The Daily for Tuesday Jan 5, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning Dailyites! 

For the first time, I am *almost* in synch with the suggested meal of the day: we had jambalaya last night. With lots of leftovers for another meal. Rack of lamb is always a hit in this household, but is frequently saved for 'special' times like Date Night (Friday). The drink of the day looks spectacular, but the ingredients sound a little too powerful for me. And the wine of the day sounds outright divine. Sadly my banker has other thoughts...

It is so exciting to read that so many of you are receiving the vaccine!! Things are not progressing very quickly in our immediate area, so we don't anticipate receiving it soon.

I cleared our small freezer (the lower part of our counter-depth fridge) of Xmas turkey carcass and various chicken backs (butterflying) and now have the pot on simmer making stock (and fill the freezer back up, LOL). And I will venture out shortly to the supermarket for a few necessities (the wine situation is dire). My sartorial splendor will highlight my Team Canada hockey jersey. Later on, we will be taking in the Bronze and Gold/Silver Jr. Hockey games. Between periods, we will probably be checking in on the Georgia senate races. I don't know why because it will probably take days -- or longer -- to decide the outcome.

Your photos and cartoons are delightful. And you provide some wonderful meal suggestions, in addition to the general bonhomie of this thread. We thank all who uplift us every day. We are lucky people indeed.

Stay safe. And please, wear a mask.

• Like 15

Rich:

Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report.  The meals do not appeal to me. 

Thanks to all who posted.  Was just reading some of the posts of the late TOMC.

They are as creative today as when he first posted. He was laidto rest yesterday, a victim of Covid 19. 

Have a great day everyone and God Bless all you wonderful people.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Something to take our minds off of Covid for a couple of hours-hockey. Canada vs United States for gold in the world juniors tonight at 8:30 ET on tsn. GO CANADA!  And if you really enjoy hockey Russia vs Finland for the bronze at 5:30. I know what my dh will be watching! 

GO USA! 😉 May the best team win!

• Like 5

Today's quote is spot on! I have had the good fortune of experiencing many "that's funny" moments in the research labs.

Yesterday may have hit 40F so I fired up the grill for a delicious porterhouse steak. It promises to be fairly mild (low to mid 30s) the rest of the week and snow-free. So maybe I'll get to have an encore. 

On this day in 2019, we were heading to FLL for a cruise on the Nieuw Statendam. In fact, we were probably boarding the plane at this time! 

Completely unrelated, but here is a pot of cacti from my parent's patio in Green Valley, AZ (2003) -

DSC00677.thumb.JPG.11f5f4176d4f0a3e02515292be42d74b.JPG

• Like 19

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Runoff Day Daily, Rich.  People who would like to be in Antarctica  are missing a lot of bird viewing.  Screenwriters are probably putting lots of projects on the shelf these days.  I like whipped cream in moderation,  So true on the quote.  Jambalaya Pasta sounds interesting.  My alternative is Salad of Arigula and Frisee, Rack of Lamb, and Strawberry Romanoff, as served on MS Prinsendam two years ago today.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

kazu’s BIL’s Mom with Cpvod

Finding a new home for Sopie

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including 0bnxshs

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jab for StLouisCruiser’s MIL

summer slope about to get vaccine

Second jab for 65gator

All smitty34847's family vaccinated

Sea Viewer with a vaccine appointment

highland cruiser’s daughter vaccinated

Av8tix just booked on RotterdamVII inaugural voyate

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

I prefer a leg of lamb.  My experience with Lamb is quite good when I have had it on HAL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily. 

Sophie went to her new home last night. My neighbors groomer wanted her. She came by and she sat with us about an hour and Sophie climbed all over her. She called later to tell us her other cat Jerry fell immediately in love with Sophie. He showed Sophie the feeding station and the kitty box area and presented her with one of his toys. She promised if Allen's allergies are from cedar fever instead of Sophie, we could have Sophie back, but I couldn't do that. 

Allen has a virtual appt this afternoon with our doctor.

Thanks for your thoughts yesterday.

Joy

And she has a new friend, who is willing to share!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Today's quote is spot on! I have had the good fortune of experiencing many "that's funny" moments in the research labs.

Yesterday may have hit 40F so I fired up the grill for a delicious porterhouse steak. It promises to be fairly mild (low to mid 30s) the rest of the week

Fred, we have very different definitions of “fairly mild”.  Though when I lived  in New England, they may have been similar.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Crew drills are a given on a cruise ship. On HAL, you will have fire drills, abandon ship drills, helicopter medevac drills, MOB drills, you name it and on the average once a week. While in Hilo on the big island of Hawaii, a MOB (Man OverBoard) drill was scheduled on Amsterdam. The 'man" in MOB was simulated by a lifebuoy thrown overboard by our intrepid (and funny) 2nd officer from Liverpool in the UK.

