How do we persuade P&O to add a port call to the Iona 7 night cruises?

sidekick180

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how we can persuade the powers that be in P&O to change the itinerary and make at least one port call on the Iona 7 night cruises. Obviously, there was no port call when I made my booking, but I was still happy to go ahead and book. Having said that, at the time of my booking the only ship that had a port call, was the last Britannia 6 night summer cruise. Since I made my booking, P&O suddenly decided to change things a bit and add some 7 night cruises with a port stop. If I had waited, I would have chosen one of these, but I didn't want to leave my booking too long and risk not being able to book something. I think it's only fair that P&O should now also offer a port call for all the Iona 7 nighters. Especially as these were more expensive than the ones currently on offer for Britannia. How can we convince them to be more fair?? Perhaps we could get everyone to email P&O and ask them to do it. They seem to have been swayed by guest feedback and demand when it came to changing the Britannia short breaks to 7 night breaks.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how we can persuade the powers that be in P&O to change the itinerary and make at least one port call on the Iona 7 night cruises. Obviously, there was no port call when I made my booking, but I was still happy to go ahead and book. Having said that, at the time of my booking the only ship that had a port call, was the last Britannia 6 night summer cruise. Since I made my booking, P&O suddenly decided to change things a bit and add some 7 night cruises with a port stop. If I had waited, I would have chosen one of these, but I didn't want to leave my booking too long and risk not being able to book something. I think it's only fair that P&O should now also offer a port call for all the Iona 7 nighters. Especially as these were more expensive than the ones currently on offer for Britannia. How can we convince them to be more fair?? Perhaps we could get everyone to email P&O and ask them to do it. They seem to have been swayed by guest feedback and demand when it came to changing the Britannia short breaks to 7 night breaks.

I can understand your disappointment but with P and O flexible transfer scheme could you just transfer to one of the Britannia port cruises. 

• Like 2

While they are at it they can solve the whole insurance cover debacle by making the port Cobn or Dublin. Can't do that as Ireland is a foreign country. If so why is it a common travel area with the UK and they have not closed the border with Northern Ireland have they so you can just drive across anyway

More hysterical laughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

Whilst I would have thought that testing port day procedures on Iona would be a good idea in preparation for her first ‘real’ cruises, there must be some good reason why they haven’t included a port day. It has probably nothing to do with fairness, more what they are or aren’t allowed or able to do. If so, there is little point flooding them with emails. You made your booking (along with everybody else) in the knowledge that there would be no port calls, it seems as though you will be getting exactly what you booked (which some may prefer anyway).

• Like 1

I totally agree with the OP. I can't see  P&O adding a port out of the goodness of their hearts,  but a sound financial one might work. Such as all the money they would make from organised tours. And maybe the free PR from having the brand new Iona call at ports, TV coverage etc. And do they really want Iona to be possibly the only ship doing 7 night sailings in British Waters not calling at a port? After all there is a lot more competition for the British isles cruises  than there was 2 weeks ago and many pax might cancel or transfer their Iona cruise to go to a rival. I'm certainly thinking about it

Cathy

• Like 1

How about getting P&O to allow the sale of the drinks package to the 3 and 4 night cruises?

It is not going to happen as it will cost P&O money as will adding a port for the 7 night Iona cruises. Have you seen how much port fees are?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I would consider it a bonus if a port call was added to our September booking for Iona. I won't be chasing them for it though.  Quite happy to spend the days sitting on the balcony slurping whatever I've brought back from the bar...

Things are changing so fast, whatever you do may turn out wrong. We are hoping for late summer fly cruises in the med.

16 hours ago, ann141 said:

I can understand your disappointment but with P and O flexible transfer scheme could you just transfer to one of the Britannia port cruises. 

I probably could transfer, although it would mean sorting out loads of things that we had already arranged. We decided to leave things as they are for now, just in case any changes take place. Our cruise isn't until 18th September, so we have plenty of time to transfer if we wanted to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pete14 said:

Whilst I would have thought that testing port day procedures on Iona would be a good idea in preparation for her first ‘real’ cruises, there must be some good reason why they haven’t included a port day. It has probably nothing to do with fairness, more what they are or aren’t allowed or able to do. If so, there is little point flooding them with emails. You made your booking (along with everybody else) in the knowledge that there would be no port calls, it seems as though you will be getting exactly what you booked (which some may prefer anyway).

I totally agree that I have got exactly what I booked, and if you read my post again, it does say that I was happy to book, knowing that there was no port stop. I was just saying that, as they have now added 7 night breaks on Britannia With Port calls, perhaps they could add a port call to the Iona 7 night breaks. I will still be happy to join the Iona for 7 nights, regardless of whether or not they stop at any ports. Just being able to cruise again will be fantastic. It would still be an added bonus if they did manage to make a stop somewhere.

• Like 2

Honestly, I'll be surprised if Iona sails with no port calls by the time it's all said and done. It appears P&Os stance is very much "worst case scenario". I think it's easier for them to plan for the worst but expect the best. Case in point, vaccinations amongst children and port calls. Everyone has booked on these facts and it's easier for P&O to change their policy for the better as it will make existing bookings happier and open up another path for future bookings. It's a lot harder to promise a port call in (eg) Liverpool and Scotland and then for D-Day (21st June) to get pushed back because of a rise in cases and for P&O to say they are sailing with no port calls. 

