The Daily for Wednesday Mar 03, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you!  I do too. I wish they made more than just these bowls. Blue is my favorite color. 

Mine too!   I just ordered some new blue dishes, the old ones were getting tired and nearly twenty years of daily use.   They’re the ones from the pinnacle grill,  so at least I can feel I’m at sea!  

DA969283-F9C7-49F0-8780-EA655E50156A.jpeg

59F0C753-0A3D-4C0B-9FF2-CF4186DFB307.jpeg

• Like 15

Good morning.

Caregiver Appreciation Day, I Want You to be Happy Day, and National Mulled Wine Day!  

All great days.  

The caregiver at the assisted living where Brad's dad was until he passed 6 weeks ago were amazing.  So considerate and kind during the entire process.  They even sent us a beautiful plant which is still blooming.  Caregivers appreciation day should be everyday in my book.

Haven't been to the port in Greenland.  Looks very interesting.  Thanks to all for sharing pictures.

Mulled wine day...our experience with mulled wine was on a Christmas market river cruise in December.  Celebrated at each market with a mug of mulled wine...mug included which I had to pack carefully to get them all home!!  

Thanks for all the information, celebrations and care list.

Stay safe everyone.  Praying for negative covid tests for those needing testing.  

Looking forward to the fog lifting here and the 60 degree weather forecasted.

😷🌞

• Like 15

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from a rainy day at the beach.

Again thank you to all of my CC friends for your support and prayers for my family. Never thought we would be in this situation.  You all make me happy everyday with the pictures, the quotes, recipes and the genuine concern for each other. Most of all you give hope that we all will be cruising again soon.  

We went for the Covid test yesterday, waiting on results. So far, 14 family members ( all in MA) have tested positive, one hospitalized.  I dont have any symptoms but we are still in quarantine until we receive the results.

Be Safe and dont let your guard down.

I just can’t believe this has happened to your family because one person, not even a family member, was so irresponsible. Fingers crossed everyone recovers and you both test negative.

• Like 9

Good morning all! (Just made it under the wire here in Missouri  😉)

Love reading The Daily. Some great days to celebrate. I have been the caregiver for both my mom and my DH. Now he has become my caregiver and what a great job he’s doing!

The recipe looks delicious; I have cooked a dish similar to this; DH is not fond of the apple/onion combo. 

An amaretto sour is my go to drink if nothing else grabs me. Sounds like a delicious wine (I will ignore the licorice & camphor in the description). 

I have not been to Greenland. Looks like a lovely port. Thank you all for the pictures shared.

After an entire year of no one in our family having even a sniffle (thanks to masks and hand washing) my oldest daughter has a really bad respiratory infection. They gave her both a Covid test and a strep test-both negative. They did give her a steroid shot which surprised me. She is sure she knows where she got it. She is a band teacher and has been back to in person teaching since August. She has been so very careful, but last week one of her students had trouble with the mouthpiece on his instrument and she fixed it, but then forgot to immediately sanitize her hands! It only takes messing up once. Missouri just announced they will vaccinate teachers starting in mid-March; hopefully she can get an appointment which will relieve my mind. She teaches in parochial schools (6 of them) and some follow a mask mandate and are very careful and the rest are anything goes ☹️. When the weather was nice they had band outside, but Missouri weather doesn’t allow that in the winter! 

Take care everyone and please, please don’t let up on safety precautions.

St Louis Sal

• Like 20

I’m late to the party today. I had an early morning appointment at the dermatologist and had a biopsy done on my nose. He’s pretty sure it’s a basal cell and I will need moms surgery which isn’t a big deal since I’ve had it before, but it takes a long time to get an appointment.

About thirty minutes after we came home, DH announced he lost vision in one eye. While we waited for a response from the ophthalmologist, it slowly returned to normal , but he’s being seen now. This can come from small blood vessels, but he just had the covid shot on Monday, so who knows if this is a reaction or if it caused it.

