The Daily for Monday Nov 2, 2020

richwmn

today is All Souls Day, Deviled Egg Day, and Cookie Monster Day

Don't be humble ... you're not that great.
        -- Golda Meir

Meal suggestion for today - Skillet Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese

Drink of the Day - Sidecar

Wine of the day - Luigi Einaudi Dogliani vintage 2015

at Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Willemstad eta 11/7
Oosterdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 11/7

at Sea English Channel
Nieuw Statendam destination Torquay eta 11/2
Volendam destination Baie De Seine Fr eta 11/1
Westerdam destination Torquay
Zaandam destination Southampton eta 11/4

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination not listed yet

Caracas Bay
Eurodam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

1102Greece.png

1102Caribbean.png

1102Channel.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good Monday morning everyone.  Great combo of days, love deviled eggs and Cookie Monster.

The quote is so spot on for today.  People need to remind themselves of it.

Prayers and congratulations for everyone!!

Sidecar cocktail:

Ingredients: 2 oz Cognac, 3/4 oz Lemon juice, 3/4 oz Triple sec
Preparation: Pour all ingredients into cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.
Served: Straight up (without ice)

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask!!
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Love the more detailed maps.  I'll celebrate All Souls Day and take a pass on the other two.  Love the quote.  Skillet cheesburger mac & cheese sounds interesting.  My alternate menu suggestion is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Penne Primivera, and Viennese Apple Strudel, as served on the Prinsendam, November 2, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

gigianne’s DH nursing a broken tooth

Sharon’s DGD and those in her school

Turkey’s devastating earthquake

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, YXU AC*SE

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Denise doesn’t want to be on the care list, so this community for caring for her

Lindaler’s sister and BIL coming for a visit.

Buying candy we like and not getting trick or treaters

And election workers

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily, love the maps.

Great days.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, so does the Drink of the Day, looking forward to reading about the wine.

Prayers for everyone.  A toast to all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 10

Today's sunrise is the first from yet another cruise.  I was supposed to be on the ship but wasn't.  I was supposed to board the Crystal Symphony October 31 (2012) in New York but Superstorm Sandy got in the way and I watched the sun come up November 2 in Charleston.

newday2.jpg

Roy

• Like 16

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great assortment of days to celebrate; I haven't made deviled eggs in a long time, maybe I'd better add eggs to the grocery list.

We've had a change in our weather and are looking at a possible high today of +16 (60F), so will take the opportunity to put the Christmas lights on the house.  Much better to put them up today than risking life and limb balancing on ladders with frozen fingers in biting winds in a couple of weeks!  Of course, we won't turn them on until December 1st, but it will certainly be nice knowing they're ready to go.

Great menu suggestion - another for the Hamburger Helper boxes - but I also love Roy's suggestion.  I'd like to try the chilled pear, cucumber and melon gazpacho; I wonder if the cucumber wouldn't overpower the pear, though.  It seems the "small" ham I baked yesterday was larger than originally thought, so we'll be having leftovers tonight.  Depending on how ambitious we feel after putting up the Christmas lights, it might just be ham sandwiches with the fresh buns from yesterday.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our glasses to all on the celebration list *clink*.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I really love your maps!  Thank you for the lists Roy! I have moments where I feel guilty about the two of you doing all this work for us. But I really do appreciate it!  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Deeni, hope you had a great night’s sleep last night!🌺 Joy, I love that one of your neighbors came over on Halloween with an empty wine glass!  Sadly, it is another red wine today. Fall has officially arrived here - it was 58 when Bindi & I headed out this morning. Just gorgeous!

What a wild combo of days! Luckily I was between coffee sips, when I read the quote. Thank you Summer! I think this was the favorite drink of one of my Mom’s friend.

Prayers for all who need our support, even if they are NOT on the list!

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This red from Piedmont, Italy has excellent ratings and great prices, starting at $11.99 - but the only vendors I could find that ship to me are European, so no clue what shipping would cost. And this red is aged in steel, then glass! I would love to try this at a wine tasting!

#38 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

A ruby red color, which tends toward violet with a rich fruity bouquet, full bodied with an intense aroma of undergrowth and a pleasantly tannic taste, with a slight final almond note, typical of this wine. Eight months of maturation in steel tanks and two months in glass complete the refinement. Of a dry and moderately acidic taste, after a year of ageing, it has a good body and full taste. 

WS92

Wine Spectator:   A beam of bracing acidity at the core of this intense, saturated red helps delineate the blackberry, boysenberry, blueberry and graphite flavors. This has grip and complexity, but just needs a little time. Best from 2018 through 2024.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 14

Good morning Rich. Thanks for our Daily. This quote is one of the best! And do you actually make the Hamburger Helper? 

Yesterday was beautiful. We sat outside in our rockers and enjoyed our birds singing and 1 last strangler hummingbird.

The next few days are supposed to be lovely, so we will take advantage of them. Maybe a picnic and bottle of prosecco.

Amazon.com: DominicaVwesk Soup of The Day Prosecco Novelty Wooden Hanging  Plaque Alcohol Joke Gift Sign: Home & Kitchen

Thank you Ann, Summer and Roy for your contributions today. I never tried a sidecar but sounds interesting.

My dear sister Denise, hope you haven't suffered too much last night. How are you feeling this morning? I love you sister, and Ann of course.🥰

So today I have a blinds guy coming. The current blinds (white wood with the stick that swivels) were already installed when we bought the house. Driving me crazy. Six windows for sure, and possibly ten depending on the price. 

