Cruises suspended through December, 2020

EllieinNJ

With the CDC framework release, the fate of December cruises seemed a foregone conclusion.  There was something about a 28-day waiting period to re-enter US waters, for those ships that sailed East.  Then there is the hiring, quarantining, COVID testing and training of the crew.  Then the test cruises, which could last a month.  January is a possibility, but I wouldn't put money on early January sailings happening.

• Like 2

Royal made a statement that said the CDC new requirements would add weeks or months to any return of passengers.  I expect we may now see no cruises by any of the majors until mid-to-late spring, 2021.

"Please bear with us as we review and modify all of our ship deployments and planned itineraries in order meet the terms and conditions of the CDC Framework for Conditional Sailing dated Oct. 30, 2020. We will then need to decide which ships we can sail at any given time and prepare and submit the necessary application materials for each ship selected to the CDC for their approval. This will be a process that will take weeks, if not months, to accomplish for our fleet across our brands." 

9 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Royal made a statement that said the CDC new requirements would add weeks or months to any return of passengers.  I expect we may now see no cruises by any of the majors until mid-to-late spring, 2021.

"Please bear with us as we review and modify all of our ship deployments and planned itineraries in order meet the terms and conditions of the CDC Framework for Conditional Sailing dated Oct. 30, 2020. We will then need to decide which ships we can sail at any given time and prepare and submit the necessary application materials for each ship selected to the CDC for their approval. This will be a process that will take weeks, if not months, to accomplish for our fleet across our brands." 

Mid to late spring...2021

What I've been predicting for months.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Do you have a source for this quote? I put it into google and duckduckgo and can not find a match.

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Do you have a source for this quote? I put it into google and duckduckgo and can not find a match.

edit: sorry, it did NOT have that quote in it...

Edited by hallux
  • Thanks 1

@GA Dave thank you.

Post #354 is what RCL released on their website. The webside has omitted the last sentence of your quote.

Post #356 implies some insider information (referring to an missing final paragraph in the draft) and adds the sentence  "This will be a process that will take weeks, if not months, to accomplish for our fleet across our brands." 

If RCL has actually gone public staying it's possibly going to be months, I expect a wild ride on the NYSE.

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

Is it possible they were stating that it would take months to get the entire fleet back out? I don't see why they would even mention weeks if there was the possibility that not even 1 ship being able to get its COVID certification in that timeframe.

36 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Post #356 implies some insider information (referring to an missing final paragraph in the draft) and adds the sentence  "This will be a process that will take weeks, if not months, to accomplish for our fleet across our brands." 

I sear I saw this statement someplace earlier when I made my edited post.  I did not read it in that thread though.

12 minutes ago, hbboers said:

The CDC is upset that they could not extend their NO

SAIL order and have put in place 40 pages of requirements that cannot be done.

Did you read it?  Half of the document is "why are we doing this" and definitions.  The actual requirements are only about 20 pages.  So far, from what I've heard, it seems that the goal can be accomplished.

53 minutes ago, hallux said:

I sear I saw this statement someplace earlier when I made my edited post.  I did not read it in that thread though

Did you read it?  Half of the document is "why are we doing this" and definitions.  The actual requirements are only about 20 pages.  So far, from what I've heard, it seems that the goal can be accomplished.

What I read is this article on Cruise Radio

https://cruiseradio.net/explained-the-cdcs-conditional-sailing-order-for-cruise-ships/

This is where I read about no cruises longer than 7 days.  It also says all the conditions are subject to change.

So, the 28-day waiting period I mentioned is actually a CDC reporting requirement for entering US waters or ports.  The ships need to have a rolling 28 days of EDC reports regarding virus activity on board on record with the CDC before entering US waters.  That means that the ships can't enter US ports until at least November 27, at which point they would be able to start crewing and provisioning for the test cruises.

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

@hbboers I was specifically commenting on your words "requirements that cannot be done".  What in there do you believe can't be done?

Let me reword what I should have said. "requirements  that will be hard and costly to be done "

While most likely necessary given the current state of the virus and the border closures around the world it is disheartening. I am beginning to feel like we are being made offers to buy into future cruises in much the same way we make cats chase those red laser lights. Will always go after them but never catch them. Can't completely blame the cruise lines as they are damned if the do and damned if they don't. They are sailing through uncharted "waters" - excuse the pun - with no helpful guidance and they need to start up sometime or else face the risk of completely being bankrupt. But still the stubbornness of the virus - or is it just the people carrying it - seems to have dragged this to the point where a month here and a month there no longer works.

I remain hopefully over my 2022 cruise that I broke down and booked this past summer. Having had no cruise vacation in two years is starting to get to me and now I have to wait another two years. Got unused flight vouchers for Europe that I want to use but can't given the current state of affairs. Hate to see us all throw money down the tubes.

Sadly can't even go home to visit family at Christmas and with my father having cancer, I may not have the chance to see him alive again. 2020 will go down as a horrid year. I guess its good having the "do gooders" still try to keep us going with thoughts of being lucky to have a job, food on the table and a place to sleep every night and be thankful for no wars. I feel like this is all the twilight zone. 

If my 2022  cruise goes ahead I will enjoy it completely! Well, at least for the first day - 🙂 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...