The Daily for Tuesday Mar 02, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone.

Never been to Scotland but it is on THE LIST. 

My news today is that many people are testing positive that were at the funeral. They had really strict guidelines in place but we found out yesterday, a person not even a family member was positive ( knew they were) and came anyway.  So far, one family member is hospitalized and 9 others have tested positive. I spoke with my doctor and we are going this afternoon. I had had one vaccine.  We have no symptoms. This is just too unbelievable! I am pretty angry.

Oh Cunnorl, I am so outraged on your behalf to hear this. Of all the inconsiderate, selfish things to do, this really takes the cake. What is wrong with some people? Your family is dealing with so much already. I am praying that you and all your family members come out the other side of this unharmed. I did not ‘like’ your post because it somehow seemed the wrong response, but it resonated strongly. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I just got back from getting my first COVID shot (Moderna). The second is scheduled for March 30th. Mitzi gets her second on the 11th! No side effects yet....

Yesterday in 2005, we were in Mazatlán. We stayed on the Oosterdam and pretty much had the ship to ourselves for awhile - 

DSC02717.thumb.JPG.cb91673e2372d793282da48a0e833f32.JPGDSC02729.thumb.JPG.7a3d6ccaac3826879a500e5f4e97890c.JPGDSC02742.thumb.JPG.f4a6c51ff0c634a97977eddf5c96316e.JPGDSC02745.thumb.JPG.f0646cd6e7a5d4a7f998a12a8f242783.JPG

• Like 22

Good morning all!

All but one of the many cats I've had over the years were rescue, even the cats I had as a child.  We definitely have a lot of old stuff around here, including some very old desks and cabinets that belonged to my grandparents.  Those I'm not ready to part with, but there's always other "newer old stuff" we need to dispose of.

I agree that a certain goalie needs to learn sportsmanship. I really hope more is done about that. I guess living for tomorrow is wrong, but planning for tomorrow is definitely right.

We've been to Greenock/Glasgow a couple times, good memories.  We went to Loch Lomand, and to Inveraray Castle and saw the Duke.  He was working the gift shop, and joked that it was the job his wife, an heiress of Cadbury Chocolates, had given him. 😉  

Here's a photo of me with a Glasgow cutie.

Glasgow.jpg

• Like 28

We have been to Greenock twice.

In 2009 we were greeted by the same cutie as @Cruising-along and some "men in kilts".  Kept looking for Jamie Fraser from Outlander -- alas, not to be 😉100_4799.thumb.jpg.a3b7a49172b1905d4d722d848792b60c.jpg100_4798.thumb.jpg.c79198a94eff17ddeeef62b7bdbd223d.jpg

In 2014, we took a ship excursion to the Falkirk Wheel -- an alternative to locks in the Scottish Canal system.

DSC01778.thumb.jpg.b6dd85f18374f7bfc4b42fb7d8b91452.jpgDSC01766.thumb.jpg.e69ed4a67e83efb6bb75cd2fda3e737a.jpgDSC01764.thumb.jpg.1c78dda986242bf9676595e8fbc255af.jpgDSC01763.thumb.jpg.af57426895a77d72364021e811d1f170.jpgDSC01762.thumb.jpg.3b39321d8c67d80d5d97f8831eb19699.jpg

• Like 28

We were in the Port of Greenock on the Prinsendam in May of 2019 and had a wonderful day going to Glasgow on our own with another couple . We walked to the train station (16 mins ) where it was possible to buy a combined ticked for the train and the Hoho bus in Glasgow which was a great deal . Train departed every16 mins to Glasgow central and from there it was a 3 min walk to the Hoho bus .

Had a great tour of the city and stopped off at the very interesting Riverside Museum of Transport and Travel  ( Free ) toured the "Old "  University of Glasgow buildings and museum and of coarse went for a fantastic Fish and Chips with not to forget a glass of Guinness .  Great day was had by all .

