New vaccine

hollyjess

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

Brexit strikes again! 

Nissan will be next, and who can blame them.

Any foreign owned company will always be prepared to move when it suits them, I used to work for one of the largest privately owned engineering companies in Europe, they closed the uk plant not because we was unprofitable but to save jobs in Austria and there new plant in China which was losing money, Brexit is just an excuse 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The point I was making was the Belgian government had the opportunity to pre order but obviously didn’t, so those living there must be wandering why not them, obviously my post caused you some consternation my apologies for that.

Sometimes it can be a case of first up best dressed. In fairness our government was pretty quick at committing vast amounts of money to ordering millions of doses from various global suppliers. At the moment that may turn out to be a very smart and proactive move. I am sure there will be plenty of people here asking why millions of doses of the Astra vaccine are going abroad.    

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Any foreign owned company will always be prepared to move when it suits them, I used to work for one of the largest privately owned engineering companies in Europe, they closed the uk plant not because we was unprofitable but to save jobs in Austria and there new plant in China which was losing money, Brexit is just an excuse 

This sort of thing will always happen, a company I worked for moved our headquarters from the UK to Switzerland purely and simply because they got a big grant to do so. Some people will use Brexit as an excuse regardless, the same thing is happening with covid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The point I was making was the Belgian government had the opportunity to pre order but obviously didn’t, so those living there must be wandering why not them, obviously my post caused you some consternation my apologies for that.

I assume most EU countries are participating in the joint procurement agreement, so Belgiums supply will be arranged centrally.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume most EU countries are participating in the joint procurement agreement, so Belgiums supply will be arranged centrally.

They may be but the emergency regs MHRA have used are available to other countries in Europe. Whether they use them or not is their choice and there is probably a lot of politics behind it. It will be interesting to watch the fallout over the next few months when countries are complaining they haven't got their fair share of vaccine. If it pans out well for us in future months there will likely be a backlash from Europe in one form or another?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Sometimes it can be a case of first up best dressed. In fairness our government was pretty quick at committing vast amounts of money to ordering millions of doses from various global suppliers. At the moment that may turn out to be a very smart and proactive move. I am sure there will be plenty of people here asking why millions of doses of the Astra vaccine are going abroad.    

I agree. If they got it wrong so be it, but they have done their best on securing vaccines.

At the moment the Astra vaccine seems to be the candidate that's cheapest, easiest to transport and easiest to store, so has to be of benefit both to us and to poorer countries; we need them vaccinated for our protection as well as theirs, alongside richer countries who can afford the more expensive vaccines. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Esprit said:

It will be argued that proof of vaccination is almost worthless as the vaccine doesn't give 100% protection against the virus. With 95% efficacy there is a 5% chance someone may still get the virus despite thinking they are protected. 

I think they would recognise that they are 95% protected. Most folk have a degree of common sense. Probably 95%,or so 😁.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I think they would recognise that they are 95% protected. Most folk have a degree of common sense. Probably 95%,or so 😁.

Will you be able to tell if you are being protected, maybe by having an antibody test? It is confusing that even if stuffed full of antibodies you could still catch it. However if it stops you dying or being hospitalised people will still be happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After you are 95% immunised not my words you can print off the relevant part of your medical records showing the immunisation, it will also have details of your doctors nhs no etc but would the country your visiting accept that proof.

27 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Will you be able to tell if you are being protected, maybe by having an antibody test? It is confusing that even if stuffed full of antibodies you could still catch it. However if it stops you dying or being hospitalised people will still be happy.

No more happy than I will be🤣. After all this is finished, one day, I hope folks behaviour will change. I am quite comfortable socially distancing and will probably continue doing so. I feel quite comfortable leaving if it seems too crowded. Some venues and restaurants will not get a second visit if they are too crowded. I doubt I will eat in the buffet and if some clown coughs , I will not be slow in telling them where to go. In some respects we have been lucky in the past and need to learn from this.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

No more happy than I will be🤣. After all this is finished, one day, I hope folks behaviour will change. I am quite comfortable socially distancing and will probably continue doing so. I feel quite comfortable leaving if it seems too crowded. Some venues and restaurants will not get a second visit if they are too crowded. I doubt I will eat in the buffet and if some clown coughs , I will not be slow in telling them where to go. In some respects we have been lucky in the past and need to learn from this.

