Celebrity Silhouette to sail from UK 2021

Ulsteinvik

I assume Celebrity will write / email their already booked customers to inform about this change?? If I was not following this thread on this forum, I would not be aware of it. I hope it will change before my cruise on 3rd July as it seems a bit OTT. 🙄

50 minutes ago, Caribean03 said:

I have just had a conversation with celebrity regarding the issue of PCR testing, when we booked the terms and conditions were 2 Covid jabs needed with 14 days…which we met.

They have decided to change the goal posts.

Their customer service have said they are looking at complimentary testing, but still very vague …how or where we get these tests…they are looking into it.

we have unfortunately paid in full for our cruses so are now in a situation, in what to do. We feel very misled in the whole situation, we wouldn’t have booked if we needed PCR TESTING.

I don’t think you will be alone in feeling that way.

It is not a U.K. gov requirement as other lines are not asking for it so Celebrity have chosen to impose this stress and expense on customers after the final payment date for those on the earlier cruises. 

P&O for example are doing complimentary testing on embarkation which makes more sense. A PCR test 3 days before means you have 3 days to potentially be infected, especially as most people will be travelling to Southampton by plane/ train/ car with service area stops.

I also wonder how they will handle communication of this new requirement to those who don’t follow cruise critic.

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t think you will be alone in feeling that way.

It is not a U.K. gov requirement as other lines are not asking for it so Celebrity have chosen to impose this stress and expense on customers after the final payment date for those on the earlier cruises. 

P&O for example are doing complimentary testing on embarkation which makes more sense. A PCR test 3 days before means you have 3 days to potentially be infected, especially as most people will be travelling to Southampton by plane/ train/ car with service area stops.

I also wonder how they will handle communication of this new requirement to those who don’t follow cruise critic.

Excellent point about communication by CC - good thing it exists as most of the cruise lines have been appalling.  As to the new requirements, beyond frustrating and will cause issues for a great many people who dont live on Southampton's doorstep - we have to travel down the day before from Scotland.  Have been onto Celebrity to request clarity on what will be needed or arranged - waste of time - next step - a "Without Prejudice" letter referencing breach of contract to their Corporate Communications people - that always gets a quick response

2 hours ago, cublet said:

Vivo Clinic           £125 for a 24 hour service

Boots Chemist   £99    for a 48 hour service

Superdrug           £120  for a 24 hour service

Nomad Travel    £170  for a 20 hour service

I have read that Gatwick airport has a drive through PCR testing centre at a cost of £99 for a PCR test only, and £80 for a PCR fit to fly test, though not sure what the difference is. They aim to deliver the results by 10pm the day after you have the test. Useful for those close to Gatwick, and a reasonable price. It may be worth checking other airports to see if they also offer a similar service.

Edited by downsmead

3 hours ago, cublet said:

What's not been stated is when the "Additional testing and protocols will be confirmed nearer to the point of sailing" will be, and will they be the last word with no late surprises and whether they could be accepted as grounds for cancellation if unable to be met by the passengers.

I would be very concerned that my test result didn’t arrive in time to cancel under Cruise with Confidence.( up to 48 hrs before sailing).

I assume that if Celebrity believe that to be safe we need to take a test 3 days before sailing, they are also doing the same with the crew. They should also be required to take a PCR test 3 days before each sailing. Otherwise it is nonsense.

What is the point them stating "Crew members on board will be vaccinated" if they do not believe that is enough!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, teabear said:

Excellent point about communication by CC - good thing it exists as most of the cruise lines have been appalling.  As to the new requirements, beyond frustrating and will cause issues for a great many people who dont live on Southampton's doorstep - we have to travel down the day before from Scotland.  Have been onto Celebrity to request clarity on what will be needed or arranged - waste of time - next step - a "Without Prejudice" letter referencing breach of contract to their Corporate Communications people - that always gets a quick response

Writing to the Corporate side always works - just had a call from Celebrity who have confirmed that as of now they are requiring the PCR test which has to be done WITHIN 72 hours of departure - note the difference that one word makes.   They are also in the process of finalizing ways and means to cover the costs for passengers and expect to be able to announce this next week.  Their cancellation/refund policy will apply for anyone booked who does not wish to take a test  - they are not in a position to state whether this policy (or any other it appears) will be in force after June 21st.   Not sure if any of this helps anyone but you are welcome to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, teabear said:

Writing to the Corporate side always works - just had a call from Celebrity who have confirmed that as of now they are requiring the PCR test which has to be done WITHIN 72 hours of departure - note the difference that one word makes.   They are also in the process of finalizing ways and means to cover the costs for passengers and expect to be able to announce this next week.  Their cancellation/refund policy will apply for anyone booked who does not wish to take a test  - they are not in a position to state whether this policy (or any other it appears) will be in force after June 21st.   Not sure if any of this helps anyone but you are welcome to it.

Thank you Teabear, that's really helpful. I vote you are nominated as head of corporate communications for us staycationers over the next few months. 

Just now, dalesmouse said:

Thank you Teabear, that's really helpful. I vote you are nominated as head of corporate communications for us staycationers over the next few months. 

I’ll second that.  Well done.  Some clarity in difficult times is appreciated 

14 minutes ago, teabear said:

But the wording on their website differs to what you've been advised:

Testing and Screening

All guests are required to present a negative PCR test administered 72 hours prior to boarding.

This clearly outlines that PCR test must be taken 72 hours prior to boarding - not within 72 hours of departure.  Given that we know most take up to 48 hours for results, anyone sailing on a Saturday will only have Weds AM to complete their test to ensure they get the resuts back by Friday prior to boarding just the day after.  

