River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

And I got it backwards, it should have been "gh" as in enough, not 'f".

2 hours ago, TheKingD said:

A much more fun word to talk about is Dagnabit!  Or Pshaw!

IMG_8803.jpeg.93e43f0b37dbea7076ce8c27f93b288e.jpeg

… I just discovered that I spelled dagnabbit wrong.

• Haha 1

I struggled through Latin a bit, it was alright for the first two years but then I kind of lost interest when it got more challenging. Still, knowing Latin got me a job offer that I nearly took, but then I decided on a different job. The one where I got to know Jim from New York over the phone.

A history teacher of mine told us in class once that he had met a priest on a train journey. Their only common language was Latin so they conversed in that.

notamermaid

9 hours ago, gnome12 said:

And we Canadians have a hybrid of UK and US English. We keep the "u" in neighbour and colour, but use the American "ize" endings.

One difference in the Canadian/American language is in reciting of the alphabet - specifically, the last letter.

In Canada, "Z" is pronounced "ZED"...  In the US it is "ZEE".

Fran

27 minutes ago, franski said:

One difference in the Canadian/American language is in reciting of the alphabet - specifically, the last letter.

In Canada, "Z" is pronounced "ZED"...  In the US it is "ZEE".

Fran

Again, that is the UK pronunciation. It isn’t uniquely Canadian. 

@Host Jazzbeau Thank you for pinning the water levels 2024. Here is to perfect sailing conditions for all, on all waterways, lakes, ponds and puddles, much fun, good food and drink and lots of fantastic memories for them to take home. Cheers! 🍷

[holding actual glass of red wine and toasting in direction of "my" river].

notamermaid

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

And Hmmmmmmmm now what was that other thing they were reputed to do?

Gnome12 it is our pronunciation when we all use the same and theirs when we do not. Note the i in theirs denoting belonging to them it is one of so called rules I do remember. 
At least we don’t have as the French do a specific body to keep our languages pure, the  Academie Francaise.

In the U.K. The Oxford English dictionary’s lists the most used new words of the previous year and adds them to the dictionary, I must admit (tongue in cheek) nanny state or what but it is useful for Scrabble, not a game we play DH hates it with a passion, non reader more a spoken word listener type of guy.

Edited by Canal archive

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

At least we don’t have as the French do a specific body to keep our languages pure, the  Academie Francaise.

The Academie is nothing compared to Quebec's Office de la Langue Française, which is much stricter. At least France allows STOP on stop signs. Quebec insists on ÂRRET.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

The Academie is nothing compared to Quebec's Office de la Langue Française, which is much stricter. At least France allows STOP on stop signs. Quebec insists on ÂRRET.

Quebec May be the only political subdivision that prohibits KFC.

Don’t forget Rat für deutsche Rechtschreibung. 

IMG_8812.webp

Edited by CPT Trips

Quebec is a whole different thing....they "preserve" their language, but it's become so full of slang in everyday usage that it would hurt the ears of .Les Français.  I remember having a lot of fun with our CD on the Rhine cruise, she was from Belgium and didn't care for our "oui" ( comes out more as a drawn out waay) our "onjou" for Bon Jour. 

And don't forget les Cheins Chauds... 🙂

le-chien-chaud.jpg

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Daisi said:

Quebec is a whole different thing....they "preserve" their language, but it's become so full of slang in everyday usage that it would hurt the ears of .Les Français.  I remember having a lot of fun with our CD on the Rhine cruise, she was from Belgium and didn't care for our "oui" ( comes out more as a drawn out waay) our "onjou" for Bon Jour. 

And don't forget les Cheins Chauds... 🙂

le-chien-chaud.jpg

How are they getting away with “grilled cheese”??

7 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

How are they getting away with “grilled cheese”??

Lol.. .they tried... it was "le Sandwich au formage fondant", but I guess the public balked and in 2017 they allowed grilled cheese.  The language police have allowed a few english words to slip in - "smash", "baby boon" to name a few, and most big chain stores were allowed to keep their english names, but every once in a while, they get out to the anglo areas and fine the stores that aren't complying. 

Ohh wow what a can of worms. Language is so so important why oh why do some have to be so precious about it we need - especially these days to understand each other more and more.
Mind you my most interesting times have been listening to groups of Girl Guides and Boy Scouts from around the world attempting to converse with each other what absolute fun!

• Like 1

Wow, that is quite strict in Quebec.

Many people here frown upon too many "Anglizismen", English words that are used instead of German ones and ever more often unnecessarily or confusingly. I have read of one or two times only when a company was admonished, not sure that there was a fine involved. That was when it went so far as to confuse the consumer "beyond tolerance", as I will put it. I tolerate a lot but will not accept "hi" when being addressed.

notamermaid

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Ohh wow what a can of worms. Language is so so important why oh why do some have to be so precious about it we need - especially these days to understand each other more and more.
Mind you my most interesting times have been listening to groups of Girl Guides and Boy Scouts from around the world attempting to converse with each other what absolute fun!

We had lunch at a restaurant in Belgrade, “?”, that had a separate room for non-Serbian speakers. Although multilingual menus were provided, the waiters spoke English to everyone and there was a surprising amount of table to table conversation. 

Iceland has some sort of commission that creates new words for new things so that words from other languages need not be adopted.  They combine Icelandic words to create new ones.  One of the funniest, I think, is that their word for "computer" is made by combining Icelandic words for "magic" and "machine".  So in Icelandic, an computer is literally a magic machine!!

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Have you ever heard Welsh spoken? It’s wonderfully interspersed with English words, although Wales is in the process of changing everything it can to Welsh, could be interesting.

I spent a wonderful Saturday evening once (on a cycling trip) in a pub in Wales that had a Saturday evening sing-along in Welsh and in English, with provided lyric booklets. I had fun singing along to This Land is Your Land in Welsh.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I tolerate a lot but will not accept "hi" when being addressed.

notamermaid

I'm glad I read this before meeting you.  Because otherwise I would definitely have said "Hi, notamermaid, I'm so glad to meet you" [or even 'meetcha']  :classic_ohmy:

I took one semester of German in Library School, but none of it stuck...

• Like 1

My new to senior school grandson is still trying to make his case to learn German instead of French so has asked his Grandad for a new German word every week during their FaceTime chats. At least DH says it’s making him relearn his German.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm glad I read this before meeting you.  Because otherwise I would definitely have said "Hi, notamermaid, I'm so glad to meet you" [or even 'meetcha']  :classic_ohmy:

I took one semester of German in Library School, but none of it stuck...

Not to worry, I meant my fellow Germans. I know Americans use the hi a lot. A lot of people say that English is easier to learn at the beginning and you can form coherent, correct, sentences more quickly than in German. I tend to agree.

notamermaid

• Like 1

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Not to worry, I meant my fellow Germans. I know Americans use the hi a lot. A lot of people say that English is easier to learn at the beginning and you can form coherent, correct, sentences more quickly than in German. I tend to agree.

notamermaid

That is my thought.  As long as you don't try to write it you don't have to worry about spelling...