New vaccine

hollyjess

51 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Credit where credit is due in this case wouldn't harm. 

Totally agree. But since the UK currently has the worst death rate per 100,000 in the entire world now  - worse even than Trump's America  - I'm not sure that there's any due.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Since Frank got his letter yesterday to book his vaccination, I've been mulling over all the infomation that's been issued by the government, and I think your smoke and mirrors comment is true. The actual statement from Boris was 'that everyone over the age of 70 would be offered a vaccination by mid February' offered not given, and there's the problem.  Frank's 'offer 'was the closest vaccination hub at Leeds, then various ones in Cheshire and finally Stoke-on-Trent. With the vaccine supply in the North now being halved and diverted elsewhere I don't think Boris is too far off the mark when he said we could potentially still be in lockdown in the summer. It's all in the postcode😷

Avril

I mentioned the difference between offered and vaccinated several weeks ago. It is an easy tactic to “meet” promised deadlines but not achieve the actual expectation which has been raised in the public.

In a massive programme like this there will always be setbacks.

Lets hope you get offered something a more reasonable distance from home soon. They are even reporting the diversion of the vaccine from Yorkshire in our news up here!

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors about this. Scotgov issued numbers on the availability of the vaccine and the programme as a result of this and were told to remove it. In the words of the FM, Westminster “had a hissy fit” (not very parliamentary language) and were told to remove the statistics. I don’t agree with her often but on this occasion I could see the point, what harm is there is letting the plebs know what is actually happening. Transparency can only help people to understand what a major planning and execution process this all is. Telling us the truth may actually help us understand and be patient. False promises don’t.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

My friend, who is a carer, and her 94 year old Mother had their jabs yesterday, straight in, jab and out.. no 15 minutes sit down to make sure all ok.   Is this allowed.. I thought the 15 minutes was mandatory, but am probably wrong.

When I waited for my 15 minutes I heard the nurses say a GP was causing a fuss as he’d been vaccinated and didn’t want to wait! I did wonder if anyone waited who had theirs done in drive thrus!

I see someone has said that was only for Pfizer (the wait) and mine was Pfizer.

I read most bad reactions came in the first 15 minutes so I think that’s why they did that.

As long as you seek medical help quickly if you have an adverse reaction I suppose it’s ok.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

When I waited for my 15 minutes I heard the nurses say a GP was causing a fuss as he’d been vaccinated and didn’t want to wait! I did wonder if anyone waited who had theirs done in drive thrus!

I see someone has said that was only for Pfizer (the wait) and mine was Pfizer.

I read most bad reactions came in the first 15 minutes so I think that’s why they did that.

As long as you seek medical help quickly if you have an adverse reaction I suppose it’s ok.

I wasn't ask to wait and neither were any of the other NHS staff where I had it done.  We were asked not to drive for 15 minutes but that was all.  We all had Pfizer

Edited by Dinglebert
  • Like 1

Eglesbrech

Your final paragraph is so true

We’re in totally uncharted territory.  It’s unrealistic to think the situation could be resolved without bumps in the road.  I think Joe Public would be understanding if Ministers sometimes appeared on our TVs to say “So sorry.  The facts as we interpreted them seemed to point to x but we were wrong; events have now shown us that we should be following y”. Instead we are treated like children and told everything is ‘World Beating’ .  Sadly, that’s only deaths per thousand of UK population.  

IMO, given the C situation, the B project should have been put on hold, as was available summer 2020.  Politics, eh?

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

I wasn't ask to wait and neither were any of the other NHS staff where I had it done.  We were asked not to drive for 15 minutes but that was all.  We all had Pfizer

Wow, amazing each place is different!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Totally agree. But since the UK currently has the worst death rate per 100,000 in the entire world now  - worse even than Trump's America  - I'm not sure that there's any due.

