New vaccine

hollyjess

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

My niece has just text me that she has had her first Pfizer vaccine today.  This is good news for our family because she is having chemotherapy ( had 5th out of 6 chemo sessions on Monday ) so her immune system is compromised at the moment.

Yes - after a minor hiccup our local hubs (Nottingham and Nottinghamshire) are back on stream offering jabs to the over-75's. Just booked myself and the other half in for Friday 29th. The Swiftqueue website has also automatically booked our appointments for the 2nd jab in April.

• Like 6

Just now, arlowood said:

Yes - after a minor hiccup our local hubs (Nottingham and Nottinghamshire) are back on stream offering jabs to the over-75's. Just booked myself and the other half in for Friday 29th. The Swiftqueue website has also automatically booked our appointments for the 2nd jab in April.

More good news. Really pleased for you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It's the NHS doing the delivering, that why the impossible is being achieved. 

Who else but the NHS would deliver the vaccine into people?, but I thought the Army were involved in delivering to vaccine to the NHS. As you say, those who thought the targets were impossible must be looking for scapegoats.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

My niece has just text me that she has had her first Pfizer vaccine today.  This is good news for our family because she is having chemotherapy ( had 5th out of 6 chemo sessions on Monday ) so her immune system is compromised at the moment.

That’s good news

My niece (under 30) who is generally “well” but has a lung condition a little like cystic fibrosis has her appointment for next week, too.  
I’m very pleased for her

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

That’s good news

My niece (under 30) who is generally “well” but has a lung condition a little like cystic fibrosis has her appointment for next week, too.  
I’m very pleased for her

Great news, I'm glad vulnerable people are getting some level of protection regardless of age.

My sister actually administered my niece's vaccine because she has been seconded to the vaccination centre from her day job as a community mental health nurse manager. 

• Like 3

55-59% of over 80s have been vaccinated here in the South West.  Some other places are up to 70% and some others are below 50%.  Heard yesterday about two new mass vaccination places here in the SW as well.  Plymouth Argyle football stadium and also somewhere in Cornwall, so take my hat off to all those involved.  It's a logistical nightmare.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

That’s good news

I’m very pleased for her

That's good news for your niece with her lung condition being a concern.

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Happy to hear your good news about your niece.

I hope her chemotherapy is working well for her too.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Who else but the NHS would deliver the vaccine into people?, but I thought the Army were involved in delivering to vaccine to the NHS. As you say, those who thought the targets were impossible must be looking for scapegoats.

The delivery is by the NHS - not the government or its cronies.

That is why the delivery is going well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

478,000 today. Remember phrases like over promising and unrealistic. 🤣🤣

There were several members of our forum that ridiculed the idea that we could vaccinate anywhere near 2m a month, never mind nearly 3m a week and it would take at least 2 years to vaccinate the most vulnerable. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It's the NHS doing the delivering, that why the impossible is being achieved. 

As regards clinical care I thought the NHS had been doing it all along, although when things went wrong it was always the govts fault, I wonder why?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

As regards clinical care I thought the NHS had been doing it all along, although when things went wrong it was always the govts fault, I wonder why?

Because the buck stops there? They are the ultimate decision makers so ultimately rise or fall by those decisions, that’s always been the case has it not.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The delivery is by the NHS - not the government or its cronies.

That is why the delivery is going well.

To be fair though, the government secured the vaccines in sufficient quantities to allow this phenomenal level of vaccinations. As I said in a previous post, I don’t think it’s right to attribute all the praise for what is going well solely on the NHS, but all criticism of the inevitable problems solely on the govt. It’s a massive team effort. The govt isn’t perfect, but neither is the NHS.

• Like 6

Local GPs have started here as a collective, using a Salvation Army Hall.

It is like a smoothly running conveyor belt - in - jab - wait - out.

But I am gutted - I read ALL the conspiracy theories.

DH had his first Pfizer jab yesterday morning, and we STILL can't get 5G, no matter how much I twiddle his ears.🙄

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The NHS don’t keep making promises about clinical care, and then fail to deliver 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nosapphire said:

DH had his first Pfizer jab yesterday morning, and we STILL can't get 5G, no matter how much I twiddle his ears.🙄

Sit him next to your TV  then you should get a good reception . :classic_unsure:

Glad he had his jab with no side effects :classic_smile:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Post of the day!😂

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There were several members of our forum that ridiculed the idea that we could vaccinate anywhere near 2m a month, never mind nearly 3m a week and it would take at least 2 years to vaccinate the most vulnerable. 

I doubt that they will remember those words.  Perhaps a bit of grudging acceptance would be warranted, but I doubt that will be forthcoming. Not to worry. Thank you to those that have exceeded the targets.🤣

The media keep blaming the government for the poor infection and death rates. They have made mistakes but the main reason for the appalling numbers is people. We see it every day in the media and there are far too many cars on the road, which wasn't the case when the first lockdown occurred. I had to take my wife to hospital at that time and the roads, including the M1 near Barnsley was very quiet, it's not now.

Too many people are not treating this pandemic seriously and I have witnessed this first hand with a friends, sisters husband very poorly in hospital, aged 49. They haven't followed guidelines since the start and she is shedding tears wishing they had.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Bill Gates will probably call round tomorrow to fix the glitch!

• Like 1

I’ve just read that, across the pond, Dr Fauci reckons the Johnson & Johnson vaccine could get US approval in the next two weeks.  That’s a single dose affair.  Sounds very practical.  I’ll try to find out if we have any on order

Found it

30 million ordered with an option for 22 million more

Well, that would get all adults done, simply, wouldn’t it?

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

The media keep blaming the government for the poor infection and death rates. They have made mistakes but the main reason for the appalling numbers is people. We see it every day in the media and there are far too many cars on the road, which wasn't the case when the first lockdown occurred. I had to take my wife to hospital at that time and the roads, including the M1 near Barnsley was very quiet, it's not now.

Too many people are not treating this pandemic seriously and I have witnessed this first hand with a friends, sisters husband very poorly in hospital, aged 49. They haven't followed guidelines since the start and she is shedding tears wishing they had.

One of the things that never cease to amaze me is the number of people queuing at airports, they were interviewing a young couple on tonight's news who were kicking up a fuss at Heathrow because they were going to have to isolate for 10 days, they had just returned from Barbados with a lovely tan, not sure how that was essential travel, others complaining that they were not social distancing at the airport yet they had just got off an aeroplane.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

To be fair though, the government secured the vaccines in sufficient quantities to allow this phenomenal level of vaccinations. As I said in a previous post, I don’t think it’s right to attribute all the praise for what is going well solely on the NHS, but all criticism of the inevitable problems solely on the govt. It’s a massive team effort. The govt isn’t perfect, but neither is the NHS.

Interestingly our neighbours aren't doing nearly so well in vaccinating their subjects. When we are a bit further along , I'm sure we can help them out.