The Daily for Thursday Feb 4, 2021

richwmn

Sad news - Canada has banned all cruise ships of over 100 people until February, 2022.  Now, if things improve the order can be rescinded but it doesn’t bode well 😢 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-announces-one-year-ban-for-pleasure-craft-and-cruise-vessels.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I get most of my mail at the UPS store.  I rarely see my mail carrier but depend heavily on the UPS store staff.

Roy

Roy, I hope your brother’s surgery went well and that his recovery is quick and uneventful.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sad news - Canada has banned all cruise ships of over 100 people until February, 2022.  Now, if things improve the order can be rescinded but it doesn’t bode well 😢 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-announces-one-year-ban-for-pleasure-craft-and-cruise-vessels.html

Any guesses as to how HAL will react to this announcement? How soon would they cancel the entire Alaska season, or would they do it in stages like they did last year?

• Like 2

@mamofami, my condolences on the loss of your friend.    I am sure that the hospice group was and will be a great source of comfort to the family.

Glad that shots are moving along smoothly and no adverse reactions for those who have received the “jab.”  

My one experience with Blue Curaçao was visiting the factory on one of our very early cruises.  I remember tasting it, but can’t remember what it tasted like.

Bright, sunny day in another portion of Colorado. Our rain yesterday was welcome.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Any guesses as to how HAL will react to this announcement? How soon would they cancel the entire Alaska season, or would they do it in stages like they did last year?

There’s another thread on the HAL board and one person has already been called by HAL cancelling their cruise.  

That makes me wonder if Canada had reached out to the cruise lines to alert them of the possibility?

I’m in a quandary now if I should remove all the Alaska sailings on the FCL or wait.  

• Like 5

On February 4, 2019 the Prinsendam visited the vicinity of Palmer Station and the crew from the station came out to make a presentation.  I had been lucky enough to get a visit to Palmer from the Professor Multinovski in 1997 but don't have any photos.  We were visited by a delegation of about 7 scientists from the station with the Station Chief and Research Director followed by a Q&A with the full team:

palmercrew.jpg

I was surprised that they didn't bring anything with them to sell but they did return with a lot of goodies, especially fresh foods and beverages quickly disappearing into the fog.

adieu.jpg

Our visit to Palmer from the Symphony was due to be on February 5 but had to be cancelled due to storms.  Later in the day we did some scenic cruising in Wilhelmina Bay:wilhelmina.jpg

On February 4 (3 years earlier) Crystal Symphony visited Deception island,  a volcanic caldera.  The volcano is considered active but the last eruption was in 1970.  The interior is accessible by expedition vessels but not by cruise ships.  The weather was not great but we got a fog shrouded view of the island and a peak at the inlet.

deception.JPG.7b1b3d232c9b87a669f26f57e01e06a4.JPG

deception2.jpg

inlet1.jpg

Roy

• Like 18

Roy, we did get in to Deception Island in 2012.  It's an amazing caldera, but no Santorini!  The sands and water were so warm it cooked the krill - the seabirds were having a wonderful time.  The remains of the whaling industry, tanks,  floating docks and the water boats were well preserved!  Our guides dug holes in the sand and let them fill with water, and the water was hot!  Some of the ships that go there evidently do their "antarctic plunge" in the warm water there, but our ship did not allow swimming!

The seabirds enjoying the pink krill...

P1010730.thumb.JPG.02312c8075eac686a7be380f38b3c54e.JPG

Penguin footprints in the snow..

P1000667.thumb.JPG.360dc9ec08fb853c95e926f669e3d9fa.JPG

Storage tanks for the whale oil

P1010695.thumb.JPG.029acc9d40e9a7d82497e83e89001a0e.JPG

"water boat"

P1010697.thumb.JPG.33728c7ba114876f4faa6b825eb55309.JPG

Beached floating dock

P1000674.thumb.JPG.7099428516ef754e3ff2cfd140501637.JPG

There were a few penguins around, but maybe they preferred colder climes!

P1010759.thumb.JPG.f9c7f327843ab751e6145f1297ee89ca.JPG

• Like 22

1 hour ago, kazu said:

There’s another thread on the HAL board and one person has already been called by HAL cancelling their cruise.  

You're right, Jacqui -- I think that poster's cruise was scheduled for September, so it sounds like they are going to cancel the whole season. Ugh!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mamaofami said:

I just heard that my friend of 62 years who was in hospice passed away this morning. Thank you Roy for putting her on the prayer list , but you can take her off now.

