New vaccine

hollyjess

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hopefully you and Frank soon get a vaccine invite close to home.

I'll check everyday to see if anywhere closer is offered. Today it was Wakefield or York as the nearest. Maybe tomorrow🤞   I said I would never do the lottery, and here I am doing the postcode one😁

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Ok. So my grandson got into the site another way and I've got some more for you.

Sports City Manchester M11 3BS

Superdrug vaccination site Manchester Piccadilly

Andrews Pharmacy Macclesfield Cheshire.

Avril

Thank you to you and your Grandson 🙂

Sorry I did not respond previously - I did not have access to the computer then.  The system seems to be referring to greater Manchester as Cheshire since Salford is in Greater Manchester as well.  Macclesfield is Cheshire of course, but on the Eastern edge.  I think the system is probably saying that is where people from Cheshire can go, though seemed to be suggesting places a long distance away for you, especially with mention of Stoke! 

There is one of the new mass vaccine centres in central Manchester (perhaps the Sports City one) as well as one in St Helens (which is half way between Manchester and Liverpool), so a lot in that area and perhaps why they suggested sending you that direction.  Manchester are reported as being way ahead in the vaccine program, which is presumably why the NW looks as though it is doing well, but looks like we are well behind them here as still on over 80's and care homes being focused on apparently.

Apart from the GP hubs, there is nothing in the West Cheshire, Wirral or Liverpool area.  If called, we would probably go to Manchester if allowed to, or even St Helens, (but possibly be a longer journey as the route is all through built up areas).  Less than an hour one way would likely do either.  Our local area is known as having a very elderly population, so we could leave the local apts to those who really need it.  I cannot drive for medical reasons, so hoping we may be able to go at a similar time (our birthdays are just 5 weeks apart), but as we are only just coming up to 71, will be a while yet for us.  The Countess of Chester Hospital was on the local news tonight as the worst  affected in the North West.  All Children in that hospital for other reasons have been transferred to our local hospital, though our hospital is in a very bad way as well with COVID.  The increase in virus numbers are only just beginning to level off here and have gone sky high with being left in a lower tier when areas around were all pretty well locked down, despite local politicians calls for us to be put in a higher tier.

I really feel for the health care staff though and personally think they should be given their second vaccine jab, given the risks they are in and how the staff absences are making it so much worse as well.  A friend's daughter works in the Chester hospital and I have heard a lot about the difficulties there throughout the pandemic.

I hope you get a vaccine soon as must be very difficult for you and your husband. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

there is unlikely to be any smoke or mirrors that will confuse the data.

Maybe maybe not    - as posted earlier  my  GP centre has this

The following groups will be prioritised in order. Please be aware that we are only able to invite and vaccinate groups 3 and onward once we have been given permission to do so by NHS England. We realise that this may mean that some couples may each have to attend twice, but we are under strict direction that we cannot make any exceptions.

1. Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers;
  2. All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
  3. All those 75 years of age and over;
  4. All those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals

From yesterday

and today I have this:

Preston and Burnley are set to get their own mass Covid vaccination centres within weeks, following new sites in Blackpool, Lancaster and Blackburn 

So that suggests they have the vaccine but they are not giving it out until these new centres are

up and running  so that should take us well past Boris's Mid Feb target date.

Whole article is here for any Lancashire Lads & Lasses interested.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/lancashire-ahead-covid-jabs-target-19685147

Just found this on a link through my GP's web page.  After it goes into the groups who are supposed to be offered a vaccine by mid February, it also gives a projected time span for the over 50's to 69 group under the "What happens next" section:-

https://patient.info/news-and-features/when-will-i-get-my-covid-19-vaccine 

Not sounding too confident.

25 minutes ago, tring said:

I hope you get a vaccine soon as must be very difficult for you and your husband. 

No, it's not so bad, there are people much worse than we are. We're coping well, I get a bit stir-crazy at times but it passes. We have regular weekly food deliveries so no problems there. I have my kindle, codewords and of course CC. Frank has his art, sudoku and travel books so we keep well occupied. I only wish they would tell  us exactly where stand and stop faffing around. 

Avril

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, tring said:

Thank you to you and your Grandson 🙂

Sorry I did not respond previously - I did not have access to the computer then.  The system seems to be referring to greater Manchester as Cheshire since Salford is in Greater Manchester as well.  Macclesfield is Cheshire of course, but on the Eastern edge.  I think the system is probably saying that is where people from Cheshire can go, though seemed to be suggesting places a long distance away for you, especially with mention of Stoke! 

There is one of the new mass vaccine centres in central Manchester (perhaps the Sports City one) as well as one in St Helens (which is half way between Manchester and Liverpool), so a lot in that area and perhaps why they suggested sending you that direction.  Manchester are reported as being way ahead in the vaccine program, which is presumably why the NW looks as though it is doing well, but looks like we are well behind them here as still on over 80's and care homes being focused on apparently.

