New vaccine

hollyjess

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

OK - just to settle things down.

Vaccination is a good thing, and everyone that can, should be vaccinated. 

If you are vaccinated,  you will still get CV19,  but will not get ill.

If you are vaccinated, no one knows at the moment if you will pass on the disease if you have it.

So, yes, a cruise where every one is vaccinated will be fine.

However, will countries that have not fully vaccinated their population allow cruise passengers ashore?

Is that a fair summation of the current situation?  

I disagree with your statement that "If you are vaccinated   you will still get Covid19, but will not get ill".

My understanding of how all vaccines work is that if you come into contact with the virus, your immune system will recognise it and attack the virus so that it is prevented from multiplying  which in essence is what happens if you're not vaccinated.

Seems like the cruise ships may be sailing fairly empty for a while then..

Either they insist on everybody being vaccinated, in which case those who have not been called for their vaccine can't board (hey, no kids' clubs anymore).

Or they do not insist, in which case those who are saying that everybody should be vaccinated will decline to board because of all those unvaccinated people they will be mingling with.....

1 hour ago, Chrisdriving said:

To be expected i suppose seeing as it has obviously been rushed through testing simply not enough time to be sure of anything.

"Rushed" implies that corners have been cut, which is not the case. 

1 hour ago, Chrisdriving said:

Truth is they do not know if any of these Vaccines will stop transmission, same as they dont know if it will affect pregnant women or be a risk to transplant patients.

To be expected i suppose seeing as it has obviously been rushed through testing simply not enough time to be sure of anything.

And people are apparently falling over each other in the rush to have it.

You’re right about the transmission, which is still an unknown, and as I understand it pregnant women, or potentially pregnant women, won’t be given the vaccine.

Transplant patients are an entirely different case.

But the suggestion that things have been rushed through is against the evidence, and unhelpful. And very much disputed by those who probably know rather more than we do.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nosapphire said:

Seems like the cruise ships may be sailing fairly empty for a while then..

Either they insist on everybody being vaccinated, in which case those who have not been called for their vaccine can't board (hey, no kids' clubs anymore).

Or they do not insist, in which case those who are saying that everybody should be vaccinated will decline to board because of all those unvaccinated people they will be mingling with.....

A very good point. I will have to seriously think about cruising if it is a free for all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I disagree with your statement that "If you are vaccinated   you will still get Covid19, but will not get ill".

My understanding of how all vaccines work is that if you come into contact with the virus, your immune system will recognise it and attack the virus so that it is prevented from multiplying  which in essence is what happens if you're not vaccinated.

Yes, I could have worded it differently. But, I think the point remains that individuals who have been innoculted could potentially still transmit the virus, hence the continued need for masks and social distancing, as mentioned in the post about Sky News earlier.

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, I could have worded it differently. But, I think the point remains that individuals who have been innoculted could potentially still transmit the virus, hence the continued need for masks and social distancing, as mentioned in the post about Sky News earlier.

But if the vaccine does work correctly and stops it reproducing  then there will be nothing to pass on, surely?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, tring said:

Looking at a government website, it would add up to about 60 million people above 70, whilst this data gives 9.02 million, so quite a discrepancy.  I feel inclined to believe the government site, but do you have some further information about how your figures were determined?

The total U.K. population is a little under 70m, so there can’t be 60m over 70. The 9m figure sounds accurate to me, given that there are around 3.4m people over 80. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But if the vaccine does work correctly and stops it reproducing  then there will be nothing to pass on, surely?

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to that. As you said, the vaccine enables the body to overcome the virus, but  during the period that the antibodies get to work, will individuals still be potential sources of transmission?

55 minutes ago, tring said:

Looking at a government website, it would add up to about 60 million people above 70, whilst this data gives 9.02 million, so quite a discrepancy.  I feel inclined to believe the government site, but do you have some further information about how your figures were determined?

So if the UK population is about 67 million and you reckon 60m are above 70 that means .........are you sure?🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to that. As you said, the vaccine enables the body to overcome the virus, but  during the period that the antibodies get to work, will individuals still be potential sources of transmission?

If the vaccine works as expected your immune system will make antibodies and T cells which will kill the infected cell, typically most people will not transmit the virus, however you can still be a carrier and spread a virus as you can spread it by touch. The virus will diminish over time as more people have the required protection. This is following the science based on many years of how previous vaccines have worked, we know this one is a bit different but there is a lot of information out there especially from the previous SARS virus. 

