The Daily for Friday Mar 12, 2021

richwmn

23 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The funeral was at 10:30 and the graveside ceremony at 1.  In between I took the opportunity to get a haircut.  It was WAY overdue.  I had gotten nearly scalped with a haircut in Sydney March 3 when I told the barber I would be at sea for 50 days.  The hair grew slowly after that and when I finally got a haircut 178 days later on August 28 it was long but not all that bad.  Well, it's been 195 days now and I think the hair grew faster.  It was really getting not just long but bothersome.  I would have gone in sooner but then the numbers started growing and I waited until I was vaccinated.  It was so bad I ended tipping close to 100%.

Roy

You and your family were in our thoughts today, Roy.

I hear you on the tipping.  I did the same when I got my first cut as I was so overdue.

• Like 12

I was a Brownie then a Girl Scout, even got to attend a 2-week GS camp. I remember cookies as being 35 cents a box - but I may be mistaken.

I was in preschool [Nursery school] for a very short time something like a few weeks - they needed the teacher to teach another class - her name was Vroegindewey [try spitting that out as a 4-year-old 😄 ].

Flowers were special and our back yard was full of them - we had some speial neighbors we always delivered flowers to on May Day. Great memories I am reliving today.

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

First and foremost, Happy Birthday to all those celebrating!  Hope the next year brings new adventures for everyone! 

I was a Girl Scout briefly.  Only thing I remember is that the cookies were $.50/box.  Compare that to now, and everyone will know it was a long time ago!  Like late 40's/early 50's.

Have been on one call so far today for one county preparing for "snowpocalyse".  If the amounts are close to what is forecasted, it will be a massive storm.  There was someone on the call from the National Weather Service who explained how it is setting up!

A "brooding" wine at $65 is a big risk in my book.  Think I will stick to some of my regulars.

I am so enjoying all the the beautiful Scottish pictures today.  Thanks to everyone for sharing, and sharing your wonderful memories.  I am also enjoying the hummingbird pictures.  How are the eaglets doing?

Have a great rest of the day, everyone

Our eaglets are doing well. The first pic is of the yet-to-be-named eaglets of the Southwest cameras on Captiva Island. Those folk post a lot of great info just above the screen shot.  

90B0A712-02EC-4A5D-A1BC-131B3172F130.jpeg.c431d4e598a24eed49e0e3a695179f9e.jpeg

This is Legacy our only Northeast eaglet. She was named last week. Sadly the other egg was not viable.  She is well fed!

CF3CEB3A-641F-487C-9876-F039AC07B958.jpeg.f40b87d410d9546fe679ca2c8e9045c2.jpeg

• Like 15

34 minutes ago, kazu said:

Now, that’s interesting.  I find it far easier to do photos on my Ipad.

Guess it all depends on what we get used to 😉 

I was thinking about why it is harder for me. I have an older iPad plus severe arthritis and find selecting the pictures harder because of the way they list. On my iPhone they list full screen but on my iPad they list “in miniature”, so since they are so small/tiny that my poor arthritic finger makes too many mistakes.  However I do prefer reading from my iPad because of the size of the screen and it shows more, like the number of posts and where someone is from (why is that?).  And ultimately I prefer the desktop over both of those because of the fact that I can type much faster. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’ll remember the good tips for the vaccination cards (hope we get one) when we get ours - whenever that happens.

Jacqui, I suspect that everyone administering the vaccine plans to give cards. It might be a requirement of my government. 

Hope you get “the offer” soon.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I have never heard of anyone eating a slug.  I have heard of people killing them with salt, though.  What I have learned is that slugs can harbor a parasite that is deadly and can eat poisonous mushrooms.

We used to have a Springer Spaniel who once tried to eat a big West Coast banana slug. He bit it once and was a very, very unhappy boy. He tried everything to wipe that clingy slime out of his mouth. He never even looked at one again

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Our eaglets are doing well. The first pic is of the yet-to-be-named eaglets of the Southwest cameras on Captiva Island. Those folk post a lot of great info just above the screen shot.  

90B0A712-02EC-4A5D-A1BC-131B3172F130.jpeg.c431d4e598a24eed49e0e3a695179f9e.jpeg

And at 47 days, E17 and E18 are almost as big as Mum, if not as sleek!

1572271456_ScreenShot2021-03-12at2_53_59PM.thumb.jpeg.39a81343813e01d3d819a2f7a2b2715e.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui, I suspect that everyone administering the vaccine plans to give cards. It might be a requirement of my government. 

Hope you get “the offer” soon.

I suspect we do, but no one I know has the vaccine yet.  We’re last here because of our status (or because we are Maritimers 😉 ) as a relatively “safe place”.  My friend’s husband who is over 85 is getting his first shot next week.

