Ports you would never get bored with

Windsurfboy

Can I  start the ball rolling with two

Cape town , especially if you are willing to get up early and get out of town. 

1 hire a car, drive out along the N2 , then hit the coast, the drive from Gordon's bay to Pringle bay rated as the best coastal drive in the world. Go to see the penguins in bettys bay no crowds, come back over Frankshoek pass. Do it on day you are staying over night.

New York , spotting the two legged wildlife in central park

• Like 1

Bergen in Norway. Lots to do there - Floibanen Funicular railway up Mt Floyen, Bryggen UNESCO Hanseatic buildings, the tourist land train, the famous fish market, city park, fjords.

The only downside is that Norway is expensive.

Sydney.  Entering the harbour at North and South heads at first light, and mooring at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at sunrise, adjacent to the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, and Circular Quay.  I love my home town of Brisbane, but Sydney is prettier.

• Like 1

Can I have Rome, even though the port of call is actually Civitavecchia? We always find some new aspect of its ancient past to enthral us. 

Madeira - I love going out for beef estepada and Madeiran garlic bread. 

I agree about Bergen too. 

And probably any port on a fjord - I never tire of the breathtaking scenery. 

• Like 1

My first two choices have already been named.

Bergen as No. 1 with no hesitation. Manhattan comes a close second, but I really miss the sail up/down the Hudson.

Speaking of arrivals and departures, I’m surprised how much I’ve enjoyed sailing in or out of the Tyne, the Forth, the Clyde and the Cromarty Firth.

Rotterdam - especially an overnight stay.  I love everything about the buzz of the city and river, especially berthed next to the lit Erasmus Bridge.

and Edinburgh - sorry, I'm biased!   I work on board and with the cruise ships in the port / anchorage.   The team I'm part of have so much enthusiasm for places to visit away from the usual tourist spots.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

My first two choices have already been named.

Bergen as No. 1 with no hesitation. Manhattan comes a close second, but I really miss the sail up/down the Hudson.

Speaking of arrivals and departures, I’m surprised how much I’ve enjoyed sailing in or out of the Tyne, the Forth, the Clyde and the Cromarty Firth.

And the Mersey.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kynance said:

Can I have Rome, even though the port of call is actually Civitavecchia? We always find some new aspect of its ancient past to enthral us. 

Madeira - I love going out for beef estepada and Madeiran garlic bread. 

I agree about Bergen too. 

And probably any port on a fjord - I never tire of the breathtaking scenery. 

For me, one of the factors most important in making a port enjoyable is being able to walk off the ship (or tender) straight into town. On this, although Rome is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Civitavecchia fails dismally.

• Like 2

Lisbon is one l would put in the ‘never get bored with’ category. Easy city to traverse and the sail in is wonderful if you are prepared to rise early and take the benefit of the deserted ship to witness it.

l seek out a Canaries or Mediterranean itinerary which includes Lisbon such is my fondness for the city. A self directed train trip along the coast to Cascais for lunch never disappoints and is a viable alternative to exploring the city.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

For me, one of the factors most important in making a port enjoyable is being able to walk off the ship (or tender) straight into town. 

I agree being able to walk into town in hassled is very important. 

I think of ports in three ways two good.

Places like Funchal  where you can wander into town,  have a nice stroll , a coffee and cake, and just relax.

Places so full of interest in town or places to go nearby,  wether it's culture , scenery or wild life.

Bad

Places where you can never relax properly , listed in the go to once thread.

• Like 2

Korkula. I say this with a little hesitation, as I have only been there once, and it is small. But I found it quite magical. QV was  the last cruise ship of the season to visit, and again, if we had not been the only one, it might have seen crowded. But it was a delightful historical walled own, amid gorgeous scenery, with cafés for a relaxed snack. And a nice sheltered tender ride. The fact a cruise called there might be a deciding factor for me on whether to book it.

We have always looked forward to sailing in Bridgetown in Barbados.

Also sailing into San Juan. We remember the first time we sailed in San Juan port on the QE2 in 1985. You were scared to get off the ship.

Canadian Port Halifax is always welcoming. As well is Boston in Mass on NE Sailings.