To say the vaccine was rushed is scare mongering which was probably not intended. Because of the urgency priority has been given to the development, at massive cost. A lot of the building blocks for the various vaccines were already in place as was the intelligence. I would have put money on a vaccine not being available till at least 2022 when covid first dug in, having had a career in the Pharma industry and being a manufacturer of flu vaccines. The usually time frame is years albeit most of that is spent reviewing the data after clinical trials and then approving it, in effect the vaccine will be on trial for years to come and the effects will be discussed accordingly on this site.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

If the vaccine works as expected your immune system will make antibodies and T cells which will kill the infected cell, typically most people will not transmit the virus, however you can still be a carrier and spread a virus as you can spread it by touch. The virus will diminish over time as more people have the required protection. This is following the science based on many years of how previous vaccines have worked, we know this one is a bit different but there is a lot of information out there especially from the previous SARS virus. 

To say the vaccine was rushed is scare mongering which was probably not intended. Because of the urgency priority has been given to the development, at massive cost. A lot of the building blocks for the various vaccines were already in place as was the intelligence. I would have put money on a vaccine not being available till at least 2022 when covid first dug in, having had a career in the Pharma industry and being a manufacturer of flu vaccines. The usually time frame is years albeit most of that is spent reviewing the data after clinical trials and then approving it, in effect the vaccine will be on trial for years to come and the effects will be discussed accordingly on this site.

That is exactly what I thought. Having spent a lifetime in construction material technology, I wouldn't disagree with anything in your post. I am sure your expert knowledge will convince the armchair experts to change their views. Not.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I have a tiny question. What defines a potentially pregnant woman ?

I put that badly. Here’s what Public Health England say (and I do like the Suffolk dialect in the header!):

What this mean for you

Here are the key points you should consider until we have more evidence:

• if you are pregnant you should not be vaccinated – you can be vaccinated after your pregnancy is over
  • if you think you may be pregnant you should delay vaccination until you are sure you are not
  • if you are planning to get pregnant in the next 3 months, you should delay your vaccination
  • if you know you are not pregnant you can start the two-dose course now and you should avoid getting pregnant until at least 2 months after the second dose
  • if you have had the first dose and then become pregnant you should delay the second dose until after the pregnancy is over

If you are breastfeeding you should wait until you have finished breastfeeding and then have the vaccine. If you were breastfeeding when you had the first dose you are advised not to have the second dose until you have finished breastfeeding.

This advice is precautionary until additional evidence is available to support the use of this vaccine in pregnancy and breastfeeding. It may then be possible to have the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Until that advice is changed you may be able to have one of the other COVID-19 vaccines that are expected.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I put that badly. Here’s what Public Health England say (and I do like the Suffolk dialect in the header!):

What this mean for you

Here are the key points you should consider until we have more evidence:

• if you are pregnant you should not be vaccinated – you can be vaccinated after your pregnancy is over
  • if you think you may be pregnant you should delay vaccination until you are sure you are not
  • if you are planning to get pregnant in the next 3 months, you should delay your vaccination
  • if you know you are not pregnant you can start the two-dose course now and you should avoid getting pregnant until at least 2 months after the second dose
  • if you have had the first dose and then become pregnant you should delay the second dose until after the pregnancy is over

If you are breastfeeding you should wait until you have finished breastfeeding and then have the vaccine. If you were breastfeeding when you had the first dose you are advised not to have the second dose until you have finished breastfeeding.

This advice is precautionary until additional evidence is available to support the use of this vaccine in pregnancy and breastfeeding. It may then be possible to have the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Until that advice is changed you may be able to have one of the other COVID-19 vaccines that are expected.

Thanks for that, honestly thank you for taking the time. Some on here will point out that this statement doesn't mention women🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, kalos said:

🎶 Let me Sleep On It And I'll Give You An Answer In The Morning 🎶 :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

So says the great Meatloaf.

Thanks for posting the lyric, I now have to get the song back out of my head where it will otherwise circulate for at least the rest of the day and probably longer 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thanks for that, honestly thank you for taking the time. Some on here will point out that this statement doesn't mention women🤣

Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies. FRANCIS: Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have babies, brother.

• Like 1

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

Someone who throws their frillies at Gary... 😊

I'm avoiding mentioning that person, but can assure you that my frillies will not be thrown in his direction, now Bjork on the Iceland cruise is another thing.🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Is Bjork actually a woman? just asking for a friend.

Yea, right. What's your friend's name ?. Bjork is an Icelandic Lady who sings like a little angel. She is also the only Icelandic artist that I know. I thought I would recommend her to P&O's for their Icelandic itineraries. I don't plan going on any, but can imagine the reaction in the Limelight club. That would be interesting🤣.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Yea, right. What's your friend's name ?. Bjork is an Icelandic Lady who sings like a little angel. She is also the only Icelandic artist that I know. I thought I would recommend her to P&O's for their Icelandic itineraries. I don't plan going on any, but can imagine the reaction in the Limelight club. That would be interesting🤣.

She is going to work in the library... 😊

Andy