Where are the test cruises?

53 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Uncle Ronnie says essential workers are firefighters, police, corrections workers, postal workers, teachers and school staff, food, agricultural and manufacturing workers, public transit workers and grocery store workers.

And as a Florida LEO, I can attest to the reality that all of those groups come after the 65+ group. My detail Commander still has not received any guidance on when our unit will be up for our jabs. If we wer not both over 65, we'd still be waiting on info as to when we would be in line. He essentially flipped the green and pink lines in his distribution strategy

Capture.JPG

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

During TS Faye, we were scheduled to sail out of Port Canaveral. Because the channel was silted in, our ship had to dock at a terminal in Port Everglades that was not being used by any of the lines at that time. We were bussed from PC to Port everglades, and went directly from the bus into the terminal. All of the luggage was delivered by trucks directly into the screening area. Anyone who was not on that cruise would have had no idea that the ship docked there was getting ready to set sail, because there was none of the external traffic/commotion/etc. visible from outside of the terminal itself. It can be done quietly if the cruise line wants it to be done quietly.

Sorry but you are wrong, EVERYONE knew what was going on, because that ship was not supposed to be there, nor were the convoys of trucks and buses; you are helping to prove my point; the logistics of this make it near impossible to be done in secret.  Besides, when the test cruises are done (if they ever occur) all the data will be a matter of public record. Why the need for secrecy?

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

What are the odds of someone being born during the Spanish flu and still needing a vaccine 102 yrs later for a second pandemic.  There are plenty of people over a hundred years old as rep daily on the Today Show.

You're assuming that a Spanish Flu vaccine was given as a baby.

Also, part of the problem in rolling out the vaccine is on the storage end.  I was reading where it needs sub-zero refrigerators of between 95-99 degrees below zero.  Only 6 hospitals in NJ have that capability.

The Johnson & Johnson version which is is tentatively scheduled for February does not require refrigeration. 

Edited by nelblu

46 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Also, part of the problem in rolling out the vaccine is on the storage end.  I was reading where it needs sub-zero refrigerators of between 95-99 degrees below zero.  Only 6 hospitals in NJ have that capability.

The Johnson & Johnson version which is is tentatively scheduled for February does not require refrigeration. 

The Moderna vaccine that is also available now only requires a regular refrigerator 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Sorry but you are wrong, EVERYONE knew what was going on, because that ship was not supposed to be there, nor were the convoys of trucks and buses; you are helping to prove my point; the logistics of this make it near impossible to be done in secret.  Besides, when the test cruises are done (if they ever occur) all the data will be a matter of public record. Why the need for secrecy?

That is the marvelous characteristic of opinions. You are entitled to yours as I am to mine.

54 minutes ago, orville99 said:

That is the marvelous characteristic of opinions. You are entitled to yours as I am to mine.

How do we know or not know that one or more secret test cruises haven't already completed. I will neither confirm nor deny I have been on one of these. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

I wasn't assuming anything about the vaccine. FireFly was trying to register a parent for the vaccine and when it came time to put in the birth date it only allowed you to go back as far as 1921. The parent was born in 1918. I just thought it was amazing that there are still folks around who were born during the Spanish Flu and have to go through this again as a vulnerable adult. 

I wonder where the vaccines are being stored in Florida if people are camping out waiting in line.  Doctors offices don't have those types of freezers.  I don't know how CVS will handle the freezer situation and the Pharmacist hasn't heard of any start up date either. It's kind of like the cruise line not knowing when start up will be. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I just thought it was amazing that there are still folks around who were born during the Spanish Flu and have to go through this again as a vulnerable adult. 

My Mom is 102 years young and other than deafness she is in decent shape.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

How do we know or not know that one or more secret test cruises haven't already completed. I will neither confirm nor deny I have been on one of these. 😉

A sound business practice would dictate that every time a cruise ship ties up at a dock, the cruise line is testing some elements of its return to cruising process. It is also entirely reasonable to believe that every time that ship leaves the dock, other components of the process are being tested. At some point passengers will be added to the mix, but the presence or absence of passengers does not mean that the lines are just sitting on their hands doing nothing to advance "the ball" on their testing process.