I haven’t had time to read this thread from the beginning, but will do so now while waiting to hear why DHs eye responded the way it did.

Carol

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I think it was Himself, I remember talking to him in the Lido about it -- hopefully he sees this and can confirm. 🙂 

I just went and checked the file I used to print name tags and Himself is not on them. I don't remember who the 3 Clergy were, but one of them had a cabin next to the Crows Nest and said something about the fog horn.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I’m late to the party today. I had an early morning appointment at the dermatologist and had a biopsy done on my nose. He’s pretty sure it’s a basal cell and I will need moms surgery which isn’t a big deal since I’ve had it before, but it takes a long time to get an appointment.

About thirty minutes after we came home, DH announced he lost vision in one eye. While we waited for a response from the ophthalmologist, it slowly returned to normal , but he’s being seen now. This can come from small blood vessels, but he just had the covid shot on Monday, so who knows if this is a reaction or if it caused it.

I haven’t had time to read this thread from the beginning, but will do so now while waiting to hear why DHs eye responded the way it did.

Carol

Yikes!  Hope your DH is ok!  Good news that your basal cell is very treatable,   It never rains but it pours.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all! (Just made it under the wire here in Missouri  😉)

Love reading The Daily. Some great days to celebrate. I have been the caregiver for both my mom and my DH. Now he has become my caregiver and what a great job he’s doing!

The recipe looks delicious; I have cooked a dish similar to this; DH is not fond of the apple/onion combo. 

An amaretto sour is my go to drink if nothing else grabs me. Sounds like a delicious wine (I will ignore the licorice & camphor in the description). 

I have not been to Greenland. Looks like a lovely port. Thank you all for the pictures shared.

After an entire year of no one in our family having even a sniffle (thanks to masks and hand washing) my oldest daughter has a really bad respiratory infection. They gave her both a Covid test and a strep test-both negative. They did give her a steroid shot which surprised me. She is sure she knows where she got it. She is a band teacher and has been back to in person teaching since August. She has been so very careful, but last week one of her students had trouble with the mouthpiece on his instrument and she fixed it, but then forgot to immediately sanitize her hands! It only takes messing up once. Missouri just announced they will vaccinate teachers starting in mid-March; hopefully she can get an appointment which will relieve my mind. She teaches in parochial schools (6 of them) and some follow a mask mandate and are very careful and the rest are anything goes ☹️. When the weather was nice they had band outside, but Missouri weather doesn’t allow that in the winter! 

Take care everyone and please, please don’t let up on safety precautions.

St Louis Sal

So sorry to hear!   Hope she feels better soon!  Our daughter is a teacher and it is a huge worry what they face everyday.

• Like 9

Good day Rich and Roy , thank you for keeping the Daily going and a special thank you for adding a New Exciting Feature Port of the day that will call up a lot of fond memories to many of us , and we will see lots of nice pictures . 

I have not made it to Qaqortoq , Greenland but got close to it on the Eurodam by visiting Nanortalik , Greenland in 2012 another lovely Port to visit . Greenland one of those places I never expected to be able to put a foot on land . I will wait with my pictures until it is Nanortaliks turn .

Have a great day everybody , Take Care and Stay Safe , get your Jab so we can soon cruise again ! 

Tony 😀

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I just went and checked the file I used to print name tags and Himself is not on them. I don't remember who the 3 Clergy were, but one of them had a cabin next to the Crows Nest and said something about the fog horn.

Hmm, now I'm really wondering what foggy cruise it was!  I know you were on it too, and I remember you set up a singles' dinner for the roll call.  Does that help? Maybe one of our east coast cruises?

• Like 6

Introducing the port of the day makes the Daily an even better space to check out every day. It is an opportunity to learn about interesting places that perhaps I will never visit. It is also an opportunity to recall places that I have been  and enjoyed. I appreciate all the photos and accompanying comments. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

The only problem was the tiny black flies.  Thankfully I'd been warned, maybe by @dfishand others, so I had lots of insect wipes and used them.  They flew in my face but never landed. 