125611040_IMG_68772.JPG.fc0ce24234c6a0b9785c7a01b5741dd3.JPG

DSCN0206.JPG

DSCN0210.JPG

IMG_6902.JPG

DSCN0231.JPG

DSCN0237.jpg

IMG_6896.JPG

DSCN0248.JPG

DSCN0259.JPG

DSCF6550.JPG

DSCN0260.JPG

DSCN0249.jpg

DSCN0269.JPG

Edited by sailingdutchy
Tried to fix the upside down pictures ??????
  • Like 22

Everyone was wearing masks and distanced from each other. The only ones the funeral home allowed to stay were his wife, 3 sons and wives and 3 sisters ( me). Everyone else was let thru in groups of 10. No touching or hugging.  Had to keep moving. The Mass was limited to 100 people. All spread out. Our  kids ( adult) all went to my sisters home to wait for us and this person went there. It was only  for family, not sure why he was there. One of my nieces asked him to leave because he was coughing.  He texted one of them later to say he was positive!

This makes me so angry I was shaking as I read it. What a heartless person to attend a funeral knowing he had Covid and expose the grieving family. Your family will be in my prayers for full recovery.

Both of my cats are rescues. I have a large sack of older things waiting for pick up by Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America. Roy's alternate dinner is what I will opt for tonight.

I am another one who has never been to Scotland or for that matter to any of the British Isles. I hope that the term is not offensive to anyone but I don't know how else to say it. I hope to someday be able to travel there. My ancestry is 85% British Isles but I have no idea of my family history.

Jane

• Like 16

Good Morning Everyone.

My news today is that many people are testing positive that were at the funeral. They had really strict guidelines in place but we found out yesterday, a person not even a family member was positive ( knew they were) and came anyway.  So far, one family member is hospitalized and 9 others have tested positive. I spoke with my doctor and we are going this afternoon. I had had one vaccine.  We have no symptoms. This is just too unbelievable! I am pretty angry.

So sorry to hear this news.  I can understand your anger.  After all this time with covid you would think that people would have more empathy and understanding for others...especially at a funeral. Take care of your self.

We had a cruise planned that would have gone to Glasgow but it was cancelled last year.  Flew into Edinburgh and took a tour from there several years ago.  Great countryside and castles.  Would definitely go again.

Thanks for all the daily news.  I have too much old stuff...kudos to those of you who have rescue animals.  Both our sons have rescue dogs.  We have had our share of pets but now with wanting to travel more, we are holding off on another dog for a while. 

Have an awesome day everyone.  Stay well, safe and enjoy wearing those masks.  ☺️ 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone.

OMG 😱 Someone KNEW they had Covid and went and spread it???

OMG - I am angry along with you.  Unbelievable, selfish and cruel.  And now people are at risk because of one a$$hat.  What is wrong with people???

I am so sorry for you and your family members 😢 My prayers are with you all.  I hope karma bites this person where it hurts the most.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@sailingdutchywhat a coincidence!  We were on the Prinsendam when it visited Greenock on May 10, 2019.  That was our farewell cruise on the Elegant Explorer.  While you went to Glasgow that day, we stayed in Greenock and took a walk.  The weather was the best we'd seen there in our four visits.  

We stopped in front of this Victorian gazebo in front of a Church of Scotland named Wellpark Mid Kirk, and then noticed something we hadn't seen before.  Where the trees are on the left we saw some stairs going up a very high hill, so decided to see what was up there.  It turned out to be a lovely park named ironically Well Park.enhance

Well Parkenhance

Looking down upon the townenhance

And here is the 1629 well located in the park, thus the name of the park.enhance

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 24

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Allen had his yearly dermatologist's appt. Had to get a biopsy of his temple area. He's had basal cell carcinoma twice on both temples, so waiting to see how this test turns out.

