Feeling a Little "Horny"

cjknox

(Mods don't panic at the title 🤣)

One of my favorite aspects of cruising is hearing the ships blast their horns; especially at each other.

Since we're all stuck at home, this is the next best thing (loud audio warning):

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cjknox said:

(Mods don't panic at the title 🤣)

One of my favorite aspects of cruising is hearing the ships blast their horns; especially at each other.

Since we're all stuck at home, this is the next best thing (loud audio warning):

Love it, thanks for the reality check.

• Like 1

We were doing a 3 generational family cruise on the Disney Dream when it was new and the Discovery shuttle had launched from across the bay the hour before we sailed - very memorable hearing the wish upon a star theme horn sounding as we began our adventure.

1 minute ago, pe4all said:

One of my favorite parts of cruising is when there is a horn battle between ships and/or ship lines.  Especially love the Disney horns!

The first tought I had on reading the title was this should not be allowed on Cruise Critic.  Then I read the actual post.  It's just me.  Then I got a big smile on my face.  You are absolutely right. I enjoy hearing those ship horns along with a couple of hundred other passengers.  I guess we all get horny when we cruise.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

We were doing a 3 generational family cruise on the Disney Dream when it was new and the Discovery shuttle had launched from across the bay the hour before we sailed - very memorable hearing the wish upon a star theme horn sounding as we began our adventure.

We were on the MSC Orchestra in St Maarten and a sister MSC ship came in and they saluted each other. The Dream was docked there and after they finished, she let off with when you wish upon a star.  First time I had heard it and wife turned to me and said, DIsney, even the horns are top notch.

20 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Last summer in the port of San Diego, the Disney Wonder and the Holland ship had a horn battle. People loved it.

Our first Disney cruise was on the Dream on a TA starting in Barcelona.  At that time the port held four cruise ships, with the Dream closest to the harbor entrance/exit.    When the first ship out (RCL I think?) sailed past the Dream and let loose its horn, you could hear it echo through the city.  Cool.  But then the Dream responded, and it was a surprise to me, and I think many on board.   All of us up on the top deck raised our arms and cheered, like "take that!"   A fun memory.

• Like 2

Oh man... along with everyone else whose cruising plans have been turned inside out, hubby and I have been majorly impacted with having to cancel multiple cruises over the last 8 months.  We're lucky to be able to cruise when we do, and we joke all the time that it's kinda sucking to be stuck in Canada for winter, but oh well, ya gotta roll with the punches, right? Staying healthy is important and this too shall pass.

But this thread? I actually started crying watching the horn battles... This is by far the most emotional I've been about travel and disrupted lives in general since the whole Covid thing started. I've literally got tears rolling down my cheeks as I type this.  I miss it all so much... I miss being able to travel with the amazing friends we've met through cruising over the years, I miss meeting new people and seeing all the door decorations, I miss giggling like kids as we wait to board the ship on embarkation day, I miss the ocean breezes and the incredible crew on the ships, I miss being truly happy every moment while cruising.  I miss it more than I realized until this very moment.

I just sincerely hope that cruising will get back to whatever we all feel is an acceptable "normal" before too long... and that we can all stay healthy enough to be able to cruise when that actually does happen.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our extended American cruising family and friends... stay healthy and be kind to each other. 

Celine

• Like 1

You probably should have put "[SFW]" in the title.  (It means "safe for work", opposite of the more common "[NSFW]", or "not safe for work".)  I waited until today to read this thread, because I last accessed Cruise Critic on a work computer, and the word "horny" put me off.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

DH and I were sailing on a Holland America ship one Christmas week and there were many ships leaving Port Everglades that day. We were sitting on our balcony when a Disney ship pulled out and its horn was playing When You Wish Upon a Star. Then a Princess ship pulled out and its horn was playing the theme from Love Boat. It was so cool to hear them and people on the other various ships were cheering. Ah, the good old days of cruising - hope we get to do it in 2021!