What side is better on a New England and Canada cruise.

Topdog52

It's also depends on the Ports you will be visiting. Looks like you will be leaving from Boston.

I think you will be visiting Prince Ed Island, Sydney (NS), Halifax, Portland (MA) and Bar Harbor according to the Internet.

Bar Harbor is a Tender Port. It will remain in the harbor and tender to port which can be about 10 -15 min ride. Bar Harbor is our most favorite port of call.

Halifax and Portland are docking ports. We like Halifax very much which many past visits.

I can't remember PEI port that we visited quite some time ago.

It also depends on the position that the Captain wants to use which assists him on leaving the port.

Like the previous poster says, it may depend on the position that the Captain wants to use.  Makes sense to be on deck and have access to both sides as you approach and depart ports. I don't remember much to see as we went between ports.  Even on the approach to Quebec, we were pretty close before there was much to take pictures of (even with my 200mm lens).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 6:03 PM, Ashland said:

I'm booked on a Canada/NE cruise in Oct 2021 also...and hoping we actually sail.

I realize that this Oct 2021 cruise was canceled, but we're considering one in 2022.  Is there a significant different (e.g., weather) between these Canada/NE cruises in September versus October?  Is October getting "too late"?  Comparing two sailings on Celebrity... a mid-September versus an early October cruise (same itinerary), I note the September sailing looks to be more booked than the October sailing.

It will be chillier the later you go.

I'd say the best chance for foliage would be a trip in very late September or early October.  You are likely to find color somewhere between Boston and Bar Harbor at that time on an excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the fall foliage cruise September 11- 22 of 2016.  We thought we would see lots of fall colors on the trees, but we didn't.  Because the ports of call have a maritime climate, the leaves turn color later than they do inland.  I'd go in October.

On 2/11/2021 at 7:49 AM, colliercruiser said:

I realize that this Oct 2021 cruise was canceled, but we're considering one in 2022.  Is there a significant different (e.g., weather) between these Canada/NE cruises in September versus October?  Is October getting "too late"?  Comparing two sailings on Celebrity... a mid-September versus an early October cruise (same itinerary), I note the September sailing looks to be more booked than the October sailing.

Early October is perfect !! I'm waiting for RCI to post their 2022 schedule to L/S my booking which I've been given the option to do from my RCI cancelled Oct 2021cruise.

• 2 months later...

One of the Captains always told us to book the starboard side.  Most of the ports dock on the starboard side, BUT of course sometimes things don't work out because of other ships etc.  We do book Starboard now and usually get a good view.

SO that being said, who knows if our Enchantment in Sept 21 will actually go and if Canada will allow us in.  We're booked next year, 2022 on the Adventure so hopefully that one will go.    Very early October is a good time to sail.  You should see some foliage and the weather should be cooler.  We've done this cruise every year since 2007 and now we pick the very end of Sept and beginning of Oct.  Bring your woolies just in case.

• Like 1