Further Operation?

orville99

"At Royal Caribbean International, our guests and crew's safety and well-being are always our top priorities. After further consulting with our partners at Cruise Lines International Association and in conjunction with the CDC, we have decided to extend the suspension of sailings for our global fleet for all sailings through April 30th, 2021 – excluding sailings onboard Quantum of the Seas in Singapore and Spectrum of the Seas in China. Our plan is to resume further operation in May"

Maybe I'm parsing these words a bit too critically, but to me "resume further operation" and "resume cruising" are not the same concept. Further operation could be interpreted as anything from resuming revenue-producing cruises to starting the CDC test cruise process.

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

That was announced a while ago

My premise is that the announcement and the meaning can be interpreted in widely different ways. The question is what exactly does "resume further operation" really mean. It doesn't necessarily mean return to cruising. It could just as easily mean start to bring back crew, or start to do test cruises, or start to begin re-negotiating provisions contracts, port contracts, and delivery schedules.

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

My premise is that the announcement and the meaning can be interpreted in widely different ways. The question is what exactly does "resume further operation" really mean. It doesn't necessarily mean return to cruising. It could just as easily mean start to bring back crew, or start to do test cruises, or start to begin re-negotiating provisions contracts, port contracts, and delivery schedules.

Those questions are above my pay grade😇

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Those questions are above my pay grade😇

A long long time ago, I had the responsibility of crafting my corporation's 10-K statements, and one would be amazed how much information only shows up on the white parts of the page.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Yes.  Or no.  Or maybe.  It depends.

It means they don't know because our government (CDC) won't take the time to communicate with them.  They are as much in the dark as you and I are.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

"At Royal Caribbean International, our guests and crew's safety and well-being are always our top priorities. After further consulting with our partners at Cruise Lines International Association and in conjunction with the CDC, we have decided to extend the suspension of sailings for our global fleet for all sailings through April 30th, 2021 – excluding sailings onboard Quantum of the Seas in Singapore and Spectrum of the Seas in China. Our plan is to resume further operation in May"

Maybe I'm parsing these words a bit too critically, but to me "resume further operation" and "resume cruising" are not the same concept. Further operation could be interpreted as anything from resuming revenue-producing cruises to starting the CDC test cruise process.

I read it as they hope to have more cruises (other than the sailings on Quantum in Singapore) in operation in May.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, orville99 said:

Is that all ! From the topic heading thought you had a appendicitis and then needed a new liver due to this lock down! 🤣

• Like 1

17 hours ago, twangster said:

It means they don't know because our government (CDC) won't take the time to communicate with them.  They are as much in the dark as you and I are.  

The CDC did communicate with them.  Consider this: they did not like/can not afford the requirements put forth by the CDC where the responsibility for passengers should there be an outbreak and that is a major reason they are not moving forward.  Hence: we have the new contract from Royal that shifts the responsibility for those costs to EACH passenger.

8 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

The CDC did communicate with them.  Consider this: they did not like/can not afford the requirements put forth by the CDC where the responsibility for passengers should there be an outbreak and that is a major reason they are not moving forward.  Hence: we have the new contract from Royal that shifts the responsibility for those costs to EACH passenger.

They have communicated a framework to proceed but have not communicated the details for what CDC will require them to do.  

On 2/18/2021 at 4:31 PM, orville99 said:

A long long time ago, I had the responsibility of crafting my corporation's 10-K statements, and one would be amazed how much information only shows up on the white parts of the page.

We used to say the real information is in the footnotes..😜.

mac_tlc

2 hours ago, Garyjames220 said:

Any ideas when they will probably be cancelling Mays cruises

The 90-day final payment clock on May cruises runs out March 3rd. My bet is they will announce the cancellations at the end of that week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

No one knows. My guess is in two or three weeks

Mine too...leaning more towards seeing something the first week as an all over package, since they have to finally fess up and cancel anything related to Canada anyway (NE cruises/Alaska are big ones).