May God bless your friend's soul and bring comfort to all who knew her.

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kazu said:

That makes me wonder if Canada had reached out to the cruise lines to alert them of the possibility?

I’m in a quandary now if I should remove all the Alaska sailings on the FCL or wait.  

Wouldn’t one way cruises from and to Seattle still be able to go if Alaska opens up? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, superoma said:

Wouldn’t one way cruises from and to Seattle still be able to go if Alaska opens up? 

No, because of the "Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886" a vessel cannot call only on US ports. They must visit a foreign port.  They could only do this if they are registered as a US ship. See below link. 

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 - Wikipedia

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, superoma said:

They need to stop at a foreign port.  I always get the acts mixed up so I’m not going to make that mistake and say the wrong one 😉 

edited to say - sorry Janet I missed you already posted.  Apologize for the “echo”

• Like 3

Friday morning here, so ‘good morning’ to everyone. Our postman, or ‘the postie’ as he is referred to, rides a small motor bike, and scoots up the grass verges or people’s drives to deliver the mail. He is dressed in bright yellow and has a yellow flag on an antenna flying from the back of the bike. This makes him very easy to see, which is a great help when reversing out of the driveway! Our postie will often ride up the drive to our deck and hand the letters over instead of putting them in the box, especially if there is a package that is too large to go in the box. This saves us from having to go to the Post Office to collect it. The staff in our local Post Shop are wonderful. They are so helpful and it really nice to observe them dealing with the very elderly. They seem to know everyone, and never lose patience with those of us who can get a bit confused with paying bills by electronic means!  it’s going to be warm and very humid today, shouldn’t complain seeing the weather in Canada and the northeast USA. Stay safe everyone. And thanks for the Daily, it is lovely to read what is going on in the rest of the world.

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

No, because of the "Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886" a vessel cannot call only on US ports. They must visit a foreign port.  They could only do this if they are registered as a US ship. See below link. 

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 - Wikipedia

Close but not quite correct,  That would be true for a round trip from Seattle.  To go from Seattle to Alaska they would need to stop at a DISTANT foreign port and the closest one is probably south of the Panama Canal.

Roy

• Like 3

Thanks for the daily reports, photos and humour.

@mamaofami we send condolences to you and the family of your friend.

Our mail is delivered  3 days a week, the posties used to walk, but now drive around in a little mail"buggy" , they seem to be able to travel quite quickly between household  letter boxes.

A sunny summer day, the Pacific Ocean a lovely deep blue colour.

@richwmn pleased that you have recieved your first vaccination.

@rafinmd hope your brother recovers quickly from the surgery.

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Ann, who did you do that with?  Now that you mention it that may have been when I did something similar from the Professor Multinovski.

Roy

We were on Quark's Sea Adventurer.  An amazing 19 days from Ushuaia to Ushuaia.  We added on a week in Ushuaia, also amazing, our DD hired a car and drove us all over the place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m glad people liked the Anne Frank post today.  

It always reminds me that there are worse things to go through.

DH and I were privileged to visit there when we were in Amsterdam and boy those stairs are tiny and narrow!  (The ones hidden).  When I got there it really hit home for me.  I was glad to go but it was probably one of the most touching moments I have had touring along with Juno Beach.

What they went through for so many days.  We really shouldn’t complain I keep reminding myself.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

DH and I were privileged to visit there when we were in Amsterdam and boy those stairs are tiny and narrow!  (The ones hidden).  When I got there it really hit home for me.  I was glad to go but it was probably one of the most touching moments I have had touring along with Juno Beach.

We visited  the Normandy  Beaches  and Amsterdam  on the same trip, so many  emotions  and so much to be grateful  for . Thanks  for  the  memory jogging  posts.

Mary  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, that would include the New England east coast and Montreal and or Quebec cruises too. I’m glad I did that one a second time for our last big anniversary in 2019. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m glad people liked the Anne Frank post today.  

It always reminds me that there are worse things to go through.

What they went through for so many days.  We really shouldn’t complain I keep reminding myself.

There are so many stories coming out now about how people hid in attics for years. Someone in my community was in hiding for years in someone’s home. We will all survive this lockdown and life will be normal once again, but we have to be patient. 

• Like 7