We spent a few years in rural Maine and one of the many seasons you got to experience each year was "black fly" season. They would swarm and bite any exposed skin and seemed immune to bug repellent. We were happy to see the mosquitoes because that meant we were transitioning out of black fly season. The mosquitoes were a little irritating, but nothing like the black flies. The real joy was seeing the dragonflies and damselflies because they can each eat hundreds of mosquitoes a day.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser do you mean Captain D. D.?  😂  We also love to look inside grocery stores when in port.  You find the most fascinating things!

@Cruising-alongthat pronunciation was the way we were told, too.  After a while it becomes second nature to be able to pronounce it.  I'm sorry you had the flies there.  We never experienced that problem but maybe because we were later in the season both times (Sept. and August).  The worst biting fly issue we ever had was in Red Bay, Canada.  Or in another of our ports in Greenland.  I will have to check where.  Actually, I think I remember the fly issue in both Canada and Greenland.  It really makes you miserable.

Yes.  It was Captain D. D.  We were glad he made the effort to add the other village.  

• Like 7

Thank you so much for adding the port of the day. Love seeing those pictures.  My late husband and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary aboard the Eurodam's first Baltic and TransAtlantic voyage in 2008. We did not stop in Qaqortoq, we stopped at Reykjavik. Greenland is such a beautiful country.

Love the meal for today and that is definitely a recipe I will try

Jane

• Like 12

Back again, to say "Good morning" and thanks to Rich and Roy and the drinks and recipe ladies.   I am still digesting the news we had here in BC that there will be a gap of 4 months between jabs for us, in order to get all the younger people vaccinated with at least one dose.   I did not sleep well.   I am happy that DD and DS will get theirs sooner, but I do want to be able to cruise, and I imagine also, that the border will not be opening any time soon!  Other provinces are watching us, too, and may decide to do the same.

We have booked the Viking Passage cruise a few times - never got to do it though.  Maybe in our future.  

@mamaofami, prayers for you and your DH.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, kazu said:

LOL - we’ve been able to go in our zone here in NB for a number of months.  Very strict protocols in place.  The hairdressers aren’t making as much money as they used to because of it but they are complying without complaint.

Mine is very talented at working around the ears despite the mask 😉 

Much the same here in Iowa.  The salons and barber shops reopened on May 15 and I have gone every 7 weeks since then.  Masks were not required at first, then they were, and now it has been changed back according to the state of Iowa.  The city I live in, however, has a mask ordinance. I always wear one.  

• Like 12

Good morning, all! So the take away from today’s collection of days is: if you want the caregivers to be happy, bring them mulled wine. They certainly deserve it! Pork chops and apples sound good, and certainly fits our cold weather! I’ve come to the conclusion that at least the controversial 4 month gap between 1st and 2nd jabs our province has decided on means I’ll be getting the first jab sooner than otherwise expected. That’s the silver lining today’s quote reminded me of.

It is cool and overcast still, but not freezing and not raining, so I’ll take it!

A year ago today was our second day in Auckland on the GWV. David was feeling better, so we went next door to the ferry terminal and caught the ferry to Waiheke Island. Then we toured the island by HOHO bus. It was a wonderful day of beaches, wineries, and Parmesan fries in a seaside cafe. The climate and scenery reminded me a lot of the Pacific Northwest at the end of summer.

EDF01DBE-4275-4F7A-8926-78A2A27623B3.thumb.jpeg.93508cc7edc2d73f38b6b19aba943184.jpeg

On board the ferry, similar to some of those at home, except here they sell beer on board!

7171EE97-537C-42F6-854A-054FF8256377.thumb.jpeg.e79b207864c357033aeb79093137e665.jpeg

A clue that our world is about to change dramatically.

632EE0A9-5963-4D45-BBD7-11FCE3AC136C.thumb.jpeg.f40d29a0418a2e31bc140f150b706b99.jpeg

Really, this could be the San Juan’s or the Gulf Islands. In fact, they ARE called the Gulf Islands here, making the resemblance to home even greater.

