Oasis Class Balcony Question

VT658768

Hi all.  I hope this type of post is permitted.  My brother and I have decided to surprise our parents with a cruise for the holidays.  We've decided on the Allure of the Seas.  The particular itinerary is likely going to be an 8 night eastern carribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale and stopping at Puerto Plata, DR; Charlotte Amalle, St. Thomas; Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, and Basseterre, St. Kitts.

I know that my parents love balcony rooms and I see there are many options on this class of ships.  I've narrowed it down to an ocean view balcony (based on their preference on past cruises).  My main goal is to put them in an unobstructed ocean view balcony that has a view of the ports while docked (is there one side of the ship that faces the ports I've listed above more than the other?).  Floor recommendations would also be appreciated.  Not many options left on the particular sailing i'm looking at but I at least have the ability to choose floor and side of ship.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: Here's the itinerary: 8 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Edited by VT658768
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, VT658768 said:

Hi all.  I hope this type of post is permitted.  My brother and I have decided to surprise our parents with a cruise for the holidays.  We've decided on the Allure of the Seas.  The particular itinerary is likely going to be an 8 night eastern carribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale and stopping at Puerto Plata, DR; Charlotte Amalle, St. Thomas; Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, and Basseterre, St. Kitts.

I know that my parents love balcony rooms and I see there are many options on this class of ships.  I've narrowed it down to an ocean view balcony (based on their preference on past cruises).  My main goal is to put them in an unobstructed ocean view balcony that has a view of the ports while docked (is there one side of the ship that faces the ports I've listed above more than the other?).  Floor recommendations would also be appreciated.  Not many options left on the particular sailing i'm looking at but I at least have the ability to choose floor and side of ship.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Everyone is different as I had a ocean view balcony and wished I'd booked a boardwalk balcony to see dive show, but it's my understanding the view is now blocked by something new added. It was sept and hot as blazes and I dont think I sat out once. Something to be said for about any location. The shows are well spread out to all areas of the ship. Comedy and bars kinda mid ship, theater in the front, and dive shows in the aft. Where will they eat mostly? Pay restaurants?  I ate in solarium a lot, it was a lot less crowded than buffet where I never could hardly find seating. So more front if they would eat there. Though johnny rockets is a dont miss for free breakfast or the cafe in the city park area for lunch. Everything is so spread out cant go wrong.

If I could have any I'd pick any aft view so you can see both sides. But allure has aqua suites back there, probably no regular aft balconys. 

There will never be any one side that always faces ports. The ship might have one side to the port one time and the other the next and some ports there is something to see on both sides. I think on a thred for same question, someone said port side seems to face more often he thought. I've done over 50 cruises and still dont know which side has faced the port more often.

Edited by firefly333

Can't help you much with the obstructed view, though it should be marked...if not call to check it.  

But I can help you with which side of the ship.   Oasis class (which includes Allure) docks almost 90% of the time on the Starboard side...designed to do so.  They will dock on port side when they have work to do on that side at port, or are doing drills on that side.  

May like the "tween" decks they call it...somewhere around deck 8 or 9...which gives you half way between the activities on the upper decks and the disembarkation deck.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Can't help you much with the obstructed view, though it should be marked...if not call to check it.  

But I can help you with which side of the ship.   Oasis class (which includes Allure) docks almost 90% of the time on the Starboard side...designed to do so.  They will dock on port side when they have work to do on that side at port, or are doing drills on that side.  

May like the "tween" decks they call it...somewhere around deck 8 or 9...which gives you half way between the activities on the upper decks and the disembarkation deck.  

Thank you.  This is exactly the info I was looking for.  Starboard side it is.  I'll take a look at those decks and see what's available!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Everyone is different as I had a ocean view balcony and wished I'd booked a boardwalk balcony to see dive show, but it's my understanding the view is now blocked by some new added. It was sept and hot as blazes and I dont think I sat out once. Something to be said for about any location. The shows are well spread out to all areas of the ship. Comedy and bars kinda make ship, theater in the front, and dive shows in the aft. 

If I could have any I'd pick any aft view so you can see both sides.

There will never be any one side that always faces ports. The ship might have one side to the port one time and the other the next and some ports there is something to see on both sides. I think on a thred for same question, someone said port side seems to face more often he thought. I've done over 50 cruises and still dont know which side has faced the port more often.

Oasis class are designed to dock on Starboard side, and will do so most of the time.  Only rarely will you see it docked to port.  

Just now, island lady said:

Oasis class are designed to dock on Starboard side, and will do so most of the time.  Only rarely will you see it docked to port.  

