makes an awesome one, but it’s pork tenderloin on the menu today.  I will take a pass on the drink of the day.  Thanks to all who make this thread interesting.  
After I posted here I went to take a look at the other HAL threads and in doing so I noticed how many cruisers took a look at the daily for yesterday - amazing, over 1000.  “We” have a lot of followers!

Edited by gigianne
  • Like 11

Today's sunrise is from a new trip.  In October-November last year I combined sailings of QM2, Crystal Bach, Crystal Serenity and finally Crystal Symphony, but the sunrise is from the train on the way to New York to board QM2.  It was taken from the first significant bridge of the journey (I think the Gunpowder River):

dawn1018.jpg

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So Ann, I understand you're not a meatloaf lover? Maybe this cartoon is for you🥰

Gack, Musician Jokes!

Everyone have a beautiful day. God's blessings for all on Roy's prayer list and celebrations to all.

Joy, I do like meatloaf - occasionally. But I would like to meet the person who decided that it needed its own appreciation day.🤔 Hope you have a wonderful first day of your new year

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Here's my "gaudy" shirt from yesterday.. My sister bought all the girls the same shirts for our zoom party. My sis and nieces live in San Diego.

1017201357.jpg

1017201801.jpg

Sorry about the time snafu. Love the shirt. I think your shirt is more colorful & bright than gaudy.

• Like 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Love meatloaf (both food and music), I try to prevent a beard by plucking the "stray eyebrows", and we just bought a toy camera for our GS for Christmas!  Love the quote for the day - he was a smart guy.

Today will be spent getting ready for the "S" word by heading outside with the nut grabber, picking up all the ornamental crabapples that fall onto our lawn and patio from the neighbour's tree.  I usually get a couple of water pails full before they are finally covered for the season, and it's looking like this year we'll have a bumper crop.

I love baked spaghetti - in fact I told DH we should have that one evening soon.  Tonight though, we'll be having leftover stuffed pepper soup courtesy my step-daughter who brought a big container over for us late last night.  I might make a batch of 2 Hour Buns to go with it, and that'll be a great Sunday evening dinner.  And wine.

Happy Birthday  @Seasick Sailor; wishing you many more happy healthy ones!Pin by Lis Mon on Buon Compleanno Buon onomastico Auguri ❤️ | Happy birthday  ballons, Happy birthday messages, Happy birthday greetings

Prayers for everyone on the list, and even for those who don't think they need them.  Raising our wine glasses in celebration for all on the happier side.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11