8FAC351D-427A-437E-BFEA-9DBA238CE9CC.thumb.jpeg.2d6f4661a0918a0f32d132155cc4cea8.jpeg

Our HOHO guide, Jason, the best bus tour guide I’ve met, unusual on a HOHO. Love the shirt!

339B150B-6068-47F1-907F-DD33364C2E9F.thumb.jpeg.6a22085d92f33d918582cc97d673f8c1.jpegDCA281FC-0041-47F9-93DB-13D591574303.thumb.jpeg.89f245d86c691dfe03ac67c6279c8cc5.jpeg

E2DB18A5-D506-46DC-B0AF-5FECCD24D99F.thumb.jpeg.1f4c3e4ec7b903bb91b84c18270170f9.jpeg

41BFCFEB-0665-4D4A-92EA-6FE17D244DEC.thumb.jpeg.a4fd145e8bc9fa0b0dca9089dd6e53b5.jpeg964D4E9D-878E-4186-AA9A-3BCE32F15983.thumb.jpeg.c816abe7871d1114458486a1f58d6cbb.jpeg

Onotangi beach, cool water but still good for wading.

1402C080-7B65-4628-A8C5-A0BCBB80B17A.thumb.jpeg.16099ce6d99690328dc730cfa202ceeb.jpeg

The Ent at the end of the beach. A reminder that Lord of the Rings was filmed in New Zealand.

886B527B-5EC3-4DCE-B6F9-761C0313D680.thumb.jpeg.81bb6fff70f22a60a706294f9686c4c0.jpeg

The cafe across from the beach.

4E03C317-9A9C-4536-A779-0220F87A4C46.thumb.jpeg.904e6384635902e357fe79c62c70512a.jpeg

Parmesan fries with a view and a sea breeze.

C003289C-A353-4C74-B27C-28F9D92064E5.thumb.jpeg.e0aecccd7b121c49639055f31629f5b2.jpeg

Next stop: Mudbrick Winery, with fabulous views, great wine, and beautiful gardens.

9BC91CE6-1CBB-4447-9753-CDB9DD057A39.thumb.jpeg.5171c8f474c81af27706f6d2130c545f.jpeg

We took our wine tasting in the lavender garden.

D60B7BDF-854B-4051-A306-BDD2A4412BB9.thumb.jpeg.f2866681d8b2f9b8b7a04481c8a58f56.jpeg

The handmade mudbricks from which the winery gets its name.

95551A57-1182-4538-AC05-3AE080CC9386.thumb.jpeg.3f9d87896e97b1a1d62211950062217b.jpeg

A4CA91D4-8346-41CC-9B88-738B97765D93.thumb.jpeg.969afafb2da04195eaf89edd03b6d469.jpeg

F9322127-EA10-44E7-A1D3-D0414FC43CE9.thumb.jpeg.2289f7533aa8616fb0699e37b2fe6664.jpeg

The views from winery, including a view of Auckland and the Amsterdam through the the haze.

2E867834-5EE9-49FF-9AA3-8E42F03EFC78.thumb.jpeg.df4f43693e16378c28deff2b25048a65.jpeg

The Amsterdam awaits at the end of the day.

And of course, Happy Wednesday!

282A1E1B-E761-47FD-A57B-79C6DFEDA0B3.thumb.jpeg.9b314dcd607bdca473a3dba9bc1b7669.jpeg

• Like 21

While I haven't been to Qaqortoq, I have been to a few ports in Greenland, Nuuk twice,  Sisimiut, and Ilulissat (well, almost).  The 3 ports were part of my 2016 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise.  While we really had no significant encounters with ice on the Northwest Passage, Ilulissat made up for it.  After visiting the NWP ports via Zodiacs, I think we were supposed to use our tenders for the Greenland visits, but ice conditions prevented it.  They also had planned to have local boats come out and give us tours of the harbor but they couldn't reach us.  I did get to go out among the ice fields on a Zodiac cruise, fortunate because even those were cancelled later in the day.  One nice thing on that voyage was a Hot Chocolate Zodiac circulated giving us a mid cruise warmup.

chocboat.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

Afternoon here.... and I am catching up before a Zoom meeting. Hope it will be short and sweet but I fear the worst. Maybe I will put my wine in a cup and blow on it as suggested.