Please pray for our nation this week. Be careful at the polls. Wear your mask. Hunker down. I'm worried about the crazy unrest our election may cause. God bless ya'll and have a great day.

image.jpeg.d4526f6ee3583dd20270f1620d63357b.jpeg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Misspell
  • Like 15

9 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

And do you actually make the Hamburger Helper? 

Yes, and a friend that owned a Old Fashioned Hamburger joint has been joining me and has wanted to try different varieties.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We sat outside in our rockers and enjoyed our birds singing and 1 last strangler hummingbird.

Please pray for our nation this week. Be careful at the polls. Wear your mask. Hunker down. I'm worried about the crazy unrest our election may cause. God bless ya'll and have a great day.

How does one recognize a strangler hummingbird? You two be careful!😷 Love your picnic idea!

I also ask that everyone think good thoughts for the USA this week.  We need all the help we can get.

• Like 11

Thanks, Prayers and Cheers everyone.  It's a chilly and very blustery day in the Philly area today with high only around 40 and real feel in the 30's.  A taste of winter.  At least it's mostly sunny.   

Be Safe and take extra care out and about this week.

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

How does one recognize a strangler hummingbird? You two be careful!😷 Love your picnic idea!

I also ask that everyone think good thoughts for the USA this week.  We need all the help we can get.

Because she has been with us all summer. She buzzes up to my face when I change the feeder and waits til I hook up the feeder. I of course am assuming it's her..

• Like 7

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great combination of days.  Absolutely love devilled eggs and was always a fan of the Cookie Monster.

That quote is so good.  I absolutely  love it.

I think I will pass on the meal suggestion today and the wine is red, so we’ll have our Australian white tonight 😉 

It’s warmer and raining here today but we will be back below freezing by tomorrow:

E9CB03AF-7989-4666-906E-5B516BAA9C87.jpeg.b9ce0c120588856e7a1e3502d77ee58b.jpeg

Did you hear about the coin shortage?

98EA34A5-5A8E-4F66-9CF0-436D94184AF8.jpeg.ed5ccb08a52029faf9dd90acd9e5cbd1.jpeg

Prayers to those on Roy’s Care list and for all those who need them & a toast to everyone on the Celebratory list.

Have a great Monday everyone.  Stay safe & don’t forget your  masks.😷 

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Huh. I am going to the market today and checking them out. Thanks!

Your question made me think. I know I had various HH meals growing up, and probably in the '80's but not since until last week. I have been working on a project with the friend I mentioned, and often that includes fixing a lunch. In discussion about a week ago I mentioned I had seen HH on the shelf at the dollar store (actually $1.50) and he said he had never had one so that prompted fixing one. He liked it and wanted to try others.

It is really just a package containing pasta and a packet of seasoning. Adding hamburger (or tuna or chicken) and usually water and milk. It is not gourmet, but it is tasty and easy to fix.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Your question made me think. I know I had various HH meals growing up, and probably in the '80's but not since until last week. I have been working on a project with the friend I mentioned, and often that includes fixing a lunch. In discussion about a week ago I mentioned I had seen HH on the shelf at the dollar store (actually $1.50) and he said he had never had one so that prompted fixing one. He liked it and wanted to try others.

It is really just a package containing pasta and a packet of seasoning. Adding hamburger (or tuna or chicken) and usually water and milk. It is not gourmet, but it is tasty and easy to fix.

With the pasta and seasoning, you could sure make it gourmet by adding veggies and your favorite protein. Honestly I have seen it on the shelf but have never even tried the Kraft mac and cheese in a box. I'll give it a try and report back.

• Like 8

All Souls Day today brings to mind the church I went to growing up, and the one I got married in 51 years ago, All Souls Catholic Church.  I never knew Nov. 2 was All Souls Day!  The deviled eggs and Cookie Monster days are a good addition to our lives, too.

I may be one of the very few who has never eaten hamburger helper meals.  But the Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper sure looked good!  I wonder if DH would be interested?

We went to the grocery store early this morning and unfortunately they are moving everything in the store to a new aisle/area, so it takes twice as long and is so very frustrating!  Why???  This is about the third time they've done this in the last 8 years or so since it was opened.  I know you all have experienced this at one time or another.  They just can't leave it alone, even though it was running smoothly before.

If you haven't voted yet fellow Americans, be sure you do, wear your mask, plus take your patience.  The lines look longer this year for two reasons; one is we have to social distance so that spreads the line out longer, and so many have voted early (like us).  Record breaking numbers.  Stay safe!

• Like 11

We had some eggs that were getting a bit long in the tooth so we hard cooked (steamed for 15 minutes as opposed to boiling) them yesterday so maybe we'll turn them into deviled eggs today.

It looks like we are going to have several days with temperatures in the 60s this week so I hope I can get the grill wrestled out of our storage locker and set up at the new house. I think it has been a year since I was able to grill anything! 

Halloween Sunset, 2020 -

image.thumb.png.161b9b9b7d4b05e08924ea7406ff1182.png

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We went to the grocery store early this morning and unfortunately they are moving everything in the store to a new aisle/area, so it takes twice as long and is so very frustrating!  Why???  This is about the third time they've done this in the last 8 years or so since it was opened.  I know you all have experienced this at one time or another.  They just can't leave it alone, even though it was running smoothly before.

The theory is that if they switch items around, you have to actually look at the merchandise, rather than go automatically to the same places for the same items. They hope you'll pick up more items this way. Sneaky!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, NextOne said:

The theory is that if they switch items around, you have to actually look at the merchandise, rather than go automatically to the same places for the same items. They hope you'll pick up more items this way. Sneaky!

LOL!  Or perhaps I might forget more items...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1