The Daily for Thursday Feb 11, 2021

richwmn

today is Don't Cry over Spilled Milk Day, Make a Friend Day, and National Inventors Day

The doctrine of human equality reposes on this: that there is no man really clever who has not found that he is stupid.
        -- Gilbert K. Chesterson

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken and Wild Rice Bake

Drink of the Day - Andes Mint HotChata

Wine of the day - Drylands Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand - White vintage

at Sea English Channel
Zaandam destination Scheveningen eta 2/11

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination San Ignacio Anchorage
Noordam
Westerdam

La Paz MX
Zuiderdam

Port Everglades Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam

0211USA.thumb.png.59d770702fcfeb3121fb2c1d3ecc8298.png

0211Europe.thumb.png.2919aa29e88e7c083b6ba1594b78f702.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

My thoughts are also with Roy and hope he returns soon and completely healed.

This is his slightly updated list from yesterday

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Roy

Roy's brother

Seasick Sailor in Quarantine and friend with Covid pneumonia

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jabs for St. Louis Sal, cruisemom42's parents, St.LouisCruisers, and JazzyV

Sharon’s mom released from hospital

Kazu’s BIL’s mom sitting up
 and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Rich. Thank you for stepping in for Roy. Prayers for Roy.  Make a Friend Day....we've made plenty of "friends" here in this wonderful daily thread.  I really like the quote. Will pass on the meal, having leftovers.

Prayers for all of us, and really toasts for us too.  We are here.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Andes Mint HotChata:

Ingredients
  • 2 c. whole milk
  • 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • ½ c. semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 c. RumChata
  • 2 oz. peppermint schnapps
  • FOR TOPPING
  • Whipped cream
  • Chopped Andes
  • Whole Andes
  • Chocolate sauce, for drizzling

Instructions
  1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring milk to a simmer. Whisk in sugar and cocoa powder and stir until no lumps remain. Stir in chocolate chips and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is completely melted. Turn heat to low and stir in in Rumchata and schnapps. Warm to desired temperature, then remove from heat and pour into mugs.
  2. Top each mug with whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, chopped Andes, and a whole Andes, and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 6.40.36 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning Rich. Thank you for stepping in for Roy. Prayers for Roy.  Make a Friend Day....we've made plenty of "friends" here in this wonderful daily thread.  I really like the quote. Will pass on the meal, having leftovers.

Prayers for all of us, and really toasts for us too.  We are here.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Andes Mint HotChata:

Ingredients
  • 2 c. whole milk
  • 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • Pinch kosher salt
  • ½ c. semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 c. RumChata
  • 2 oz. peppermint schnapps
  • FOR TOPPING
  • Whipped cream
  • Chopped Andes
  • Whole Andes
  • Chocolate sauce, for drizzling

Instructions
  1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring milk to a simmer. Whisk in sugar and cocoa powder and stir until no lumps remain. Stir in chocolate chips and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is completely melted. Turn heat to low and stir in in Rumchata and schnapps. Warm to desired temperature, then remove from heat and pour into mugs.
  2. Top each mug with whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, chopped Andes, and a whole Andes, and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 6.40.36 AM.png

I never saw the reasoning behind spoiling good hot chocolate by diluting it with liquor. My friend (and cabin-mate) says he never saw the reasoning behind spoiling good liquor by diluting it with anything at all.

• Like 12

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

And a big THANK YOU @richwmnfor taking care of Roy’s Care & Celebratory list today and my prayers for @rafinmd

How many times did my mother say “don’t cry over spilled milk” - I never heard her say don’t cry over spilled wine, though 😉 Since the only friends we can make these days are virtually, I’m grateful for the people here who have become virtual friends.  Yay for the inventors!

I love that quote by Chesterton.

Just had chicken last night so I’ll pass on the meal suggestion although I will give DH rice tonight 😉 

Oh my heavens that is some sweet drink, summer!  

Wow - another white wine today and from New Zealand, no less.  I bet it is a good one.  Looking forward to Cat’s description.

It is really cold here -26 Celsius.  I know that’s not as cold as where Gerry is out west, but dam, it’s cold.

4D121376-ADAF-447A-8801-573B94606715.thumb.jpeg.bb69e2a47fd643cd139a222aea2680c6.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy & Rich’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone.  Hopefully it is warmer where you are.

933EDAEC-4955-446C-9123-239BB3572889.jpeg.c87e3facd0dff2c5c842cab1116aed7f.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 30
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone.   

Thank you to Rich for stepping into Roy's role in his absence.   Prayers to Roy for a quick resolution of his medical problems.  

The arm is back to normal after the jab.   They say to exercise it if it is sore and that really does help!   

We think we're cold here at 18F.   I guess it is all relative.  We've got some cold overnight temperatures coming up, but nothing too drastic.  It is winter.   And, it makes it easier to hunker down and avoid the virus outside.  

Have a great day and stay safe!

Today's meal gets rave reviews.   Sounds like a good one.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-and-wild-rice-bake/

Chicken-and-Wild-Rice-Bake_EXPS_HCA18_3740_B08_25_5b-2.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A good selection of days to celebrate - I think I'll use the milk (not spilled) to make a rice pudding.  As mentioned before, the only friends we can make now are virtual ones - but I think I have made a lot on this board.  My DH is an inventor; our garage is his wild man's workshop where the most unusual things are created.

Well folks, welcome to what is a balmy day on Mars.  We are f-f-f-f-freezing at -51C this morning.  If you don't believe me, I'll attach a screen shot of the weather channel on my phone at the end of this post.

