A new twist on scam phone calls?

32 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I got a call recently saying I was about to be arrested but if I wanted to avoid the arrest I could press 1 to talk to Homeland Security to arrange a payment.Ā 

Ā 

Needless to say I just hang up and so far I haven't been arrested but I did have a good laugh about it.

Both my self and son in law who is a police sergeant wereĀ going to gaol too if we didn'tĀ contact them straight away but ours was the ATO. We tend to not answer any calls from numbers we don't know and if it is important, it will go to voice mail and they can leave a message.

Ā 

Leigh

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Both my self and son in law who is a police sergeant wereĀ going to gaol too if we didn'tĀ contact them straight away but ours was the ATO. We tend to not answer any calls from numbers we don't know and if it is important, it will go to voice mail and they can leave a message.

Ā 

Leigh

We've had a few of those too. These days, unless we recognise the number, we don't answer and let it go to voicemail.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Ā We tend to not answer any calls from numbers we don't know and if it is important, it will go to voice mail and they can leave a message.

Ā 

Leigh

I try to do that as well but was expecting a call and sometimes they don't call back on the number I call them. Lucky we are smarter than them and just hang up.Ā 

Ā 

And now I read the scam invoices have increased.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-24/business-email-scam-tradies-computer-hacked-costs-51000/12817584

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Ā 

Leigh

We had that 'ATO' call a couple of times, but not for at least a couple of years. Once again, I have fun with them. "What is my full name? What is my date of birth? With the ATO, what is my tax file number? If you are who you say you are, you would have that information."

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Wow..... what next.......lol

Ā 

Only a few times do a talk to them,Ā  as it is always a bad time when they ring......

Ā 

But i did have one from the Telstra Tech Department, who i had some fun with..... just to see what the scam was..... they want me to allow them to remotely connect to my laptop....

Any way he took me thought all the steps.... ( which I didn't do )

Then I told him the screen went blank.... andĀ asked what do i do now...

and told him he had broken my computer..... he hung up..

Ā 

Don

I recall seeing an hilariousĀ  You Tube video like that a couple of years ago. The caller inadvertently called the number of an anti spam techy guy who proceeded to have a lot of fun pretending to cooperate with the caller who wanted to remotely access his computer. The spammer was trying to guide the guy by telling him what to click on the screen. The problem for the caller was the techy was using Linux, all the time pretending to be cooperating, but nothing was matching with what the caller was trying to describe. IIRC this went on for 20 minutes or more with the caller getting more and more frustrated and techy guy trying not to burst into laughter. I'll try and find it and put a kink here.

47 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I try to do that as well but was expecting a call and sometimes they don't call back on the number I call them. Lucky we are smarter than them and just hang up.Ā 

Ā 

And now I read the scam invoices have increased.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-24/business-email-scam-tradies-computer-hacked-costs-51000/12817584

That business scam is a shocker.

I have played with one who was ringing to inform me that my internet from a company I dont use was playing up and he could "fix" it if I did some things for him..(ie allow him remote access to pc).

Oh OK was my reply and blah blah blah I got "are you sitting in front of the computer?",

I am now,

"Ok what program are you running?"

"Windows" I said,

"OK what is on your screen?"..............

"um, what do you mean" I said,

"What is on your screen, what dose it say?"......

"It says nothing" I said

Ok what is shown on your screen? what can you see?".....

"Nothing, its black"

blah blah blah

"please press a button on the keyboard" he said, Nope "nothing" I responded

He said you must be seeing something...this went on for a bit and eventually he asked is the computer on.....I replied "No its unplugged...you didn't tell me to turn it on!"........he then hung up me šŸ˜ž

Ā 

cya

Ā 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I like that Les....next time somebody rings about the NBN... I will have to ask they what is this NBN they talk of.......

Ā 

Don

When I get a call from the 'NBN', I asked them in an excited voice if they have called to tell me when we are going to get connected to the NBN. The answer is always "No ma'am, we are calling about your internet line".

Ā 

We have two phone lines at our house because the quality of our phone line is so poor we cannot run a computer, telephone and monitored alarm on one phone line. šŸ˜  When they call the line that isn't connected to the internet and start talking about my internet problems, I let them go through their whole story then say "Wow! That is amazing when you can see that there is something wrong with my internet when there is no internet connected to this phone line." Of course, they think I don't know what I am talking about. They always say "I am not talking about you telephone, I am talking about your computer". It is very difficult to get them to understand that these lines are as separate as if they are in different houses. Usually they just hang up after I have had some fun, but one caller asked me for the number that is connected to the internet. I told him he had to be joking and hung up. It is not unusual for both phones to ring at the same time or within a minute or two of each other. That is funny for my husband who has a handset for both lines on his desk. Sometimes he is talking to a caller on one phone when the other one rings. He then talks to both at once. Maybe he should hold the handsets together and let them talk to each other.šŸ˜

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

When I get a call from the 'NBN', I asked them in an excited voice if they have called to tell me when we are going to get connected to the NBN. The answer is always "No ma'am, we are calling about your internet line".

