Royal Caribbean Group to Vaccinate Crewmembers Prior to Return to Service

Host Jazzbeau

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

With the number of crew from the Philippines, progress there will be imperative. 

And thus far,  it is not off to a roaring start

Absolutely. As I said earlier, this is a huge logistical nightmare.  It took many months to get the crew home at the start of all of this and it's not going to come easy to get them back. 

Phil 

3 hours ago, azdrydock said:

I doubt most crew members will have access to the Pfizer or  Moderna vaccines for a long time. I am worried that they will be given one of the many Asian vaccines that, at best, are less effective. If there is an outbreak among the crew the vaccinated passengers should be relatively safe, but what happens then?

Just wondering where your information has come from regarding the Asian vaccines being less effective please?  

Thanks.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, it is along the lines of healthcare as per the original.

The Advisor had her first vaccine in early January, mainly because she still works ten hours a week for a large healthcare charity in a patient facing role.

I got my first vaccine three weeks ago primarily due the fact that I have recently completed a clinical trial for an asthma drug which I am lucky enough to be using successfully for the foreseeable future.

The prescribed product is a once a month IM injection, from a pre-filed auto injector which needs kept refrigerated at 4ºC or below. It is a self administration device.

I have also done the forward planning for our next two cruises and the injection is due twelve and ten days into the cruise respectively.

Now here is where I would appreciate advice.

I know all the cabins and suites on AZ have fridges, however, they are never as cold a required.

I read some time back that the reason the fridges don’t chill to the required temperature is the fact that they are in an enclosed cupboard/closet with the door shut, meaning that the recycled air used by the fridge is never cool enough to chill the fridge properly.

As I see it I have a few options, persevere with the fridge (not ideal unless the outer door stays open the whole time), or ask the room steward to keep topping up the ice in the travel pack.

Alternatively can pharmaceuticals of this nature be kept in the ships hospital?

Is the room steward permitted to remove the used device for disposal, or should that go to the hospital?

All thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

As a post script, I have learnt that travel pack must not contain ice packs of greater than 100ml

14 minutes ago, norn iron said:

Apologies for hijacking this thread, it is along the lines of healthcare as per the original.

The Advisor had her first vaccine in early January, mainly because she still works ten hours a week for a large healthcare charity in a patient facing role.

I got my first vaccine three weeks ago primarily due the fact that I have recently completed a clinical trial for an asthma drug which I am lucky enough to be using successfully for the foreseeable future.

The prescribed product is a once a month IM injection, from a pre-filed auto injector which needs kept refrigerated at 4ºC or below. It is a self administration device.

I have also done the forward planning for our next two cruises and the injection is due twelve and ten days into the cruise respectively.

Now here is where I would appreciate advice.

I know all the cabins and suites on AZ have fridges, however, they are never as cold a required.

I read some time back that the reason the fridges don’t chill to the required temperature is the fact that they are in an enclosed cupboard/closet with the door shut, meaning that the recycled air used by the fridge is never cool enough to chill the fridge properly.

As I see it I have a few options, persevere with the fridge (not ideal unless the outer door stays open the whole time), or ask the room steward to keep topping up the ice in the travel pack.

Alternatively can pharmaceuticals of this nature be kept in the ships hospital?

Is the room steward permitted to remove the used device for disposal, or should that go to the hospital?

All thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

As a post script, I have learnt that travel pack must not contain ice packs of greater than 100ml

I would contact Special Services (possibly via Sandra as they will the splitting from RC Special Services).  I am pretty sure they will be able to make arrangements via the ships medical team,  I have heard of them keep things for guests before.  The attendant can give you a container for sharps disposal like they do for diabetics

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, uktog said:

I would contact Special Services (possibly via Sandra as they will the splitting from RC Special Services).  I am pretty sure they will be able to make arrangements via the ships medical team,  I have heard of them keep things for guests before.  The attendant can give you a container for sharps disposal like they do for diabetics

Great advice. Thank you. I'll contact Sandra this week.

18 minutes ago, uktog said:

That's what I'd do too. I have always found the fridges on Azamara to be pretty cool, but whether they'd chill to below 4° I'm not sure.

I've got a cheap digi thermometer in my own home fridge that I bought on Amazon and you could always check the temperature in your fridge on the ship with it. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01L787TW0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The other thing. If you don't manage to contact special services I'd go straight to the Hotel Director on the ship. This is exactly what they will be pleased to help you with. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That's what I'd do too. I have always found the fridges on Azamara to be pretty cool, but whether they'd chill to below 4° I'm not sure.

I've got a cheap digi thermometer in my own home fridge that I bought on Amazon and you could always check the temperature in your fridge on the ship with it. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01L787TW0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The other thing. If you don't manage to contact special services I'd go straight to the Hotel Director on the ship. This is exactly what they will be pleased to help you with. 

Phil 

Thanks Phil, sound advice as always.

Never thought I'd see the day I'd be packing a fridge thermometer for a cruise!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Werangels said:

Just wondering where your information has come from regarding the Asian vaccines being less effective please?  