You do realise that the clown incident was made up by a second rate journalist 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

So many questions ? The answers lie somewhere in our future :classic_smile:

XFB_IMG_1606743093299.jpg.790fe61954f5aca94b959d5c81597acb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Here we go again? Apparently the vaccine delivery may be delayed after the delivery of the first doses, from the Mirror?

but NHS bosses fear an initial batch of 800,000 jabs may be all the UK gets for sometime, according to reports.

😨

Maybe the manufacturers are spreading the deliveries amongst all those who have ordered. Maybe ordering 40 million doses does not mean you are first in the queue.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Here we go again? Apparently the vaccine delivery may be delayed after the delivery of the first doses, from the Mirror?

but NHS bosses fear an initial batch of 800,000 jabs may be all the UK gets for sometime, according to reports.

😨

Maybe the manufacturers are spreading the deliveries amongst all those who have ordered. Maybe ordering 40 million doses does not mean you are first in the queue.

Since no one else has approved the vaccine as yet, it seems a little strange that Pfizer would limit their cash flow, assuming their production possibilities are as good as they state.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, davecttr said:

😨

The one advantage we have is that we are the only country that can currently use the vaccine. Contracts will likely determine who gets how many doses and when, but there seems little logic in stockpiling millions of doses for future use by other countries when we could use the current production and other countries could have new production if and when they approve it.

Comments such as this are concerning, certainly.  As is the constant chopping and changing over priority groups. It’s not as if there hasn’t been time to sort it out. Dido Harding isn’t running this is she?

Chris Hopson, the chief executive of NHS Providers, said that an initial 800,000 doses "could be the only batch we receive for some time".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Since no one else has approved the vaccine as yet, it seems a little strange that Pfizer would limit their cash flow, assuming their production possibilities are as good as they state.

Is the contract cash on delivery or have we already paid for the 40 million doses? Plus the production has to be ramped up which could take some time.

50 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Comments such as this are concerning, certainly.  As is the constant chopping and changing over priority groups. It’s not as if there hasn’t been time to sort it out. Dido Harding isn’t running this is she?

Chris Hopson, the chief executive of NHS Providers, said that an initial 800,000 doses "could be the only batch we receive for some time".

I can understand the Vaccine roll out in the Nursing homes and the front line staff.

What I do not get is why they have not then gone into the Tier 3 area's, followed then by 

Tier 2 taking out the areas that are more at risk of spreading covid further .

This would also help a lot of businesses that are suffering as they are closed .

Take the help to where it is needed the most seems natural to me.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, kalos said:

I can understand the Vaccine roll out in the Nursing homes and the front line staff.

What I do not get is why they have not then gone into the Tier 3 area's, followed then by 

This would also help a lot of businesses that are suffering as they are closed .

While we have the amount we do have for the next few months its more important to give the vaccine to the people who need it most not the areas.  There is no point in giving the vaccine to a 35 year old in Manchester compared to a 70 year old in Cornwall.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Is the contract cash on delivery or have we already paid for the 40 million doses? Plus the production has to be ramped up which could take some time.

We may have paid an initial contract fee  but I would hope we are paying the major part as we receive supplies.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bazrat said:

After you are 95% immunised not my words you can print off the relevant part of your medical records showing the immunisation, it will also have details of your doctors nhs no etc but would the country your visiting accept that proof.

I suspect they will have little way to check so they may have no choice. And your Doctor won't speak to them if they try to call to confirm. Not a chance in hell.

38 minutes ago, kalos said:

Since everyone keeps bleating about the vaccine possibly not preventing you passing it on, then keeping to the priority listing seems far more sensible. Boris and his SAGE hands are saying that the restrictions will need to be maintained until at least all the vulnerable and elderly are vaccinated, so your proposal would not help the economy anyway.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Since everyone keeps bleating about the vaccine possibly not preventing you passing it on, then keeping to the priority listing seems far more sensible. Boris and his SAGE hands are saying that the restrictions will need to be maintained until at least all the vulnerable and elderly are vaccinated, so your proposal would not help the economy anyway.

Thinking about it more, you and Dinglebert are probably right .

Just looked at it as a fire in a field ,I would want to put out the blaze first (Tier3) and damp 

down the scorched ground last ,so to speak. So as we we have limited stocks of the vaccine

then I suppose Boris and his SAGE mates are doing the right thing after all.:classic_smile:

• Like 2