The Daily for Wednesday Mar 10, 2021

richwmn

I do enjoy hearing the "squeezn' o' the cats" on occasion!

I am named after my dad so I'm technically a junior. Our middle name, Boyle, was the last name of my grandmother's close family friends in Beaver Falls, PA.

It has been raining most of the day here. At this time of year, we all say "well, at least it's not snow!" There has been some thunder too; a little unusual for this time of year in MN. 

I fired up the fire table last evening - no explosions or burning buildings. It was quite pleasant to watch the sunset and enjoy the warmth with a Planter's Punch. I think we will get a lot of use out of this....

image.thumb.png.11b716d803b757206c132b0db2f81d5c.png

• Like 22

Forgot to mention that DH’s mother went by her middle name, Lou.  Her first name was Lahoma. I didn’t even know her first name for years. 

My DH doesn’t have a middle name and neither does his brother. When I asked my MIL why she said that their names were perfect without a middle name. 

My Mom’s middle name is Fern, not a name I would like but she has always been proud of it. Where she came from it was common for girls to be called by both first and middle name. 

• Like 14

48 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all,  interesting information and lots of posts to read!

Victor posted on my philatelic board that his wife had passed away.  He said he will miss her terribly, her laughter and her grumbling.  RIP, Pavlinka Dimitrova Afanasieva.

So sorry to hear this 😢 Prayers for her, Victor and their family and friends 🙏🏻 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. My split pea soup is in the slow cooker as I type! Doing a driveway Happy Hour this afternoon and didn’t want to worry about making dinner. Celebrating my pathology report from my lumpectomy. Both lymph nodes were cancer free and there was a clear margin on the lumpectomy. Just waiting for the cancer clinic appointment to talk about radiation. Apparently the protocol in Canada is always do radiation after lumpectomy regardless of clear margins. Anyway, thrilled with the report.

Wonderful, “toast-worthy” news!🥂

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Victor posted on my philatelic board that his wife had passed away.  He said he will miss her terribly, her laughter and her grumbling.  RIP, Pavlinka Dimitrova Afanasieva.

How sad 

• Like 6

Good morning and thanks all!  Wow, page 4 already! 

I love bagpipes,  DH was a drummer in a pipe band.  Guess my Scottish blood comes out!  Actually I love my middle name,  not named for anyone, but after a natural event.  

We visited Rouen and loved it,   Although when we were having dinner in the main square one evening,  a chill came over me when I realized we were right beside the spot where St. Joan of Arc was killed.  A bit surreal.  I also love all Monet’s paintings of Rouen Cathedral in different light!  

stay safe!  

AB7ADA66-9695-4D21-90C6-61C13EB56F06.jpeg

• Like 23

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Thank you for letting us know, Ann. May she Rest In Peace. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. My split pea soup is in the slow cooker as I type! Doing a driveway Happy Hour this afternoon and didn’t want to worry about making dinner. Celebrating my pathology report from my lumpectomy. Both lymph nodes were cancer free and there was a clear margin on the lumpectomy. Just waiting for the cancer clinic appointment to talk about radiation. Apparently the protocol in Canada is always do radiation after lumpectomy regardless of clear margins. Anyway, thrilled with the report.

Middle names - I mentioned mine was Margareta after my paternal grandmother. My poor sister born a year after me didn’t get a middle name. Her husband uses his middle name because his first name is Elmer. I don’t think I would use it either- no disrespect to people named Elmer intended!

looking forward to a warm afternoon-70F forecast!

Such wonderful news!

• Like 6

I’m now caught up. So glad so see things went ok for you yesterday Roy. One year ago my granddaughter celebrated her eleventh birthday on the Rotterdam. Dale Gonyea was performing that night and posted her pictures and bday info into his acts. She was famous for an evening.  And has memories for a lifetime. This is her at one of our stops. 

8F8B9A20-0611-4AC4-A6CF-1B4033F841DB.jpeg

• Like 20

Good things and bad things today - and we are together in all of this because of Covid - and Rich and Roy, of course!   Victor has had so many responses on the philatelic board, from all over the world, Australia and NZ, the US and Canada, Ireland, the UK, Finland, Denmark, Germany, India, France, Austria, Malaysia, the Czech Republic, and others.  He just posted:  "Thank you for all your good words and your condolescence, my distant friends.

