New vaccine

hollyjess

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Is this because being in tier 3 you are having the intensive testing? 

Dave or some of the other locals on here may know better, but as far as I'm aware there hasn't been much intensive testing yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Take care too.

Thank you.

We are very careful, as careful as we can be anyway. Husband and son are working from home, the only people not living with us that we are seeing are our daughter, son in law and baby, we can form a support bubble because baby's under a year old. We do click and collect food shopping, wipe it all down, quarentine post for a few days etc. The weakest link is our youngest daughter, who lives at home, works in a little shop in a busy shopping mall. She wears masks, changes her clothes as soon as she comes home and her hands are red raw from scrubbing them.

Hopefully the tide will turn soon.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Is this because being in tier 3 you are having the intensive testing? 

We were put into tier 3 for very tenuous reasons as our infection rate was falling sharply and was pretty good even by the time the tiers came into effect. They have continued to plummet and we are now well below the national average - yet still in tier 3 as any changes don’t come into place until 19th. If we aren’t dropped to tier 2 at the next review I shall be voting Monster Raving Loony Party at the next general election. 

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We were put into tier 3 for very tenuous reasons as our infection rate was falling sharply and was pretty good even by the time the tiers came into effect. They have continued to plummet and we are now well below the national average - yet still in tier 3 as any changes don’t come into place until 19th. If we aren’t dropped to tier 2 at the next review I shall be voting Monster Raving Loony Party at the next general election. 

Cases have stopped falling , we'll  all be back where we started soon. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you.

We are very careful, as careful as we can be anyway. Husband and son are working from home, the only people not living with us that we are seeing are our daughter, son in law and baby, we can form a support bubble because baby's under a year old. We do click and collect food shopping, wipe it all down, quarentine post for a few days etc. The weakest link is our youngest daughter, who lives at home, works in a little shop in a busy shopping mall. She wears masks, changes her clothes as soon as she comes home and her hands are red raw from scrubbing them.

Hopefully the tide will turn soon.

You and your family are certainly doing everything  you can to stay safe.

Best wishes.

Graham. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Cases have stopped falling , we'll  all be back where we started soon. 

Not where we are. They have fallen sharply every week and, as I say, we are now well below the national average - but still tier 3 🙄. Don’t doubt that they will go up as a result of Christmas though and that the scientists will be calling for another lockdown by the end of Jan. That will be a difficult call for the government, as I sense that the public mood has changed and further lockdowns next year, or even tier strengthening, will be extremely unpopular. Even though no one has been vaccinated yet and the numbers that are likely to be vaccinated by the end of the year will, I predict, be much lower than currently speculated (and those who have will have only had the first dose, so not fully protected), many people seem to think that it’s now ‘sorted’!

• Like 1

Just when I thought that the vaccine roll out couldn’t get any more complicated, our local BBC TV News has just said that they can only be administered by a doctor or a nurse practitioner (not even a regular nurse) and those receiving the vaccine have to hang around to be monitored for any after effects. Hope all of that is just temporary for the first few days but they didn’t imply that. 

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Well they are where I live in the worst area of England 😠😠😠😠😠

Having worked in Kent for about 20 years, I know a few poeple and have relatives living in the county, so I hope all you folks stay safe. I very much hope things improve and quickly. To help out, We will be delaying our winter break to Leysdown.

ps. Spellcheck wanted to change Leysdown to let down. That's a bit spooky 

Stay safe all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Just when I thought that the vaccine roll out couldn’t get any more complicated, our local BBC TV News has just said that they can only be administered by a doctor or a nurse practitioner (not even a regular nurse) and those receiving the vaccine have to hang around to be monitored for any after effects. Hope all of that is just temporary for the first few days but they didn’t imply that. 