19 hours ago, orville99 said:

Especially if they were boarding a cruise ship in dallas😁. Anything can be accomplished on a closed pier.

Kind of hard to hide 18 wheelers bringing in supplies.  In addition the passengers need to get to the ship.  A bunch of cars driving to the parking areas at the pier would be very noticeable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, gatour said:

Kind of hard to hide 18 wheelers bringing in supplies.  

They're doing that every day that one of their ships is in port already. The current re-provisioning activities go largely unnoticed by anyone not directly involved in the process. It's not difficult to become "invisible" when you establish a week after week process hiding in plain sight.

28 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I love it. A conspiracy thread. We needed something new.

Not a conspiracy. As a student of John Seely Brown, I spent 20+ years of my career doing strategic scenario development, where one postulates multiple potential future states based on what is visible and what is in process today (often in parallel or even non-aligned industries). Just as railroad tracks appear to become closer together and eventually touch as one looks along the track to the horizon, scenario development looks along the lines of activity that exist today and examines what needs to happen/be invented/be scrapped/etc. in order to make them actually connect.

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Not a conspiracy. As a student of John Seely Brown, I spent 20+ years of my career doing strategic scenario development, where one postulates multiple potential future states based on what is visible and what is in process today (often in parallel or even non-aligned industries). Just as railroad tracks appear to become closer together and eventually touch as one looks along the track to the horizon, scenario development looks along the lines of activity that exist today and examines what needs to happen/be invented/be scrapped/etc. in order to make them actually connect.

Well of course neither side thinks they are wrong ....or we wouldnt have a discussion if everyone agreed.

Several ex cruise employees state there have been no test cruises.

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well of course neither side thinks they are wrong ....or we wouldnt have a discussion if everyone agreed.

Several ex cruise employees state there have been no test cruises.

Does not mean that there has been no testing of components of the CSO process. A lot of testing, staging, re-configuring needs to be done before the first visible cruise event.

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Does not mean that there has been no testing of components of the CSO process. A lot of testing, staging, re-configuring needs to be done before the first visible cruise event.

No one wants to have the CDC say "sorry, first test wasn't good enough, do another one"

I'm sure data from the Singapore cruises is filing into how they were planning on implementing rules for American cruises.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

No one wants to have the CDC say "sorry, first test wasn't good enough, do another one"

I would be amazed if the CDC did not make that statement several times before they were satisfied. 

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't know how CVS will handle the freezer situation and the Pharmacist hasn't heard of any start up date either. It's kind of like the cruise line not knowing when start up will be. 

This whole thing about CVS doing Covid Vaccines is ridiculous. I had my Flu shot done at CVS, and it was such an ordeal. Mind you I LOVE all the Pharmacists there and all the other employees but due to the Pandemic the they were already shortstaffed. There was one !!! pharmacist working and God bless his soul he was handling out prescriptions, answering the phone, giving two OTHER people their Flu shots, doing the paperwork for the flu shots..... you get the picture. And I already made an online appointment. 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

This whole thing about CVS doing Covid Vaccines is ridiculous. I had my Flu shot done at CVS, and it was such an ordeal. Mind you I LOVE all the Pharmacists there and all the other employees but due to the Pandemic the they were already shortstaffed. There was one !!! pharmacist working and God bless his soul he was handling out prescriptions, answering the phone, giving two OTHER people their Flu shots, doing the paperwork for the flu shots..... you get the picture. And I already made an online appointment. 

That’s how CVS and Walgreens runs. I don’t know how anyone can spend all that time in school to become a Pharmacist only to end up in retail Hell.  I’m guessing by the time they get the vaccine most will have already been inoculated. It’s two appointments so twice the fun for the pharmacist.

15 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That’s how CVS and Walgreens runs. I don’t know how anyone can spend all that time in school to become a Pharmacist only to end up in retail Hell.  I’m guessing by the time they get the vaccine most will have already been inoculated. It’s two appointments so twice the fun for the pharmacist.

I got my flu shot at CVS through their Minute Clinic, which is their mini-urgent care office at CVS. The clinics are run by Nurse Practitioners. Scheduled our appointment online, went to CVS and got our flu shots. Very efficient. Would like to get our Covid vaccine done the same way. 

• Like 2