An awful paradox of human life - you understand what you've lost only after you've lost it  "

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

It is a nice almost Spring-like day here.  Something a little different on names.  My DW was born in Taiwan when it was part of Japan.  Although she had a Chinese name, she had a Japanese nickname; Salako.  She later changed it to Sala as she didn't want people to think she was Japanese.  After we were married and came to the U.S. when she mentioned that her name was Sala, some would assume that she meant Sara, assuming wrongly that she couldn't pronounce ells properly.  After a few years we decided to just change her name to Sara.  So for the past 50 years or so, she has been Sara, with no middle name.

Ray

• Like 18

Beautiful pictures of Rouen. Would love to visit there.

My middle name is the same as my mom's, and was my grandmother's first name.

Sailing from Australia to Vancouver, sitting on the balcony, we often heard bagpipes playing, faintly. Finally learned  there was someone on board who had his bagpipes with him, and practiced most days. Not what you expect to hear in the middle of the ocean.

• Like 17

Good afternoon all!

Running late today as I have a package that I ordered from Wayfair and FedEx is having a delivery issue. I had it delivered to a third party (my remodelers business) in case I wasn’t at our place in Branson when it arrived. But somehow they got a wrong address and haven’t been able to deliver it *sigh*. My remodeler is not coming back to finish the bathroom until he has both the mirror from Wayfair and my shower doors (on back order from somewhere). Finally off the phone and I think problem is solved 🤞

It looks like a pea soup day outside, very gloomy, but the temp is almost 70 degrees! So we will skip soup today. And a firm no to the drink. I’ll take any of the wine suggestions.

I shared my middle name the other day. We always thought it odd my grandmother Irene had no middle name (surprised to hear how many people don’t). My great-grandmother Jane did some strange naming of her children, especially the girls. Mildred, Pearl, Violet, all with middle names, then my grandmother with none. But the most interesting of all was my great-aunt Leola. Her middle name was Plaseata. Yes, that is how everybody spelled it. It wasn’t until many years later that my grandmother mentioned my Aunt Lee was named after a character in a novel her mom had been reading. I don’t know what was on Aunt Lee’s birth certificate, but I’m almost positive her name was actually supposed to be Leola Placida 😂. Not much Spanish in our family!!

Celebrating with all the good news here and keeping so many others in my prayers. ❤️

St Louis Sal

• Like 16

More on middle names, DH's middle name is his Mother's maiden name, I'd never heard of that tradition until I met him. Of course now I know lots of families do that.

My cousin has no middle name.  Apparently her Mother thought her first name was too long to have a middle name (Marchelle) but of course we've called her Marci her whole life.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Condolences to you and your friend for his loss.

• Like 6

Today is International Bagpipe Day, Pack Your Lunch Day, and Middle Name Pride Day

Ann , @VictOriann sorry to hear about the passing of your philatelic friends wife Pavlinka  may she Rest in Peace .

As far as my middle name is concerned I am very proud of mine and it is the first name of my paternal grandfather , it is a very rare one : " Ysbrand " .  A name given mostly in the Frisian area in the North of the Netherlands , and has been used since the 12th century and was based from the Germanic language .
As far as the meaning is concerned I have found this , Ys or IJs  is a word for cold , or iron  and Brand for fire or sword . So it can mean different things but I will keep it at " Iron Sword " 

As per the population registers I found out that between 1880 and 2019 on average less than 5 boys per year are born with the first name Ysbrand ! 

Ysbrand-ta77e55b1e8e4b7919a919d2538185b2c5857a558ca958ba0e2d18a2ea7766ddak-hq.thumb.png.f113e2fecc7b0e7989cd4d9791c5a6f7.png

The big reason I am very proud of being named after my grandfather  is another story : I was born during the last few months of WWII in the occupied portion of the Netherlands , my grandfather lived in the Southern Provinces which were already liberated by the Canadian / US armies and in even in his 60's he signed up with the Dutch army , got his uniform and weapon to become a scout so he was able to cross the main rivers  that divide the country as one of the firsts to see his newly born grandson ! 

Tony 😀

• Like 24

2 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
Today is International Bagpipe Day, Pack Your Lunch Day, and Middle Name Pride Day

Ann , @VictOriann sorry to hear about the passing of your philatelic friends wife Pavlinka  may she Rest in Peace .

As far as my middle name is concerned I am very proud of mine and it is the first name of my paternal grandfather , it is a very rare one : " Ysbrand " .  A name given mostly in the Frisian area in the North of the Netherlands , and has been used since the 12th century and was based from the Germanic language .
As far as the meaning is concerned I have found this , Ys or IJs  is a word for cold , or iron  and Brand for fire or sword . So it can mean different things but I will keep it at " Iron Sword " 

As per the population registers I found out that between 1880 and 2019 on average less than 5 boys per year are born with the first name Ysbrand ! 