They would've got backlash either at the beginning or nearer to the sailings, they have been sensible and taken the negative press early on when it will be forgotten about or policies amended by the time they sail. 

Edited by oleb84
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, oleb84 said:

Honestly, I'll be surprised if Iona sails with no port calls by the time it's all said and done. It appears P&Os stance is very much "worst case scenario". I think it's easier for them to plan for the worst but expect the best. Case in point, vaccinations amongst children and port calls. Everyone has booked on these facts and it's easier for P&O to change their policy for the better as it will make existing bookings happier and open up another path for future bookings. It's a lot harder to promise a port call in (eg) Liverpool and Scotland and then for D-Day (21st June) to get pushed back because of a rise in cases and for P&O to say they are sailing with no port calls. 

They would've got backlash either at the beginning or nearer to the sailings, they have been sensible and taken the negative press early on when it will be forgotten about or policies amended by the time they sail. 

Whilst many would like a port stop, there may be some resistance from those who have booked expecting not to stop anywhere. Although I have not booked any of these cruises, there are some ports I would probably not want to get off the ship in, preferring to be sailing rather than stuck in port for the day. After all, that would be what everybody will have booked.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, oleb84 said:

Anything is possible but I doubt that P&O will change their plans, unless they find they are losing too many sales to those lines that are including port stops.

But I imagine that one of their main reasons will be that by August, if Boris's road map out of lockdown has been successful, there would be no reason not to allow passengers to do their own thing in the ports, because all other holidaymakers will be doing just that.

11 hours ago, pete14 said:

Whilst many would like a port stop, there may be some resistance from those who have booked expecting not to stop anywhere. Although I have not booked any of these cruises, there are some ports I would probably not want to get off the ship in, preferring to be sailing rather than stuck in port for the day. After all, that would be what everybody will have booked.

I'm not going to moan if port(s) are added to our September Iona cruise.  However, depending which ports are added we probably won't get off. Certainly won't get off at Le Havre or Vigo, and probably wouldn't get off at Brest.  Would get off at La Rochelle  and La Corunna, but only if we could go ashore independantly.

Current plan is to treat ourselves to the drinks package, sit back and chillout.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I'm not going to moan if port(s) are added to our September Iona cruise.  However, depending which ports are added we probably won't get off. Certainly won't get off at Le Havre or Vigo, and probably wouldn't get off at Brest.  Would get off at La Rochelle  and La Corunna, but only if we could go ashore independantly.

Current plan is to treat ourselves to the drinks package, sit back and chillout.

I totally agree, although the way things are going in France, a port stop there would not be an option. We are also going to sit back and chill out with plenty of alcohol. I wont be paying for the drinks package though. I don't think I could get through enough alcohol to justify the cost. For the first time, we will each be taking a litre of booze on board when we embark. Once that runs out we will just have to pay for them. Which September cruise are you on?

6 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

I totally agree, although the way things are going in France, a port stop there would not be an option. We are also going to sit back and chill out with plenty of alcohol. I wont be paying for the drinks package though. I don't think I could get through enough alcohol to justify the cost. For the first time, we will each be taking a litre of booze on board when we embark. Once that runs out we will just have to pay for them. Which September cruise are you on?

We're on 11 Sep.

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We're on 11 Sep.

Just make sure you tidy up and lock up before you leave..... We'll be going on on the 18th!!😀

Our plan is to just chill out too.

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 1

The way I see it there is more chance of hell freezing over before P&O add a port stop. Have you seen the cost of port fees? Example below.

PortMiami

Port Everglades

Port Canaveral

Harmony of the Seas

$81,720

$60,881

$15,693

Celebrity Solstice

$43,876

$32,688

$10,392

Oceania Regatta

$6,661

$8,120

$3,588

21 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

The way I see it there is more chance of hell freezing over before P&O add a port stop. Have you seen the cost of port fees? Example below.

PortMiami

Port Everglades

Port Canaveral

Harmony of the Seas

$81,720

$60,881

$15,693

Celebrity Solstice

$43,876

$32,688

$10,392

Oceania Regatta

$6,661

$8,120

$3,588

Not sure if those prices are really relevant. What are the costs for Belfast and Liverpool?

57 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure if those prices are really relevant. What are the costs for Belfast and Liverpool?

They are not much different. For Southampton for example P&O have to pay in the region of £30k for Britannia just to enter the harbour. Belfast won't be as much but enough that P&O won't have factored for it so won't want to add it when there is no need as people are booking with a port call.

That is why if P&O dont dock at a port either through bad weather or any other reason they do not reimburse the port taxes/fees to cruisers which they have paid for in their cruise price they keep it because it is easy money for P&O and pure profit.

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

That is why if P&O dont dock at a port either through bad weather or any other reason they do not reimburse the port taxes/fees to cruisers which they have paid for in their cruise price they keep it because it is easy money for P&O and pure profit.

You can of course claim compensation from your insurance company for a missed port, but I agree with you regarding P&O pocketing the savings. I suppose P&O could argue that by not being in port, their fuel spend will increase, so they face additional costs.