You can't really blame them for being careful initially. It will be bad enough when people start ringing the Sun up saying the Covid jab made them grow an extra eye and should be compensated😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Or in P&O world you came first in the quiz and win a bottle of P&O wine, second place wins 2 bottles 🤢

Do you remember the free champagne they had 🥴😱☢️

They published the list of the designated vaccination hubs. In the Kent area we have the East Kent trust but the other two, Dartford & Gravesham plus Medway NHS foundation trust are no longer on the list, surprising as Medway is the worst infection rate in England and apparently they store the vaccine in Chatham

edit - the latest figures are just released the infection rate per 100,000 is now 727 in my area 😱

I can only find 3 yorkshire hospitals on the list, and that includes co-opting Hull back into yorkshire. With 10% of the population of England why dont we have 10% of the vaccine outlets?

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Let’s hope that’s incorrect or very temporary indeed, given that most practices have only 1 or maybe 2 nurse practitioners at most, and most doctors rarely do vaccinations.

That would make a mass vaccination programme impossible.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I can only find 3 yorkshire hospitals on the list, and that includes co-opting Hull back into yorkshire. With 10% of the population of England why dont we have 10% of the vaccine outlets?

Maybe we will still get 10% of the vaccine just administered from fewer hubs. It seems it may be easier to have more people traveling to fewer hubs than trying to move smaller quantities to more hubs? I am sure vaccinating people in care homes will be difficult enough. I would assume once more vaccine becomes available and supply chains are established that it will be dispensed more widely. The good news is it is happening.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Even after the flu vaccine they monitor you for 5 mins in case of immediate severe reaction. This is what they mean here. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Hardly surprising when you consider they are administering a compound being kept at minus 70. I can only imagine how cold it will feel when it gets injected into your arm.

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Hardly surprising when you consider they are administering a compound being kept at minus 70. I can only imagine how cold it will feel when it gets injected into your arm.

Not sure whether you are joking here?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Well as there are less than 70 million people in the UK I very much doubt if 60 million are over 70!

OK the joke is on me - that is what happens when you do not touch the dot on the keyboard properly, then go off without checking the post which was meant to say about 6.0 million.  More than anything I was wondering about the reliability of what you posted as seems to come from a German company - not that I am totally distrusting, just wondered what you knew about the company.

I knew the figure we had arrived at was about 6.0 million, but I have now found the link we used and it adds up to 6.548912 million over 70, which is of interest to us as we are just in the over 70 grouping.  However, looking at the link again, the data seems to be from the 2011 census and it does say elsewhere that the elderly population are rising, so not that up to date, though published much more recently.

The link is below and is about ethnicity, but the numbers we added up were taken from the column for all ethnic groups.  The table is about a quarter of the way down this page:-   https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/uk-population-by-ethnicity/demographics/age-groups/latest

Some interesting stuff on the ONS site, but I cannot find anything on age groupings there:- https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/overviewoftheukpopulation/august2019

Maybe I am just c**p at searching for data as well as typing.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Not sure whether you are joking here?

I am actually not. I will have the vaccine but I am worrying about what it will feel like when they stick a compound which if kept at minus 70 or 80 even must by extension of that be minus 70 or 80?

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I am actually not. I will have the vaccine but I am worrying about what it will feel like when they stick a compound which if kept at minus 70 or 80 even must by extension of that be minus 70 or 80?

The vaccine is stored at minus 70, it is then allowed to warm to room temperature prior to injection.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Maybe we will still get 10% of the vaccine just administered from fewer hubs. It seems it may be easier to have more people traveling to fewer hubs than trying to move smaller quantities to more hubs? I am sure vaccinating people in care homes will be difficult enough. I would assume once more vaccine becomes available and supply chains are established that it will be dispensed more widely. The good news is it is happening.

But as a Huddersfield town fan I prefer to keep well away from Leeds!:classic_blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I am also surprised if has to be administered by a doctor or nurse practitioner.  Regards hanging around to check for side effects, that was mentioned some time ago as 15 minutes, which I assumed is another reason why they are looking at large venues where groups of GP's can work, so space can be allowed for people to sit a while afterwards.

32 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Even after the flu vaccine they monitor you for 5 mins in case of immediate severe reaction. This is what they mean here. 

I have never been monitored over the flu vaccine and neither has my 82 year old father to knowledge. I have just had my jab and walked out of the room after it was done. I was not asked to wait for any period of time.