CDC requested to issue a new No Sail Order

HaveWeMetYet

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The request came from the democratic congresspersons from California and Connecticut (as stated in the article).  They will now have the backing of the new President and his COVID task force (who have already recommended putting the entire country in lockdown for 4-6 weeks after the inauguration). This will shutdown the cruise industry and drive companies into bankruptcy. 

Sell your stock now, avoid the January rush.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Gounder told CNBC that state officials should focus on implementing tighter restrictions on places where there’s a high risk for the virus to spread instead.

Maybe I'm reading this part wrong, but this worries me as their possible views regarding cruises. 

49 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Maybe I'm reading this part wrong, but this worries me as their possible views regarding cruises. 

You're reading it wrong because the sentence says "state officials should focus..." . State officials don't have jurisdiction over the operation of cruise ships...it's the federal government's  jurisdiction.

Edited by njhorseman

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

100% false and based on a fake quote that has circulated on social media.

In fact Biden's COVID-19 task force has stated it does not want to impose a lockdown::

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/13/biden-advisor-dr-gounder-says-covid-advisory-panel-doesnt-support-full-us-lockdown.html

President-elect Joe Biden’s Covid advisors nix idea of U.S. lockdown to curb pandemic

Implementing a widespread lockdown on businesses is “not the opinion” of the panel of infectious disease experts advising President-elect Joe Biden, said Dr. Celine Gounder, who sits on the panel.

Gounder told CNBC that state officials should focus on implementing tighter restrictions on places where there’s a high risk for the virus to spread instead.

“I think of this as a dimmer switch, not an on-and-off light switch,” she told CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”

Yes, they started to back peddle less than 24 hours after making their recommendation of a 6 week nationwide lockdown. Borrow money at low interest rates to fund another COVID bailout.  But the lockdown is exactly what they briefed.... until they found out that they should have waited until they were in office. 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/11/biden-covid-advisor-says-us-lockdown-of-4-to-6-weeks-could-control-pandemic-and-revive-economy.html

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes, they started to back peddle less than 24 hours after making their recommendation of a 6 week nationwide lockdown. Borrow money at low interest rates to fund another COVID bailout.  But the lockdown is exactly what they briefed.... until they found out that they should have waited until they were in office. 

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/11/biden-covid-advisor-says-us-lockdown-of-4-to-6-weeks-could-control-pandemic-and-revive-economy.html

Looks more like this one member of the task force was expressing his personal opinion, not that of the group or incoming administration.

But whatever it was public figures say things they shouldn't have every day of the week. Statements and pronouncements are walked back all the time.

• Like 1

I love cruising but don't see myself at a cruise nor concert nor baseball game until 2022 or 2023.  I don't think the CDC is trying to hurt us. I don't see how lockdowns help as they mentally and financially hurt people. The most ridiculous thing I read was a bank that received a bailout recommending a work from home tax- umm it's not as if anyone asked for this. Something like that wouldn't help cruising as it would take peoples income.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with the lockdown is the country did a disjointed half ass version that accomplished nothing (it may have given a breather to hospitals) but had all the social and economic pain.  IMHO if we did a genuine 3-4 week lockdown where if you are caught outside you are vaporized (kidding 😳) when we emerged the virus would have died.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

The problem with the lockdown is the country did a disjointed half ass version that accomplished nothing (it may have given a breather to hospitals) but had all the social and economic pain.  IMHO if we did a genuine 3-4 week lockdown where if you are caught outside you are vaporized (kidding 😳) when we emerged the virus would have died.

I remember we used to hear the term early on "flatten the curve" and I haven't heard that in months.

I read where the country had warnings November, 2019 about this and did nothing then. 

• Like 1

I’m 10 days into a lockdown, we are forecasted to be released 02/12 to trade from the the 3rd, it’s no so quite as the last one, schools and colleges are open, and you can travel to your place of work, medical and shopping, non essential journeys are forbidden 🚫 but the takeaway tonight will have a queue a mile long! So much for lockdown 😳

1 minute ago, Trimone said:

I’m 10 days into a lockdown, we are forecasted to be released 02/12 to trade from the the 3rd, it’s no so quite as the last one, schools and colleges are open, and you can travel to your place of work, medical and shopping, non essential journeys are forbidden 🚫 but the takeaway tonight will have a queue a mile long! So much for lockdown 😳

Sounds kind of half assed.  I guess it might help slow the spread but if you are doing a lock down, do a real one and maybe there is no virus when it’s over.  Look at New Zealand 🇳🇿.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You're reading it wrong because the sentence says "state officials should focus..." . State officials don't have jurisdiction over the operation of cruise ships...it's the federal government's  jurisdiction.

But... there too many agencies with jurisdiction.  There is a congressional oversight committee, the FTC, the Coast Guard and the CDC at the Federal level.  At the state and local level there are Port Authorities that have the right to close ports.  And as I recall, when ships wanted to come back to US ports in the Spring, it was State officials that were preventing them from docking to stop their cities from ingesting infected people.