Good to know..when was asked before wasnt specific to this class. I'll remember when I book if allure ever gets to Galveston 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VT658768 said:

Thank you.  This is exactly the info I was looking for.  Starboard side it is.  I'll take a look at those decks and see what's available!

You are most welcome!  🙂  And welcome to Cruise Critic.  Hope your parents enjoy their cruise...what a very thoughtful thing for you to do!  

1 minute ago, island lady said:

You are most welcome!  🙂  And welcome to Cruise Critic.  Hope your parents enjoy their cruise...what a very thoughtful thing for you to do!  

Thanks.  I am hopeful the Covid situation works itself out before the Nov or Dec 2021 sailings im looking at.  I did see that Royal Caribbean is willing to allow a cancellation with credit to be used on a future cruise, so I am comfortable booking now and seeing what happens.

1 minute ago, VT658768 said:

Thanks.  I am hopeful the Covid situation works itself out before the Nov or Dec 2021 sailings im looking at.  I did see that Royal Caribbean is willing to allow a cancellation with credit to be used on a future cruise, so I am comfortable booking now and seeing what happens.

Good luck, and hope they make it.  I have several cruises booked for the end of the year...and just hoping we can go as well...at some point in the future.  🙂 

If I were booking a balcony for older people (parents), I'd try for one on deck eight. With central park and all of its amenities, it is always our "go to" deck (I'm 72 and DW is 66). Have not visited St Kitts on that class of ship yet, but in both St. Thomas and St. Martin unless they have work to do, they generally back in to the dock (port side to the dock). A starboard cabin (opposite side from the dock) would give you the best view of the island in both ports. A port side cabin would give you a relatively ugly view of the dock and the shops in both of those ports.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, orville99 said:

If I were booking a balcony for older people (parents), I'd try for one on deck eight. With central park and all of its amenities, it is always our "go to" deck (I'm 72 and DW is 66). Have not visited St Kitts on that class of ship yet, but in both St. Thomas and St. Martin unless they have work to do, they generally back in to the dock (port side to the dock). A starboard cabin (opposite side from the dock) would give you the best view of the island in both ports. A port side cabin would give you a relatively ugly view of the dock and the shops in both of those ports.

I tried to get a regular ocean view balcony on deck 8 as I saw a bunch of reviews stating it was the best location with Central Park nearby.  Unfortunately, there were no regular balconies left.  I ended up upgrading the room to a "large balcony" room and not only did they have a few rooms available on the 8th floor, but they had a balcony room available on the starboard side on the bump. I think it will be worth the price difference for them (it wasn't all that much more).  I pulled the trigger.  Hopefully I chose a date that works for them.  Either way, with the cancellation policy RC has in effect right now, I'll be covered (worst case scenario seems to be a cancellation on my end with a credit for a future cruise).   Thanks to all for the help.

Edited by VT658768
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, VT658768 said:

I tried to get a regular ocean view balcony on deck 8 as I saw a bunch of reviews stating it was the best location with Central Park nearby.  Unfortunately, there were no regular balconies left.  I ended up upgrading the room to a "large balcony" room and not only did they have a few rooms available on the 8th floor, but they had a balcony room available on the starboard side on the bump. I think it will be worth the price difference for them (it wasn't all that much more).  I pulled the trigger.  Hopefully I chose a date that works for them.  Either way, with the cancellation policy RC has in effect right now, I'll be covered (worst case scenario seems to be a cancellation on my end with a credit for a future cruise).   Thanks to all for the help.

Great choice. Love deck 8 on Oasis class ships. Just a walk away from Central Park, Trellis Bar & specialty restaurants. I have a large balcony on the hump deck 8 for my 3 Oasis cruises. Just now hoping my May 23 will actually sail. 

1 hour ago, VT658768 said:

Edit: Here's the itinerary: 8 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Deck 8 ocean view balcony.

We had cabin number 8568 on Allure, twice on Harmony and once on Oasis.

The bed is near the balcony which is best.

The location is ideal for Central Park,close but far enough from the elevators so no noise.

Graham

27 minutes ago, VT658768 said:

You scored a great room, congrats.  Your parents will love it.

33 minutes ago, VT658768 said:

You did good!   I enjoy the larger balcony with the hump cabins and it is not far from elevators, stairs, etc.     That is a wonderful gift and I am sure they will really appreciate and enjoy.

30 minutes ago, VT658768 said:

Great choice of balcony and deck.

9 hours ago, VT658768 said:

For a few dollars more well worth it for the extra space and location.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VT658768 said:

You did great!  Those bump out cabins are well worth it...and great location as far as decks go.  Many people love deck 8 for the reason posted earlier.  Hope they enjoy their cruise!  🙂 

16 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Deck 8 ocean view balcony.