I'm a little slow to the computer this morning because I took out an auxiliary membership in the Flying Wallendas Club yesterday.  While stepping into the tub for a shower (to keep the door open to help humidify the house), the dam mat slipped, and so did I.  I ended up flying through the air with the greatest of ease, landing on my back on the bathroom floor like a beached whale.  LOL  The one thing that went through my mind while in flight was "don't hit the side of the tub" because I knew that would certainly break something.  I'm pretty sore, with lots of bruising already (I bruise SO easily, always have), but nothing's broken.  I'm using T & T this morning (Tylenol and Tea), but I'll be fine.   

The menu suggestion both sounds and looks good - thanks @dfishfor posting the picture; although DH doesn't care for wild rice, I might just have to get some to make it.  Maybe I'll convert him.  LOL   Because I'm taking it easy today, I think we'll just dig around the "ice cave" and see what leftovers we can heat for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Saying extra prayers for @rafinmd, hoping all goes well for him.  Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Weather.PNG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Don't post often (other than to use "Thanks" emoji for Rich, Roy, summer slope & dfish - sorry not a wine drinker) but I do consider all who post here as friends. I keep those on the Care list in my thoughts and concerns, including those who aren't on the official list. Virtually celebrate with those on the Celebrations & Shoutouts list. Appreciate all the photos and news shared. Thanks to all for being here this past year. You are my community.

• Like 24

Good morning from very foggy Georgia.  I can't even see across to the other side of the fairway from my house.  Thank goodness we have no plans to go anywhere today so will stay snug inside.  

My arm is improving but still sore but I expect improvement as the day wears on.  Yesterday I took a nap to catch up on the sleep I lost the night before and while I did that DH apparently washed his car.  Gosh, so sorry I couldn't help you with that, honey!  Obviously his arm wasn't as sore as mine was if he could wash the car with it.

I'm hoping we get some good news about Roy today.  Our prayers and good thoughts are with him.

• Like 20

Thank you for our Daily and lists, Rich! I appreciate you doing double duty. I will be keeping Roy in my prayers, and hoping he is back posting soon. 

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Great combo of Days. @kazu, I agree no one ever said “Don’t cry over spilled wine” to me. Today’s quote is very profound. The meal does sound good & rich. As does that drink! Another one for dessert.

@StLouisCruisers, it is super foggy here this morning, too. In fact it was even foggy along the coast road in the middle of the afternoon yesterday. 

Today I head back to the gym for a couple classes. Looking forward to Pilates the most. And I have graduated from a gauze lad to a bandaid! A lovely purple sport bandaid! Woo hoo. Salmon tonight, I think. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Hurry back Roy! Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

The 2017 vintage of this Sauvignon Blanc has an excellent rating. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $14.99.  Certainly are a great many fruits mentioned in the descriptions. I might need to add this one to my list. 

Winemaker Notes

Layers of passion fruit and pink grapefruit with hints of tropical fruit, melon, and fresh herb. Rich and mouth-filling. Laden with tropical fruit and citrus impressively structured by juicy acidity.
D91 Decanter: Ripe, complex aromas of guava, passion fruit, pea shoots and fine asparagus. Intense, assertive and elegant with plenty of acidity.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

@ger_77Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your spill in the bathroom!  They can be very dangerous places while walking with wet feet.  All that slippery tile, and hard edges.  Please take care today, and if I were you I wouldn't step outside to visit the "ice cave" with those temperatures.  Maybe your DH could do it for you.  Be safe!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A good selection of days to celebrate - I think I'll use the milk (not spilled) to make a rice pudding.  As mentioned before, the only friends we can make now are virtual ones - but I think I have made a lot on this board.  My DH is an inventor; our garage is his wild man's workshop where the most unusual things are created.

Well folks, welcome to what is a balmy day on Mars.  We are f-f-f-f-freezing at -51C this morning.  If you don't believe me, I'll attach a screen shot of the weather channel on my phone at the end of this post.

I'm a little slow to the computer this morning because I took out an auxiliary membership in the Flying Wallendas Club yesterday.  While stepping into the tub for a shower (to keep the door open to help humidify the house), the dam mat slipped, and so did I.  I ended up flying through the air with the greatest of ease, landing on my back on the bathroom floor like a beached whale.  LOL  The one thing that went through my mind while in flight was "don't hit the side of the tub" because I knew that would certainly break something.  I'm pretty sore, with lots of bruising already (I bruise SO easily, always have), but nothing's broken.  I'm using T & T this morning (Tylenol and Tea), but I'll be fine.   

Good grief Gerry! I am so thrilled you did not break anything. 
You might need some extra wine today - for medicinal purposes of course!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Aardvaark said:

The use of the first-class yeoman crow is cool.  YN's just can't quit typing, I guess 😘.  Thanks for the "daily's".   

STCM.png

Welcome to the Daily! Rich has created this wonderful & supportive community. Hope to “see” more of you.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Oh my heavens 😱 So glad you didn’t break anything 👍 

You are going to be sore.  Take it easy and let your DH pamper you.

As the day gets on, I recommend a glass or two of vino to help with the aches 😄 

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Aardvaark said:

The use of the first-class yeoman crow is cool.  YN's just can't quit typing, I guess 😘.  Thanks for the "daily's".   

STCM.png

Look a little closer at the crow - it is not crossed quills

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

The menu suggestion both sounds and looks good - thanks @dfishfor posting the picture; although DH doesn't care for wild rice, I might just have to get some to make it.  Maybe I'll convert him.  LOL   Because I'm taking it easy today, I think we'll just dig around the "ice cave" and see what leftovers we can heat for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Saying extra prayers for @rafinmd, hoping all goes well for him.  Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Weather.PNG

All that with no net! Please take it easy. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3