The "R"-class (as is the case with the "S"-class) ships do not have a "fast rescue boat" like the Vista-class (and up) ships do. Instead, they have two smaller lifeboats, #1 and #2, made by Norwegian Lifeboat and davit manufacturer Schat-Harding that double as rescue boats. For MOB alarms, the rescue boat has a standard crew of two deck/nautical officers, two sailors, one engineer and one nurse.

The drill was started with the MOB alarm, three blasts (the letter O in the international Morse code) on the ship's whistle which elicited a response by the boat's crew, the 1st officer who doubles as safety officer (Dutchman Pieter Bant, now a HAL captain), the security officer who doubles as commander of the ERST team (Emergency Response Support Team, formerly known as the Rescue Squad), the members of the ERST team, medical team, stretcher team, etc. Rescue boat #1 was lowered and splashed , went full speed to the MOB, picked him/her up by use of a rescue cradle, and brought him/her back to the Amsterdam where the process was reversed and the buoy handed over to medical. End of a drill with a standard debrief. Time for some of us to pay a visit  to Hilo and its Walmart 😉  

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

027.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

032.JPG

034.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

043.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

049.JPG

050.JPG

054.JPG

• Like 20

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily. 

Sophie went to her new home last night. My neighbors groomer wanted her. She came by and she sat with us about an hour and Sophie climbed all over her. She called later to tell us her other cat Jerry fell immediately in love with Sophie. He showed Sophie the feeding station and the kitty box area and presented her with one of his toys. She promised if Allen's allergies are from cedar fever instead of Sophie, we could have Sophie back, but I couldn't do that. 

Allen has a virtual appt this afternoon with our doctor.

Thanks for your thoughts yesterday.

Joy

Oh that is good news, Joy.

So glad that Sophie found a forever home so quickly.

Bless you for doing the right thing for Sophie ❤️ 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

And I will venture out shortly to the supermarket for a few necessities (the wine situation is dire).

Oh my heavens.  That’s serious 😉 😱 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Morning everyone. Whipped cream is a favorite for my DH. He loves it on jello pudding and ice cream. I can take it or leave it.

My techie grandson and I spent several hours yesterday , each in our own home, trying to upload a video I posted on Facebook that was taken several years ago to YouTube.It opened on my iPad and android phone, but not on the computer. I finally found some instructions today and will try again.

We are venturing out to a great fish store later to pick up 2 pound lobsters. The market will put them in our car so we don’t have to go inside the store which has become a big no no for us.

Love all the pictures, especially those copper posted of the boat drill. DH was crew for a few years when he was a dentist on HAL and participated in those drills.

Stay safe everyone and wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 17

We are supposed to get into the low 40's today before another cooling trend. I do hate those single digit dog walks in the early morning.

Good to hear that Sophie has a new and loving home. I have only had to rehome a pet once, and it just about broke my heart even though I knew it was for the best for all of us.

No sign of vaccine for us yet.... no one seems to know what is going on. I am sticking close to home although tomorrow I will have to go the Humane Society to sign checks. This just seems to go on and on and on.

Be safe all.

Susan

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

We are supposed to get into the low 40's today before another cooling trend. I do hate those single digit dog walks in the early morning.

Good to hear that Sophie has a new and loving home. I have only had to rehome a pet once, and it just about broke my heart even though I knew it was for the best for all of us.

No sign of vaccine for us yet.... no one seems to know what is going on. I am sticking close to home although tomorrow I will have to go the Humane Society to sign checks. This just seems to go on and on and on.

Be safe all.

Susan

My sister was able to get appointments for all of our over 75 relatives for this week and next in her New Orleans hospital.  No luck here in North Texas yet.  

• Like 8

Some of the interesting topics here bring back old memories.  Copper's man overboard description reminds me of how we did it in the Navy.  I was Officer of the Deck when we were steaming from the Philippines toward Vietnam when a person fell from the port side while painting.  I don't remember the number of whistle blasts, but I did have the word passed "Man overboard, port side" and started a Williamson turn which meant a hard rudder to port, and then when the ship had turned about 60 degrees, a reverse rudder until the ship has reversed its course.  Fortunately, sailors had eyes on the man in the water and we were able to pick him up easily.  I didn't handle the whole evolution, though.  Shortly after the word was passed the Captain and Executive Officer came to the bridge to relieve me (a Warrant Officer) and take charge of the situation.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Mmmm, whipped cream. Jambalaya pasta sounds good too.

Another cold, dreary day here, but at least no snow.

Giving thanks that my MRI was ok; numbness likely is due to the Humira, so looking to change meds.

Prayers for the care list and woohoo for celebrations/shoutouts.

@StLouisCruisers Wonderful pics. I am a big Shackleton fan!

Everyone stay safe and wear your mask!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Crew drills are a given on a cruise ship. On HAL, you will have fire drills, abandon ship drills, helicopter medevac drills, MOB drills, you name it and on the average once a week. While in Hilo on the big island of Hawaii, a MOB (Man OverBoard) drill was scheduled on Amsterdam. The 'man" in MOB was simulated by a lifebuoy thrown overboard by our intrepid (and funny) 2nd officer from Liverpool in the UK.

