Trying to decide on cruise leaving NYC or Boston

jackg962

9 minutes ago, jackg962 said:

We are trying to decide on a New England cruise this October. Our choices are leave NYC or Boston. Any pro's or con's for which port to leave from? We would be flying into either city.

As a native New Yorker I would always recommend visiting NY City...unless of course you have a personal preference for Boston or are very familiar with NY and want to see more of Boston than you have in the past. 

However presumably your New England cruise choices include port calls in Canada. Canada has barred all large cruise ships from their ports until 2022, which means barring some reversal of course in regulations in the US or Canada neither of your cruise choices will be sailing,  From my perspective I see little value of going to the trouble of planning an itinerary like that this year.

• Like 1

I have not sailed out of New York but have a few times out of Boston.  The Boston airport is very easy to move about and find your hotel shuttle.  I have had excellent experiences with Uber drivers in Boston also.

You have good options for an affordable hotel.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jackg962 said:

We are trying to decide on a New England cruise this October. Our choices are leave NYC or Boston. Any pro's or con's for which port to leave from? We would be flying into either city.

Your New England cruise has to call at a foreign port.  What foreign port is on the itinerary? If it is in Canada, Canada is not allowing cruise ships until 2022. Those choices are not going to happen if the foreign port is in Canada. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

We were looking at the Breakaway from NYC or Gem from Boston, both going to at least one port in Canada in October 2021. But now that we know Canadian ports are closed, I am not sure why NCL is advertising these cruises, unless they are anticipating the ports opening early due to vaccines.

1 hour ago, jackg962 said:

We were looking at the Breakaway from NYC or Gem from Boston, both going to at least one port in Canada in October 2021. But now that we know Canadian ports are closed, I am not sure why NCL is advertising these cruises, unless they are anticipating the ports opening early due to vaccines.

NCL leaves from midtown Manhattan which is great , a few blocks from broadway and some great restaurants and entertainment. 

I have cruised out of both.  Cruising out of NYC has an awesome departure and arrival route down the Hudson.  You also pass the Statue of Liberty.  Unless the cruise from NY stops in Boston an advantage to Boston is less travel time to N. England.  However, cruising down/up the Hudson is worth the price of admission.IMG_0275a.thumb.jpg.65dd0dec17809e830e141070cdf24b03.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackg962 said:

But now that we know Canadian ports are closed, I am not sure why NCL is advertising these cruises,

There are many who feel the same way...questioning why these cruises are still being sold. NCL stopped taking new reservations some time ago on its Alaska itineraries that have a similar problem with a necessary  port call in Canada although it did not actually cancel the cruises yet. Anyone already booked still has a reservation.

Essentially they're hoping that something can be worked out where either Canada lifts its restrictions or the US grants a temporary waiver to the PVSA regulations requiring ships to make a foreign port call. 

Edited by njhorseman

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 12:22 PM, jackg962 said:

Should you be able to do this cruise ,I think not,to me as a native New Yorker I would suggest leaving from Boston .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback.  Unless  I end up going with  NCL or Royal; Princess only departs from Brooklyn.  As of now I have a Princess NE cruised booked.

8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Unless  I end up going with  NCL or Royal; Princess only departs from Brooklyn.  As of now I have a Princess NE cruised booked.

The sailaway from Bayonne, where Royal Caribbean docks, is also not nearly as visually stunning as a departure from Manhattan.

njhorseman;  I know nothing compares to being in Manhattan with all the tall buildings, and then sailing down the river past the Statue of Liberty, and under the Verazzano Bridge.  However,  I have sailed NCL before and they are my least fav between the three: Princess, Royal, and NCL.  Thanks for the feedback and have a great Sunday.  The weather is beautiful

On 3/18/2021 at 8:17 PM, mskaufman said:

I have cruised out of both.  Cruising out of NYC has an awesome departure and arrival route down the Hudson.  You also pass the Statue of Liberty.  Unless the cruise from NY stops in Boston an advantage to Boston is less travel time to N. England.  However, cruising down/up the Hudson is worth the price of admission.IMG_0275a.thumb.jpg.65dd0dec17809e830e141070cdf24b03.jpg

Is this a new cruise line?

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No- it been around for many years - much lower fares than NCL, but comparable service/food.

I rode this line many times growing up.  My dad worked in Lower Manhattan in the US Customs house;  we rode from Staten Island to lower Manhattan and walked to my dads office

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I rode this line many times growing up.  My dad worked in Lower Manhattan in the US Customs house;  we rode from Staten Island to lower Manhattan and walked to my dads office

My first job was at 1 Broadway as a computer operator in 1967 working for a cruise line US Lines , had the perfect view of the Statue of Liberty, worked in that area for ten years, remember seeing the World Trade Center being built . 

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

When I worked in lower Manhattan I would spend the occasional summer lunch hour on a round trip from South Ferry to Staten Island.  When I planned ahead, I would bring a sandwich and a drink from home -- which was preferable to the on-board cuisine.

• Like 1