I love the stops I have made in Greenland. My kind of landscape. Our VOV crossing was foggy too. I was so glad that I was on the lower deck. And I remember it was pretty rough on the return. Still.... that is one cruise I would love to repeat.

Susan - where it is 50 today and snow predicted tomorrow. I would prefer rain.

• Like 17

image.thumb.jpeg.9f8a1b75c084a68318fde56ed6b2688e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.648e02b8fae102e6fdb7a8f2e4cefd94.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Sorry so late!!! We have a nice storm today bringing a lot of rain to our area.

I am doing baby hummingbird watch!!

Today is our Shawn’s Birthday and also the little baby hummingbirds hatched. Wish my phone  could do a better zoom !

worried about the rain. I have seen her fly away come back to feed them! They are like the size of little bees. So hope they survive this storm.

🌺All have a great day! 
Denise😊

• Like 18

Another late arrival today!  I am in the process of starting to investigate the "ins and outs" of doing the GWV in 2023.  Am watching some videos that are posted.  I really like the itinerary for 2023, and hoping it will work out.  Lots of questions surrounding such an undertaking!

I was so upset in reading about COVID exposure to cunnori and family at such a stressful time.  I feel it was a totally unwelcome intrusion of a family!  Hoping that if any have a case of the virus that it is mild and without complications.

Still bright and sunny today, with high 60's predicted for the end of the week!  Keep waiting for the "other shoe to drop" weather-wise.  Guess that I will run my car thru the car wash today.  I have been putting it off for several weeks.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 15

Good afternoon everyone!  @Cruising-alongthank you for helping with the pronunciation of the name, I appreciated that.  Looking at your photos however, the black fly looked more like the size of a bird coming at you!  Yikes!!

@mamaofamithat's frightening for you and your DH.  Our DS had something similar happen to him a couple of weeks ago, seeking medical attention immediately.  It turned out to be an aural migraine without headache; first he saw flashes of light, then lost the sight in one eye.  It gradually returned over the next couple of hours, and he hasn't had a recurrence since.  He's never suffered from migraines before (but I certainly have a history of them), so was quite taken aback when he received the diagnosis.  Hopefully it will be the same for your DH.  Please keep us posted; I'll keep you and him in my prayers, hoping for a positive outcome.

@cunnorlsending good healing vibes for your family members who have tested positive.  Hopefully you'll remain covid-free; I'm with the other members who have expressed their feelings of angst toward the uninvited funeral attendee.  I'm still shaking my head over that one.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, highland cruiser said:

Good morning.

Caregiver Appreciation Day, I Want You to be Happy Day, and National Mulled Wine Day!  

All great days.  

The caregiver at the assisted living where Brad's dad was until he passed 6 weeks ago were amazing.  So considerate and kind during the entire process.  They even sent us a beautiful plant which is still blooming.  Caregivers appreciation day should be everyday in my book.

Haven't been to the port in Greenland.  Looks very interesting.  Thanks to all for sharing pictures.

Mulled wine day...our experience with mulled wine was on a Christmas market river cruise in December.  Celebrated at each market with a mug of mulled wine...mug included which I had to pack carefully to get them all home!!  

Thanks for all the information, celebrations and care list.

Stay safe everyone.  Praying for negative covid tests for those needing testing.  

Looking forward to the fog lifting here and the 60 degree weather forecasted.

😷🌞

We collected the mugs during stops during the Christmas Mkt. river cruise, too! We were with "Emerald Waterways" out of Amsterdam ending in Budapest.😊

• Like 9