Ysbrand-ta77e55b1e8e4b7919a919d2538185b2c5857a558ca958ba0e2d18a2ea7766ddak-hq.thumb.png.f113e2fecc7b0e7989cd4d9791c5a6f7.png

The big reason I am very proud of being named after my grandfather  is another story : I was born during the last few months of WWII in the occupied portion of the Netherlands , my grandfather lived in the Southern Provinces which were already liberated by the Canadian / US armies and in even in his 60's he signed up with the Dutch army , got his uniform and weapon to become a scout so he was able to cross the main rivers  that divide the country as one of the firsts to see his newly born grandson ! 

Tony 😀

It sounds like he lived up to his name.  You have every right to be proud to have his name.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I am sitting here in the “waiting room” for my Zoom call for my FEMA training.  Two afternoons of 4 hours each day.

Love split pea soup.  Last time I made it there was enough for several days and some is frozen.  I learned I won’t do that again.  Just go on a HAL cruise and order it anytime it is on the menu.  I would love to contemplate being in Glacier Bay with a mug of soup in hand!

I have a middle name and I use it.  Actually use both names—Mary Kay.  I come from a long line of women named Mary, so a middle name being used was Imperative!

Thoughts to all.  Class is starting

• Like 14

It's a beautiful sunny & warm afternoon in Maryland. And I'm thrilled to report that I have an appointment for my first vaccine shot -- Friday at 9 am! And the location is only 5 minutes from our house. I feel like I've won the lottery!! 😃

• Like 18

9 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is International Bagpipe Day, Pack Your Lunch Day, and Middle Name Pride Day

Meal suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup

Here is a bagpipe trivia question.  In how many keys can a bagpipe be played?

About 15 years ago, I realized that my metabolism had really slowed down, and I did not have to eat as much as previously.  So, I just stopped eating lunch.

Like at least one other previous poster, I was named after my father.  Rather that have Big Ed and Little Ed in the family, I became Mark.  Few acquaintances know that Mark is my middle name.

Love Pea Soup

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

@Vict0riann. It is, of course, very sad to hear of the passing of Pavlinka Dimitrova.

On Middle Name Pride Day it is interesting that in Russia (and, I would assume, other Slavic cultures) your middle name is from your father.  It is called a patronymic.  Pavlinka's father was Dimitri.

8 hours ago, cat shepard said:

With your permission, I will substitute another wine for today. And I invite @XBGuyto do the same.  

LIke I need encouragement.

Staying in the Riesling theme rather than recommend a single wine, I am just going to suggest a Riesling from Germany's Mosel region.  I am sure that there are some readers, here, who have taken a river cruise through Germany's wine regions.  A nice Mosel might be a good remembrance.  Akso, good Mosels are, usually, attractively priced.  For U.S. readers, I just went to the Total Wine web site, and saw that they have a number of examples for less than $30--and a few for more.

While I'm at it, I am going to mention the XBGuy's favorite meal pairing with Riesling.  It's called Vineyard Chicken.  This is something tha Mrs. XBGuy prepares, not me.  However, I can, quickly describe it and any reasonably accomplished cook can fill in the blanks.

First saute some chicken parts--bone-in, boneless, skin-on, skinless, your choice.

Keep the sauteed chicken parts warm while you deglaze the saute pan.  Add some minced garlic (or not) or whatever other savories you would like to add and some white wine.  Of course the rule for cooking with wine is to use only a wine that you would drink.  Hovever, don't use a spendy wine.  You're going to boil it,  A Bogle California Chardonnay will work just as well as a Hospice de Beaune Pouilly Fuisse Poisard.  Also, do not use any product labeled "Cooking Wine."  Such products include additives---particularly, salt.

Here is the fun part.  I suppose that if I was a good recipe writer, I would have told you before to cut a bunch of table grapes in half.  A cup of halved grapes will do it.  Or, if you want more or less, go ahead and do what you want.  Anyway, once the wine has reduced to the amount that you want, add the halved table grapes.  Leave them just for a minute to warm up, and, then remove the saute pan from the heat.

Spoon the reduction sauce with the grapes onto the plated pieces of chicken.

I really think this is a terrific pairing with Rieslings--especially, ones that have some residual sugar (i.e., not dry).

in th

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon all and thanks for the update.  It’s another sunny day here.

My middle name is also Ann,I don’t know if it was after anyone in the family.

I love the sound of bagpipes, nothing can match the sound of the massed band at the Edinburg tattoo. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 13