New vaccine

hollyjess

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Aw that's a lovely story Josy!

Here's a link for everyone to the BBC - it says 50 and above will be vaccinated by end April.  Scroll down to the Vaccinations bit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Thank you Jean,  I still carry my donor card with me because the Ventura experience showed me that you never know when you may be called on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I hope our area is a couple of weeks behind yours because I am 65 on Feb 26 so am due to change tier to group 5

I have had my vaccine early being in the shielded group but now is the only time that my twin wishes she was a few weeks older (We will be 65 at the beginning of March

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We have a 73 year old friend who just got called today, so I think different areas are at difference stages, but it's looking good.

We are not in any hurry to go anywhere so are not too bothered at the moment.  I just hope that I get vaccinated in time to bowl this summer. Chatting online with my bowling team members is nothing like bowling matches followed by going to the pub quiz after the game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Jane, what a wonderful man.  And what a wonderful job you are all doing.

For the rest of you, I was a blood donor for years, also when I lived in Canada.  So one day after work I went along to give my pint but had a date that evening, so didn't stay for the usual 15 minute sit down and tea and biccies.  Got on the subway, there were no seats so was standing in the doorway.  Or at least I was for ten minutes.  Last thing I remember was hitting the floor.  When I woke up, I was on the station platform with a crowd of people round me.  I was so fazed out, I couldn't talk properly, so I kept pointing to my arm with the plaster on it.  Next thing was a policeman asking the last time I took drugs!!  Needless to say, I didn't go on the date that night.

Thank you very much Jean. Yes a wonderful man. I feel very proud to have 'known' him - albeit remotely. Love your reminiscence about the blood doning and I'm glad you are feeling better after your uncomfortable 24 hours post-vaccine. Best wishes. Jane.x

8 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Jean , that  made me think of of 2 blood donor experiences that I had that were not like the other 53 times that I donated.

Where I worked the blood donor people used to come twice a year and on one occasion my appointment was at the same time as a first time nervous donor from my department so we walked across to the donor site together and I was trying to stop him from being nervous.  After giving blood I joined the queue for tea and biscuits and the other person was right behind me so I turned and said " I told you that you would be ok" the next thing I knew I was lying on a bed and a Red Cross lady was giving me an organ donor card.

The other experience was on board Ventura, I came out of the shower to hear an announcement asking anyone who was O positive blood group and had their blood donor card with them to report to the medical centre.  They took my blood and I thought no more about it but later in the day we went back to our cabin and found a thank you card and a nice bottle of wine (much better than the  tea and biscuit than I was used to).

Wonderful story Josy. I bet the nervous gentleman has told it many times too! Good on you for donating so many pints. Best wishes. Jane.x

Good Morning Everyone

Early start for me today so posting early with an update from our hub: it's been a bit of a wasted week so far vaccine- wise. We had a directive that we were not allowed to start on our 65- 70 cohort until we'd done a final ' sweep' of our 70+ groupings so we've been phoning around again to try and capture the patients we'd either not been able to contact previously, or those who were still "thinking about it".  One gentleman told me to stop "stalking" him so we have to be careful and know when to stop asking. We've vaccinated all our housebound patients and my individual practice has reached and vaccinated 88% of our 70+ age group which we're thrilled about.

We have a final catch-up session on Sunday but in the meanwhile hope to be able to start contacting the 65-70s tomorrow in preparation for next week. Some of you seem to have already reached that tier.. London can learn a lot from other parts of the country. We're now giving the AZ vaccine so no worries about wastage thank goodness.

Well have a good day everyone and a massive thanks for all your support -  to me personally and the NHS generally. I know I grizzle about the NHS but it's a great institution and I still feel privileged to work for it.

Best wishes.

Jane.x

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Wonderful story Josy. I bet the nervous gentleman has told it many times too! Good on you for donating so many pints. Best wishes. Jane.x

"A pint,that's a bloody armful".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Morning all, the sun is out here!  Felt absolutely dreadful all last evening, went to bed at 10 and didn't know another thing until 8 am.  Much better today, now just feel like I have a cold, although no snuffles.  Just tired.  Twill pass.

Hi Jean,Salcombe was on the telly last night.One of those British walks programmes.Looks a lovely place.I'll put it on my bucket list.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone

Early start for me today so posting early with an update from our hub: it's been a bit of a wasted week so far vaccine- wise. We had a directive that we were not allowed to start on our 65- 70 cohort until we'd done a final ' sweep' of our 70+ groupings so we've been phoning around again to try and capture the patients we'd either not been able to contact previously, or those who were still "thinking about it".  One gentleman told me to stop "stalking" him so we have to be careful and know when to stop asking. We've vaccinated all our housebound patients and my individual practice has reached and vaccinated 88% of our 70+ age group which we're thrilled about.