Ā 

We have two phone lines at our house because the quality of our phone line is so poor we cannot run a computer, telephone and monitored alarm on one phone line. šŸ˜  When they call the line that isn't connected to the internet and start talking about my internet problems, I let them go through their whole story then say "Wow! That is amazing when you can see that there is something wrong with my internet when there is no internet connected to this phone line." Of course, they think I don't know what I am talking about. They always say "I am not talking about you telephone, I am talking about your computer". It is very difficult to get them to understand that these lines are as separate as if they are in different houses. Usually they just hang up after I have had some fun, but one caller asked me for the number that is connected to the internet. I told him he had to be joking and hung up. It is not unusual for both phones to ring at the same time or within a minute or two of each other. That is funny for my husband who has a handset for both lines on his desk. Sometimes he is talking to a caller on one phone when the other one rings. He then talks to both at once. Maybe he should hold the handsets together and let them talk to each other.šŸ˜

Ohh that reminds of something that happen a quite a few years ago

Ā 

My mum's place had two phone lines....( one forĀ the internetĀ )

Ā 

AnywayĀ  telly marketerĀ rang on main phone ( a walkaround phone ) then the second line rang took the phone with we answered it andĀ put the two phone together... and listened...Ā  as they said hello to each other... took them about 30 sec before they realised they were talking to another telly marketer

Ā 

Don

Ā 

Ā 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I like that Les....next time somebody rings about the NBN... I will have to ask they what is this NBN they talk of.......

Ā 

Don

Yes Don, tell them you spend all your money on cruises and Jacob Creek RieslingĀ so cannot afford a puter or mobile phone, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe he should hold the handsets together and let them talk to each other.

Ā 

59 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

AnywayĀ  telly marketerĀ rang on main phone ( a walkaround phone ) then the second line rang took the phone with we answered it andĀ put the two phone together... and listened...Ā  as they said hello to each other... took them about 30 sec before they realised they were talking to another telly marketer

Ā 

I remember a radio show that use to do that as an on air prank. They didn't do it to scammers though perhaps that is something they should try in the futurešŸ˜‚

On 11/24/2020 at 3:57 PM, Chiliburn said:

Well Royal Caribbean are asking for volunteers.

Ā 

You folks need to live on the edge.

Ā 

Ā 

LOL

What did I miss I am always ready to put my life on the lineĀ  lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

What did I miss I am always ready to put my life on the lineĀ  lol

Get me ticket on the RCL test cruise, as long as they provide free booze, no worries. I never been on the dark side with RCI.Ā  Celebrity yes, RCI, no.

On the subject of scam calls, we have now got one on the old story "You have had an accident recently ...." We haven't had one of those for a year or two. The calls may not really be scams, but are probably looking for 'leads' that they will pass on to a law firm in Australia to receive commission.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

What do they do? Like listen to swing music, bit of ye olde Michael Buble or Frank Sinatra or something like that?Ā šŸ‘©ā€ā¤ļøā€šŸ’‹ā€šŸ‘Ø

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Wow! That is amazing but I won't be booking.šŸ™‚

Yeh ,thatā€™s not really what youā€™re thinking is it.

Me and @NSWPĀ Uncle Les are going under cover ,DEAPTHROUGHT.

We are just in negotiationsĀ who is going to be mommy or daddy.

Edited by Chiliburn

Just now, Chiliburn said:

Yeh ,thatā€™s not really what youā€™re thinking is it.

Me and @NSWPĀ Uncle Les are going under cover ,DEAPTHROUGHT.

We are just in notation who is going to be mommy or daddy.

If Les is thinking about swing music, he is going to be in for a shock. However, I am sure he knows what it is all about. šŸ˜‰

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If Les is thinking about swing music, he is going to be in for a shock. However, I am sure he knows what it is all about. šŸ˜‰

Did my apprenticeship walking the beat at Darlo and Kings Cross, back in the mid to late sixties, been there, seen that, lol.šŸ‘®ā€ā™‚ļø

• Thanks 1