Proposal: Buy drink package = allowed to bring your own booze

alanstarr

Just a thought here - why don't cruise ships allow you to bring your own bottles on board, as long as you've already purchased the full drink package? They've already got your money; and it actually saves them every time you drink your own instead of hitting the bar. 

I'm just particular about the whiskeys I drink, and would love to bring my own. Especially so I don't have to go out just to get a pre-dinner drink or a nightcap. 

(Yes, I understand at check-in they'd have to be some sort of verification. But it can't be that hard...)

Lol, I just read the title of the thread and instantly assumed that it was started by Ace.

To answer your question, one more step at check in where they are trying to reduce the number of steps and then there is more outside alcohol on board that could be shared by those that didn’t purchase a drink package. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Lol, I just read the title of the thread and instantly assumed that it was started by Ace.

To answer your question, one more step at check in where they are trying to reduce the number of steps and then there is more outside alcohol on board that could be shared by those that didn’t purchase a drink package. 

I would think there would be an element of “unchecked over consumption” as well 

• Like 2

I would love this option. There are times when I just want to pour a drink in my cabin and relax. I don't want to have to walk to the nearest bar to get a drink. Sometimes I want to have TWO drinks and relax. Again, I don't want to have to walk to a bar. If I carry 2 from the bar, one of them gets watered down by the time I'm ready to drink it. I'll pay the price of the drink package, just let me have a bottle of my own in my cabin.

It's never going to change that the rule breakers spoil it for the rest of us.

• Like 1

I feel your pain. I'm a rum drinker and the selection on board (while extensive) is very poor. I've offered to bring a few bottles for them to keep at the bar, to be poured at their discretion, and they keep what's left, but not even that was allowed. It's a shame as I think they'd have ended up choosing to stock it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alanstarr said:

Just a thought here - why don't cruise ships allow you to bring your own bottles on board, as long as you've already purchased the full drink package? They've already got your money; and it actually saves them every time you drink your own instead of hitting the bar. 

I'm just particular about the whiskeys I drink, and would love to bring my own. Especially so I don't have to go out just to get a pre-dinner drink or a nightcap. 

(Yes, I understand at check-in they'd have to be some sort of verification. But it can't be that hard...)

Sharing

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I would love this option. There are times when I just want to pour a drink in my cabin and relax. I don't want to have to walk to the nearest bar to get a drink. Sometimes I want to have TWO drinks and relax. Again, I don't want to have to walk to a bar. If I carry 2 from the bar, one of them gets watered down by the time I'm ready to drink it. I'll pay the price of the drink package, just let me have a bottle of my own in my cabin.

It's never going to change that the rule breakers spoil it for the rest of us.

I can't find it on the website now but others might know.  Wasn't there a place on the website to buy various gifts that would be delivered.  Things like room decorations, strawberries and Champagne, beach towels and I was sure there was a whiskey, vodka or rum option.

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I can't find it on the website now but others might know.  Wasn't there a place on the website to buy various gifts that would be delivered.  Things like room decorations, strawberries and Champagne, beach towels and I was sure there was a whiskey, vodka or rum option.

There is. The prices for that option are ridiculously high. I drink Gin and the gin offered is one that I don't drink. I also drink Bourbon and again, their choices are not what I prefer.

I found this page listing some of the options.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

There is, but bottles are small for the price

3 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

There is. The prices for that option are ridiculously high. I drink Gin and the gin offered is one that I don't drink. I also drink Bourbon and again, their choices are not what I prefer.

I found this page listing some of the options.

I’m a gin drinker too. Hate Bombay. Which is what they offer. 

9 hours ago, alanstarr said:

I'm just particular about the whiskeys I drink, and would love to bring my own. Especially so I don't have to go out just to get a pre-dinner drink or a nightcap

On some lines you can. We have got a bottle of Drambuie onboard QM2 through the x-ray machine in the carry one bag at Southampton. Security must have seen it on the x-ray there is no way they couldn't see it.  And it has never been an issue. And I have been gone back to the cabin to get my a father and drink and he has drunk it in the Chart Room bar with staff walking round and the staff have never noticed. It is long rumoured that people drink in the cabin on Cunard. 

But on Royal if they catch you smuggling drink onboard you get kicked off the ship with no refund don't you? That is what I have heard. And if they catch you sharing drinks package they cancel it keep the money and you pay for every drink? Is that also true.

1 hour ago, alanstarr said:

I know that some cruise lines are starting to go "all inclusive". Maybe at least then we could bring our own? 

What is the point?. Just smash the drinks package and get yourself into profit. I drunk more on Indy then I paid for the cruise and package and on NCL Gem and Pearl. More on the Gem then the 26 night christmas package cost me.

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But on Royal if they catch you smuggling drink onboard you get kicked off the ship with no refund don't you? That is what I have heard. And if they catch you sharing drinks package they cancel it keep the money and you pay for every drink? Is that also true.

Are these questions or statements?  

Just more speculation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I couldn't imagine going through the effort to smuggle booze onto a ship. It would remind me too much of my misspent youth.

I'm on my second childhood.

But I have credit cards now

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Are these questions or statements?  

Just more speculation.

Both. I have only been on one Royal ship but I have heard that rumour they cancel you or they used to it at least. Bit harsh if true.