Don't give NCL anymore money than you have to.

truwoman

2 hours ago, kfkolonel said:

I'm not sure I want a future credit with NCL, because I have little interest in cruising with them again.  We will someday use that credit, I suppose, but it will be our last NCL cruise.  This is a shoddy way to treat customers.  Yes, they are in business to make money, but you make money by treating customers right rather than pointing them to the fine print in their contracts.

By you cancelling the cruise, you accepted the FCC. There was no fine print. It was in big, bold print on their website. Everyone had a choice. You had a choice and you made a choice. And based on your choice, you now have FCC to spend on a future cruise. Enjoy!

• Like 2

As the Gambler once said:

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,

Know when to walk away, know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table,

There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Secret to survivin' is knowing what to throw away, and knowing what to keep
the best you can hope for is to die in your sleep...

16 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

Steve

IIRC you still have cruises booked with NCL.

Our Latitude points disappeared eventually (we were on that March Spirit cruise with you from Cape Town), however we do not have any future bookings with NCL and we took the cash refund. Maybe that makes a difference?

HI Steve,

I have 8 booked with NCL and I hope I keep the extra points. I will be half way to Ambassador status and that free cruise. 

I have Africa booked again for November 2021. I hope it sails.

Steve

On 11/27/2020 at 4:49 PM, kfkolonel said:

I'm not sure I want a future credit with NCL, because I have little interest in cruising with them again.  We will someday use that credit, I suppose, but it will be our last NCL cruise.  This is a shoddy way to treat customers.  Yes, they are in business to make money, but you make money by treating customers right rather than pointing them to the fine print in their contracts.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:08 PM, BirdTravels said:

By you cancelling the cruise, you accepted the FCC. There was no fine print. It was in big, bold print on their website. Everyone had a choice. You had a choice and you made a choice. And based on your choice, you now have FCC to spend on a future cruise. Enjoy!

What kfkolnel is referring to was not "in big, bold print ", at least not in  the months leading up to the April cruises being cancelled.

Cruising as an industry has been damaged.  If they want to get people back, adding a year or two onto their CN certificates would be a good way to, at the very least, have people consider coming back on NCL.  

I've got some CNs that are probably going to expire before we would even consider a cruise again.  Add a couple years onto the expiration and they might then be in the window where we are confident in cruising and we'd probably cruise NCL to use the CNs.  If they are expired, NCL has lost their advantage getting me back.

• Like 1

We used our last cruise next certificates up on a September 2021 cruise just days before expiry, we even had a email warning us about expiring.

We are not bothered using NCL after then, our NCL agent is talking of retirement, same with us, we will just grab any last minute offers with any cruise line agency in the future, it doesn’t pay to be loyal.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/20/2020 at 9:10 PM, BirdTravels said:

The operative word is that “you” cancelled without thought of the consequences. 

However, the next day, they cancelled the cruise (the day after final payment was due)  I just didn't want to pay in full on a cruise that I was correctly pretty sure that it wasn't going to sail.  HOWEVER,  now I have rec'd all the credit I had and have used it toward two future cruises.

On 11/29/2020 at 7:37 AM, Trimone said:

We used our last cruise next certificates up on a September 2021 cruise just days before expiry, we even had a email warning us about expiring.

We are not bothered using NCL after then, our NCL agent is talking of retirement, same with us, we will just grab any last minute offers with any cruise line agency in the future, it doesn’t pay to be loyal.

I agree.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:38 PM, truwoman said:

I have sailed as many as 4 times in one year on NCL.  I sail out of NYC as it is nearest my home.  On a cruise in 2015, my daughter bought 2 Sail Ahead Certificates.  We had to book within 4 years, according to them.  We did, and our cruise is for 1-3-21.  I am sure that they will not be sailing. I cancelled on the date that final payment was due, because if I had paid in full for the cruise, I couldn't get my money back;  it would be kept as a future cruise credit. Yes, I checked and made sure that is the policy.  I cancelled, thinking that the certificates already used toward this sailing  would be applied to Future Cruise Credits under the new "Peace of Mind" policy.  NO, we get NOTHING..because the certificates are now expired.  As you know this is not our fault.   This wasn't even the first cruise this year that we were booked on that was cancelled.  We were supposed to sail last April.  We actually did go in February.   This is how they treat their Latitudes Platinum members.  I would have been Platinum Plus by now if now for the cancellations.

We had a cruise canceled at the beginning of the pandemic, would've made me almost Platinum plus, my wife Platinum. So a year later I called and saw they took my points. Well I asked for them back, and was granted. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, HowardK said:

I purchased one once and never again because I didn't like having to call them to do the booking.

