solo travelers- bed configuration

pinklucky61

Will be by myself in cabin for 1st time next February.  I opted for twin beds, at home I just stick to one side of queen bed.  Just wondering what other solo travelers usually opt for, is it a big deal to you whether beds split or not?

• Like 1

The arrangement of the cabin is what influences me as to how I want the beds arranged.  If it is an outside cabin with the head of the bed located under the window/porthole, I ask that the beds to be split into twins so that I have easy access to the window/porthole.  If the head of the bed is against an interior wall, I will not ask the bed to be split.   

• Like 3

I think it depends on the cabin size also.  I usually prefer them together but once I had an inside cabin, which had 2 additional beds above.  With my beds together, I had a difficult time getting out without having to bend down so I didn't hit my head on the bed above (they were not completely recessed). I should have had the room steward split my bed so I could get out on the side opposite the wall but I didn't want to bother him.  I think if i were in this situation again, I would probably request it the first day but in general I prefer a larger bed.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, pinklucky61 said:

Will be by myself in cabin for 1st time next February.  I opted for twin beds, at home I just stick to one side of queen bed.  Just wondering what other solo travelers usually opt for, is it a big deal to you whether beds split or not?

I was thinking about this as well.  I think I'd be comfortable either way, but I thought I'd have them separate the beds and use the spare one for towel animals, a teddy bear I may or may not take with me (don't judge!!!), and for laying out clothes.  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, DSJ28 said:

I was thinking about this as well.  I think I'd be comfortable either way, but I thought I'd have them separate the beds and use the spare one for towel animals, a teddy bear I may or may not take with me (don't judge!!!), and for laying out clothes.  

I have a king at home so on a cruise ship, I'll have the beds together (to make a queen?). And, I still expect a towel animal on my bed, coming back to my stateroom after a long night of pub crawls and drinking (also, don't judge!!!).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, DSJ28 said:

use the spare one for towel animals, a teddy bear I may or may not take with me (don't judge!!!), and for laying out clothes.  

I found using that spare bed to be a great place to stash "stuff" that I have bought and a very convenient spot to put a piece of luggage and keep it open if one does not want to fully unpack the bag.  

I have 2 college friends who take a doll type replica of our University's mascot with them on every trip they go.  There will always be at least one photo where the mascot appears in a picture with them that helps to identify where the mascot is.  I think it's a neat idea!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I have 2 college friends who take a doll type replica of our University's mascot with them on every trip they go.  There will always be at least one photo where the mascot appears in a picture with them that helps to identify where the mascot is.  I think it's a neat idea!  

I love it!  My plush baby Yoda loves to travel!!! And - he's a blanket hog - so he can have his own bed! 

• Like 3

I’ve had the beds together in the past, but on my next solo cruise have decided to go with the two twin configuration. I’ve always found the twin bed comfy and roomy enough when sharing a cabin. And I like the idea of having the second bed for staging my clothing and gear for the next morning, especially on a port-intensive itinerary.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I travel on Cunard's Queen Mary 2, and I have traveled with a pal where we had the beds in Twin mode. On my last two voyages as a solo. I had the bed in Queen mode and it seemed more comfortable.

I asked my Butler if these were new beds and he said no and explained that When the beds are in Queen Mode a cover layer of memory foam is added to the bed to eliminate any space. between the two  twin beds.

So for me traveling solo, it will be Queen mode just for me. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

When the beds are in Queen Mode a cover layer of memory foam is added to the bed to eliminate any space. between the two  twin beds.

The same is done on Princess and HAL ships on which I have sailed and have had a Queen Bed arrangement.  

If I have a regular inside or above room I like to have the beds together. I do find the Solo Studio cabins beds which seem to equal a Full mattress is sufficient. On my next cruise I am going to ask if the bed can be pushed against the wall to give just a bit more bedside space. 

• Like 1

I always sail in a balcony(cheapest I can get for the itinerary I want)so fortunately room size not an issue.  Most often I keep bed queen, unless the itinerary is jammed packed with ports AND the particular ship I'm on  has no loveseat in their lowest $ balcony rooms.  Then I go twin and at night layout on the other twin next day's clothes, essentials, guidebooks shore bag etc. I may need for a full day on the other twin......so I'm sure I have everything I may need.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm not in a studio, I ask the steward to keep the beds together, but put them in one corner, giving me more floor space, and a bigger walk way beside the bed.  Night before debarkation, it's sometimes a chore fishing the suitcases out from way back in the far corner.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, Bigmike911 said:

I travel on Cunard's Queen Mary 2, and I have traveled with a pal where we had the beds in Twin mode. On my last two voyages as a solo. I had the bed in Queen mode and it seemed more comfortable.

I asked my Butler if these were new beds and he said no and explained that When the beds are in Queen Mode a cover layer of memory foam is added to the bed to eliminate any space. between the two  twin beds.

So for me traveling solo, it will be Queen mode just for me. 

Good to know, Mike.  I'll keep that in mind for my solo cruise on the Queen Victoria next year.

It depends on room size/configuration.  

In a smaller room (inside or window), I prefer the beds apart and pushed against the walls on each side so that the walkway between the beds is an extension of the vanity/couch (or chair) area of the room.  

In a larger room, I let the room steward choose which they prefer, because it really doesn't matter to me.  I sleep just fine on a deck lounger, so a twin bed is plenty big enough for me!  LOL

• Like 1