Thanks.

It was just my assumption, so I went to the keeper of all knowledge -Google to check it out

The 2 vaccines designed in India are based on the AstraVeneca ;  Covaxin and CovaShieldi with anticipated effectiveness of 60% and 70.4%.   (https://fossbytes.com/covaxin-vs-covishield-efficiency-dosage-price)

The Chinese vaccines SinoPharm  and SinoVac are 79% and 50% respectively. (https://news.abs-cbn.com/spotlight/12/30/20/confused-between-sinovac-and-sinopharm-what-to-know-about-their-covid-19-vaccines

UAE testing claimed 86% effectiveness for SinoPharm and China responded that the difference is due to different testing standards.

Russia has claimed 91% for the Sputnik vaccine and although it may have been rushed, field data indicate it is effective but like the others the testing and analysis was not reviewed in the same manner as the Western vaccines.

Not meant to be a research project and I only looked at the first readable results in a few searches. 

All of the testing was done prior to UK, SA and Brazilian variants

3 hours ago, norn iron said:

Thanks Phil, sound advice as always.

Never thought I'd see the day I'd be packing a fridge thermometer for a cruise!!

Last few cruises (2 other lines, AZ) there was a card on the fridge stating that  medications may not be stored in the fridge at any time and must be taken immediately to Medical Services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

Russia has claimed 91% for the Sputnik vaccine and although it may have been rushed, field data indicate it is effective but like the others the testing and analysis was not reviewed in the same manner as the Western vaccines.

I tend not to trust statistics from countries where disputing the official claim gets you locked up in prison.  :classic_ohmy:

• Like 2

Sadly in every country where the private sector is being used for roll out, the scammers will prey on the more vulnerable and desperate.  Here is a headline from the BBC this morning, I know it’s China but it could be anywhere where you can pay to get your vaccine. 

China arrests leader of fake vaccine scam https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-56080092

In the UK, we are not free from scammers even though all vaccine is being given through a state system.  Scammers have been emailing phoning and texting people trying to catch out the vulnerable by asking for payment to ensure they get their allocated space. I had my first such email yesterday it’s pretty realistic to anyone who doesn’t understand how the system actually works 

7 hours ago, azdrydock said:

Last few cruises (2 other lines, AZ) there was a card on the fridge stating that  medications may not be stored in the fridge at any time and must be taken immediately to Medical Services.

azdrydock thank you for the feedback. Very reassuring.

18 hours ago, azdrydock said:

It was just my assumption, so I went to the keeper of all knowledge -Google to check it out

The 2 vaccines designed in India are based on the AstraVeneca ;  Covaxin and CovaShieldi with anticipated effectiveness of 60% and 70.4%.   (https://fossbytes.com/covaxin-vs-covishield-efficiency-dosage-price)

The Chinese vaccines SinoPharm  and SinoVac are 79% and 50% respectively. (https://news.abs-cbn.com/spotlight/12/30/20/confused-between-sinovac-and-sinopharm-what-to-know-about-their-covid-19-vaccines

UAE testing claimed 86% effectiveness for SinoPharm and China responded that the difference is due to different testing standards.

Not meant to be a research project and I only looked at the first readable results in a few searches. 

All of the testing was done prior to UK, SA and Brazilian variants

Thank you.  All of the vaccines are effective and until or unless there are comparative clinical trials completed you cannot say that one is more effective or better tolerated than another.  Covaxin is Astra Zeneca, they have a huge manufacturing plant in India.  

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

Would the crew not fall into the category as essential workers, as restaurant employees and grocery workers do?

No - because in the UK restaurant employees are not classed as essential.  Far from it, remember we have had NO restaurants open apart from takeaways since Christmas Day and at present we are told they are unlikely to reopen for Easter.  Not even our teachers have been classified as essential at this point in time.  There is absolutely no way if they are relying on any UK supplies that crew would get access to vaccine this side of the summer sorry.

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

norn iron, really glad to hear that the new medication works on you and you’re going to be able to carry on using it.

Thanks Grandma Cruising, it's been a revelation. I start self administration on Monday🙈🙈

• Like 1

In Germany vaccination is slow....it is supposed to improve in April. Older than 65 are getting Biontech and Moderna with a three weeks interval between first and second doses.

Younger than 65 are getting AstraZeneca with a 9 weeks interval between both doses.

For those of you who have got AstraZeneca, did you experience many side effects?
Ivi

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

In Germany vaccination is slow....it is supposed to improve in April. Older than 65 are getting Biontech and Moderna with a three weeks interval between first and second doses.

Younger than 65 are getting AstraZeneca with a 9 weeks interval between both doses.

For those of you who have got AstraZeneca, did you experience many side effects?
Ivi

I know a few people who have had the AZN vaccine and none of them have had any side effects. 

Phil 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Ivi

I had the Astra Zenica and apart from the usual sore arm I get after any jag, I had no side effects.  

• Like 2