Vaccine passports ruled out for UK according to Daily Mail. GP's to provide proof.

ace2542

• ace2542 changed the title to Vaccine passports ruled out for UK according to Daily Mail. GP's to provide proof.
23 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Nadhim Zahawi said that on the Andrew Marr show this morning, because vaccinations were not compulsory.

It will therefore be interesting how Greece will allow UK tourists in!

Holidays are not compulsory either but, like the vaccination, those that want to go on holiday should be given the opportunity to do so. 

• Like 4

I will say it again, it matters not one jot what Gove says, what matters is what other countries demand. If they demand a verifiable proof of vaccination as an entry requirement and you don't have one, you ain't going on holiday to that country, or maybe even on the plane etc.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Holidays are not compulsory either but, like the vaccination, those that want to go on holiday should be given the opportunity to do so. 

You will have the opportunity to go on holiday, here!

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I will say it again, it matters not one jot what Gove says, what matters is what other countries demand. If they demand a verifiable proof of vaccination as an entry requirement and you don't have one, you ain't going on holiday to that country, or maybe even on the plane etc.

Since UK holidaymakers are usually the largest percentage of most Med countries, I cant see that going down too well in Europe.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It feels a bit of a stretch for a border control agent in *name your preferred holiday country* to scrutinise a piece of paper purporting to come from a GP surgery in Wherever, UK, and determine it to be genuine proof of vaccination

Nice little earner for the forgers though 🙄

Nevermind the border control for a minute. Imagine the P&0 check in staff at Southampton trying to ring a GP to confirm. It would take at least 10 minutes a time. The delays would be beyond imagination.

23 minutes ago, pete14 said:

My gut feeling (based on no facts at all) is that they will eventually provide a vaccine passport but not until the whole population has had an opportunity to be vaccinated.

If they do it now they exclude the younger groups from travel (and those who can’t have the current vaccine for health reasons). Not a vote winner for any government as people have long memories.

The  bigger issue is that the passports start to get used immediately to exclude people in other ways, everything from job interviews to restaurant bookings potentially. 

They are presumably going to have some in-depth policy discussions about what is reasonable for health and safety and what is illegal discrimination, that will all take time.

Right now the priority is getting people safe, the rest is perhaps for another day.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

My gut feeling (based on no facts at all) is that they will eventually provide a vaccine passport but not until the whole population has had an opportunity to be vaccinated.

If they do it now they exclude the younger groups from travel (and those who can’t have the current vaccine for health reasons). Not a vote winner for any government as people have long memories.

The  bigger issue is that the passports start to get used immediately to exclude people in other ways, everything from job interviews to restaurant bookings potentially. 

They are presumably going to have some in-depth policy discussions about what is reasonable for health and safety and what is illegal discrimination, that will all take time.

Right now the priority is getting people safe, the rest is perhaps for another day.

I agree yes! 

• Like 1

Off at a little tangent but ...

could this be integrated with an ID card?  There are plenty of voices which have always clamoured for such a thing, to allow access to all sorts of government and non-government services

Might be a factor in the thinking and explain a degree of delay?

1 hour ago, jake 26 said:

Nice little earner for GPs. Similar to the cost of GP letters for insurance companies possibly.

You don't need to pay anything to get a record of your vaccinations.  All you need to do is a Subject Access Request to your GP asking specifically for your vaccination data.  Under GDPR regulations they have to provide that to you within 30 days free of charge.

This will quickly become a complete pain for GP practices as most people asking will not specify just the vaccinations but will ask for their notes.  They will pressure the Government to provide a solution.

One thing of note however is who actually holds the knowledge about your vaccinations.  I know in my case its my health board not my GP.  My GP has no record and will never get one as there is no transfer of vaccination knowledge between primary and secondary care in Scotland.

• Like 1

I've had my vaccination. I was given a small card  with my name, NHS number, date and time of appointment, type of vaccine (Oxford Astrazeneca) and batch number. I have kept the card. Maybe that will be proof enough if needed.

• Like 2

Just now, Ray66 said:

I've had my vaccination. I was given a small card  with my name, NHS number, date and time of appointment, type of vaccine (Oxford Astrazeneca) and batch number. I have kept the card. Maybe that will be proof enough if needed.

No, that's to take back to the doctors with you when you have your 2nd jab, so they know exactly what you had and when.  That would be no good because it can easily be faked

Avril

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

All you need to do is a Subject Access Request to your GP asking specifically for your vaccination data.  Under GDPR regulations they have to provide that to you within 30 days free of charge

Why within a 30 day period? Has that period being specified under the legislation or is that just the working rule of thumb? How long does it actually take them to process it? Do you think that "30 day period" will become backed up when they are faced with large number of data requests?.

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Why is everyone playing Chinese Whispers?  Even the Government hasn't decided what it's going to do yet. It's all media speculation at the moment.

Avril

Well according to the interview on Marr this morning they have, they are not issuing a vaccine passports. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55970801

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

No, that's to take back to the doctors with you when you have your 2nd jab, so they know exactly what you had and when.  That would be no good because it can easily be faked

Avril

And my father's card was not updated with the date and name of second jab when he went to have it a few weeks back.

9 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

When I was waiting in the hub with my father, I spied a box full of those small cards on a counter in plain view and remember thinking how easy it would be for someone to nick a few,

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Why is everyone playing Chinese Whispers?  Even the Government hasn't decided what it's going to do yet. It's all media speculation at the moment.

Avril

It puts a real spanner in the works for Saga's plans to restart doesn't it?. Most of their passengers are  on a 12 week vaccine cycle. And are now having to face possibly another x days to a couple  of week time period to have their Subject Access Requests approved - which could easily see a real backlog -. Doesn't look good for a May/June start time.

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Well according to the interview on Marr this morning they have, they are not issuing a vaccine passports. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55970801

Thanks, I didn't see it. I only know that the government can turn on a dime, so I like to wait until it's set in stone. Got to keep that old BP down any way I can.😉

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Thanks, I didn't see it. I only know that the government can turn on a dime, so I like to wait until it's set in stone. Got to keep that old BP down any way I can.😉

Avril

I agree. They can and do change on a dime and to be fair sometimes that is necessary and the right thing to do.

Personally I feel that if a minister makes an unequivocal statement like that on a public broadcast then we should be able to take it as set in stone, at least for the time being.

25 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

It puts a real spanner in the works for Saga's plans to restart doesn't it?. Most of their passengers are  on a 12 week vaccine cycle. And are now having to face possibly another x days to a couple  of week time period to have their Subject Access Requests approved - which could easily see a real backlog -. Doesn't look good for a May/June start time.

A very high percentage of their passengers will not have had their 2nd vaccination in time anyway, so is all a bit academic. Although I believe that the little card will be accepted as proof.

They'll have to change their terms if a single dose vaccine gets approval.

But I really don't think they'll be starting in May - but now they can blame the vaccine rollout for the delay.

Edited by nosapphire
added

24 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Personally I feel that if a minister makes an unequivocal statement like that on a public broadcast then we should be able to take it as set in stone, at least for the time being.

Words are just that - words, and everyone has the right to express their personal opinion on any stage. However, I feel there is a huge difference between what any minister believes or assumes, and what will eventually be the governments policy on any matter, is very different. If we take everything any minister says as a true fact, even for a while, then we are going be sadly disappointed or very annoyed. I will wait and see as usual.

Avril

• Like 2