400+ thousand today. I will rejoice that the self imposed targets were not overpromising and underdelivering. Thanks to all those involved in the programme. Credit where it is due.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors about this. Scotgov issued numbers on the availability of the vaccine and the programme as a result of this and were told to remove it. In the words of the FM, Westminster “had a hissy fit” (not very parliamentary language) and were told to remove the statistics. I don’t agree with her often but on this occasion I could see the point, what harm is there is letting the plebs know what is actually happening. Transparency can only help people to understand what a major planning and execution process this all is. Telling us the truth may actually help us understand and be patient. False promises don’t.

Very true, and those who saw the Scottish list that the UK government banned (still easy to find) can appreciate more fully why there are problems with vaccine supply. Why cover over information that helps people understand what’s going on? It just breeds even more suspicion as to what else is being covered up.

Truth is everything. Many of us haven’t forgotten Matt Hancock’s statement in December that ‘millions’ (his exact word) of vaccinations would have been done by Christmas!

• Like 4

A quick update today was my brothers funeral.  It was a beautiful service for a wonderful man.  On a more positive note after leaving the crematorium and switching our phones back on, we had received a message asking us to book my mother in law in for her vaccination.  She lives with us as she has physical and mental difficulties resulting from a car accident many years ago.  She turned 70 last weekend and is on the shielding list.  My wife has just brought her back in from her first dose of the Oxford vaccine.  She had it at the outpatients clinic at Retford hospital and everything went very well.  My wife said it was very well organised.  

• Like 10

Just now, 9is said:

A quick update today was my brothers funeral.  It was a beautiful service for a wonderful man.  On a more positive note after leaving the crematorium and switching our phones back on, we had received a message asking us to book my mother in law in for her vaccination.  She lives with us as she has physical and mental difficulties resulting from a car accident many years ago.  She turned 70 last weekend and is on the shielding list.  My wife has just brought her back in from her first dose of the Oxford vaccine.  She had it at the outpatients clinic at Retford hospital and everything went very well.  My wife said it was very well organised.  

It must be a very difficult day for you today so a little good news will be welcome.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

400+ thousand today. I will rejoice that the self imposed targets were not overpromising and underdelivering. Thanks to all those involved in the programme. Credit where it is due.

Brilliant. Just over 10m still to go in groups 1-4 and 25 days left until the 15th Feb deadline, so as long as that level is maintained or increased for every one of those 25 days they are on track. That doesn’t allow for those who have had 2 jabs, so are counted twice, but as far as I know that’s a relatively small proportion? I see that the ‘offered’ versus ‘vaccinated’ debate has raised its head again. I have heard both the PM and the Health Secretary say that this means ‘jabbed by 15th’ and they use the word offered as it’s not compulsory. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I have heard both the PM and the Health Secretary say that this means ‘jabbed by 15th’ and they use the word offered as it’s not compulsory. 

I have heard very many things from those two sources. Unfortunately quite a few  of them didn’t happen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Brilliant. Just over 10m still to go in groups 1-4 and 25 days left until the 15th Feb deadline, so as long as that level is maintained or increased for every one of those 25 days they are on track. That doesn’t allow for those who have had 2 jabs, so are counted twice, but as far as I know that’s a relatively small proportion? I see that the ‘offered’ versus ‘vaccinated’ debate has raised its head again. I have heard both the PM and the Health Secretary say that this means ‘jabbed by 15th’ and they use the word offered as it’s not compulsory. 

I will sit quietly and await my offer. If I need to travel some distance I will kindly accept my offer. If some folk don't I may get my offer sooner. I am 71, if I get my offer in day 25, I will be content even if I need to get in a taxi. A taxi fare v jab, no contest. If I get Jabbed on day 26, or 27 I won't have a hissy fit, but will still say thank you to all those dedicated folk working silly hours to try and keep me and DW safe. I won't be trawling the internet to find bad news, but will be planning some weekends away and some more holidays.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I will sit quietly and await my offer. If I need to travel some distance I will kindly accept my offer. If some folk don't I may get my offer sooner. I am 71, if I get my offer in day 25, I will be content even if I need to get in a taxi. A taxi fare v jab, no contest. If I get Jabbed on day 26, or 27 I won't have a hissy fit, but will still say thank you to all those dedicated folk working silly hours to try and keep me and DW safe. I won't be trawling the internet to find bad news, but will be planning some weekends away and some more holidays.