We had cabin number 8568 on Allure, twice on Harmony and once on Oasis.

The bed is near the balcony which is best.

The location is ideal for Central Park,close but far enough from the elevators so no noise.

Graham

My favorite deck is 12...gives us the buffer of deck 14 against the noise of the pool deck overhead.  🙂 

On 12/18/2020 at 3:19 PM, VT658768 said:

I agree w/the poster above: There is no one correct side of the ship that has a great view of the port upon entrance into its harbor and exit upon departure. I've occupied balcony cabins where the harbor entrance view is terrific on either port or starboard. That said, please keep your curtains closed if your cabin faces the port if you don't want to offend the residents with your bodily appearance or romantic adventures on the balcony. OTOH, there are ports whose views suck regardless of whether your cabin is on either side of the ship. Here's an example of that situation for illustrative purposes. Let's say you're aboard a ship that is calling on Willemstad, Curacao. Anybody who has ever visited that port knows how the ship enters the port: through the channel with the town on the starboard side and the not so nice view on the port side. If your folks are in a balcony cabin on the starboard side, then they get a wonderful view of Willemstad. Then it changes for the worse as the ship continues towards the harbor ahead. Why? Because all you get is a view of the oil refineries and tanks while the ship does a 360 degree turn to approach its assigned berth on the other side of the town. Now your folks face either a barrio or the underside of that big bridge overhead. anybody who has cabin on that side of the ship has a terrific view of the town. 

Upon departure from Willemstad, the pax on the port side get a great view of the port, and all you can do to level the playing field is take the elevator above to a higher deck than the one your cabin is located to get that great view of WIllemstad. A more realistic scenario for you is what your parents will see upon entering the harbor for Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas: the views from either side of the ship--port or starboard--are spectacular! The view is so-so for Philipsburg, St. Maarten, but some of the hills are green there, too, but St. Thomas beats out any you'll see at Philipsburg. I can't advise you about Puerto Plata or Basseterre because I haven't been to those ports. Bottom line: Regardless of which side of the ship to book for your folks, the view will either be great or lousy depending on whether the ship enters the port or leaves it. 

If for your  parents, book near elevators.  Midship oceanview best with cabins above and below definitely.  I wouldn't recommend a boardwalk view cabin as they can be very noisy and not private- you look across and see into cabins, and they see into your cabin also.

Regardless of the side oceanview the best choice.  If you are on a budget, Central Park view, IMO the next best option as it is peaceful and private.  However, you can look across and see into other peoples cabins and visa versa.  

Regarding the view, I do believe it varies- also when the ship is docked sometimes you are facing another ship and do not see the port-you see the other ship.

Edited by Cruise a holic

10 hours ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

I agree w/the poster above: There is no one correct side of the ship that has a great view of the port upon entrance into its harbor and exit upon departure. I've occupied balcony cabins where the harbor entrance view is terrific on either port or starboard. That said, please keep your curtains closed if your cabin faces the port if you don't want to offend the residents with your bodily appearance or romantic adventures on the balcony. OTOH, there are ports whose views suck regardless of whether your cabin is on either side of the ship. Here's an example of that situation for illustrative purposes. Let's say you're aboard a ship that is calling on Willemstad, Curacao. Anybody who has ever visited that port knows how the ship enters the port: through the channel with the town on the starboard side and the not so nice view on the port side. If your folks are in a balcony cabin on the starboard side, then they get a wonderful view of Willemstad. Then it changes for the worse as the ship continues towards the harbor ahead. Why? Because all you get is a view of the oil refineries and tanks while the ship does a 360 degree turn to approach its assigned berth on the other side of the town. Now your folks face either a barrio or the underside of that big bridge overhead. anybody who has cabin on that side of the ship has a terrific view of the town. 

Upon departure from Willemstad, the pax on the port side get a great view of the port, and all you can do to level the playing field is take the elevator above to a higher deck than the one your cabin is located to get that great view of WIllemstad. A more realistic scenario for you is what your parents will see upon entering the harbor for Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas: the views from either side of the ship--port or starboard--are spectacular! The view is so-so for Philipsburg, St. Maarten, but some of the hills are green there, too, but St. Thomas beats out any you'll see at Philipsburg. I can't advise you about Puerto Plata or Basseterre because I haven't been to those ports. Bottom line: Regardless of which side of the ship to book for your folks, the view will either be great or lousy depending on whether the ship enters the port or leaves it. 

OP was asking about a view of the port and which side for Allure.  As many of us have stated, and the OP is now aware of...Oasis class ships mainly dock on the starboard side, which they are designed to do.  He wanted his parents to have dock side view....so starboard it is.  

• Thanks 1