Mask requirements in cruise ships.

Dolebludger

That would be a question for the cruise lines and airlines who are implementing this policy. They stand to lose far more customers by NOT adopting this policy then by adopting it. I don't have a single client who is willing to walk around with a mask on during their ( up to ) $1,000 PP/PD vacation when the simple solution is to require vaccines for all. They sold a product - if they can't deliver on that product there may be a lot of people looking for a way to secure a refund by banding together.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, alidor said:

So, she’s never to travel again??  That’s a bit harsh.  I do agree that you do need the vaccine to travel but what if you can’t?

Seems you have made a huge jump from not getting on a cruise ship that requires a vaccination to never traveling again. 

Right now cruising is the only traveling that may require the vaccine and in order for all to cruise safely all need the vaccine.   Not harsh at all.   Hopefully as COVID is eradicated like many other diseases cruising will return to normal but until then there are plenty more ways to travel without the vaccine however not as safely. 

• Like 2

I guess I threw this out there because I wanted to see if anyone has heard anything about travel for people who, for valid medical reasons, cannot get the vaccine.  This is not a matter of choice but of medical necessity that she not get the shot.

13 minutes ago, alidor said:

I guess I threw this out there because I wanted to see if anyone has heard anything about travel for people who, for valid medical reasons, cannot get the vaccine.  This is not a matter of choice but of medical necessity that she not get the shot.

A completely different request than the previous post. Right now unaware of restrictions for travel without vaccine except for a fee cruise lines which have announced the requirement. 

Most restrictions are recent negative testing. No telling gow that may or may not change in the future. 

11 hours ago, alidor said:

What is the reason she can’t get the vaccine? The J & J vax is ok for those who are immune compromised. 

21 hours ago, Pcardad said:

That would be a question for the cruise lines and airlines who are implementing this policy. They stand to lose far more customers by NOT adopting this policy then by adopting it. I don't have a single client who is willing to walk around with a mask on during their ( up to ) $1,000 PP/PD vacation when the simple solution is to require vaccines for all. They sold a product - if they can't deliver on that product there may be a lot of people looking for a way to secure a refund by banding together.

I quite agree with this post. I think that you have to explain to your child that cruising on many cruise lines right now is not an option and take her on a different sort of vacation where this vaccine is not a requirement.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2021 at 9:20 AM, alidor said:

So, she’s never to travel again??  That’s a bit harsh.  I do agree that you do need the vaccine to travel but what if you can’t?

There are other ways of travel besides cruising. 

• Like 1

An interesting question....  I have HAD CoVID, so don't know that the vaccination will do anything further to protect me.  My understanding is that virology indicates viruses act the same way.....if you have had it, you have had it and should never get it again. (Even if the CDC is erring on the side of caution and saying they aren't sure....) You can, however, get a different strain.  Same as being vaccinated....you receive protection, but you might get a different strain.  And with both, if you have been exposed to a different strain, you might pass that along before you know that you have it!  So, I'm not sure why the adamant and absolute push for vaccinations with no variance allowed!  I thought the cruise lines had indicated science was going to rule, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Or maybe it is just that the powers that be have been so wishy-washy throughout this trial that everyone is too afraid not to err on the side of utmost caution.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DW and I have had both Pfizer jabs — the last being a month ago. Unless I have been mislead, the reason we must wear masks in public now is to protect others who have not taken vaccine. We can’t get serious Covid (and probably can’t get it at all). But we can pick up the virus and transmit it to unvaccinated others. Thus, we wear masks in public. So, unless I have been wrongly informed, a ship on which everybody has been vaccinated really shouldn’t require masks of guests and crew and shouldn’t be required to cruise a half capacity — especially on uncrowded ships like Regent’s. Port calls are another story.  I’m not smart enough to suggest how they could be handled — especially in countries with low vaccination rates. 

19 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

DW and I have had both Pfizer jabs — the last being a month ago. Unless I have been mislead, the reason we must wear masks in public now is to protect others who have not taken vaccine. We can’t get serious Covid (and probably can’t get it at all). But we can pick up the virus and transmit it to unvaccinated others. Thus, we wear masks in public. So, unless I have been wrongly informed, a ship on which everybody has been vaccinated really shouldn’t require masks of guests and crew and shouldn’t be required to cruise a half capacity — especially on uncrowded ships like Regent’s. Port calls are another story.  I’m not smart enough to suggest how they could be handled — especially in countries with low vaccination rates. 

Believe you logic is incorrect regarding wearing masks onboard. First none of the vaccines are 100% protection and you yourself stated even with vaccine a vaccinated person can pass the virus while not contracting the virus so you wear masks in public. No difference being in public on land or I board ship. 

Really simple way to early to have massless people on ships. Need herd immunity and even then not 100% protection. Afraid we will or should be wearing masks everywhere for much longer. 

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Believe you logic is incorrect regarding wearing masks onboard. First none of the vaccines are 100% protection and you yourself stated even with vaccine a vaccinated person can pass the virus while not contracting the virus so you wear masks in public. No difference being in public on land or I board ship. 

Really simple way to early to have massless people on ships. Need herd immunity and even then not 100% protection. Afraid we will or should be wearing masks everywhere for much longer. 

OTOH....should we really be responsible for protecting those who for various reasons have chosen not to be vaccinated? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

OTOH....should we really be responsible for protecting those who for various reasons have chosen not to be vaccinated? 