1 minute ago, PelicanBill said:

But... there too many agencies with jurisdiction.  There is a congressional oversight committee, the FTC, the Coast Guard and the CDC at the Federal level.  At the state and local level there are Port Authorities that have the right to close ports.  And as I recall, when ships wanted to come back to US ports in the Spring, it was State officials that were preventing them from docking to stop their cities from ingesting infected people.

You have to put this back into the context of where the quote came from. To put it in simple terms Biden's advisory panel says "no nationwide lockdown, states should do what they feel they need to locally." It is a general position statement that has nothing to do with cruising per se. There is already a federal order in place barring cruising until certain conditions are met, so why would the states have to bar cruising when for all intents and purposes the federal government already has?

From a practical point of view if the CDC gives the go-ahead for some minimal cruise resumption a couple of months from now, where do you think the first cruises are going to depart from? Florida, a state that has been crying out for cruises to resume. Florida's two US Senators have already lambasted the CDC for its actions. Do you think Florida is going to say no to cruising? 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

You have to put this back into the context of where the quote came from. To put it in simple terms Biden's advisory panel says "no nationwide lockdown, states should do what they feel they need to locally." It is a general position statement that has nothing to do with cruising per se. There is already a federal order in place barring cruising until certain conditions are met, so why would the states have to bar cruising when for all intents and purposes the federal government already has?

From a practical point of view if the CDC gives the go-ahead for some minimal cruise resumption a couple of months from now, where do you think the first cruises are going to depart from? Florida, a state that has been crying out for cruises to resume. Florida's two US Senators have already lambasted the CDC for its actions. Do you think Florida is going to say no to cruising? 

Then they damn well better be prepared to let ships dock if cases on ships happen. Wasn't that an issue last time , Fla not letting ships dock?

Hey let's let ships sail from our ports however we can't help you dock with cases. True political/politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Then they damn well better be prepared to let ships dock if cases on ships happen. Wasn't that an issue last time , Fla not letting ships dock?

Hey let's let ships sail from our ports however we can't help you dock with cases. True political/politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths.

Under the Conditional Sail Order cruise lines are required to enter into agreements for medical care, evacuation and housing of COVID-19 cases and their close contacts  with port and local health authorities everywhere the ship intends to dock or make port.  So if a ship is allowed to sail from  a port that port is going to be required to allow them to return and dock.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Under the Conditional Sail Order cruise lines are required to enter into agreements for medical care, evacuation and housing of COVID-19 cases and their close contacts  with port and local health authorities everywhere the ship intends to dock or make port.  So if a ship is allowed to sail from  a port that port is going to be required to allow them to return and dock.

As it should be , as I've said before the cruise lines need to have all their ducks in a row, the i's dotted and the t's crossed. Not only with the CDC but with Port Authorities and the local government agencies including the state governor. 

If i remember correctly Fla. governor was one of the last ones to slow/shut things down in that state.

21 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Looks more like this one member of the task force was expressing his personal opinion, not that of the group or incoming administration. But whatever it was public figures say things they shouldn't have every day of the week. Statements and pronouncements are walked back all the time.

It is 100% the position of the COVID task force. But with the backlash, they figured that they needed to wait until inauguration day to make it the national position. And, began to back pedal the next day. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is 100% the position of the COVID task force. But with the backlash, they figured that they needed to wait until inauguration day to make it the national position. And, began to back pedal the next day. 

In your opinion. I'm reasonably sure you haven't been invited to their meetings. 

Of course if COVID  cases continue to grow at the current rate with the federal government continuing to sit on its rear end doing absolutely nothing about it you'll be proven right. They'll have no other option.

57 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

In your opinion. I'm reasonably sure you haven't been invited to their meetings. 

Of course if COVID  cases continue to grow at the current rate with the federal government continuing to sit on its rear end doing absolutely nothing about it you'll be proven right. They'll have no other option.

Not an opinion, that's what they briefed. Not a fake new posting, that's what they briefed. The news source was CNBC that covered the briefing. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, beerman2 said:

As it should be , as I've said before the cruise lines need to have all their ducks in a row, the i's dotted and the t's crossed. Not only with the CDC but with Port Authorities and the local government agencies including the state governor. 

If i remember correctly Fla. governor was one of the last ones to slow/shut things down in that state.

You remember correctly, and our shutdown was quite a joke. There were so many exceptions, it didn't really matter that much. And we are the first to pretty much go "back to normal". And no, things are not okay in Florida.

No worries though, DeSantis wants cruising to start again. Not because he thinks it's safe, but because he wants the dollars in the state. He wants the tourist dollars, and he wants port workers back to work.

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not an opinion, that's what they briefed. Not a fake new posting, that's what they briefed. The news source was CNBC that covered the briefing. 

It's what one person said, not what "they briefed" . The reference to a fake news posting was because there has been a misquote of Biden's position on the matter that has been circulating on social media for months. Since you provided no citation of the source for your first post I assumed that is what you were referring to.