I'll need to call them to put by world points back on my card-  I think its another example of something they could have automated.

I missed platinum plus on my sailing this year as well- I'm a little bitter anyway.

I also wouldn't give them any more money right now period even for a deposit as what if something happens anyway-

I book through my agent and still can apply my cruise next

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

We had a cruise canceled at the beginning of the pandemic, would've made me almost Platinum plus, my wife Platinum. So a year later I called and saw they took my points. Well I asked for them back, and was granted. 

You got your points back when ncl cancelled the cruise?

3 minutes ago, Hadacareer said:

I book through my agent and still can apply my cruise next

I believe what the previous poster is saying is that if they book direct with NCL then they need to call rather than being able to do it online.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hadacareer said:

You got your points back when ncl cancelled the cruise?

I actually had them give me the 7 points even though the cruise was cancelled as it is a win-win; if I book another cruise they get my revenue and I get the perks. If I don't book the cruise don't get the perks. 

Separate- I called them to get my worldpoints discount back that I in turn used for some more Amazon things 

35 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Yes, if we would've booked a week earlier than we did, the cruise would've cruised. 

Ncl is telling me no. I had booked a b2b on the spirit for oct/nov, they are cancelled and not going until end feb now..I rebooked on the getaway transatlantic using the 10% off but not giving me the points for the cancelled cruise

1 minute ago, Hadacareer said:

Ncl is telling me no. I had booked a b2b on the spirit for oct/nov, they are cancelled and not going until end feb now..I rebooked on the getaway transatlantic using the 10% off but not giving me the points for the cancelled cruise

My cruise was at the start of the pandemic. The cruise a week before us sailed. So it only works in certain situations. 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:15 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

If you did not cancel you would have gotten the points. What many did not realize is that when they started cancelling cruises, you can get a refund or fcc, but .....you still got points for not sailing. 

Steve

I have had 5 sailings canceled by NCL and received no points for any of them. Initially, the points for my first two sailings (3/15/20 and 3/22/20) did show up on my account, but they were eventually removed.

• Like 1

this has been discussed many times before. you get the points shortly after the cruise. regardless, you are not entitled to them if you dont sail. if they gave you the points, you lucked out.

in the alternative, any point you may have already received  for past sailings are in your account and should not be taken away.

ive previously compared this to if a bank accidentally puts money in your account that isnt yours, you dont get to keep it due to their mistake, they merely take it back out

• Like 1

Has nothing to do with a bank putting money in your account. That happened to me one time and I immediately had them remove it as I did not ask for it to be put there.

However, I asked for the points out of courtesy for being a long time customer and was granted them. The points have no cash value until I pay NCL for my next cruise. If anything the points are of more value to NCL as it gives me an incentive to pay them for a subsequent cruise. 

The points are a courtesy thing, they can be awarded at the discretion of whoever is high up enough in the management chain to make that decision.  There are reports of passengers who organized meet&greets getting awarded double points.  Doesn't happen every time, but it's nice when it does.  

so yeah, HowardK got lucky & he is appreciative of it.  Well done.  

• Like 1

Not to be a pill about it, but the title should say "any more" (two words) not "anymore."

Anymore written as one word means "no longer," as in "I don't go to that restaurant anymore," i.e. I no longer go there.

Any more = nothing in excess of. As in "don't pay (any) more than $5 for that soft drink."

I know CC isn't a formal English setting, but it's confusing.

And please don't flame me, I'm not trying to be mean, just helpful. 😊

46 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

Oh my goodness, let me comply with your demand right away.  I will do whatever some rando on the Internet says to do…  oh wait, I can think for myself. 

It was their suggestion in November, someone just dug up the thread to make some new comment on it...

On 11/29/2020 at 6:38 AM, PATRLR said:

What kfkolnel is referring to was not "in big, bold print ", at least not in  the months leading up to the April cruises being cancelled.

Cruising as an industry has been damaged.  If they want to get people back, adding a year or two onto their CN certificates would be a good way to, at the very least, have people consider coming back on NCL.  

I've got some CNs that are probably going to expire before we would even consider a cruise again.  Add a couple years onto the expiration and they might then be in the window where we are confident in cruising and we'd probably cruise NCL to use the CNs.  If they are expired, NCL has lost their advantage getting me back.

We have 6 cruise certificates that will expire within the year which would have been used if not for this. I hope the certificates will be extended but if not c'est la vie. We will not give NCL any extra money for the time being. 🙂.