Sorry but you misunderstood my post. It was in regards to being onboard where everyone has to be vaccinated so nobody in board has been vaccinated. 

The problem is that even with everyone vaccinated there is still the possubility to get duck either because none of the vaccines are 100% effective and vaccinated people can carry the virus without getting sick. 

Thus sailing without everyone wearing masks is a non starter. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rallydave said:

Sorry but you misunderstood my post. It was in regards to being onboard where everyone has to be vaccinated so nobody in board has been vaccinated. 

The problem is that even with everyone vaccinated there is still the possubility to get duck either because none of the vaccines are 100% effective and vaccinated people can carry the virus without getting sick. 

I've been told the goal is to sail without masks...but we aren't sailing yet so no one really knows.

9 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I've been told the goal is to sail without masks...but we aren't sailing yet so no one really knows.

I hope it's true...but who "told" you the goal is to sail without masks?   I want to shake his/her hand!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rallydave said:

The problem is that even with everyone vaccinated there is still the possibility to get sick either because none of the vaccines are 100% effective and.... vaccinated people can carry the virus without getting sick. 

Hi Dave!  Just speaking for me and DW, If every passenger, along with every crew member has been (verifiably) vaccinated prior to our cruise starting....We would have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever to take that cruise, if given the opportunity to do so....As long as we don't have to wear masks anywhere on the ship or undergo any mandatory quarantines, once we return to the U.S.  🙂 If our own personal cruising "standard for safety" had to to be an absolute "100% certainty of no sickness" whatsoever - from either Covid or any other virus, etc...We would never be able to leave our house again (for a cruise or any other travel adventure)!

I just went on Johns Hopkins website and as of today, they have reported a total number of Confirmed Cases of Covid in the U.S. as 30,057,034.  I highlight "Confirmed Cases" because many "medical experts", who are far smarter than I, simply "know for a fact" that there have been many Hundreds of Thousands more people (in the U.S.) who have been infected with Covid.....but which have never been "confirmed" or officially reported, who never had any mild or serious symptoms, and may have just felt "lousy" for a couple of days, got over it, and then just went on with the rest of their lives.  Those cases don't "appear" in any official statistic anywhere.

But out of 30 Million "confirmed cases".....545,895 deaths were reported.  And we also know from at least anecdotal reporting, that many of those 546K deaths were not "primarily caused" by Covid...there were other primary or at least "contributing factors" which precipitated the dealhs, as well.

But if we simply "accept" the numbers, as reported, at "face value", the resulting mortality rate (30 Million confirmed cases and 546K confirmed deaths) was 1.8%....and that rate is now decreasing at a significantly greater rate, as more knowledge of the disease and better/more aggressive treatments come into use.

For DW and I, having both been "jabbed twice" (Pfizer with 95%-97% efficacy rate).  I would gladly go on a cruise right now.....and without wearing a mask anywhere on board.... with a reported mortality rate of just 1.8%....and I'm even factoring in a 3%-5% chance of us contracting the virus after our recent vaccinations.

To be honest, I'm actually more apprehensive of getting Norovirus, or some other form of food-poisoning, a parasite, or bacterial infection while onboard, than I am of contracting Covid.  And for those who say, "but you won't die from those illnesses", my response is that "you probably won't die from Covid-19, either".  I'm actually more "nervous" about being involved in a serious traffic accident on the way to/from the airport, on a plane, being killed on the streets of a 3rd world country by thugs, or suffering a heart attack after eating a huge steak and lobster tail (followed by a popcorn sundae) in Prime 7... or enjoying a couple of single malts and a good cigar after dinner!  😜  I guess we all have different "risk tolerances", but I don't think the "rules" (to resume cruising) should be established based upon those the few percentage of passengers who have the lowest risk-aversion standards. Best Regard!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

There seems to be a group of people that say just because everyone is vaccinated, doesn't mean they can't get the virus and transmit it to others. That is, technically, true. But it is helpful to apply some math and reason to the question. If you are fully vaccinated (Moderna or Pfizer) there is a ~95% effectivity rate. So a 5% or less chance you will get the virus, including an asymptomatic case.

While research continues, current data shows there is expected to be at least a 50% reduction in transmission rate for vaccinated people vs non-vaccinated people, due to reduced viral load. So even if the non-vaccinated transmission rate was 100%, which it clearly is not, the chance of a vaccinated person getting and transmitting the virus is 2.5% (50% of 5%).

Now if I am vaccinated as well, and I come into contact with that person (say in the Compass Rose) my chance of getting the virus is .025 x.05 = .00125 or .125 of 1%. And, since I am vaccinated, I would not get seriously ill even if I did get it. 

That is why we do not need to wear masks on board if everyone is vaccinated.

More on transmission:

https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-briefing/2021/03/04/vaccine-transmission

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our State’s rules allow for uncrowded gatherings of fully vaccinated people in reasonable numbers indoors now.  The environment on Regent has always generally been uncrowded, so masks should not be generally required. Exceptions are lifeboat drills and the few other crowded occasions on Regent where masks probably should be worn. 

17 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Our State’s rules allow for uncrowded gatherings of fully vaccinated people in reasonable numbers indoors now.  The environment on Regent has always generally been uncrowded, so masks should not be generally required. Exceptions are lifeboat drills and the few other crowded occasions on Regent where masks probably should be worn. 

And what is your surmise about sharing tables with strangers?