Wise words. I’m prepared to drive to the other end of the country to get my jab, so will take the first offer when it comes up! Being a carer I nudge up two places in the rankings so am hoping mine will be around March, as long as the second jabs don’t slow things down too much. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, 9is said:

Just glad that there was a small positive on what must have been a very difficult day. Take Care

• Like 4

Just now, Selbourne said:

Wise words. I’m prepared to drive to the other end of the country to get my jab, so will take the first offer when it comes up! Being a carer I nudge up two places in the rankings so am hoping mine will be around March, as long as the second jabs don’t slow things down too much. 

That’s great for those who drive (or have those who can take them) and are mobile. Not so much for those less fortunate.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

I won't go that far, probably about 300 miles round trip, maybe a bit more.🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I have heard both the PM and the Health Secretary say that this means ‘jabbed by 15th’ and they use the word offered as it’s not compulsory. 

I also heard the Health Secretary make a promise you and I discussed earlier in this thread (I provided a link to the quote). You did not give that must credence.

I’m sure we will all be delighted if everything progresses according to ALL these announcements and promises.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have heard very many things from those two sources. Unfortunately quite a few  of them didn’t happen.

But the suggestion was that the word ‘offered’ might be a crafty way of getting around the 15th Feb deadline and I am pointing out that they have been very clear that the 15th is a jab by date. Looks like they are on track to deliver that but, unless I have missed something, the jabs are being done by the NHS, not politicians, so we can’t heap all the praise purely on the NHS when things go well but heap all the negativity solely on politicians if it doesn’t. I am sure that there are issues of vaccine supply (as they have always said there will be), but the fact remains that different health trusts and individual GP surgeries also have different levels of competency and efficiency. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That’s great for those who drive (or have those who can take them) and are mobile. Not so much for those less fortunate.

I fully appreciate that and it was a slightly tongue in cheek comment, although personally I will go for the first appointment I am offered. With the number of places that are vaccinating, there should be no need to travel big distances. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, 9is said:

I'm sure you will remember the good times with your brother .

All my best wishes to you and your family , take care and stay safe .

• Like 3

Just now, Selbourne said:

I fully appreciate that and it was a slightly tongue in cheek comment, although personally I will go for the first appointment I am offered. With the number of places that are vaccinating, there should be no need to travel big distances. 

I will do the same but I’m cognisant of the fact that I am in the privileged position of doing so.

Unfortunately up here there may be a need to travel greater distances as we are more geographically spread out and I assume rural areas of England, Wales and NI  will be the same.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

But the suggestion was that the word ‘offered’ might be a crafty way of getting around the 15th Feb deadline and I am pointing out that they have been very clear that the 15th is a jab by date. Looks like they are on track to deliver that but, unless I have missed something, the jabs are being done by the NHS, not politicians, so we can’t heap all the praise purely on the NHS when things go well but heap all the negativity solely on politicians if it doesn’t. I am sure that there are issues of vaccine supply (as they have always said there will be), but the fact remains that different health trusts and individual GP surgeries also have different levels of competency and efficiency. 

I am no great fan of Boris or his team, but sure don't envy them at the moment. Although I must say that I would prefer that an NHS approved jabber gave me the vaccine. If Pretti was on the pressing end of the syringe I would probably let her do it. She's a bit too scary to turn down.🤔

55 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I am no great fan of Boris or his team, but sure don't envy them at the moment. Although I must say that I would prefer that an NHS approved jabber gave me the vaccine. If Pretti was on the pressing end of the syringe I would probably let her do it. She's a bit too scary to turn down.🤔

Desperate though I am to have the vaccine, I would draw the line at her. Anyone who is completely incapable of even sounding the letter ‘g’ (vaccinatin’, policin’ etc) isn’t coming anywhere near me with a needle.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1