This is depressing

slavetoabunny

31 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Its all about the virus.  Until it is controlled, cruises will not be sailing I don't think.  The virus. It is in control.   

Completely agree but at what point is the virus considered under control by the CDC and US Government. I don't know but am concerned it could be longer than cruise lines can hold out.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, complawyer said:

dont be depressed, we're all in the same boat.... sorry, i just couldnt resist

they are "ships" not "boats" -- has it been that long since cruising you have forgotten -- joking of course...

• Thanks 1

Don't be depressed.  We have come this far, an entire year.  The vaccine is here.  Its going to be another 8 months before we see most of Covid go away. Soon we will all have our vaccine and cruises will resume full time.  No time to get depressed.  Its time to start planning cruises one year out.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Don't be depressed.  We have come this far, an entire year.  The vaccine is here.  Its going to be another 8 months before we see most of Covid go away. Soon we will all have our vaccine and cruises will resume full time.  No time to get depressed.  Its time to start planning cruises one year out.

People don't get it. I remember back in April posting here and being called crazy when I said it would be 18 months at the earliest before we started cruising again, maybe 24 months. My wife is a scientist for the CDC - USDA so I have pretty good idea of the timelines and what it going on. What the United States and the rest of the world needs right now is higher production and higher delivery speeds. If we don't get a handle on the current virus soon their is a very good possibility this will snowball into many other variants that could possibly run out of control if not kept in check.

On the bright side the cases of the flu have remained extremely low. Keep wearing those mask and washing your hands

• Like 6

Last summer I came to “my” hard realization that cruising wasn’t going to happen until late 2021 (and now I’m thinking that timeline may have been too optimistic). I understand that others want to hold up hope for an earlier resumption, but for me the best course of action was to start planning alternate vacations. 

For the “optimists”, there has been blow after blow. I’ve read so many cc friends get excited, plan cruises, make payments only to be gut punched repeatedly with continued closure. I imagine it’s difficult not to get depressed after being so optimistic about restarting :(.

I found joy in planning other trips within the USA where I wasn’t at the mercy of the CDC. For the USA residents who are outdoorsy nature lovers, there is so much to be seen within our borders. Don’t get me wrong, I love cruising, but I fought off depression by planning alternatives. That same strategy may help those of you currently struggling. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Last summer I came to “my” hard realization that cruising wasn’t going to happen until late 2021 (and now I’m thinking that timeline may have been too optimistic). I understand that others want to hold up hope for an earlier resumption, but for me the best course of action was to start planning alternate vacations. 

For the “optimists”, there has been blow after blow. I’ve read so many cc friends get excited, plan cruises, make payments only to be gut punched repeatedly with continued closure. I imagine it’s difficult not to get depressed after being so optimistic about restarting :(.

I found joy in planning other trips within the USA where I wasn’t at the mercy of the CDC. For the USA residents who are outdoorsy nature lovers, there is so much to be seen within our borders. Don’t get me wrong, I love cruising, but I fought off depression by planning alternatives. That same strategy may help those of you currently struggling. 🙂

👍 Plenty of other things to do in the without leaving the states for old and young. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xcell said:

they are "ships" not "boats" -- has it been that long since cruising you have forgotten -- joking of course...

Heck, I see posts here on CC from veteran cruisers that still call ships "boats". Pass on this memory jogger; "you can put a boat on a ship (i.e. lifeboats, rescue boats) but you can't put a ship on a boat".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Laszlo said:

People don't get it. I remember back in April posting here and being called crazy when I said it would be 18 months at the earliest before we started cruising again, maybe 24 months. My wife is a scientist for the CDC - USDA so I have pretty good idea of the timelines and what it going on. What the United States and the rest of the world needs right now is higher production and higher delivery speeds. If we don't get a handle on the current virus soon their is a very good possibility this will snowball into many other variants that could possibly run out of control if not kept in check.

On the bright side the cases of the flu have remained extremely low. Keep wearing those mask and washing your hands

Very true.  There were many scientists who studied pandemics predicted everything almost 100%.  When the scientists were saying there would be dips and it was no time to put your guard down, they were shunned.  When they said the darkest days would be winter of 2021, many laughed or mocked them.  When they said a vaccine would happen late 2020 or early 2021, many did not believe.

Rewind time, I remember many people saying it was going to magically disappear in the summer of 2020 because of heat.

Now the good news is by summer we should be seeing huge drops in virus infections.  So it is possible by fall cruising will resume full time even though Canada says no.

I hear NCL commercials on the radio here in Miami.  Have not heard them in about a year. I just received another NCL flyer in my mail.  All good signs.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I just received another NCL flyer in my mail.  All good signs.

I have been receiving NCL flyers in the mail at least once per month for the last 12 months...so I'm not sure it means much of anything that they are still sending flyers out.  When they have vaccinated employees on ships ready to sail, I'll believe something might happen.  Just being realistic,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roger001 said:

I'm afraid it's the same old thing though.  For the past year NCL has been selling cruises that they know they can't deliver.  Getting a loan form us.  Still going on I think.  

All of the cruise lines are doing the same thing. They're not forcing anyone to book but some people are just so anxious to cruise again, they keep booking, some will get canceled for a May cruise and then book a month later for June. Seems so stressful, its baffling.

I've had 2 canceled and didn't rebook, I'm gladly just going to wait it out.

1 hour ago, panamatiger said:

a few years ago, my wife and i were on an ncl cruise   and it was a meet the officers night, they were all dressed up in their  uniforms, standing ramrod straight and lookingextra spiffy. iwhen i went up to shake the captains hand, since all the officers were there, i jokingly asked "who's sailing the boat"

he sternly looked at me and informed me in no uncertain terms, "it's a SHIP"  man ha

ad no sense of humor. what a d**k!

1 hour ago, panamatiger said:

Jimmy Buffett was literally the son of a son of a sailor. Jimmy Buffet's grandfather was a sailor out of Nova Scotia. As a child he was exposed to sailing through his grandfather and these experiences would go on to influence his later music.

• Like 1