And what if (hopefully not!) that the results are inconclusive (as they warn you this can happen) and you have to retake the test.  There's no chance of getting that done and results on the day before sailing to prove you're negative.

Edited by missminnie

8 minutes ago, missminnie said:

But the wording on their website differs to what you've been advised:

Testing and Screening

All guests are required to present a negative PCR test administered 72 hours prior to boarding.

This clearly outlines that PCR test must be taken 72 hours prior to boarding - not within 72 hours of departure.  Given that we know most take up to 48 hours for results, anyone sailing on a Saturday will only have Weds AM to complete their test to ensure they get the resuts back by Friday prior to boarding just the day after.  

As it would be virtually impossible for all passengers to have a test administered exactly 72 hours prior to boarding, they would have to be tested either before or after the 72 hour mark. As Celebrity is looking for current test results, not results possibly from two or three weeks before the cruise, logic dictates that you must be tested WITHIN 72 hours of boarding. Celebrity demonstrates extremely poor writing skills on an ongoing basis, and the webpages are filled with contradictions, errors, omissions, and a frequent lack of clarity. Go with the information provided verbally to @teabear

• Like 1

Out of interest, for my 17th July cruise it says online check in not yet available, an email will be sent advising me when it opens. Are others getting this too? I’m sure it was open briefly but may be mistaken. Perhaps the PCR information and anything other details, such as only X excursions, will be spelt out in that email. If so, I suspect it will only be sent ~30 days before sailing. If others do not have thus message, then that is my theory out of the window!

Hello,

Because of the late change in requiring a PCR test prior to embarkation, I have had to move my 17th July to 31st July already.

I was due to be on MSC Virtuosa 10th - 17th July and therefore unable to take the test.

So I am not the happiest bunny in the whole wide world as I now have to do an extra round trip to Southampton AND (hopefully only temporary) my 31st July booking is not showing 'Always Included' Drinks, WiFi & Gratuities.

Grrrrr.

Regards,

Cublet

Definitely clarity is needed about the PCR test, as stated previously one word can make all the difference. I contacted Celebrity via Twitter when I first heard about the necessity for a PCR test. This is the response from Celebrity:

"Hi, yes that is correct. Currently all guests are required to have a negative PCR test result 72 hours prior to boarding. We will soon be contacting booked guests with more information."

That seems to state that you need the result 72 hours before departure!!! 😕 Hopefully when they get as far as contacting booked guests it will be more straightforward.

Laslomas

I have posted this on Twitter today. Hopefully I will get a prompt reply as you did.

They seem to check the Social media boards, rather than these.

@CelebrityCruises-And will Cruise with Confidence still be effective if the result of the test is NOT returned in 48 hrs?
Surely a Lateral Flow test would be safer, as that could be taken on embarkation morning.

A test days before is a waste of time as people could become infected on the plane/ train/ bus/ car service area on the way there.

A test on the morning of embarkation would be more effective and less of an inconvenience to customers.

From CelebrityCruises in reply to my query this morning.(post 220):

“The final details of testing requirement are still being fine tuned. Rest assured, full details on the testing requirements and process will be confirmed to guests soon.”

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

I think everyone is going overboard with this 72 hours. I have always read that as the test must be taken within 72 hours otherwise we would have to know the exact time we are boarding and work backwards.

Poor writing communication skills on Celebrities part but no surprise, I have yet to find a company that can write these days. 

According to a tweet from James Van Fleet (Royal Caribbean's chief meteorologist) they are testing a rapid PCR test at embarkation that gives a result in 30 minutes, perhaps that's the way forward?

• Like 1

Was about to book but will hold off now due to PCR test.

We have a viking one booked for next month and they are just asking for a quick test on embarkation and a test in the morning each day, left in the cabin. I think this is too much hassle with Celebrity's protocol...will wait and see if things change.

On 5/25/2021 at 12:03 PM, downsmead said:

I have read that Gatwick airport has a drive through PCR testing centre at a cost of £99 for a PCR test only, and £80 for a PCR fit to fly test, though not sure what the difference is. They aim to deliver the results by 10pm the day after you have the test. Useful for those close to Gatwick, and a reasonable price. It may be worth checking other airports to see if they also offer a similar service.

Southampton airport now offering:

RAPID ANTIGEN TEST AT THE AIRPORT

Testing: Takes place at Southampton Airport within the airport terminal
Results: 12 - 15 minutes - results are then sent to you by email
Cost: £55 per test
On sale: Available 26 May onwards
> More Info

Book £55

PCR DRIVE-THRU TEST

Testing: Takes place at Southampton Airport in Priority Car Park
Results: Delivered by email within 12 or 24 hours
Cost: 12hr : £150 | 24hr : £80
The hours quoted above relate to the speed at which your result is given by email.

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Southampton airport now offering:

RAPID ANTIGEN TEST AT THE AIRPORT

Testing: Takes place at Southampton Airport within the airport terminal
Results: 12 - 15 minutes - results are then sent to you by email
Cost: £55 per test
> More Info

Book £55

PCR DRIVE-THRU TEST

Testing: Takes place at Southampton Airport in Priority Car Park
Results: Delivered by email within 12 or 24 hours
Cost: 12hr : £150 | 24hr : £80
The hours quoted above relate to the speed at which your result is given by email.

Useful to know, thanks. We had planned to be down a few nights before the cruise to visit relatives in Winchester,  so if Celebrity don’t provide their own PCR tests, then this could be a good option.