My neighbours are actually joking with me that they will have an outside party when they are done and I will have to come in a hazmat suit.  I’m down on the list but DH should be 3rd or 4th down, I think.

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I was thinking about why it is harder for me. I have an older iPad plus severe arthritis and find selecting the pictures harder because of the way they list. On my iPhone they list full screen but on my iPad they list “in miniature”, so since they are so small/tiny that my poor arthritic finger makes too many mistakes.  However I do prefer reading from my iPad because of the size of the screen and it shows more, like the number of posts and where someone is from (why is that?).  And ultimately I prefer the desktop over both of those because of the fact that I can type much faster. 

Hmm interesting.  I wonder if your photos are set up differently on your ipad.  My pictures are a decent size if I am searching and if I am browsing one by one, it’s full screen.

But, the older Ipad does make a difference too.  I finally broke down and replaced mine that was 7 years old last year.  There is a big difference!  

Whatever works for each of us is what’s best 😄 

• Like 12

Checking in late today, but I have a good excuse! This former Girl Scout got her first jab (Pfizer) today, scheduled the second shot, then went out for wine & ice cream with my "friend of longest standing!" (We agree that sounds so much better than "oldest friend!")

• Like 20

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks! Got a double bathroom tear down / remodel happenin' Been a bit of a mess; Should be done tomorrow 😉 

Oh my. We did that a few years ago. Every night when I came home over the last 11 days, the bathtub ( a not-small ofaro) was in a different spot of our bedroom.🥴 We finally ended up sleeping in the family room as there was only a small path to the bed, and one tiny spot where you could crawl on. But it was worth it.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

We plan to take our old yellow WHO vaccination  booklets with us, too, when we get vaccinated, in case they will put an official stamp in them.

I never even thought about that! I plan to just slide it into the folder, folder goes in case with the passport. I did snap a picture of both sides to have on my cellphone. The people setting up second appointments were telling people to do that.

St Louis Sal

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Just got an email from my cousin in Saskatchewan (Montmarte).  They are opening up slots for 80+ next week and think he has a good shot (sadly, not yet DW).

Roy

SoCal is offering a vaccine to people who volunteer and work the PODs now. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Oh my. We did that a few years ago. Every night when I came home over the last 11 days, the bathtub ( a not-small ofaro) was in a different spot of our bedroom.🥴 We finally ended up sleeping in the family room as there was only a small path to the bed, and one tiny spot where you could crawl on. But it was worth it.

When we laid hardwood floors we couldn’t walk across them for weeks.  We had to walk out of the bedroom sliding door, walk around the back of the house and go into the kitchen door.   Then they took away my kitchen but not before I grabbed my coffee and coffee pot.  We holed up in our very large bedroom for the remainder 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks! Got a double bathroom tear down / remodel happenin' Been a bit of a mess; Should be done tomorrow 😉 

I am jealous that you have a remodel that is almost finished. We are doing a kitchen/bathroom remodel, started week after New Year’s, still not done. Back order shower doors, mirror I ordered went astray with FedEx & just got delivered today, wrong tile was shipped for the bathroom floor. I feel like I’m jinxed.

St Louis Sal

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

But, the older Ipad does make a difference too.  I finally broke down and replaced mine that was 7 years old last year.  There is a big difference!  

I’ve definitely been thinking about getting a new one. And DH likes to watch Netflix and Prime on mine and once he retires I can see him using it more and more. So I’ll just give him the old one! Yay for me!

• Like 9

Just now, Sharon in AZ said:

I’ve definitely been thinking about getting a new one. And DH likes to watch Netflix and Prime on mine and once he retires I can see him using it more and more. So I’ll just give him the old one! Yay for me!

The best present I ever gave my husband was a Roku.  Then his nephew came over and shared all of his family accounts.  It is now Star Trek everyday followed by the Mandelorian.   I was never a fan of Star Wars, never liked a single of those movies but I like Mandelorian. 

• Like 7

Good evening all . I hope everyone had a great day.

I’ve been to Edinburg many times but not by ship. I think the first time was1998 or 1999. I’ve been to the Tattoo several times, always enjoyable. 
         I love the Royal Mile and the view from the esplanade.I enjoyed dining at The Witchery by the castle and Deacon Brodie’s pub. 

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

If your current Ipad is anywhere near as old a version as mine was you will see a big difference in the video and ability to do more and have a fuller, better picture.

But shh don’t tell him that.  I had tried to use my old one on our last cruise for DH to watch soccer.  Wouldn’t work.

So,I got him his own to use when we cruise and travel so he can catch his soccer games (we always seem to travel when “key” games are on).

Well, since I got him that Ipad, we haven’t gone anywhere.  It should last a long time as it’s barely used except when I update it and do a couple of things to keep it up to snuff.  

• Like 5