The "R"-class (as is the case with the "S"-class) ships do not have a "fast rescue boat" like the Vista-class (and up) ships do. Instead, they have two smaller lifeboats, #1 and #2, made by Norwegian Lifeboat and davit manufacturer Schat-Harding that double as rescue boats. For MOB alarms, the rescue boat has a standard crew of two deck/nautical officers, two sailors, one engineer and one nurse.

The drill was started with the MOB alarm, three blasts (the letter O in the international Morse code) on the ship's whistle which elicited a response by the boat's crew, the 1st officer who doubles as safety officer (Dutchman Pieter Bant, now a HAL captain), the security officer who doubles as commander of the ERST team (Emergency Response Support Team, formerly known as the Rescue Squad), the members of the ERST team, medical team, stretcher team, etc. Rescue boat #1 was lowered and splashed , went full speed to the MOB, picked him/her up by use of a rescue cradle, and brought him/her back to the Amsterdam where the process was reversed and the buoy handed over to medical. End of a drill with a standard debrief. Time for some of us to pay a visit  to Hilo and its Walmart 😉  

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

027.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

032.JPG

034.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

043.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

049.JPG

050.JPG

054.JPG

Thanks for clarifying MOB drills. At first I thought it meant Mother of the Bride!

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Good Morning Dailyites! 

For the first time, I am *almost* in synch with the suggested meal of the day: we had jambalaya last night. With lots of leftovers for another meal. Rack of lamb is always a hit in this household, but is frequently saved for 'special' times like Date Night (Friday). The drink of the day looks spectacular, but the ingredients sound a little too powerful for me. And the wine of the day sounds outright divine. Sadly my banker has other thoughts...

It is so exciting to read that so many of you are receiving the vaccine!! Things are not progressing very quickly in our immediate area, so we don't anticipate receiving it soon.

I cleared our small freezer (the lower part of our counter-depth fridge) of Xmas turkey carcass and various chicken backs (butterflying) and now have the pot on simmer making stock (and fill the freezer back up, LOL). And I will venture out shortly to the supermarket for a few necessities (the wine situation is dire). My sartorial splendor will highlight my Team Canada hockey jersey. Later on, we will be taking in the Bronze and Gold/Silver Jr. Hockey games. Between periods, we will probably be checking in on the Georgia senate races. I don't know why because it will probably take days -- or longer -- to decide the outcome.

Your photos and cartoons are delightful. And you provide some wonderful meal suggestions, in addition to the general bonhomie of this thread. We thank all who uplift us every day. We are lucky people indeed.

Stay safe. And please, wear a mask.

Completely understand how dire running out of wine is. Bought two cases on last Costco run which should last two months before we need to venture out again. Just curious, have you taken the Rovos Rail Pride of Africa train trip from CapeTown to Dar Esalam?

• Like 7

Good day!

We are also watching  the Juniors play tonight.  Go 🇨🇦.

Also NHL starts next week, hubby and sons are very happy!

We find out tomorrow if we are going back to total lockdown. sigh. Not much different for me but I feel for the businesses and schools.

• Like 10

E819E02F-67DC-4441-B54A-162F15EADB15.jpeg.7277f4ad42930884f5b4fcf3c2e90285.jpeg

Love this picture.  Thank you for sharing.  That is how I felt this morning...but today has been more productive all around.

Our daughter said that her arm is sore from the shot but with some movement should be better.  She is PA in orthopedics I am sure she is moving it all over today.  LOL.

Had a break in the weather so got a quick walk in.  Get to see my father-in-law with a window visit this afternoon.  Anxious for him to get the vaccine at his assisted living.  He will be 100 in February.  Hope we can do some sort of a celebration for him...the assisted living he is in is still on lockdown.  But his unit has had no cases since all this started way back in March.  So I can't complain about not being able to visit inside with him.  

Thanks for all the updates and photos.  Have a great day everyone.  On to next zoom with the 6 year old...writing time!!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Mmmm, whipped cream. Jambalaya pasta sounds good too.

Another cold, dreary day here, but at least no snow.

Giving thanks that my MRI was ok; numbness likely is due to the Humira, so looking to change meds.

Prayers for the care list and woohoo for celebrations/shoutouts.

@StLouisCruisers Wonderful pics. I am a big Shackleton fan!

Everyone stay safe and wear your mask!

Now that is something to celebrate!🥂

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 5

Got our shots. Talk about not knowing what was going on. When you registered you had to click a box asking where you wanted your confirmation sent, either phone or email. Got to the clinic about 40 minutes early and there were already a hundred people in line.  I think everyone got the same appointment time.   Well, half had to leave, quite upset because they didn’t get the confirmation email or phone call. All toll it took a hour and forty minutes. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2