Good luck.  Hope the results are favourable 🤞 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Oh Cunnorl, I am so outraged on your behalf to hear this. Of all the inconsiderate, selfish things to do, this really takes the cake. What is wrong with some people? Your family is dealing with so much already. I am praying that you and all your family members come out the other side of this unharmed. I did not ‘like’ your post because it somehow seemed the wrong response, but it resonated strongly. 

I tend to use the "thanks" reaction in such situations.  To "like" the post doesn't sit well with me either.

Rouy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Just when I thought the wind had died down a bit and maybe we could walk the dogs....opened the front door and OMG. This sums it up but it applies for big dogs too.

BB15599C-D38D-40B4-BCF9-4527933BD926.jpeg.e08e45e51275706040f155101d286f7a.jpeg

I could only work on our driveway 7 minutes at a time to try to deal with the ice.  DH was the same.  The wind is so strong and cold, that once it starts to melt before you can even break up the ice it freezes again.

It’s actually colder now than earlier this morning 😱 

The only good thing about the wind is that once my garbage bin was picked up, the wind pushed it onto our street which was a lot easier to manoeuvre to to get it than the spot it was previously on the driveway which is solid thick ice now thanks to the storm.

797D13CB-BF3B-4FF7-A07B-33C44FDE5DE5.thumb.png.c60721a3a116d7708818493bf647b21a.png

March has definitely come in like a lion.  It dam well better go out like a lamb 🤞 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone.

It’s hard to believe how some people act. I hope all the family members stay healthy. Clearly this person knew he was positive and didn’t care. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

March has definitely come in like a lion.  It dam well better go out like a lamb 🤞 

March arrived with calmness and more warmth than we have felt for awhile in Western Washington. 

Pictures are from our balcony in Westport and from the virtual railfan live camera in Skykomish.

balcony march 2 2021.JPG

skykomish march 2 2021.jpg

• Like 19

13 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

I love this area!!!!

I can certainly relate to a lot of this day. Rescue cats.... well, of course our shelter does that, but as a child I was a kitty magnet. One of my favorite memories is finding 2 kittens that had been dumped and bringing them home. Mom fed them.... but also lectured me since we already had a number of cats. In the middle of her lecture the door opened and my Father walked in..... with the remainder of the litter. I think there were 7 total. Mom was not pleased.

As to old stuff.... I have it. Am trying to thin it down, but some things will never leave.

And Scotland! For many years I took students on summer tours which went to England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. My favorite was always Scotland and I often headed back after the students went home. My students evidently loved it too as several returned to do archaeology digs in Orkney and other places. There have been several interesting new finds near the Ring of Brodgar.  And the "Song of the Clyde" is all too familiar.... is that Andy Stewart? Now I am really getting restless.

Susan

• Like 18

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Like many others here I have never been to Greenock.  I did visit Glasgow on my first trip outside North America (Crystal Symphony, 1996) when I toured the UK by train for a few days before boarding the ship.  My family's roots are from the Glasgow area but I did not really learn anything except that I am not suited to driving on the left side of the road.

Roy

I like the addition of ports to the Daily, thanks Rich.

Surprisingly, I have been to a port that the more traveled Roy hasn't: Greenock.  On my first longer cruise in 2009, the Voyage of the Viking cruise,, onboard our beloved Maasdam, called there.  I wanted to take the bus to Glasgow, but my travel partner then didn't.  It was a pleasant community to visit none the less.  After leaving the dock, I was watching from the Crow's Nest when the Captain had to make a hard turn to port causing the Maasdam to list severely which caused great concern.  People get upset when their happy hour drinks slide off the tables!  The Captain came on shortly to apologize, but blamed a private boat for cutting across his bow.  So Greenock still has a special meaning to me.

Also of concern today was reading that the Marco Polo is on the beach at Alang, India,

for scrapping.  She was sold to be "repurpased", but the buyer sold her to a scrapper.

Alang has a bad reputation for releasing toxic items into the sea and not caring for the safety of the workers.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1