Apart from the GP hubs, there is nothing in the West Cheshire, Wirral or Liverpool area.  If called, we would probably go to Manchester if allowed to, or even St Helens, (but possibly be a longer journey as the route is all through built up areas).  Less than an hour one way would likely do either.  Our local area is known as having a very elderly population, so we could leave the local apts to those who really need it.  I cannot drive for medical reasons, so hoping we may be able to go at a similar time (our birthdays are just 5 weeks apart), but as we are only just coming up to 71, will be a while yet for us.  The Countess of Chester Hospital was on the local news tonight as the worst  affected in the North West.  All Children in that hospital for other reasons have been transferred to our local hospital, though our hospital is in a very bad way as well with COVID.  The increase in virus numbers are only just beginning to level off here and have gone sky high with being left in a lower tier when areas around were all pretty well locked down, despite local politicians calls for us to be put in a higher tier.

I really feel for the health care staff though and personally think they should be given their second vaccine jab, given the risks they are in and how the staff absences are making it so much worse as well.  A friend's daughter works in the Chester hospital and I have heard a lot about the difficulties there throughout the pandemic.

I assume it uses google maps and picks the nearest ones via road from the postcode you input, but I have no idea if it applies any other exclusions. 

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume it uses google maps and picks the nearest ones via road from the postcode you input, but I have no idea if it applies any other exclusions. 

As they are saying a 45 min journey, we may never be called for any, though depending on traffic conditions, we may be getting a bit borderline for that.  I think as you say the system would more likely go for the nearest. but if it wanted to send Avril to Stoke........

Thinking we will have a long wait.

54 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The one they usually use is "As the crow flies".

18 hours ago, indiana123 said:

My friend, who is a carer, and her 94 year old Mother had their jabs yesterday, straight in, jab and out.. no 15 minutes sit down to make sure all ok.   Is this allowed.. I thought the 15 minutes was mandatory, but am probably wrong.

We had our first jabs yesterday, and had the Astra Arnica one. The requirement for 15 minutes monitoring after the jab only apples to the Phizer vaccine. Hence we were released as soon as the vaccine was done.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Health Secretary, Cabinet Minister, Fist Minister - spot the connection, you really aren’t good at these games Zap.

I’m sure there is a common phrase that links them all. It’s right on the tip of my tongue.......

I replied to post 2983 to give my opinion that the conspiracy theory was unjustified, just a person breaking a confidence. That discourtesy was corrected and an apology made. The transgressor just happened to be both Scottish and a Government minister. Reading properly is something that I am good at. Politics is of no interest to me at all. Not a jot,   

• Like 1

Good morning everyone. Happy Saturday.

Things in London are dire. I'm not going to go into all the terrifying details of death, and desperation of the hospital staff, but it's grim. 

I've been reading all the posts about re-allocation of the vaccines to different parts of the country and I'm truly sorry for all of you who've been affected. I can only say that in my patch of London, we've been vaccinating all week as normal but have just heard there's no 'drop' of vaccines next week so I can only presume we've become part of the re-allocation process too. Unfortunately we get very little info from NHS England and so we just have to go with the flow. 

Earlier in the week we discussed the posts about recovery at home from Covid. I got some medical opinions and for those who have not been hospitalised, the advice is "Honestly, listen to your body, sleep when you need to, take paracetamol, take plenty of fluids, and contact your GP or 111 if you feel things are changing for the worse again. Antibiotics may be needed for chest complications". For those who have been hospitalised and especially have been ventilated, recovery should be followed as per the advice given on discharge. Every case is different. I'm aware this sounds very bland but it's basic, sound advice. We follow up on our discharged-home Covid patients with a daily phone call and a home visit if needed. 

Once again, I'm aware that my posts are all very depressing so I'm going to sign off for a week or until I have something more positive to say. Sorry to sound such a whinge-bag!

By the way when and where is the Princess cruise some of you are going on - I'd love to join?

Thanks for letting me rant and whinge.

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Things in London are dire. I'm not going to go into all the terrifying details of death, and desperation of the hospital staff, but it's grim. 

I've been reading all the posts about re-allocation of the vaccines to different parts of the country and I'm truly sorry for all of you who've been affected. I can only say that in my patch of London, we've been vaccinating all week as normal but have just heard there's no 'drop' of vaccines next week so I can only presume we've become part of the re-allocation process too. Unfortunately we get very little info from NHS England and so we just have to go with the flow. 

Earlier in the week we discussed the posts about recovery at home from Covid. I got some medical opinions and for those who have not been hospitalised, the advice is "Honestly, listen to your body, sleep when you need to, take paracetamol, take plenty of fluids, and contact your GP or 111 if you feel things are changing for the worse again. Antibiotics may be needed for chest complications". For those who have been hospitalised and especially have been ventilated, recovery should be followed as per the advice given on discharge. Every case is different. I'm aware this sounds very bland but it's basic, sound advice. We follow up on our discharged-home Covid patients with a daily phone call and a home visit if needed. 

Once again, I'm aware that my posts are all very depressing so I'm going to sign off for a week or until I have something more positive to say. Sorry to sound such a whinge-bag!