We have a final catch-up session on Sunday but in the meanwhile hope to be able to start contacting the 65-70s tomorrow in preparation for next week. Some of you seem to have already reached that tier.. London can learn a lot from other parts of the country. We're now giving the AZ vaccine so no worries about wastage thank goodness.

Well have a good day everyone and a massive thanks for all your support -  to me personally and the NHS generally. I know I grizzle about the NHS but it's a great institution and I still feel privileged to work for it.

Best wishes.

Jane.x

Thanks for the update, Jane.  Hope your day goes well.

The situation varies across the country, as you know.  Here, there's an absolute block, according to my GP, whom I trust, on vaccinating anyone under 70 - though that's not the position everywhere.

I'm going for mine on Saturday via the service the GP offers, but I've had a letter and a phone call so far from the alternative NHS run service operating within 500 metres of it.  My wife is 70 in a few months and will probably get her call up in the next week or two, but there's no way she can be vaccinated with me on Saturday, which is a shame because the weather doesn't look good after this week and we have to travel.

Keep up the good work!!!  🙂 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Aw that's a lovely story Josy!

Here's a link for everyone to the BBC - it says 50 and above will be vaccinated by end April.  Scroll down to the Vaccinations bit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

That’s completion of first dose of vaccine, it could be June or July before all over 50s will be completely vaccinated. 

On 2/2/2021 at 6:18 PM, Josy1953 said:

Pete14, Have you been told that the trial is being changed ?

A friend in London who is on the Novavax trial down there just emailed this to me after she received a text from their lead doctor.

They're changing to a crossover trial which means they won't unblind til the end. Instead, everyone will be invited back for a further two jabs (placebo people will get the real thing and vice versa). They will get everyone back in within the next month or so for the first of the two jabs and everyone will get 2 with the three week interval.

Hi Josy.

I hadn’t heard that and am thinking that it may be for a smaller group of volunteers because I got an email from them the other day that outlined unblinding arrangements in the way we have been told before. We are there for a blood test next week anyway at which point I was going to ask to be told vaccine or placebo because I should be called for vaccination in the next few weeks. If they are going to offer the opportunity to continue in the way your friend has, I think I will go along with it because it seems to make sense.

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

That’s completion of first dose of vaccine, it could be June or July before all over 50s will be completely vaccinated. 

Look on the brightside. We will have had the most important first dose much earlier than anyone had predicted. I'm thankful for that, and not at all worried that the second will follow. You will feel much happier if you read your post another way. All over 50's will be fully vaccinated in 4-5 months. Then look back to last  June!

Avril

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hi Jean,Salcombe was on the telly last night.One of those British walks programmes.Looks a lovely place.I'll put it on my bucket list.

Perhaps we should organise a regular coach party or two, or drag kalos’ caravan down to the harbour in preparation for the summer. I hear there is a nice space right outside the harbour office. 😇

Edited by pete14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just read Jane's post with interest.  Fancy someone saying "stop stalking me".  What a pillock.  Nowt as queer as folk.

I only hope that refusals are somehow recorded, otherwise I can see some nasty accusations coming if some of these idiots contract covid and are hospitalised. I wonder if some of these refusals are because of a fear of needles?

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi Brian, the guy at  National Coastwatch was our Station Manager.  I am a watchkeeper up there too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I only hope that refusals are somehow recorded, otherwise I can see some nasty accusations coming if some of these idiots contract covid and are hospitalised. I wonder if some of these refusals are because of a fear of needles?

Avril

Thats a very good point. The accusations and complaints generally come from bereaved family members after the death of a loved one, when they are often not in full possession of the facts. Some patients don’t want family members to know that they have refused treatment. 

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

As Selbourne said earlier, it would help if the broadcasters didn't treat us to lingering close-up shots of needles going into arms.

• Like 1

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Do you not think that they do that to show how people don't even feel the needle.  I didn't

No. I think they do it to show us how injections work, just in case there's anyone out there who doesn't already know. A bit like when there's, say, a water shortage they show a dripping tap.

For a long time, one of the broadcasters' websites (can't remember the culprit) showed a photograph of a cannula being inserted instead of an injection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1