P&O cancel to September

GUT2407

Link.

"We wanted to let you know that P&O Cruises has extended the rolling pause in cruise operations in Australia to September 17, 2020."

"We will make direct contact with guests whose cruises are affected by the amended date to let them know of this development and to apologise for the disruption. These guests can reschedule their cruise at a later date with the added bonus of onboard credit or obtain a full refund."

I think that's sensible. Although it is possible to do some cruises over winter the itineraries would be very limited as going south from Sydney or Perth probably isn't wise due to typical nasty sea conditions at that time of year. Better to aim for the start of the 21/22 season with cruises commencing in October. By August there should be a clearer picture of what travel bubbles will be possible - NZ, South Pacific islands - so there is more variety in the itineraries.

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think that's sensible. Although it is possible to do some cruises over winter the itineraries would be very limited as going south from Sydney or Perth probably isn't wise due to typical nasty sea conditions at that time of year. Better to aim for the start of the 21/22 season with cruises commencing in October. By August there should be a clearer picture of what travel bubbles will be possible - NZ, South Pacific islands - so there is more variety in the itineraries.

Yep I agree, add in the flu season and it would be crazy to try and start during Winter, in my opinion.

21 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Oops, just realised I should say Carnival not P&O. 

No matter, P and O are Carnival corporation. I believe the whole Carnival Corp fleets will be grounded, princess, P and O, carnival cruise line, hal, cunard, costa, etc. and it goes on, soon will be 2022.

Edited by NSWP

26 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep I agree, add in the flu season and it would be crazy to try and start during Winter, in my opinion.

I doubt there will be much of a flu season again this year as long as everyone continues Covid-safe habits. Plus the flu won't get here easily as overseas arrivals will still have to quarantine so if they bring the flu with them they should get over it while in quarantine.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

32 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I am confused the link says until 17 September 2020? 

I think there has been a couple of confusing points. It is Carnival that has extended its pause to September (not P&O). The link that SinbadThePorter provided is a P&O one from last year.

I will wait now to see if P&O extended their pause this year.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NZ Premier has lost interest in a bubble with Australia.  NZ is making a bubble with the Cook Islands which makes sense as there are more Cook Islanders in NZ than the Cook Islands.  

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

NZ Premier has lost interest in a bubble with Australia.  NZ is making a bubble with the Cook Islands which makes sense as there are more Cook Islanders in NZ than the Cook Islands.  

For the moment at least.

Interesting that the reason given was Australia closing the border for a few days while they sorted out a new case, but NZ hasn't opened it's border to Australia at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe the earlier posts were actually prophetic. 🙂 My TA advised me yesterday that our 11th August P&O cruise will be cancelled.

Ouch Evon  We have one booked on the Adventurer on 14th June  not heard its cancellation YET  what was yours on

4 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Ouch Evon  We have one booked on the Adventurer on 14th June  not heard its cancellation YET  what was yours on

Our cruise was originally on the Pacific Explorer, Brisbane to Port Vila, then changed by P&O to Pacific Encounter. I have been expecting our August cruise to be cancelled, but we don't want to cancel it. With P&O cancelling, I hope we can transfer our significant amount of OBC to a future cruise - although I don't know when that will be!

Hopefully this one relates to this year.

Source:

"Pacific Encounter is scheduled to homeport in Brisbane from 7 May 2021. Guests booked on Pacific Explorer cruises departing from Brisbane from 7 May 2021 to 6 November 2021 will be automatically transferred to the same itinerary on Pacific Encounter. The only exceptions to this rule are for voyages X134 and X151, both of which will be transferred to a comparable cruise that remains on Pacific Explorer."

Not sure how this applies. I've got a booking on cruise X140N from Brisbane to PNG for Sep 10 2021 and it's still showing on their website as on Pacific Explorer.

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Our cruise was originally on the Pacific Explorer, Brisbane to Port Vila, then changed by P&O to Pacific Encounter. I have been expecting our August cruise to be cancelled, but we don't want to cancel it. With P&O cancelling, I hope we can transfer our significant amount of OBC to a future cruise - although I don't know when that will be!

You are right I will not cancel either leaving it to them to do so and use the credit on the next one booked in December on the Adventurer  BUT perhaps the Adventurer is not, going to b e part of their changes  - fingers crossed and it is not going to a  foreign port)

2 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

You are right I will not cancel either leaving it to them to do so and use the credit on the next one booked in December on the Adventurer  BUT perhaps the Adventurer is not, going to b e part of their changes  - fingers crossed and it is not going to a  foreign port)

If I remember correctly, your cruise is a coastal Queensland one. If so, it just might, go ahead, although I am dubious. One other thread is about work being undertaken at OPT that will go until July, so a cruise on 14th June, is rather unlikely.

22 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Hopefully this one relates to this year.

Source:

"Pacific Encounter is scheduled to homeport in Brisbane from 7 May 2021. Guests booked on Pacific Explorer cruises departing from Brisbane from 7 May 2021 to 6 November 2021 will be automatically transferred to the same itinerary on Pacific Encounter. The only exceptions to this rule are for voyages X134 and X151, both of which will be transferred to a comparable cruise that remains on Pacific Explorer."

Not sure how this applies. I've got a booking on cruise X140N from Brisbane to PNG for Sep 10 2021 and it's still showing on their website as on Pacific Explorer.

Yes - My August cruise was changed from Pacific Explorer from Pacific Encounter. However I don't believe a cruise to Vila in August will happen on any ship.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:23 AM, MicCanberra said:

I am not confident that any of the mass market lines will be cruising out of Australia this year, even if they are just domestic coastal cruises.

On the other (N American) boards there are still a few blind optimists who think there will be cruising this year.