By the way when and where is the Princess cruise some of you are going on - I'd love to join?

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Thanks for the update Jane, I think most of us just want to know what is happening, so any snippets from a reliable source are welcome. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Your not "Whinging /Ranting " Jane, you are telling it like it is and the reality of the situation .

Not wanting to sound rude but I would rather hear what is actually happening as opposed to what someone thinks is happening . I promise I will not shoot the messenger , great to hear from you .

You and your hubby keep safe and thank you for posting .:classic_smile:

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Thank you Jane for your posts.I find them really helpful.The Princess cruise is end of October to the Med. 14 nights £999 for a balcony cabin.Who could resist??

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Thank you Jane for your posts.I find them really helpful.The Princess cruise is end of October to the Med. 14 nights £999 for a balcony cabin.Who could resist??

Thanks very much Ann. I'm heading off to Princess right now! J.x

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

I look forward to your posts Jane,  You are not whinging or ranting, just telling us as it is, which is what we need to hear. They are the only way we receive helpful advice and honest news. I feel a little ashamed now, as my situation is nothing compared to the stress and fustration you and your colleagues are facing every day. We are grateful for your work and your posts, and hope to hear from you again. Look after you and yours, take care and stay safe.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 10

22 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks for the update Jane, I think most of us just want to know what is happening, so any snippets from a reliable source are welcome. 

+1🙂

On a side note, Jane, and just to prove that the scientists seem to agree on nothing, some of them believe taking paracetamol to lower temperature is not a good idea. I haven't a clue who's right!

19 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

+1🙂

On a side note, Jane, and just to prove that the scientists seem to agree on nothing, some of them believe taking paracetamol to lower temperature is not a good idea. I haven't a clue who's right!

It is not necessarily a good idea to take paracetamol to lower temperature. Fever and/or raised temperature is the bodies response to viral/ bacterial attack, which need to work within a narrow temperature band to replicate/breed. Lowering the temperature and reducing aches and pains might make you feel better in the short term but can actually cause the infection to drag on. At the end of the day you could read hundreds of reports and still be no wiser, some studies have vested interest and can be misleading, sometimes you just have to do what you think is best for you under your circumstances/

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I look forward to your posts Jane,  You are not whinging or ranting, just telling us as it is, which is what we need to hear. They are the only way we receive helpful advice and honest news. I feel a little ashamed now, as my situation is nothing compared to the stress and fustration you and your colleagues are facing every day. We are grateful for your work and your posts, and hope to hear from you again. Look after you and yours, take care and stay safe.

Avril

Agree with every word. X

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is not necessarily a good idea to take paracetamol to lower temperature. Fever and/or raised temperature is the bodies response to viral/ bacterial attack, which need to work within a narrow temperature band to replicate/breed. Lowering the temperature and reducing aches and pains might make you feel better in the short term but can actually cause the infection to drag on. At the end of the day you could read hundreds of reports and still be no wiser, some studies have vested interest and can be misleading, sometimes you just have to do what you think is best for you under your circumstances/

Many thanks for that. That was my mother's view (she was a medical scientist) when I was a child - how I suffered🥵. Hadn't heard about it again until very recently when two of the scientists I follow mentioned it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Many thanks for that. That was my mother's view (she was a medical scientist) when I was a child - how I suffered🥵. Hadn't heard about it again until very recently when two of the scientists I follow mentioned it.

Mother knows best.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Mother knows best.

Not my view at the time, particularly as that was in the days when we all got mumps, measles, rubella and chicken pox - eeh, we 'ad it tough. Back then it was aspirin that was withheld for temperatures, not paracetamol - no idea if paracetamol was around then.

I was looking through some of the news feeds this morning to see how they had reported on the Government announcement re; Kent strain of covid and the fact that they stated it could be more than 30% more fatal. Plus some reports that the vaccine could be 50% less effective against the South African strain or whether Sage were only 50% sure that it was actually more deadly against the Kent strain. With me so far, great because I don't know what or who to believe.

WHAT DO STUDIES SUBMITTED TO SAGE ON THE KENT STRAIN'S LETHALITY SHOW?

RESEARCH GROUP 

IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON (1)

IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON (2)

LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MEDICINE (1)  

LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MEDICINE (2)

UNIVERSITY OF EXETER 

COVID-19 CLINICAL INFORMATION NETWORK  

PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND (1) 

PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND (2)

PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND (3)

PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND (4)

36% 

29% 

35% 

28%

91% 

37%

7%

30%

0%

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Not my view at the time, particularly as that was in the days when we all got mumps, measles, rubella and chicken pox - eeh, we 'ad it tough. Back then it was aspirin that was withheld for temperatures, not paracetamol - no idea if paracetamol was around then.

I had forgotten that, I don’t remember paracetamol until my teenage years. It was always aspirin or asket powders (powdered aspirin) which was put on a spoon with milk.

My mother also swore by soup, not scientific at all but comforting and easy to digest when ill.

• Like 2